Good article here
2020-03-16 13:05:50 UTC
<https://capx.co/coronavirus-piers-morgan-and-the-limits-of-expertise/>

Executive summary:

In the words of Graham Medley, the remarkably humble Professor of
Infectious Disease Modelling who appeared on Newsnight this week:
“Anyone who tells you they know what’s going to happen over the next six
months is lying.”
BrritSki
2020-03-16 13:12:39 UTC
<https://capx.co/coronavirus-piers-morgan-and-the-limits-of-expertise/>
In the words of Graham Medley, the remarkably humble Professor of
“Anyone who tells you they know what’s going to happen over the next six
months is lying.”
And here:
<https://unherd.com/2020/03/we-dont-deserve-our-wretched-media-class/>

Executive summary:

No epidemiological model is trivial and not one is obviously “right”.
Uncertainty persists (the statistician’s maxim), and good modellers — of
the sort I’m sure are advising Sir Patrick and Dr Witty — will make
politicians aware of that. Those politicians then have to work out how
to share that complex, dynamic message with us.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-03-16 21:02:19 UTC
<https://capx.co/coronavirus-piers-morgan-and-the-limits-of-expertise/>
In the words of Graham Medley, the remarkably humble Professor of
“Anyone who tells you they know what’s going to happen over the next
six months is lying.”
<https://unherd.com/2020/03/we-dont-deserve-our-wretched-media-class/>
No epidemiological model is trivial and not one is obviously “right”.
Uncertainty persists (the statistician’s maxim), and good modellers — of
the sort I’m sure are advising Sir Patrick and Dr Witty — will make
politicians aware of that. Those politicians then have to work out how
to share that complex, dynamic message with us.
And of course with any model you have to know what assumptions were made
in constructing it.

Whenever I hear the new and vague buzzphrase 'led by the science' I ask
myself "which science?". And that's before I get cynical about it.