nationwide building soc offer is like Bulb!
2019-02-02 11:41:11 UTC
They are now offering £100 to member and person who opens a current
a/c through recommendation. I can give recommendation.
Penny
2019-02-02 13:57:51 UTC
On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 11:41:11 +0000, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
They are now offering £100 to member and person who opens a current
a/c through recommendation. I can give recommendation.
Hm, what level of regular payments have to be made to the account to keep
it open?
2019-02-02 14:11:30 UTC
They are now offering £100 to member and person who opens a current
a/c through recommendation. I can give recommendation.
Hm! Wasn't that the bank that was adveertising (on tv) a little while
ago that they "reward loyalty"? Haven't seen that for a while so maybe
someone reported them to the Standard people. They obviously don't know
the meaning of the word "loyalty" - or just lied.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Marmaduke Jinks
2019-02-02 14:40:27 UTC
They are now offering £100 to member and person who opens a current
a/c through recommendation. I can give recommendation.
Hm! Wasn't that the bank that was adveertising (on tv) a little while ago
that they "reward loyalty"? Haven't seen that for a while so maybe
someone reported them to the Standard people. They obviously don't know
the meaning of the word "loyalty" - or just lied.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
They do have a loyalty account. So they haven't lied. It pays the same
interest as one of their current accounts. That current account has a limit
of £2,500 on which it pays interest and after that you would need the
loyalty account to get the same rate of interest. I think it has a top limit
of £100k and after that no interest on that.

MJ
Jenny M Benson
2019-02-02 19:42:04 UTC
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
They do have a loyalty account. So they haven't lied. It pays the same
interest as one of their current accounts.
My point was that they were advertising that they would pay customers £x
if they got someone to switch to them. (And/or, they'd pay a new
customer to switch to them.)

The very word "switch" implies that the potential new customer already
has an account with another bank. There may be all sorts of good
reasons to switch your account to another bank, the nearest it comes to
"loyalty" is that the switcher is being DISloyal to his/her existing bank.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Kate B
2019-02-02 21:26:42 UTC
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
Post by Vicky Ayech
They are now offering £100 to member and person who opens a current
a/c through recommendation. I can give recommendation.
Hm! Wasn't that the bank that was adveertising (on tv) a little while ago
that they "reward loyalty"? Haven't seen that for a while so maybe
someone reported them to the Standard people. They obviously don't know
the meaning of the word "loyalty" - or just lied.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
They do have a loyalty account. So they haven't lied. It pays the same
interest as one of their current accounts. That current account has a limit
of £2,500 on which it pays interest and after that you would need the
loyalty account to get the same rate of interest. I think it has a top limit
of £100k and after that no interest on that.
MJ
The interest paying accounts, IIRC, require you not to state that this
is your main account, and to prove it by paying in at least £1000 a
month, and paying out all your direct debits. Since my regular income is
well below that and I don't pay household bills, I don't qualify. I have
had an account there since I was 16, so I suppose I'll keep it ticking
over, but they never offer me anything to persuade me to put any more
money in.
2019-02-02 21:43:46 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Do people still churn money through bank accounts whilst maintaining the
account balance at the maximum upon which maximum interest is paid? For
instance, paying £1000 into Santander then from there paying £500 each
into TSB and Halifax which each pay £500 into Halifax and TSB
respectively which then pay £1000 into Santander etc.

It all seemed like too much work for me especially when that nice, juicy
5% interest rate would only be applied to the first £2000 of your savings.

2019-02-02 23:23:08 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
[not] oops, typo!
[...]
Nick
I never worked out how to do that. My actual income isn't enough to
trigger maximum rates anywhere. I just have to grit my teeth and accept
being a kept woman.
2019-02-03 00:17:26 UTC
On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 21:43:46 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Do people still churn money through bank accounts whilst maintaining the
account balance at the maximum upon which maximum interest is paid? For
instance, paying £1000 into Santander then from there paying £500 each
into TSB and Halifax which each pay £500 into Halifax and TSB
respectively which then pay £1000 into Santander etc.
Erme, I do something like that although a Santander 123 account only asks
for monthly incoming funds of £500 and they don't care if it goes straight
out again.
Post by Nick Odell
It all seemed like too much work for me especially when that nice, juicy
5% interest rate would only be applied to the first £2000 of your savings.
They don't pay as much as 5% (where can you get that these days?) but the
higher interest is paid on up to £20,000 per account.
2019-02-03 08:01:20 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Do people still churn money through bank accounts whilst maintaining the
account balance at the maximum upon which maximum interest is paid? For
instance, paying £1000 into Santander then from there paying £500 each
into TSB and Halifax which each pay £500 into Halifax and TSB
respectively which then pay £1000 into Santander etc.
Erme, I do something like that although a Santander 123 account only asks
for monthly incoming funds of £500 and they don't care if it goes straight
out again.
We do that something like that, too. It all seemed very complicated when
Husband explained it to me but seems to work OK.
It all seemed like too much work for me especially when that nice, juicy
5% interest rate would only be applied to the first £2000 of your savings.
They don't pay as much as 5% (where can you get that these days?) but the
higher interest is paid on up to £20,000 per account.
I've made more on premium bonds in the last two years since I topped my
holding up to the maximum than I could have got by leaving the money
anywhere else. This also satisfies my fairly well suppressed urge to
gamble. I spent much of my childhood feeding penny slot machines on
Southend pier with my grandpa and I know I could very easily be tempted
into throwing money away. Watching Sheridan Smith in Cleaning Up made me
feel quite uncomfortable.
2019-02-03 09:02:48 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Yup, us too also as well; yesterday Ernie coughed up 6 x £25 returns
between the Toodles accounts - celebrated with a light Italian meal in
Woodley - the icy pavements were the worst aspect, we bussed there and back
though.
2019-02-03 09:28:31 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
I had premium bonds for many years and got very few small payouts.
Then for a few years nothing so sold them.
Sid Nuncius
2019-02-03 10:34:50 UTC
Post by LFS
I've made more on premium bonds in the last two years since I topped my
holding up to the maximum than I could have got by leaving the money
anywhere else. This also satisfies my fairly well suppressed urge to
gamble. I spent much of my childhood feeding penny slot machines on
Southend pier with my grandpa and I know I could very easily be tempted
into throwing money away. Watching Sheridan Smith in Cleaning Up made me
feel quite uncomfortable.
I had premium bonds for many years and got very few small payouts.
Then for a few years nothing so sold them.
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds. I suspect my luck
be more like Vicky's than Laura's. But the thing is, you never know, do
you?

This is interesting, but I still get the "yeah, but..." factor creeping in:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/
2019-02-03 11:35:50 UTC
On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 10:34:50 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by LFS
I've made more on premium bonds in the last two years since I topped my
holding up to the maximum than I could have got by leaving the money
anywhere else. This also satisfies my fairly well suppressed urge to
gamble. I spent much of my childhood feeding penny slot machines on
Southend pier with my grandpa and I know I could very easily be tempted
into throwing money away. Watching Sheridan Smith in Cleaning Up made me
feel quite uncomfortable.
I had premium bonds for many years and got very few small payouts.
Then for a few years nothing so sold them.
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds. I suspect my luck
be more like Vicky's than Laura's. But the thing is, you never know, do
you?
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/
He say Nationwide Flex Direct very good for a year ;)
I can recommend 5. No more.
Mike
2019-02-03 11:42:42 UTC
Post by LFS
I've made more on premium bonds in the last two years since I topped my
holding up to the maximum than I could have got by leaving the money
anywhere else. This also satisfies my fairly well suppressed urge to
gamble. I spent much of my childhood feeding penny slot machines on
Southend pier with my grandpa and I know I could very easily be tempted
into throwing money away. Watching Sheridan Smith in Cleaning Up made me
feel quite uncomfortable.
I had premium bonds for many years and got very few small payouts.
Then for a few years nothing so sold them.
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds. I suspect my luck
be more like Vicky's than Laura's. But the thing is, you never know, do
you?
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/
Total returns in last 6 months from premium bonds = £625 in Toodleville.
2019-02-03 13:43:13 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
You got my share. I had max for some years and then not max but quite
a few. And some from childhood. Not much winning at all.
Serena Blanchflower
2019-02-04 11:37:06 UTC
Total returns in last 6 months from premium bonds = £625 in Toodleville.
So, you're the reason the rest of us aren't getting anything ;)
My friend drowned in a bowl of muesli - he was pulled in by a strong
current.
Penny
2019-02-04 16:13:42 UTC
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 11:37:06 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Total returns in last 6 months from premium bonds = £625 in Toodleville.
So, you're the reason the rest of us aren't getting anything ;)
Not all the Toodles' fault, you can blame me too if you like.
2019-02-04 16:21:51 UTC
Not all the Toodles' fault, you can blame me too if you like.
:)
TOOTHACHE: The pain that drives you to extraction.
LFS
2019-02-03 19:38:00 UTC
Post by LFS
I've made more on premium bonds in the last two years since I topped my
holding up to the maximum than I could have got by leaving the money
anywhere else. This also satisfies my fairly well suppressed urge to
gamble. I spent much of my childhood feeding penny slot machines on
Southend pier with my grandpa and I know I could very easily be tempted
into throwing money away. Watching Sheridan Smith in Cleaning Up made me
feel quite uncomfortable.
I had premium bonds for many years and got very few small payouts.
Then for a few years nothing so sold them.
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds.  I suspect my luck
be more like Vicky's than Laura's.  But the thing is, you never know, do
you?
I had some from my childhood which never won anything. In the 1970s my
favourite aunt bought a block of 100 and started winning regularly. I
used to write her very funny begging letters and she bought me some
more. but they never won.

About five years ago I cashed them all in and reinvested them and
started winning occasionally. Since then I've cashed in a proportion and
rebought a couple of times and won consistently. No single number has
ever won more than £100. From Oct 2017 to Oct 2018 I made 4%.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/
Interesting. But, as I've said, I like the idea of a little gamble. I
buy a lottery ticket every week, too.
2019-02-04 07:59:22 UTC
<Premium Bonds>
Post by Sid Nuncius
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/
Interesting. But, as I've said, I like the idea of a little gamble. I
buy a lottery ticket every week, too.
4% is impressive. I've never done a calculation; wofe and I win £25 or
£50 occasionally but I doubt if it amounts to anywhere near that.

I buy a ticket for each lottery, too. I'm slightly ashamed of it
because I know the odds are microscopic, but a small harmless gamble is
quite fun. (I've had the odd small win over the years, but the best
I've had for ages has been a few free lucky dips - which haven't won
anything.)
2019-02-04 23:04:40 UTC
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 07:59:22 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
I buy a ticket for each lottery, too. I'm slightly ashamed of it
because I know the odds are microscopic, but a small harmless gamble is
quite fun. (I've had the odd small win over the years, but the best
I've had for ages has been a few free lucky dips - which haven't won
anything.)
I wn £100 a year by not buying National Lottery tickets.

OTOH, I now spend £13is per month on tickets in our recently formed
local Lotto, which supports local charities [1]. Since April, I've
won several times, about £45 in total. During December, they also had
5 additional prizes of a £200 "High street shopping voucher", of which
I won one.

I'm pretty happy with those returns.

[1] 50% of my ticket money goes to my chosen charity, which is
Daventry Area Community Transport. The other 50% goes into the
general pool.
2019-02-05 08:28:15 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
I hope it is heated with vegan approved energy sources? ;-)
2019-02-03 21:36:10 UTC
Post by LFS
I've made more on premium bonds in the last two years since I topped my
holding up to the maximum than I could have got by leaving the money
anywhere else. This also satisfies my fairly well suppressed urge to
gamble. I spent much of my childhood feeding penny slot machines on
Southend pier with my grandpa and I know I could very easily be tempted
into throwing money away. Watching Sheridan Smith in Cleaning Up made me
feel quite uncomfortable.
I had premium bonds for many years and got very few small payouts.
Then for a few years nothing so sold them.
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds.  I suspect my luck
be more like Vicky's than Laura's.  But the thing is, you never know, do
you?
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/
AFAICR we have never "won" more than the lowest sum of £25.

The figures suggest why

Chance of winning £25 1 in 24,500
Chance of winning £50 1 in 1,359,857

Do mind the step.
2019-02-03 22:33:19 UTC
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds.  I suspect my luck
be more like Vicky's than Laura's.  But the thing is, you never know, do
you?
I hold a decent amount of premium bonds and it is a rare month (January)
when I don't win but back to winning ways this month.
<thinks: go and check Feb results> <beam>
Nick Odell
2019-02-04 11:19:20 UTC
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds.  I suspect my
luck be more like Vicky's than Laura's.  But the thing is, you never
know, do you?
I hold a decent amount of premium bonds and it is a rare month (January)
when I don't win but back to winning ways this month.
<thinks: go and check Feb results> <beam>
<thinks: go and check Feb results> <sad face>
Don't they tell you? When I signed up for NSandI online last year and
bought my Premium Bonds I was under the impression that a)they would
automatically transfer the winnings to my nominated bank account[1] and
b)email me when I win something[1]

Nick
[1]Nothing there yet
Serena Blanchflower
2019-02-04 11:38:16 UTC
Don't they tell you? When I signed up for NSandI online last year and
bought my Premium Bonds I was under the impression that a)they would
automatically transfer the winnings to my nominated bank account[1] and
b)email me when I win something[1]
That's certainly how it works here.
When the white missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had
the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened
them we had the Bible and they had the land. (Desmond Tutu)
krw
2019-02-04 12:57:28 UTC
Don't they tell you? When I signed up for NSandI online last year and
bought my Premium Bonds I was under the impression that a)they would
automatically transfer the winnings to my nominated bank account[1]
and b)email me when I win something[1]
That's certainly how it works here.
Emails come and money later but wofe always knows before I get an email.
2019-02-04 15:52:15 UTC
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 11:38:16 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Don't they tell you? When I signed up for NSandI online last year and
bought my Premium Bonds I was under the impression that a)they would
automatically transfer the winnings to my nominated bank account[1] and
b)email me when I win something[1]
That's certainly how it works here.
I don't get emails - how do you set that up? - I usually check on the
website (<beam> from here) and get a letter about a week later.
2019-02-04 16:02:16 UTC
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 11:38:16 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Don't they tell you? When I signed up for NSandI online last year and
bought my Premium Bonds I was under the impression that a)they would
automatically transfer the winnings to my nominated bank account[1] and
b)email me when I win something[1]
That's certainly how it works here.
I don't get emails - how do you set that up? - I usually check on the
website (<beam> from here) and get a letter about a week later.
They try ar every opportunity to have you go ‘paperless’; if you accept
that request, they will notify you via a nominated email address.
2019-02-04 16:17:02 UTC
I don't get emails - how do you set that up? - I usually check on the
website (<beam> from here) and get a letter about a week later.
Go into the website and go in to edit your account details. One of the
options there is to go paperless.
A lie has gone around the world twice before truth has put its pants on
(Mark Twain)
Sam Plusnet
2019-02-04 21:16:16 UTC
I don't get emails - how do you set that up? - I usually check on the
website (<beam> from here) and get a letter about a week later.
Go into the website and go in to edit your account details.  One of the
options there is to go paperless.
If they offered to shorten the odds on winning something I would take
that option - but then all our Bonds are in Wofe's name so my views are
academic.
2019-02-04 23:16:15 UTC
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 21:16:16 +0000, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
I don't get emails - how do you set that up? - I usually check on the
website (<beam> from here) and get a letter about a week later.
Go into the website and go in to edit your account details.  One of the
options there is to go paperless.
If they offered to shorten the odds on winning something I would take
that option - but then all our Bonds are in Wofe's name so my views are
academic.
They vary the prize list from time to time. For a while they stopped doing
the £25 prizes (and I think had only one £1m prize per month) and added
more of the other large values. I don't think this was popular.
2019-02-04 23:11:27 UTC
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 16:17:02 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
I don't get emails - how do you set that up? - I usually check on the
website (<beam> from here) and get a letter about a week later.
Go into the website and go in to edit your account details. One of the
options there is to go paperless.
Ah, I may have met that and decided against it. I wouldn't mind getting
Premium Bond stuff by email but prefer to have bits of paper for other
NS&I investments.
2019-02-06 18:48:33 UTC
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 16:17:02 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
I don't get emails - how do you set that up? - I usually check on the
website (<beam> from here) and get a letter about a week later.
Go into the website and go in to edit your account details. One of the
options there is to go paperless.
Ah, I may have met that and decided against it. I wouldn't mind getting
Premium Bond stuff by email but prefer to have bits of paper for other
NS&I investments.
I resisted going paperless for a long time, as it also requires giving
them your bank details, so that it can pay in your winnings. As I had
already asked them to use any winnings to buy more premium bonds, that
seems a bit unnecessary. I gave in eventually, but it is going to be a
really long time before I reach the maximum and they need to pay my
winnings elsewhere (unless I get one of the top prizes, of course).

I got an email from them today, informing me of a win. I assume so,
anyway, I haven't actually checked yet what the "good news from ERNIE
about your Premium Bonds" is. These emails generally come around this
time of the month, some days after the draw.
2019-02-04 11:41:59 UTC
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds.  I suspect my
luck be more like Vicky's than Laura's.  But the thing is, you never
know, do you?
I hold a decent amount of premium bonds and it is a rare month (January)
when I don't win but back to winning ways this month.
<thinks: go and check Feb results>  <beam>
<thinks: go and check Feb results>  <sad face>
Don't they tell you? When I signed up for NSandI online last year and
bought my Premium Bonds I was under the impression that a)they would
automatically transfer the winnings to my nominated bank account[1] and
b)email me when I win something[1]
Yes they do if you've won, but not for a few days and not the amount, so
you have to go to the website anyway. I just shorten the process...
Mike
2019-02-04 12:14:24 UTC
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds.  I suspect my
luck be more like Vicky's than Laura's.  But the thing is, you never
know, do you?
I hold a decent amount of premium bonds and it is a rare month (January)
when I don't win but back to winning ways this month.
<thinks: go and check Feb results>  <beam>
<thinks: go and check Feb results>  <sad face>
Don't they tell you? When I signed up for NSandI online last year and
bought my Premium Bonds I was under the impression that a)they would
automatically transfer the winnings to my nominated bank account[1] and
b)email me when I win something[1]
Yes they do if you've won, but not for a few days and not the amount, so
you have to go to the website anyway. I just shorten the process...
Being the impatient sort, I check on-line soon after midnight on disclosure
day.
2019-02-04 14:40:25 UTC
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds.  I suspect my
luck be more like Vicky's than Laura's.  But the thing is, you never
know, do you?
I hold a decent amount of premium bonds and it is a rare month (January)
when I don't win but back to winning ways this month.
<thinks: go and check Feb results>  <beam>
<thinks: go and check Feb results>  <sad face>
Don't they tell you? When I signed up for NSandI online last year and
bought my Premium Bonds I was under the impression that a)they would
automatically transfer the winnings to my nominated bank account[1] and
b)email me when I win something[1]
Nick
[1]Nothing there yet
I have an app on my phone which saves going to the website and entering
my number. If you've won, you get a picture of celebratory champagne. I
have already spent this month's winnings on an Amazon Fire because my
elderly Kindle is playing up.
2019-02-04 14:56:40 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
With beaming faces, party scenes and suggestions that you ensure you are
viewing the page in the privacy of your own space. Mine dew, they had a
problemette last Saturday morning as the results were not available by this
method until well into the late morning - I had to revert to the NS&I site
and input our numbers to find out how much Toodlereturns there would be.
2019-02-05 18:02:08 UTC
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds.  I suspect my
luck be more like Vicky's than Laura's.  But the thing is, you never
know, do you?
I hold a decent amount of premium bonds and it is a rare month (January)
when I don't win but back to winning ways this month.
<thinks: go and check Feb results>  <beam>
<thinks: go and check Feb results>  <sad face>
Don't they tell you? When I signed up for NSandI online last year and
bought my Premium Bonds I was under the impression that a)they would
automatically transfer the winnings to my nominated bank account[1] and
b)email me when I win something[1]
Nick
[1]Nothing there yet
As of this morning, I'm in a position to confirm, first-hand, that they
send you an email when you win something. No begging letters please: it
might be an order of magnitude higher than the interest I would have
received had I kept the money in the bank's "Flexible Saver" but it
would only buy a round of drinks if your name were Billy Nomates.

2019-02-04 11:35:04 UTC
Post by LFS
I've made more on premium bonds in the last two years since I topped my
holding up to the maximum than I could have got by leaving the money
anywhere else. This also satisfies my fairly well suppressed urge to
gamble. I spent much of my childhood feeding penny slot machines on
Southend pier with my grandpa and I know I could very easily be tempted
into throwing money away. Watching Sheridan Smith in Cleaning Up made me
feel quite uncomfortable.
I had premium bonds for many years and got very few small payouts.
Then for a few years nothing so sold them.
I sometimes dither about topping up my Premium Bonds.  I suspect my luck
be more like Vicky's than Laura's.  But the thing is, you never know, do
you?
Same here. I've got some and, just occasionally, get £25 from them but
I do think about investing some more in them. Like you, I suspect my
luck is more in line with Vicky than Laura.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/
Exactly.
No man is a failure who is enjoying life (William Feather)
krw
2019-02-03 22:30:24 UTC
Watching Sheridan Smith in Cleaning Up made me feel quite uncomfortable.
Whilst I am not a gambler watching her has also made me uncomfortable
too. I will gamble a sum when we go to the races but I believe at least
one family member and someone else we know has at carious times "wasted"
their resources in such online gambling.
2019-02-03 09:25:54 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Kate B
[...]
I set it up to do that automatically from 2 a/cs som eyears ago when I
opened a Nationwide a/c that made it just worth it and the interest
was only at that level for a year but I never changed it.
Flop
2019-02-03 10:01:37 UTC
Do people still churn money through bank accounts whilst maintaining the
account balance at the maximum upon which maximum interest is paid? For
instance, paying £1000 into Santander then from there paying £500 each
into TSB and Halifax which each pay £500 into Halifax and TSB
respectively which then pay £1000 into Santander etc.
It all seemed like too much work for me especially when that nice, juicy
5% interest rate would only be applied to the first £2000 of your savings.
Nick
Is the first '£1000' and the last'£1000' the same money?

If so then you do not need to generate any money (such as
salary/pension/etc) to be paid in. You have a closed loop system.
Which would work with as many banks as you like.
--
Flop

I want to re-marry my ex.
She thinks I am after my money.
Nick Odell
2019-02-03 10:42:17 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Nick Odell
Do people still churn money through bank accounts whilst maintaining
the account balance at the maximum upon which maximum interest is
paid? For instance, paying £1000 into Santander then from there paying
£500 each into TSB and Halifax which each pay £500 into Halifax and
TSB respectively which then pay £1000 into Santander etc.
It all seemed like too much work for me especially when that nice,
juicy 5% interest rate would only be applied to the first £2000 of
your savings.
Nick
Is the first '£1000' and the last'£1000' the same money?
If so then you do not need to generate any money (such as
salary/pension/etc) to be paid in. You have a closed loop system.
Which would work with as many banks as you like.
That's the way it worked, yes. You created the token standing
orders/direct debits for council tax, services etc in various accounts
that required them and fed in some extra money from pension, wages
whatever to service them and the whole thing went round and round. And
round.

Some banks were clearly complicit in this bending of the rules by
allowing customers to open more than one main bank account at a time
with themselves.

Like others here, I've gone the Premium Bond route. When I closed all my
accounts with a bank that I'd just become too ashamed of to be
associated with any more I transferred the savings there. The bank had
been giving me £1 interest for every £10,000 I had invested so I figure
getting nothing at all from NSandI is hardly distinguishable from that
and even a £25 win would be an order of magnitude better.

2019-02-03 11:31:27 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Nick Odell
Do people still churn money through bank accounts whilst maintaining the
account balance at the maximum upon which maximum interest is paid? For
instance, paying £1000 into Santander then from there paying £500 each
into TSB and Halifax which each pay £500 into Halifax and TSB
respectively which then pay £1000 into Santander etc.
It all seemed like too much work for me especially when that nice, juicy
5% interest rate would only be applied to the first £2000 of your savings.
Nick
Is the first '£1000' and the last'£1000' the same money?
If so then you do not need to generate any money (such as
salary/pension/etc) to be paid in. You have a closed loop system.
Which would work with as many banks as you like.
The money has to leave the organisation I think. So I send 1k monthly
from one a/c with org A to org B where I also have had an a/c for
years. Some payments, pension type, go in there. I think one or maybe
two go out. Some days later £1150 (I think council tax was 150 a long
time ago) goes to a second a/c at org A, the interest-paying a/c. Or
it might all be the other way round. I'm losing the plot now. But it
happens automatically and I check accounts every few weeks to make
sure there is enough in each for what is going to go ut. Most standing
orders are from one at org A and other pension ..ICBA to log in and
check. I no longer get the higher rate of interest and could close
the ac/ at Org B but have had it for years and it is not doing any
harm. All accounts are free. Unlike Spain where things were not
free.All charged for. But more interest sort of covered it.
Marmaduke Jinks
2019-02-03 17:06:16 UTC
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
The interest paying current account that I have with them required £750 per
month to be paid in when I opened it. Now retired but not getting a state
pension I have a quarterly pension so 2 out of 3 months it doesn't get that
sum. They've not said anything. It was at their special enticing rate of
interest in that first year but that's now just a trickle.

Having been with the Coop, I wanted to get away from them when they became
non-coop like and I haven't regretted going to the Nat.

MJ
Mike