Jess Titchener
2018-06-26 02:14:03 UTC
We went to see Jess Titchener's best friend in York yesterday (Monday).
We actually went to the opening production in the new pop-up
Shakespeare's Rose Theatre in York and only then discovered Rina Mahoney
was in the cast.

Unlike the rather more permanent Globe in London, this reproduction
theatre was built out of scaffolding in about 3 weeks and will probably
come down as quickly when the run ends in September. Apart from the
stage area, much of the inside looks -well- scaffoldy but externally
it's a commanding presence. The play we saw was the opener - Macbeth.
Some fine performances too. And a few not-so fine. It was the first
performance so maybe it just needs a little more time to bed in.

2018-06-26 10:15:46 UTC
We went to see Jess Titchener's best friend in York yesterday (Monday).
We actually went to the opening production in the new pop-up
Shakespeare's Rose Theatre in York and only then discovered Rina
Mahoney was in the cast.
Unlike the rather more permanent Globe in London, this reproduction
theatre was built out of scaffolding in about 3 weeks and will probably
come down as quickly when the run ends in September. Apart from the
stage area, much of the inside looks -well- scaffoldy but externally
it's a commanding presence. The play we saw was the opener - Macbeth.
Some fine performances too. And a few not-so fine. It was the first
performance so maybe it just needs a little more time to bed in.
Nick
That pop-up Globe-alike received a lot of coverage on the news channels
yesterday: the main fact about it apparently being the fact that it went
up in about 3 weeks on a car-park.

The obvious - to me, anyway - question, however, was never mentioned:
where are the people who normally park there, plus the additional ones
coming to attend the venue, supposed to park? Although I don't remember
ever having been there (except passing through on the railway), I
believe York is quite crowded at the best of times.

(Of course, such reports being what they are, the description of where
it's gone up as a car-park may be incorrect.)

... "Peter and out." ... "Kevin and out." (Link episode)
krw
2018-06-26 11:35:34 UTC
where are the people who normally park there, plus the additional ones
coming to attend the venue, supposed to park?
You have to remember that motorists are not normal citizens. They are
the scum of the earth with all their pollution, gross wastage of natural
resources and so on. So removing parking prevents them getting places
and gets the cars out of the way.
2018-06-26 12:30:48 UTC
where are the people who normally park there, plus the additional ones
coming to attend the venue, supposed to park?
You have to remember that motorists are not normal citizens.  They are
the scum of the earth with all their pollution, gross wastage of natural
resources and so on.  So removing parking prevents them getting places
and gets the cars out of the way.
Quite right too, krw. Oooops! Did I miss an irony smiley somewhere?

Seriously, although we arrived and departed by train, I know there are
still some people who insist on traveling by car. York has made a very
determined effort to build up its Park and Ride scheme so I guess
motorists will be able to P&R instead of driving round and round in
endless circles trying to seek out non-existent city centre parking places.

We are away for the next few days so expect some radio silence from over
here.

2018-06-26 12:35:06 UTC
Quite right too, krw. Oooops! Did I miss an irony smiley somewhere?
We are off to Manchester at the end of September, well Salford actually,
or Weatherfield in reality.

Thought that a train trip might be nice. Then thought again.

Also wanted a ride on the West Somerset railway as I don't think I have
been on the line since they extended the service beyond Blue Anchor.
Even for one of me it is probably more time convenient to take a car
after allowing for the transfer to bus etc.
Mike Ruddock
2018-06-26 14:41:47 UTC
[...]
Which car park was it? I would guess St George's Field, which is
alongside the river.

Mike Ruddock
Nick Odell
2018-06-30 17:35:36 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
I think it was actually the Castle Car Park. The one next to Clifford's
Tower.

2018-07-03 15:25:10 UTC
On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 11:15:46 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
where are the people who normally park there, plus the additional ones
coming to attend the venue, supposed to park?
A question I've often asked about street markets which have been shifted
off the street and onto a car park instead. Markets (used to *) attract
many more people to a town and put pressure on available parking space
anyway - perhaps this is part of the reason they seem to be in decline.

*here the extra people are fewer because where the livestock market used to
be is now Tesco and its huge but never full car park. Maybe they should
move what's left of the itinerant market there.
Some people deliberately avoid the town on market day because they believe
it's hard to park - this is no longer the case because the market has
shrunk, possibly because the Market Hall was shut for a year or so during
refurbishment and people stopped coming into town for it.
Several shop people have told me that market day is now their quietest day
:(