More Thunderbird strangeness.
Steve Hague
2019-10-24 12:49:15 UTC
I have Thunderbird set to show NG messages in order received, threaded
and descending, so the last message received appears at the top of the
screen in it's appropriate thread. Every so often this changes for no
apparent reason, and I see elderly messages at the top of the screen,
unthreaded and in ascending order. No big deal when it just happens
occasionally, but it happened three times today already, and I have to
reset all my newsgroups individually. Another thing that's happening
more and more is that I'll click on a message, and the display will go
from full screen to a small pane off to one side. Is this just me, or a
general problem with Thunderbird?
2019-10-24 13:08:49 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I have Thunderbird set to show NG messages in order received, threaded
and descending, so the last message received appears at the top of  the
screen in it's appropriate thread. Every so often this changes for no
apparent reason, and I see elderly messages at the top of the screen,
unthreaded and in ascending order. No big deal when it just happens
occasionally, but it happened three times today already, and I have to
reset all my newsgroups individually. Another thing that's happening
more and more is that I'll click on a message, and the display will go
from full screen to a small pane off to one side. Is this just me, or a
general problem with Thunderbird?
Steve
I am not seeing this but I am up to date on 60.9.0 (32 bit) and I
suspect there are later versions which may contain bugs?
Steve Hague
2019-10-24 13:16:33 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I have Thunderbird set to show NG messages in order received, threaded
and descending, so the last message received appears at the top of
the screen in it's appropriate thread. Every so often this changes for
no apparent reason, and I see elderly messages at the top of the
screen, unthreaded and in ascending order. No big deal when it just
happens occasionally, but it happened three times today already, and I
have to reset all my newsgroups individually. Another thing that's
happening more and more is that I'll click on a message, and the
display will go from full screen to a small pane off to one side. Is
this just me, or a general problem with Thunderbird?
Steve
I am not seeing this but I am up to date on 60.9.0 (32 bit) and I
suspect there are later versions which may contain bugs?
I'm on 68.2.0 (32 bit). I'll have a look on the Thunderbird website, but
I usually find it has the answer to every problem but mine.
Steve
Anne B
2019-10-27 23:35:02 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by krw
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Does anyone know if TB can be configured to delete read messages, or at
the very least to desist from showing them again once they have been
read? And if so, how?

Anne B
Sid Nuncius
2019-10-28 06:19:38 UTC
Post by Anne B
Does anyone know if TB can be configured to delete read messages, or at
the very least to desist from showing them again once they have been
read? And if so, how?
View > Threads > Unread should do it. TB will continue to show messages
you've read until you leave the folder; when you go back to it they
won't be displayed. If you need to look at a read message again, View >
Threads > All will show them. You can revert to Unread once you've
found it.

You need to set your preference for each folder separately. I display
all my emails, read and unread, until I delete them but I set umra as
above just to keep on top of the volume of posts. I make liberal use of
the M key to mark as unread posts I want to find again easily - e.g. if
I want to read to the end of a thread, do something else before
replying, think about it for a while etc.

HTH
Anne B