Boo Hoo Virgin!
2021-05-24 15:59:09 UTC
I have just received this message from Virgin on the ridiculous (who have
been putting up their fees again recently)

“ We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this time
you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform.”
No ‘We regret to inform you’ or We are sorry but’ message with it, just
that without a by your leave or anything. Talk about underhand!!!!!!
So, Umrats, you know what follows, is there a free usenet service available
anywhere these days please?
2021-05-24 16:04:51 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
is there a free usenet service available
anywhere these days please?
It is writ that Eternal September give good service. Never tried them
myself.
Wrexham, UK
Marmaduke Jinks
2021-05-24 17:09:19 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
is there a free usenet service available
anywhere these days please?
It is writ that Eternal September give good service. Never tried them
myself.
Wrexham, UK
Yes Eternal September is good.

MJ
Philip Hole
2021-05-24 20:00:59 UTC
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Mike McMillan
is there a free usenet service available
anywhere these days please?
It is writ that Eternal September give good service. Never tried them
myself.
Wrexham, UK
Yes Eternal September is good.
MJ
+1

Unless you want the all bells and whistles (and email):

https://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
Flop
Peter
2021-05-24 16:32:44 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
I have just received this message from Virgin on the ridiculous (who have
been putting up their fees again recently)
“ We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this time
you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform.”
No ‘We regret to inform you’ or We are sorry but’ message with it, just
Either would have been insincere.
Post by Mike McMillan
that without a by your leave or anything. Talk about underhand!!!!!!
So, Umrats, you know what follows, is there a free usenet service available
anywhere these days please?
AIOE, and others. Albasani is defunct.
--
Just as 'beautiful' points the way for aesthetics and 'good' for ethics,
so do words like 'true' for logic. All sciences have truth as their
heat. Frege in 'Thoughts' (Der Gedanke)
Sid Nuncius
2021-05-24 17:35:58 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
I have just received this message from Virgin on the ridiculous (who have
been putting up their fees again recently)
“ We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this time
you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform.”
No ‘We regret to inform you’ or We are sorry but’ message with it, just
that without a by your leave or anything. Talk about underhand!!!!!!
So, Umrats, you know what follows, is there a free usenet service available
anywhere these days please?
Like many otherrats, I've paid 10 Euros a year for news.individual.net
for about 10 years now. I've never regretted it; it doesn't break the
bank and it's been rock-solid reliable.
--
Sid
MTAAW
DavidK
Hear, hear!
steve hague
2021-05-24 20:17:20 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
I have just received this message from Virgin on the ridiculous (who have
been putting up their fees again recently)
“ We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this time
you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform.”
No ‘We regret to inform you’ or We are sorry but’ message with it, just
that without a by your leave or anything. Talk about underhand!!!!!!
So, Umrats, you know what follows, is there a free usenet service available
anywhere these days please?
Virgin ditched us a few years ago, which meant some changes, email
address, and many other things. Thunderbird and AIOE were my friends.
2021-05-24 20:24:26 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
I have just received this message from Virgin on the ridiculous (who have
been putting up their fees again recently)
“ We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this time
you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform.”
No ‘We regret to inform you’ or We are sorry but’ message with it, just
that without a by your leave or anything. Talk about underhand!!!!!!
So, Umrats, you know what follows, is there a free usenet service available
anywhere these days please?
That's odd. I moved to Eternal September in 2010, which is when
IIRC Virgin said they were closing their news server.

It is OK, considering it is free, but does have hiccoughs from
time to time, so I have, as others, recently paid for
news.individual.net

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-05-24 22:51:24 UTC
On Mon, 24 May 2021 at 21:24:26, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
Post by Chris J Dixon
That's odd. I moved to Eternal September in 2010, which is when
IIRC Virgin said they were closing their news server.
It is OK, considering it is free, but does have hiccoughs from
time to time, so I have, as others, recently paid for
news.individual.net
Chris
E-S - text only (a few small binaries slip through in one or two
'groups); pretty reliable (I don't think there have been two outages
long enough for me to actually notice), and (if you take
eternal-september.support) Ray Banana (yes that really is his name!)
often explains what went wrong.

n.i.n is "the Berlin server" (once - maybe still? - run by UniBerlin).
I've heard nothing but good of it (mostly here), and while not free, at
€10 a year it's near enough so. (Not used it myself.)

Personally, I don't like the Senate idea, I don't like the idea of having to
elect another bunch of overpaid incompetents. I don't like the idea of having
wholesale appointments by the PM of the day for domination of the second
chamber. I like anachronism. I like the idea of a bunch of unelected congenital
idiots getting in the way of a bunch of conmen. - Charles F. Hankel, 1998-3-19.
krw