So, farewell then...
2020-04-08 07:05:17 UTC
...John Prine.

Covid got you in the end, old friend.

Thanks, John. Go well.
2020-04-08 07:15:05 UTC
...John Prine.
Covid got you in the end, old friend.
Thanks, John. Go well.
Showing my ignorance here. Who was John Prine?
2020-04-08 08:03:44 UTC
On 8 Apr 2020 07:15:05 GMT, Sally Thompson
...John Prine.
Covid got you in the end, old friend.
Thanks, John. Go well.
Showing my ignorance here. Who was John Prine?
The news said he was a folk singer who even Dylan admired but I'd not
heard of him either.
Sid Nuncius
2020-04-08 09:41:34 UTC
On 8 Apr 2020 07:15:05 GMT, Sally Thompson
...John Prine.
Covid got you in the end, old friend.
Thanks, John. Go well.
Showing my ignorance here. Who was John Prine?
The news said he was a folk singer who even Dylan admired but I'd not
heard of him either.
He was a terrific songwriter (IMO). Others often did better versions of
his songs than he did (also in IMO) but not always.

Here's a slightly unlikely cover by Minnie Driver of The Speed Of The
Sound Of Loneliness, which I love:

His last album was a gem, I think. His voice wasn't great following
cancer treatment and just age, but Egg & Daughter Nite is really witty
(It's about a practice in Lincoln, Nebraska in the 60s when farmers used
to come to town once a week to distribute their eggs and dropped their
daughters off at a dance, hence the title):

("If they knew what you were thinkin',
They'd run you out of Lincoln..." Genius!)

And this, which I find genuinely affecting:

Just a small sample. He wrote lots of great stuff.
2020-04-08 09:54:50 UTC
On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 10:41:34 +0100, Sid Nuncius
http://youtu.be/hVbvVdIqKNk
http://youtu.be/L_owceU3DTs
("If they knew what you were thinkin',
They'd run you out of Lincoln..." Genius!)
http://youtu.be/nXbEFTv9zr0
Just a small sample. He wrote lots of great stuff.
Oh yes! Thanks. I like him
Vicky Ayech
2020-04-08 09:56:52 UTC
[...]
I love Minnie Driver. Heard that song before I think. I want her to
play me when they film my life.
Chris McMillan
2020-04-09 15:37:55 UTC
...John Prine.
Covid got you in the end, old friend.
Thanks, John. Go well.
Those celebs who said he was good were way better known than he in these
villas

Sincerely Chris
Alex
2020-04-21 22:01:02 UTC
Oh yes. I was lucky enough to see him perform many times over the years. You could tell his quality by the esteem he was held in by other top-drawer songwriters.
BrritSki
Niles, is that you ?
Peter Percival
2020-04-29 13:27:45 UTC