OT: Earphones
2019-11-14 11:03:13 UTC
Please can anyrat recommend a reasonable price/quality pair of earphones
(not headphones) for thisrat who has odd-shaped ear-oles and can't wear
the ordinary ear bud type, as they won't stay in my ears. A few years
ago I had an excellent pair of Sennheiser ones which cost about £15, but
they don't seem to make them any more. There are endless listings on
eBay for cheap sports earphones and I bought a pair of them but the
over-ear part is very thin too flexible wire - and I lost one of the
little cap things which make the ear bud comfortable.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-11-14 11:12:06 UTC
Please can anyrat recommend a reasonable price/quality pair of
earphones (not headphones) for thisrat who has odd-shaped ear-oles and
Can you clarify what you mean by "earphones not headphones but not
earbuds"?
Post by Jenny M Benson
can't wear the ordinary ear bud type, as they won't stay in my ears. A
few years ago I had an excellent pair of Sennheiser ones which cost
about £15, but they don't seem to make them any more. There are
endless listings on eBay for cheap sports earphones and I bought a pair
of them but the over-ear part is very thin too flexible wire - and I
lost one of the little cap things which make the ear bud comfortable.
(Can you not find your old Sennheiser model on ebay?)

The thing about smut is it harms no one and it's rarely cruel. Besides, it's a
gleeful rejection of the dreary and the "correct".
- Alison Graham, RT 2014/10/25-31
Penny
2019-11-14 12:21:51 UTC
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:12:06 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Please can anyrat recommend a reasonable price/quality pair of
earphones (not headphones) for thisrat who has odd-shaped ear-oles and
Can you clarify what you mean by "earphones not headphones but not
earbuds"?
Yes, I'm a bit confused by that too.
I like earbuds which mostly do stay in for me and I've had great trouble
with the sort that hook over your ears as one of my ears is crumpled* and
won't hold them.

I do have (somewhere - I just use cheap earbuds now) a sort of combo
headphone/in the ear thing. A thin, flexible 'headband' which acts like a
spring to keep the in-the-ear bits in place. I think it probably is a
'sports' one, designed to sit behind the head (or possibly under the chin)
rather than on top. It won't have cost as much as £15.

*This seems to be a genetic trait, both daughters also have it.
2019-11-14 17:25:00 UTC
Please can anyrat recommend a reasonable price/quality pair of
earphones (not headphones) for thisrat who has odd-shaped ear-oles and
Can you clarify what you mean by "earphones not headphones but not
earbuds"?
Headphones means a band that goes over the head and big round blobs
which cover the ears.

Earbuds means little nubs that poke into the ear and have no means of
support.

So what I am after is something like the sort sold for sport/jogging
which are supported by something round the ears, but they must have
decent supports that really do support!
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-11-14 21:32:30 UTC
Please can anyrat recommend a reasonable price/quality pair of
earphones (not headphones) for thisrat who has odd-shaped ear-oles and
Can you clarify what you mean by "earphones not headphones but not
earbuds"?
Headphones means a band that goes over the head and big round blobs
which cover the ears.
Earbuds means little nubs that poke into the ear and have no means of
support.
So what I am after is something like the sort sold for sport/jogging
which are supported by something round the ears, but they must have
decent supports that really do support!
You mean like a sort of straightened and then re-bent paper clip that
goes round the ear - like some hearing aids. And you're calling that an
earphone (rather than a headphone or earbud).

Mike, can _you_ give some thoughts on how these terms are used in the
profession? (And ideally recommend something for Jenny?)

John

`Where a calculator on the Eniac is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and weighs
30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and perhaps
weigh 1.5 tons.' Popular Mechanics, March 1949 (quoted in Computing 1999-12-16)
Mike
2019-11-14 21:54:50 UTC
[...]
Can’t recommend anything really as have no experience of ‘earbuds’ etc. to
me, headphones are a pair of transducers that enclose the ears and have a
headband to bind them together and often to rest on the wearer’s head both
to hold in correct position and ‘take the weight’.
These headphones come in a variety of sizes, weight and degree of isolation
from external sound for the wearer; some are ‘closed’ and these offer the
greatest isolation, ‘open’ types allow some external sound to penetrate to
the wearers ears.

To me, earbuds are small transducers that fit into the ear canal, are much
lighter and may be wired together via a flexible lead that is plugged in or
of a type that use ‘bluetooth’ technology and have rechargeable batteries
thus freeing the wearer of encumbering leads.

Err.... that’s not really what you wanted to know is it? I know even less
about the type that hang over the ears I’m afraid. Many people in the sound
world refer to headphones as ‘cans’ but this is not a term I use or even
like!
2019-11-15 22:36:00 UTC
[...]
I am not Mike - but I suspect those items will be described as
"earphones" but will have "sports" somewhere in the description - since
they stand a better chance of staying put during vigorous exercise.
2019-11-16 08:00:38 UTC
I am not Mike - but I suspect those items will be described as
"earphones" but will have "sports" somewhere in the description - since
they stand a better chance of staying put during vigorous exercise.
Oo-err Missus!
I hope you weren't suggesting that Sam was referring to aural sex, Mike.
2019-11-16 08:03:11 UTC
I am not Mike - but I suspect those items will be described as
"earphones" but will have "sports" somewhere in the description - since
they stand a better chance of staying put during vigorous exercise.
Oo-err Missus!
I hope you weren't suggesting that Sam was referring to aural sex, Mike.
Totally unheard of Sid!
2019-11-16 13:56:14 UTC
I am not Mike - but I suspect those items will be described as
"earphones" but will have "sports" somewhere in the description - since
they stand a better chance of staying put during vigorous exercise.
Oo-err Missus!
There's probably a deep seam to be mined under "music to bonk by". In
relatively mainstream movies, the only one I can think of is Ravel's
Bolero (Dudley Moore and Bo Derek in "10" - a very joyless episode IMO);
thinking generally, first that comes to mind ATM is "Rite of Spring".
(There are probably lots in the pop and rock genres, some of which
almost certainly explicitly say so in the lyrics; come to think of it
even Abba have a possible such [Gimme].) In less mainstream sources,
I've seen one which I'm afraid is seared into my mind whenever I hear
"the Birdie Song".
I hope you weren't suggesting that Sam was referring to aural sex, Mike.
"In one ear and out the other" suddenly has a whole new meaning )-:!
Post by Mike
Totally unheard of Sid!
VG (-:

(Incidentally, it was made in Spain so shouldn't it be a "paella western"?) -
Barry Norman [on "A Fistful of Dollars"], RT 2014/10/4-10
Nick Odell
2019-11-17 12:21:28 UTC
On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 13:56:14 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
"In one ear and out the other" suddenly has a whole new meaning )-:!
Sorry John, but that's been done before. Most recently when a radio
comedy current affairs show (may have been The News Quiz) picked up on
this story from The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/oct/08/my-husband-is-terrible-in-bed-and-has-been-for-30-years

and especially the line:

" ..His lovemaking is so boring and always has been. I have tried to
explain that foreplay is important, but it goes in one ear and out the
other. "

2019-11-16 19:38:34 UTC
I am not Mike - but I suspect those items will be described as
"earphones" but will have "sports" somewhere in the description - since
they stand a better chance of staying put during vigorous exercise.
Oo-err Missus!
I hope you weren't suggesting that Sam was referring to aural sex, Mike.
That would be the gold standard in such matters.
2019-11-17 07:10:41 UTC
I am not Mike - but I suspect those items will be described as
"earphones" but will have "sports" somewhere in the description - since
they stand a better chance of staying put during vigorous exercise.
Oo-err Missus!
I hope you weren't suggesting that Sam was referring to aural sex, Mike.
That would be the gold standard in such matters.
A form of otoeroticism?
2019-11-17 08:44:10 UTC
I am not Mike - but I suspect those items will be described as
"earphones" but will have "sports" somewhere in the description - since
they stand a better chance of staying put during vigorous exercise.
Oo-err Missus!
I hope you weren't suggesting that Sam was referring to aural sex, Mike.
That would be the gold standard in such matters.
A form of otoeroticism?
Cisms are extra Luv.
2019-11-17 20:15:11 UTC
I am not Mike - but I suspect those items will be described as
"earphones" but will have "sports" somewhere in the description - since
they stand a better chance of staying put during vigorous exercise.
Oo-err Missus!
I hope you weren't suggesting that Sam was referring to aural sex, Mike.
That would be the gold standard in such matters.
A form of otoeroticism?
Cisms are extra Luv.
But might clear up with the right antibiotics.
Steve Hague
2019-11-14 12:13:08 UTC
Please can anyrat recommend a reasonable price/quality pair of earphones
(not headphones) for thisrat who has odd-shaped ear-oles and can't wear
the ordinary ear bud type, as they won't stay in my ears.  A few years
ago I had an excellent pair of Sennheiser ones which cost about £15, but
they don't seem to make them any more.  There are endless listings on
eBay for cheap sports earphones and I bought a pair of them but the
over-ear part is very thin too flexible wire - and I lost one of the
little cap things which make the ear bud comfortable.
I'm amazed that Sennheiser ever sold anything for £15. Did you leave a 0
off?
2019-11-14 12:23:03 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Jenny M Benson
Please can anyrat recommend a reasonable price/quality pair of
earphones (not headphones) for thisrat who has odd-shaped ear-oles and
can't wear the ordinary ear bud type, as they won't stay in my ears.
A few years ago I had an excellent pair of Sennheiser ones which cost
about £15, but they don't seem to make them any more.  There are
endless listings on eBay for cheap sports earphones and I bought a
pair of them but the over-ear part is very thin too flexible wire -
and I lost one of the little cap things which make the ear bud
comfortable.
I'm amazed that Sennheiser ever sold anything for £15. Did you leave a 0
off?
:-O

It was a few years ago! I think they came from Amazon. I saw some on
eBay which might have suited, except they were £400+.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-11-14 12:24:06 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Jenny M Benson
Please can anyrat recommend a reasonable price/quality pair of
earphones (not headphones) for thisrat who has odd-shaped ear-oles
and can't wear the ordinary ear bud type, as they won't stay in my
ears.  A few years ago I had an excellent pair of Sennheiser ones
which cost about £15, but they don't seem to make them any more.
There are endless listings on eBay for cheap sports earphones and I
bought a pair of them but the over-ear part is very thin too flexible
wire - and I lost one of the little cap things which make the ear bud comfortable.
I'm amazed that Sennheiser ever sold anything for £15. Did you leave a
0 off?
Steve
Oh, they've been in the mid price range for a decade or two now. I think
it started about the time yellow foam became fashionable.

(Some of what's sold under that name nowadays I fear may not be made by
them, especially at the bottom end.)

Another lively meeting of thr 1922 Committee - the secret gathering of BBC
presenters that gets its name from the fact that no one is sober after
twenty-past seven. - Eddie Mair, RT 16-22 April 2011
Nick Odell
2019-11-14 14:30:07 UTC
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:03:13 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
Please can anyrat recommend a reasonable price/quality pair of earphones
(not headphones) for thisrat who has odd-shaped ear-oles and can't wear
the ordinary ear bud type, as they won't stay in my ears. A few years
ago I had an excellent pair of Sennheiser ones which cost about £15, but
they don't seem to make them any more. There are endless listings on
eBay for cheap sports earphones and I bought a pair of them but the
over-ear part is very thin too flexible wire - and I lost one of the
little cap things which make the ear bud comfortable.
Have a look at Amazon ASIN B00LHKZ0DE. They fall short of some of your
specifications but that may not matter because they fit deep in the
ear canal and have different size mouldings for different ear canals.

I own three sets of these - sold under a variety of other brand names
but usually recognisable by the additional earpieces and cable clips
for the cord - after having bought an additional two sets because the
first set were nice but I didn't think they'd last. Well, they have
lasted and the spares are still in their plastic packs.

They may not suit you but it's only £2.54 to find out.

2019-11-14 17:33:55 UTC
Have a look at Amazon ASIN B00LHKZ0DE. They fall short of some of your
specifications but that may not matter because they fit deep in the
ear canal and have different size mouldings for different ear canals.
I own three sets of these - sold under a variety of other brand names
but usually recognisable by the additional earpieces and cable clips
for the cord - after having bought an additional two sets because the
first set were nice but I didn't think they'd last. Well, they have
lasted and the spares are still in their plastic packs.
They may not suit you but it's only £2.54 to find out.
Oh yes, I wonder if that extra long earpiece might do the trick. It's
just my left ear which is the problem - it spits out the normal earbuds
all the time. As you say, they're cheap enough to risk it.

I *always* seem to order things from Amazon on a Friday and then realise
that was silly because I'm never in all day on a Friday to receive
deliveries, but I have remembered now (1) that it's Thursday to-day, so
I will hold off ordering until Monday. Will let you know if they suit.

'Phone conversation with sis a few minutes ago:

Sis: Just to remind you I'm coming in the car to-morrow.
Me: Are we going somewhere, then?
Sis: Yes, to Llandudno Christmas Fayre (2)
Me: Oh, is it that time already? <Peers at bottom right corner of
computer screen> So it is! I have printed the tickets!

(2) Their stupid spelling, not mine.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/