AskEU: Hand-held Vacs
2020-06-30 11:41:49 UTC
I have an upright Dyson vacuum cleaner which is very good for expanses
of floor, but the hose/pipe is awkward and unweildy for cracks, corners,
small spaces and off-the-floor areas so I am looking to get a
hand-held to supplement it.

At the moment I am looking fairly favourably at the Black & Decker PD
1820L. Does anyrat have any experience with/knowledge of this model
and/or any recommendations?
Wrexham, UK
Mike
2020-06-30 12:38:25 UTC
I have an upright Dyson vacuum cleaner which is very good for expanses
of floor, but the hose/pipe is awkward and unweildy for cracks, corners,
small spaces and off-the-floor areas so I am looking to get a
hand-held to supplement it.
At the moment I am looking fairly favourably at the Black & Decker PD
1820L. Does anyrat have any experience with/knowledge of this model
and/or any recommendations?
We have the PD1200 Flexi model from a few years back; not a great deal of
suction - even after cleaning out filter, hose (by unscrewing fitting from
body) and the entire vacuum line. Can’t recall if it was any stronger when
new though - it sucks really - but not a lot.
2020-07-01 12:29:04 UTC
I have an upright Dyson vacuum cleaner which is very good for expanses
of floor, but the hose/pipe is awkward and unweildy for cracks, corners,
small spaces and off-the-floor areas so I am looking to get a
hand-held to supplement it.
At the moment I am looking fairly favourably at the Black & Decker PD
1820L. Does anyrat have any experience with/knowledge of this model
and/or any recommendations?
We have the PD1200 Flexi model from a few years back; not a great deal of
suction - even after cleaning out filter, hose (by unscrewing fitting from
body) and the entire vacuum line. Can’t recall if it was any stronger when
new though - it sucks really - but not a lot.
Don’t know that it was. I suspect you get what you pay for. I have to buy
the lightest model going, being the only one I can handle.

Sincerely Chris
Peter
I have a B&D Dustbuster which is useless.
Mike
2020-07-01 12:33:57 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Jenny M Benson
I have an upright Dyson vacuum cleaner which is very good for expanses
of floor, but the hose/pipe is awkward and unweildy for cracks, corners,
 small spaces and off-the-floor areas so I am looking to get a
hand-held to supplement it.
At the moment I am looking fairly favourably at the Black & Decker PD
1820L.  Does anyrat have any experience with/knowledge of this model
and/or any recommendations?
I have a B&D Dustbuster which is useless.
And whilst this thread is still fresh and active:
If anyrats are looking for a carpet cleaner and you fancy having to clean
out the wet suction chamber by the application of a garden hose on full
thrust, you could do worse than choose a Vax Dual Power* carpet cleaner.

The problem is that fibres are lifted out of the carpet along with the
dirty water and though the water continues up into the waste tank, many of
the clogging fibres remain stuck in a rather inaccessible chamber. Having
had much correspondence with the supplier who in turn contacted Vax, the
hosepipe down the water collection hose routine is the recommended solution
followed up with poking pipe cleaners into a narrow slit to clear the rest,
I am still in correspondence with the supplier but think that this
particular machine might be winging its’ way back to them soon!

*Note that the ‘Dual Power’ is NOT the same as the ‘Dual Power Pro’ or any
other model.
2020-07-01 18:41:40 UTC
On Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:33:57 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Mike
[...]
Hmm, Vax does it again, by the sound of it.

I recently (last year) replaced the Vax vacuum cleaner I bought soon after
we moved here in 2008 - it was a reduced to clear, end of line, display
item from Currys in the town (long since closed). It was the heaviest (and
possibly noisiest) machine I'd ever had but I quite liked the headlight -
bulb failed after a couple of years and I balked at buying a whole new
headlight when accessing the bulb was quite easy, it wasn't a car for
goodness sake!

I also liked the easy top access to the beater roller - when you have long
hair which needs cutting off the roller after every use this is a definite
plus. The places which tend to get clogged in the non-flexible bits of the
tubing were not only transparent so you could see when that was the problem
but also easily opened for clearing. It did get through two beater rollers
in the 11 years I used it which seemed about par for a vac, the second one
eventually killed the part which secured it so it was not worth repairing
again.

I bought another Vax in the belief their design team had some insight into
problems faced by users. This is much lighter and probably the most
powerful and quietest vac I've ever owned. Such a shame I need to turn it
on its side, undo three small screws and dismantle a confusing plastic
thing in order to extract the roller brush to clean it. The flexible hose
is connected down near the floor instead of high on the handle (which
itself is the clip-on extension tube) so that's really awkward and the
clips to connect and disconnect are fiddly.
<sigh>
It does still have a transparent, easy access fixed tube at the top though.
2020-07-02 00:20:56 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Mike
[...]
I like my Numatic George. But at 8.8kg it does not easily fall into
the hand-held category.

2020-07-03 18:17:46 UTC
I like my Numatic George. But at 8.8kg it does not easily fall into
the hand-held category.
But if this was a problem there wouldn't be so many damn vacs in...er...

Oops.
BTN ! Outrageous !!!!
BrritSki
Don't ignore the invisible smiley BTW :)
Sid Nuncius
2020-07-04 04:39:19 UTC
I like my Numatic George. But at 8.8kg it does not easily fall into
the hand-held category.
But if this was a problem there wouldn't be so many damn vacs in...er...
Oops.
BTN !   Outrageous !!!!
Oh, all right then. If you insist.
Hurrah !
steveski
2020-07-03 23:29:15 UTC
I like my Numatic George. But at 8.8kg it does not easily fall into the
hand-held category.
But if this was a problem there wouldn't be so many damn vacs in...er...
Oops.
YADavidStarkeyAICM5Racists [1]

[1] I hated him long before this present atrociousness.
Mike Ruddock
2020-07-04 08:09:34 UTC
I like my Numatic George. But at 8.8kg it does not easily fall into the
hand-held category.
But if this was a problem there wouldn't be so many damn vacs in...er...
Oops.
YADavidStarkeyAICM5Racists [1]
Oh dear yes. When he was on The Moral Maze he would often behave like a
spoiled 6-year old instead of arguing his corner properly.

Mike Ruddock
Chris McMillan
2020-07-04 12:37:47 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I like my Numatic George. But at 8.8kg it does not easily fall into the
hand-held category.
But if this was a problem there wouldn't be so many damn vacs in...er...
Oops.
YADavidStarkeyAICM5Racists [1]
Oh dear yes. When he was on The Moral Maze he would often behave like a
spoiled 6-year old instead of arguing his corner properly.
Mike Ruddock
And everywhere else it seems. No interpersonal skills