BBC dramas halted, Eastenders to reduce how often a week
2020-03-18 12:03:59 UTC
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/coronavirus-movies-tv-shows-cancelled-delayed-hollywood-covid-19-update-a9376931.html

Lots of tv programmes suspended and filmreleases delayed. Will TA be
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
Joe Kerr
2020-03-18 13:29:44 UTC
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/coronavirus-movies-tv-shows-cancelled-delayed-hollywood-covid-19-update-a9376931.html
Lots of tv programmes suspended and filmreleases delayed. Will TA be
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
Oh the irony of Casualty, Holby City and Doctors going off air due to
coronavirus.
Ric
John Ashby
2020-03-18 13:36:24 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Vicky Ayech
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/coronavirus-movies-tv-shows-cancelled-delayed-hollywood-covid-19-update-a9376931.html
Lots of tv programmes suspended and filmreleases delayed. Will TA be
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
Oh the irony of Casualty, Holby City and Doctors going off air due to
coronavirus.
And the Eurovision Song Contest is cancelled. Every cloud...

2020-03-18 13:35:36 UTC
Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
See my previous postings on the subject Vicky, I don’t think it will be
simple to do at all!
2020-03-18 14:58:21 UTC
On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 13:35:36 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
See my previous postings on the subject Vicky, I don’t think it will be
simple to do at all!
A shame if so.
They could make it an everyday story of isolated folk and just put the
scripts online.
2020-03-18 15:33:00 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
See my previous postings on the subject Vicky, I don’t think it will be
simple to do at all!
A shame if so.
They could make it an everyday story of isolated folk and just put the
scripts online.
We could do our own version. Write the scripts and cast umrats as the
various characters and we record our parts with gaps and send them in
with hilarious consequences. If only we knew a good sound engineer who
could patch them all together !

Someone is doing the same on FB where she has allocated 1 minute chunks
on Romeo and Juliet for people to video and send in to her which she'll
edit together for the whole play. Some of the clips are completely crazy :)
Mike
2020-03-18 15:41:58 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
See my previous postings on the subject Vicky, I don’t think it will be
simple to do at all!
A shame if so.
They could make it an everyday story of isolated folk and just put the
scripts online.
We could do our own version. Write the scripts and cast umrats as the
various characters and we record our parts with gaps and send them in
with hilarious consequences. If only we knew a good sound engineer who
could patch them all together !
Someone is doing the same on FB where she has allocated 1 minute chunks
on Romeo and Juliet for people to video and send in to her which she'll
edit together for the whole play. Some of the clips are completely crazy :)
Yeah, shame we don’t know any *Good* Sound Engineers innit?!
:)
Chris McMillan
2020-03-20 17:39:18 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
On “The World Tonight” last night, an Irish actress I’ve never heard is
recording poetry by request, she then sends it to a chap in the US who adds
music and then it’s sent to the requester. But I didn’t take in the
details as I’d missed the introduction and not knowing who she is had me
wondering why she thought she was so good at it to get into the prog.

Best Chris
krw
2020-03-18 16:06:50 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
See my previous postings on the subject Vicky, I don’t think it will be
simple to do at all!
A shame if so.
They could make it an everyday story of isolated folk and just put the
scripts online.
I suspect Uncle Tom can simply narrate the day's events. And each day a
different cast member does a monologue. Events can continue and only
one of the younger cast members needs to be in the studio at any one
time. Some re-writes needed but the stories remain the same.
2020-03-18 16:22:01 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
See my previous postings on the subject Vicky, I don’t think it will be
simple to do at all!
A shame if so.
They could make it an everyday story of isolated folk and just put the
scripts online.
I suspect Uncle Tom can simply narrate the day's events. And each day a
different cast member does a monologue. Events can continue and only
one of the younger cast members needs to be in the studio at any one
time. Some re-writes needed but the stories remain the same.
Along the lines of:

‘I was down the Bull* t’other evening and Robert said to Tom that...’

*Bugger the ‘B’, let’s call a spade an agricultural digging implement.
2020-03-18 16:51:46 UTC
Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
See my previous postings on the subject Vicky, I don’t think it will be
simple to do at all!
Even if the technical problems could be got over (which I think they
could as far as sound quality is concerned, perhaps not interaction),
but the scriptwriting with lead time would I'd say be the bigger
problem.

I did wonder if they could go to three rather than six a week, as I
think I've heard they're doing with Eastenders, to make the
already-recorded episodes last longer, but with TA's three-week lag,
that'd be even more impractical, unless the "Ambridge bubble" _is_ being
considered, which I've not heard it is from anyone connected.

Don't play "stupid" with me... I'm better at it.
Mike
2020-03-18 17:03:46 UTC
Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
See my previous postings on the subject Vicky, I don’t think it will be
simple to do at all!
Even if the technical problems could be got over (which I think they
could as far as sound quality is concerned, perhaps not interaction),
but the scriptwriting with lead time would I'd say be the bigger
problem.
I did wonder if they could go to three rather than six a week, as I
think I've heard they're doing with Eastenders, to make the
already-recorded episodes last longer, but with TA's three-week lag,
that'd be even more impractical, unless the "Ambridge bubble" _is_ being
considered, which I've not heard it is from anyone connected.
There is also the fact that many episodes refer to and are anchored to
particular days (as one might expect with an FOTWD). ;-)
2020-03-18 18:35:17 UTC
Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Someone on FB said they'd like to listen to old episodes instead og
going cold-turkey so I dug into my archive and found Ambridge Extra,
series 1,2 and 3, but episodes 1 and 2 are missing from both series 1
and series 2. I don't know why I don't I don't have series 4 and 5 at
all. Which series had Kenton with his daughter in NZ?
Sam Plusnet
2020-03-18 23:48:55 UTC
Post by DavidK
Someone on FB said they'd like to listen to old episodes instead og
going cold-turkey so I dug into my archive and found Ambridge Extra,
series 1,2 and 3, but episodes 1 and 2 are missing from both series 1
and series 2. I don't know why I don't I don't have series 4 and 5 at
all. Which series had Kenton with his daughter in NZ?
T'would be very educational if recordings existed from (say) the
early/mid 1950s. Replaying those in 'real time' would bring home just
how much things have changed.
2020-03-19 04:20:31 UTC
Post by DavidK
Someone on FB said they'd like to listen to old episodes instead og
going cold-turkey so I dug into my archive and found Ambridge Extra,
series 1,2 and 3, but episodes 1 and 2 are missing from both series 1
and series 2. I don't know why I don't I don't have series 4 and 5 at
all. Which series had Kenton with his daughter in NZ?
T'would be very educational if recordings existed from (say) the
early/mid 1950s. Replaying those in 'real time' would bring home just
how much things have changed.
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.

2020-03-19 08:22:56 UTC
Post by DavidK
Someone on FB said they'd like to listen to old episodes instead og
going cold-turkey so I dug into my archive and found Ambridge Extra,
series 1,2 and 3, but episodes 1 and 2 are missing from both series 1
and series 2. I don't know why I don't I don't have series 4 and 5 at
all. Which series had Kenton with his daughter in NZ?
T'would be very educational if recordings existed from (say) the
early/mid 1950s. Replaying those in 'real time' would bring home just
how much things have changed.
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.
Nick
I suppose by the Beeb’s ‘Grace’ that could happen.
2020-03-19 13:43:04 UTC
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.
I suppose by the Beeb’s ‘Grace’ that could happen.
Sadly not. Keri Davies tweeted recently:

<https://twitter.com/keridavies/status/1239141847148232704>

"We have a complete run from the mid 80s, and a good run of the
1960s. Other than that, it’s just odds and ends I’m afraid. "

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-03-19 14:51:44 UTC
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 13:43:04 +0000, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.
I suppose by the Beeb’s ‘Grace’ that could happen.
<https://twitter.com/keridavies/status/1239141847148232704>
"We have a complete run from the mid 80s, and a good run of the
1960s. Other than that, it’s just odds and ends I’m afraid. "
The '60s would be a good listen. What the current 'parent' Archers got up
to in their teens and how their parents viewed it.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-03-19 17:41:22 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.
I suppose by the Beeb’s ‘Grace’ that could happen.
<https://twitter.com/keridavies/status/1239141847148232704>
"We have a complete run from the mid 80s, and a good run of the 1960s.
Other than that, it’s just odds and ends I’m afraid. "
The '60s would be a good listen. What the current 'parent' Archers got
up to in their teens and how their parents viewed it.
It was early 80s when Shula and Neil were up to class-defying shenanigans
in the hedgerow, was it not?

2020-03-19 18:42:06 UTC
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 17:41:22 -0000 (UTC), Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Chris J Dixon
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.
I suppose by the Beeb’s ‘Grace’ that could happen.
<https://twitter.com/keridavies/status/1239141847148232704>
"We have a complete run from the mid 80s, and a good run of the 1960s.
Other than that, it’s just odds and ends I’m afraid. "
The '60s would be a good listen. What the current 'parent' Archers got
up to in their teens and how their parents viewed it.
It was early 80s when Shula and Neil were up to class-defying shenanigans
in the hedgerow, was it not?
I don't think any shenanigans ever occurred between them, much as Neil
would have wanted it to. Phil didn't approve of any of her boyfriends and
might actually have been on Neil's side, I think. But you're right, she's
younger than I am, I suppose I was thinking of the children of Jack and
Peggy. Tony, a year older than me, always came across as a bit 'slow' but
Lilian and Jennifer did lots of things to disapprove of.
2020-03-20 10:49:32 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
It was early 80s when Shula and Neil were up to class-defying shenanigans
in the hedgerow, was it not?
Shula and Simon the newspaper man. Neil was only ever a quick snog.
2020-03-19 22:12:47 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.
I suppose by the Beeb’s ‘Grace’ that could happen.
<https://twitter.com/keridavies/status/1239141847148232704>
"We have a complete run from the mid 80s, and a good run of the
1960s. Other than that, it’s just odds and ends I’m afraid. "
The '60s would be a good listen. What the current 'parent' Archers got up
to in their teens and how their parents viewed it.
Agreed. My brain still thinks the 1960s was all trendy and moddun.

Watching the opening scenes of "Help!" (A Beatles filum M'Lud)[1] soon
alters that image.

[1] Bound to be available on YouTube somewhere.
2020-03-20 02:11:10 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.
I suppose by the Beeb’s ‘Grace’ that could happen.
<https://twitter.com/keridavies/status/1239141847148232704>
"We have a complete run from the mid 80s, and a good run of the
1960s. Other than that, it’s just odds and ends I’m afraid. "
The '60s would be a good listen. What the current 'parent' Archers got up
to in their teens and how their parents viewed it.
Agreed. My brain still thinks the 1960s was all trendy and moddun.
Watching the opening scenes of "Help!" (A Beatles filum M'Lud)[1] soon
alters that image.
[1] Bound to be available on YouTube somewhere.
Not YouTube AFAICS but there are a couple of copies on mail.ru

After YouTube, my usual port of call for videos is dailymotion.com a
French outfit which doesn´t seem quite so diligent about copyright as
the tube of ewes. If I can´t find what I want I usually use bing.com
video search because I´ve found it wider in scope than Google in that
respect. Bing is showing me, on the first page, three instances of
Help, two on mail.ru and one on something else.

If you don´t trust a free, Russian, copyright-ignoring video-streamer
(and I don´t) boot a Linux live disk and play it from there.

Of course you could always use a torrent source but, apart from the
ones used by Microsoft and the like for software updates I feel you
need to be really confident about what you are getting and where you
are getting it from. YMMV of course.

2020-03-19 23:23:59 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.
I suppose by the Beeb’s ‘Grace’ that could happen.
<https://twitter.com/keridavies/status/1239141847148232704>
"We have a complete run from the mid 80s, and a good run of the
1960s. Other than that, it’s just odds and ends I’m afraid. "
The '60s would be a good listen. What the current 'parent' Archers got up
to in their teens and how their parents viewed it.
Agreed.  My brain still thinks the 1960s was all trendy and moddun.
Watching the opening scenes of "Help!" (A Beatles filum M'Lud)[1] soon
alters that image.
[1] Bound to be available on YouTube somewhere.
A Hard Days Night was broadcast not so long ago (BBC4? Film4? Can't
remember) and I've still got it on the TiVo. At the time it was first
out, me and three of my schoolfriends were completely besotted with the
Beatles, and we saw the film about five or six times. The final time, we
chased down the last cinema in South London to show it, a fleapit in
Clapham Junction, in the middle of what is now the realm of the haute
bourgeoisie. Watching it again it is a fascinating and very weird
mixture - the screaming girls, the boys' chat full of innuendo yet
strangely innocent, the Fenian subversiveness of Wilfred Brambell, all
set in crumbling theatres amid bombsites. It was just a vehicle for the
songs, really, but holds a stunning amount of social history both
explicit and implicit. The songs are still fab, though, with a kind of
joyous energy you hardly see these days.
2020-03-20 22:37:04 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]
Since you knew which film I actually meant - rather than the one I
mentioned - your marbles are more firmly in place than my own.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-03-20 22:52:01 UTC
Marbles? I haven't been to Elgin for decades. Perhaps next year.
Anne B
2020-03-21 22:53:56 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Marbles? I haven't been to Elgin for decades. Perhaps next year.
You wouldn't believe how many tourists used to turn up in the Elgin
Tourist Information Centre in actual Elgin asking for directions to the
Elgin Marbles. Some of them got quite stroppy and shouted at us when we
told them. I mean, if you've come all the way from the west coast of the
USA, another 570 miles is neither here nor there.

Anne B
Mike
2020-03-22 08:44:01 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Marbles? I haven't been to Elgin for decades. Perhaps next year.
You wouldn't believe how many tourists used to turn up in the Elgin
Tourist Information Centre in actual Elgin asking for directions to the
Elgin Marbles. Some of them got quite stroppy and shouted at us when we
told them. I mean, if you've come all the way from the west coast of the
USA, another 570 miles is neither here nor there.
Anne B
Perhaps you should have kept a selection of designs/colours in different
sizes of marbles sitting in a few feet of gutter....
Anne B
2020-03-22 10:22:40 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Marbles? I haven't been to Elgin for decades. Perhaps next year.
You wouldn't believe how many tourists used to turn up in the Elgin
Tourist Information Centre in actual Elgin asking for directions to the
Elgin Marbles. Some of them got quite stroppy and shouted at us when we
told them. I mean, if you've come all the way from the west coast of the
USA, another 570 miles is neither here nor there.
Anne B
Perhaps you should have kept a selection of designs/colours in different
sizes of marbles sitting in a few feet of gutter....
Funny you should suggest that. We did actually consider it but we
decided that anyone that angry had probably suffered a sense-of-humour
failure and it would just have made things worse.

Anne B
Sam Plusnet
2020-03-22 23:17:30 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Mike
Post by Anne B
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Marbles? I haven't been to Elgin for decades. Perhaps next year.
You wouldn't believe how many tourists used to turn up in the Elgin
Tourist Information Centre in actual Elgin asking for directions to the
Elgin Marbles. Some of them got quite stroppy and shouted at us when we
told them. I mean, if you've come all the way from the west coast of the
USA, another 570 miles is neither here nor there.
Anne B
Perhaps you should have kept a selection of designs/colours in different
sizes of marbles sitting in a few feet of gutter....
Funny you should suggest that. We did actually consider it but we
decided that anyone that angry had probably suffered a sense-of-humour
failure and it would just have made things worse.
Invite them to pose with a poster carrying the words (in Gaelic)

"These people have lost their marbles."
2020-03-20 17:49:56 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.
I suppose by the Beeb’s ‘Grace’ that could happen.
<https://twitter.com/keridavies/status/1239141847148232704>
"We have a complete run from the mid 80s, and a good run of the
1960s. Other than that, it’s just odds and ends I’m afraid. "
The '60s would be a good listen. What the current 'parent' Archers got up
to in their teens and how their parents viewed it.
I’ve never heard any of those.

Sincerely Chris
Peter Withey
2020-04-20 13:51:42 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
That, actually, is something I´d love to happen. To start from say,
fifty years ago and progress day by day. For one thing, I´d like to
find out if the things I think I remember really did happen.
I suppose by the Beeb’s ‘Grace’ that could happen.
<https://twitter.com/keridavies/status/1239141847148232704>
"We have a complete run from the mid 80s, and a good run of the
1960s. Other than that, it’s just odds and ends I’m afraid. "
Chris
And if this blog is correct the eariest episode is episode number 302,
and it's from 11 March 1952

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thearchers/entries/db004920-14de-4f94-b007-11df884d1f81

Sadly there only a couple of minutes avaiable.

The intro. A conversation between Grace and Phil, and one between
Walter, Dan and Simon.
Pete
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-04-20 16:34:55 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
"We have a complete run from the mid 80s, and a good run of the
1960s. Other than that, it’s just odds and ends I’m afraid. "
[]
I forwarded this post (not just that bit) to my friend, and she has
responded:

Well, I was right about the '60s. Maybe they should ask listeners if
they have old recordings which has happened with series on TV.

... which sounds like an interesting idea! Though I suspect people would
only have kept significant ones. But I could be wrong. It certainly
wouldn't hurt to ask!

WANTED, Dead AND Alive: Schrodinger's Cat
Vicky Ayech
Do you mean this is real time??
Sam Plusnet
2020-03-19 22:15:18 UTC
Post by DavidK
Someone on FB said they'd like to listen to old episodes instead og
going cold-turkey so I dug into my archive and found Ambridge Extra,
series 1,2 and 3, but episodes 1 and 2 are missing from both series 1
and series 2. I don't know why I don't I don't have series 4 and 5 at
all. Which series had Kenton with his daughter in NZ?
T'would be very educational if recordings existed from (say) the
early/mid 1950s. Replaying those in 'real time' would bring home just
how much things have changed.
Do you mean this is real time??
Well, obviously not, since characters like "Trump" and "Boris" are
clearly cartoon cut-outs and couldn't possibly be real politicians at
the head of real countries in a time of real crisis.
2020-03-19 04:17:52 UTC
Will TA be
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Back in the days when I had a television and watched "Neighbours" we
didn´t seem to notice that not only were the seasons upside down but
the fixed points in the calendar were way out. Would it really matter
if they did that with TA?

2020-03-19 11:11:55 UTC
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 01:17:52 -0300, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Back in the days when I had a television and watched "Neighbours" we
didn´t seem to notice that not only were the seasons upside down but
the fixed points in the calendar were way out.
These days, broadcasts of Neighbours are synced across the world. So far in
recent months they have made no mention of the bush fires and are
currently, as part of their 35th birthday week, running a load of fake
weddings as part of a big wedding fair event at the hotel with honeymoon
packages, some of which are in Europe. But they've never been 'aware' of
the rest of the world except as somewhere to send people from time to time.

In a way it is rather relaxing (apart from the very melodramatic goings on
in a nearby part of the Neighbours universe) to watch something so remote
from what is actually going on.

I've also been watching the first series of Mission Impossible and being
reminded of my Cold War childhood when the end of the world seemed just
around the corner. Plus ca change.
2020-03-19 11:25:55 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
I have been watching ER from the beginning. There is lots of it.It is
setting the right picture at the moment.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-03-19 11:34:27 UTC
It is said that recording Pobl y Cwm is also suspended.
Mike
2020-03-19 13:29:44 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
It is said that recording Pobl y Cwm is also suspended.
Pobly not now then?
2020-03-19 13:30:13 UTC
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 11:25:55 +0000, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
I watched that a few months back. CBS reruns go round and round. What I
want now is an alert for when NCIS season 13 starts.
2020-03-20 03:25:27 UTC
I've also been watching the first series of Mission Impossible and being
reminded of my Cold War childhood when the end of the world seemed just
around the corner. Plus ca change.
Nuclear annihilation did seem to be a distinct possibility - Tom
Lehrer's "MLF Lullaby" and "So Long Mom (I'm off to drop The Bomb)", and
Fascinating Aida's "Radiating Love" show that.
I have been watching ER from the beginning. There is lots of it.It is
setting the right picture at the moment.
I watched that a few months back. CBS reruns go round and round. What I
want now is an alert for when NCIS season 13 starts.
(What happened specifically in season 13?) I want to know if Star Trek:
Voyager ever got home, or did the series end before they did? (Yes, I
know it's on Horror 7-8 pm.) Yes, the CBS reruns - 5 USA and CBS Justice
- do seem to rerun a lot, and in an impenetrable order! There are some
episodes of NCIS/CSI/CSI Miami/CSI New York/L&A SVU that I almost know
by heart. That last one has been running a _long_ time: I was startled
to see one recently with a copyright date of 1999, which means Mariska
Hargitay (who I think is rather a beautiful woman - and in a way very
different from her mother!) has been playing the part for over 20 years.
[I think she has a large part in creating it these days, which is only
fair.]

Because of my sliding sleep hours, I've even been watching the odd Perry
Mason lately! (In some ways, it's actually nice to have a whodunit
series where the plots _aren't_ so complicated!)

They may only have The Archers back to about 1980 continuously - but
even that's 40 years ago; I would imagine they could find some
interesting sequences! Either because of what was happening in Ambridge,
or in the world, or both.

"Offer me a drink." "It's six o'clock in the morning!" "Then float a Cheerio
in it." - Franks and Gibbs, NCIS
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-20 08:37:31 UTC
On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 03:25:27 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Nuclear annihilation did seem to be a distinct possibility - Tom
Lehrer's "MLF Lullaby" and "So Long Mom (I'm off to drop The Bomb)", and
Fascinating Aida's "Radiating Love" show that.
And That Was The Week That Was had I want to have a little bomb like
you, Jack. The talented Millicent Martin.

Voyager spoiler

It did get home but really annoyed me as to how. To do with Seven and
Harry and jumping back and forwards in time and the very annoying
captain being an admiral I think and then Seven's Borg bits.
Penny
2020-03-20 09:49:41 UTC
On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 03:25:27 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
What I
want now is an alert for when NCIS season 13 starts.
(What happened specifically in season 13?)
I don't know, I've never seen it.
I'm pleased to have had the opportunity to watch S 1. When I started
watching a few months back the first one I saw had Caitlin getting shot.
I've been enjoying finding out more about her and her relationships within
the team. it's always interesting to see the first few episodes of
something you watched later. The actors mould into the characters who
change in subtle ways. Gibbs smiled a lot more in S 1 which is delightful!

I've watched all of Stargate, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Haven (which must have
another season not yet shown), NCIS LA (likewise), Heroes, Scorpion,
Supergirl, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow. I tried Mutant X but didn't
like it.

I've watched the odd episode of Mash but when it has the laughter track
it's awful. I never watched Startrek Voyager or the other spin-offs so can
fall back to those if I run out of these things I'd never heard of before
discovering Pick and the CBS channels.
2020-03-19 13:50:33 UTC
I have been watching ER from the beginning. There is lots of it.It is
setting the right picture at the moment.
About the only series I have ever seriously binge-watched is The
West Wing. I followed it as broadcast on free-to-air, then when
it went to pay TV, I bought the box sets so I have them all.

Whilst I was taking it easy after a small operation about 12
years ago, I watched the remainder end-to-end. It was an
involving, though rather strange, experience, especially as
Obama was just becoming important around that time.

BOFE is going to be working from home, so combining that with TV
running out of new material, we should be able to reduce our
backlog. I reckon we must have nearly a year's worth on the HD
PVR, and offloaded to DVD from the old SD one.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-03-19 22:19:44 UTC
These days, broadcasts of Neighbours are synced across the world.
Swerving from that, I notice (and I usually do not notice such things)
that Google's search page is celebrating "Spring 2020".

I hope they have some up with something different for the southerners.
2020-03-20 02:15:20 UTC
These days, broadcasts of Neighbours are synced across the world.
Swerving from that, I notice (and I usually do not notice such things)
that Google's search page is celebrating "Spring 2020".
I hope they have some up with something different for the southerners.
If by southerners you mean the likes of me, we are getting a hot air
balloon with a squirrel and a gust of falling leaves and the mouseover
message is Equinoccio de Otoño

2020-03-20 17:49:57 UTC
These days, broadcasts of Neighbours are synced across the world.
Swerving from that, I notice (and I usually do not notice such things)
that Google's search page is celebrating "Spring 2020".
I hope they have some up with something different for the southerners.
If by southerners you mean the likes of me, we are getting a hot air
balloon with a squirrel and a gust of falling leaves and the mouseover
message is Equinoccio de Otoño
Nick
Hardly feel like spring. Looks like it though

2020-03-20 22:40:47 UTC
These days, broadcasts of Neighbours are synced across the world.
Swerving from that, I notice (and I usually do not notice such things)
that Google's search page is celebrating "Spring 2020".
I hope they have some up with something different for the southerners.
If by southerners you mean the likes of me, we are getting a hot air
balloon with a squirrel and a gust of falling leaves and the mouseover
message is Equinoccio de Otoño
I did, and thank you for being our Southern Hemisphere correspondent.

I hope the time is passing without incident or problems.
2020-03-21 03:06:34 UTC
These days, broadcasts of Neighbours are synced across the world.
Swerving from that, I notice (and I usually do not notice such things)
that Google's search page is celebrating "Spring 2020".
I hope they have some up with something different for the southerners.
If by southerners you mean the likes of me, we are getting a hot air
balloon with a squirrel and a gust of falling leaves and the mouseover
message is Equinoccio de Otoño
I did, and thank you for being our Southern Hemisphere correspondent.
I hope the time is passing without incident or problems.
Yes. Thanks for the headsup. We are on day 10 of our mandatory
quarantine for having arrived from the UK and tonight sees the start
of a lock down for the whole country until at least 1st April - which,
by the way, is not April Fool´s Day out here.

Last night the President announced sweeping new measures so that if
the population don´t feel inclined to obey, the military may come into
the streets to make them. That might seem a little chilling to Brits
but even more so here: Argentines don´t have to have very long
memories to recall 1976 and all that... Had I written this last night
I would have said I feel much more relaxed under the authority of a
government seen to be taking firm control even if it might involve
soldiers than a government whose Prime Minister´s father just said
¨Sod it, I´m off down the pub.¨But I see from tonight´s
prime-ministerial statements that Stanley Johnson ain´t going nowhere
tonight.

2020-03-21 09:05:33 UTC
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 00:06:34 -0300, Nick Odell
[...]
The army are going to jointhe police here in enforc HHHH backing them
up as needed to help generally. I can remember soldiers with machine
guns at the entrance to the tunnel approaching London Heathrow. It was
a few years ago. Must have been some sort of alert and went onfor some
weeks I think.
Nick Odell
2020-03-21 18:26:15 UTC
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 09:05:33 +0000, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
On or around 19th May 1974, perhaps? My latex and I were at Heathrow
that day at the start of our honeymoon when the IRA detonated a bomb
there.

Nick
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-03-21 15:45:00 UTC
[...]
That would be round about the time I was travelling by train from my home
in Hertfordhire to my gf's up Manchester way. Somebody was following me
close behind because shortly after I passed through Kings X and Euston
stations somebody set off bombs in both in the same order.

2020-03-21 17:49:54 UTC
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 15:45:00 -0000 (UTC), Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
No in 1974 I had a baby and was pregnant :) This was within the
last..20 years?
Mike
2020-03-21 18:12:15 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
I’ll try to keep this as short as possible:

In 1976, Mrs. McToodles and I went to see the ideal gnome at the exhibition
in Lunnon and took a totally blind friend with us, (when I say ‘friend’,
the two had known each other since childhood). At that Time, I wore a
contact lens and frequently my lens would ‘mist up’ and required removal
for the rest of that day. This would occur in hot and dry conditions
mainly. That day the exhibition was busy, crowded and hot; all the more
when we were at the top of the building where exhibitors were displaying
domestic heating fires in their working state! Eventually, things reached
the point where as I stood by a large barrow display, I could stand it no
longer and told Chris and friend I needed to get out. It took us some
minutes to get out of the building and hence straight to the underground to
leave for home. We didn’t know until we arrived home that there was a bomb
explosion some 10 minutes after we left that spot with the large barrow
(where the bomb had been hidden). Cats, I understand, have ‘nine lives’ but
I’m not sure that this applies to human beans...
2020-03-18 14:36:01 UTC
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/coronavirus-movies-tv-shows-cancelled-delayed-hollywood-covid-19-update-a9376931.html
Lots of tv programmes suspended and filmreleases delayed. Will TA be
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
But recording every six weeks is different to weekly or whatever tv soap
work is.

2020-03-18 15:02:35 UTC
On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 14:36:01 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
But recording every six weeks is different to weekly or whatever tv soap
work is.
Judging by the appearance of foliage* etc, Doctors is made in large chunks
in the summer months.

* Which, irrationally perhaps, really annoys me. I would much prefer them
to stop pretending if it's a Wednesday in March in my house it is also a
Wednesday in March in Letherbridge.
2020-03-18 16:30:24 UTC
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/coronavirus-movies-tv-shows-cancelled-delayed-hollywood-covid-19-update-a9376931.html
Lots of tv programmes suspended and filmreleases delayed. Will TA be
ok as radio and can be phoned in? But the crew who do the on site
stuff are at risk.
I've just seen this official update on Twitter:

The Archers
@BBCTheArchers
#Breaking “For the time being we have enough episodes of #TheArchers
recorded to keep taking listeners to Ambridge as usual for the weeks
ahead but like everyone else we are faced with an unprecedented
situation. (1/3)

“We’re working on plans for beyond this given there are significant
challenges and the safety and wellbeing of #TheArchers production team
and cast are paramount. (2/3)

“We’re sure listeners will understand this and we’ll update as plans
become clearer.” Jeremy Howe, Editor of The Archers (3/3)

<https://twitter.com/BBCTheArchers/status/1240300995881598977>

As you may imagine (or as you can see, if you click through to see for
yourself) there are various suggestions for what they could do, in the
replies.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful
than a life spent doing nothing. (George Bernard Shaw)
Mike
2020-03-18 16:37:56 UTC
[...]
And...

https://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co.uk/leisure/showbiz/18315375.enough-episodes-archers-recorded-weeks-ahead-says-editor/
John Finlay
Maybe a season of Dot Cotton monologues.
Penny
2020-03-20 13:11:43 UTC
This from facebook:

Tim Bentinck: It’s chaos up there but they’re struggling on. My only two
eps this month have been cancelled but the programme will continue somehow.
‘We Never Close’!
Just enjoy the last part of England to be virus-free!
Stay well lovely people. xx
2020-03-20 16:34:25 UTC
Tim Bentinck: It’s chaos up there but they’re struggling on. My only two
eps this month have been cancelled but the programme will continue somehow.
‘We Never Close’!
Just enjoy the last part of England to be virus-free!
Stay well lovely people. xx
It had bloody better continue. Aren't the nuclear submarine fleet under
order to launch an attack if The Archers doesn't come on at 19.02 Greenwich?

2020-03-20 16:46:49 UTC
Tim Bentinck: It’s chaos up there but they’re struggling on. My only two
eps this month have been cancelled but the programme will continue somehow.
‘We Never Close’!
Just enjoy the last part of England to be virus-free!
Stay well lovely people. xx
It had bloody better continue. Aren't the nuclear submarine fleet under
order to launch an attack if The Archers doesn't come on at 19.02 Greenwich?
john
I believe it is the transmission of Toady rather than TA.
2020-03-20 23:20:50 UTC
Tim Bentinck: It’s chaos up there but they’re struggling on. My only two
eps this month have been cancelled but the programme will continue somehow.
‘We Never Close’!
Just enjoy the last part of England to be virus-free!
Stay well lovely people. xx
(I spend too much time on Twitter. I was looking for the like button.)
Post by John Ashby
It had bloody better continue. Aren't the nuclear submarine fleet under
order to launch an attack if The Archers doesn't come on at 19.02 Greenwich?
john
As I said when someone made the same point over there: it conjures up a
rather nice picture, of the submariners all settling down to listen ...

I don't have an agree that our language torture is a quality add
- soldiersailor on Gransnet, 2018-3-8