An utterly pointless load of nonsense
2019-07-11 08:49:02 UTC
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general. Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)

I wondered whether umrats might like to contribute to the list. So far,
I have the following. Songs beginning with unrepresented letters would
be especially welcome, but all contributions gratefully received.

(It's actually not a bad playlist by and large - with a couple of
notable exceptions.)

Abraham, Martin and John – Marvin Gaye
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere – The Who

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered – Ella Fitzgerald etc.
Baubles, Bangles and Beads – Frank Sinatra etc.
Beg, Steal Or Borrow – New Seekers

Flash Bang Wallop! - Tommy Steele

I Me Mine – The Beatles

Lipstick, Powder and Paint – Shakin’ Stevens
Lawyers, Guns and Money – Warren Zevon

Me and You and A Dog Named Boo – Lobo
My Echo, My Shadow and Me (We Three) – Inkspots etc.
Me Myself I – Joan Armatrading

One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer – John Lee Hooker etc.

Ready, Willing and Able – Doris Day

Sex and Drugs and Rock & Roll[1] – Ian Dury
Signed, Sealed, Delivered – Stevie Wonder
Shake, Rattle and Roll – Bill Haley
Stop, Look and Listen – Kool & The Gang
Stop, Look, Listen – Marvin Gaye

Trains and Boats and Planes – Dionne Warwick

Up, Up and Away – 5th Dimension etc

Yesterme, Yesteryou, Yesterday – Stevie Wonder
Young, Gifted and Black – Bob & Marcia (Nina Simone)

[1]I think Rock & Roll counts as a single thing.
vk
Neat Neat Neat - The Damned
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-11 10:31:41 UTC
Post by vk
Post by Sid Nuncius
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse
myself (shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and
music in general.  Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose
titles are just a list of three things and nothing else.  ("And" and
"or" are permitted.)
I wondered whether umrats might like to contribute to the list.  So
far, I have the following.  Songs beginning with unrepresented letters
would be especially welcome, but all contributions gratefully received.
(It's actually not a bad playlist by and large - with a couple of
notable exceptions.)
Neat Neat Neat - The Damned
I probably should have specified that there's a separate list of Songs
Whose Titles Are Repeated Word. Separate categories for 2 and 3. I've
added this to the 3 category - I didn't know it. Thanks.

(Yes, I am a sad old git with too much time on his hands. Well, on his
back actually.)
Cliff Frisby

"Pigs (Three Different Ones)" - Pink Floyd?
Phil
2019-07-11 10:13:24 UTC
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general.  Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else.  ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)
I wondered whether umrats might like to contribute to the list.  So far,
I have the following.  Songs beginning with unrepresented letters would
be especially welcome, but all contributions gratefully received.
A brief stroll through a small part of my database (Is that cheating?)
turned up the following:
"You Me and the Bourgeoisie" by The Submarines.
"Plink, Plank, Plonk" Ken Mackintosh and his Orchestra
"Here, There and Everywhere" The Beatles
"Red White and Blues" Brendan Benson

Can I have "I Hope, I Think, I Know" - Oasis?

I also found two consecutive tracks by Echobelly called "Today Tomorrow
Sometime Never" and "Father, Ruler, King, Computer"

Phil
Paul Herber
2019-07-11 10:20:24 UTC
Post by Phil
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
If And is allowed then you can have (with an initial null term)

"And You and I" - Yes
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-11 10:29:08 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Phil
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
I think not. I considered it, but the initial And doesn't constitute a
Thing within the meaning of the act, I'm afraid.

(Fine track, though.)
2019-07-11 10:40:02 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 11:29:08 +0100, Sid Nuncius
<***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
With Jameson's or Bushmills, or Trotsky on the rocks from Comedians
and Angles by Tom Paxton
May God's bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true Dylan
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-11 10:27:50 UTC
Post by Phil
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
The threes are excellent - thanks.

The Echobelly tracks exceed the brief, however, and do not count. :o)
2019-07-11 10:29:42 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 09:49:02 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Eins und eins, das macht zwei - Hildegard Knef
Willkommen, Bien venue, welcome - Caberet
I feel pretty, I feel witty, I feel pretty and witty and bright -
Westside Story
A-Tisket A-Tasket A green and yellow basket
After the ball is over,
After the break of morn -
After the dancers' leaving;
After the stars are gone;
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-07-11 11:30:01 UTC
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse
myself (shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and
music in general.
Me too. One such is trying to translate some classics (I've often
wondered why "L'accordéoniste" - with maybe change to a guitar player -
has never caught on in English, for example), or putting words to tunes
that cry out for them. But yes, playing games with music is fun!
Post by Sid Nuncius
Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are just a
list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are permitted.)
I wondered whether umrats might like to contribute to the list. So
I thought I would surely have some! But - over 2500 files later - none,
apart from
Baubles, Bangles and Beads – Frank Sinatra etc.
which you already had (mine's Julie Andrews). There might have been a
few I missed. I had some twos - Cagney and Lacey, a Wing and a Prayer,
Hope and Glory - but not _that_many even of those.
[1]I think Rock & Roll counts as a single thing.
(Agreed.)

Of course, these don't count (-::
Les Trois Cloches/The Three Bells (Jimmy Brown)
I'll Give You Three Guesses (nice Mancini tune from "Darling Lili")
Drei Rote Rosen (not to be confused with Sieben Schwarze Rosen!)
Three Steps to Heaven
Money Money Money

Three- (or four-) way referendum, if we _have_ to have another one.

And every day in Britain, 33 properties are sold for around that price [a
million pounds or so]. - Jane Rackham, RT 2015/4/11-17
Penny
2019-07-11 12:05:18 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general. Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)
I wondered whether umrats might like to contribute to the list. So far,
I have the following. Songs beginning with unrepresented letters would
be especially welcome, but all contributions gratefully received.
Trying to fill some of the gaps...
I suspect
Cowboy Jimmy Joe - Alma Cogan
and
Devil Gate Drive - Suzi Quatro
and
Kiss Me Goodbye - Petula Clark
will be disallowed?

The Good the Bad and the Ugly - Hugo Montenegro (usually alphabetised under
G)

Lovin' Livin' and Givin' - Diana Ross
2019-07-11 12:44:59 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Leopard-skin Pill-box Hat which while the first two hyphenated words
are adjectival, are nevertheless things in their own right.
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-11 17:37:01 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
But the only actual thing in the title is the hat, so it's no go, I'm
afraid.
2019-07-11 20:22:48 UTC
Leopard-skin Pill-box Hat  which while the first two hyphenated words
are adjectival, are nevertheless things in their own right.
But the only actual thing in the title is the hat, so it's no go, I'm
afraid.
I know it's a reject for both lists, but I think today we should consider
Cricket, lovely Cricket... :)
Sid Nuncius

2019-07-11 17:26:54 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Is Itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini too many?
I think you have mis-understood the ‘brief’ Vicky. ;-)
2019-07-11 18:54:33 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general. Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)
Cowboy Jimmy Joe - Alma Cogan
and
Devil Gate Drive - Suzi Quatro
and
Kiss Me Goodbye - Petula Clark
will be disallowed?
Sid was after song titles that were three _things_; not just three
words. Three separate entities, though they might be connected. There's
only one _thing_ in each of the above - a cowboy, a drive, and an
instruction (kiss).
The Good the Bad and the Ugly - Hugo Montenegro (usually alphabetised under
G)
That I imagine qualifies! (I have it as being by Ennio Morricone. And I
thoroughly recommend this Danish rendering:
.)
Lovin' Livin' and Givin' - Diana Ross
And that!
Post by Mike
Is Itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini too many?
I think you have mis-understood the ‘brief’ Vicky. ;-)
Yes - only the bikini.

By most scientific estimates sustained, useful fusion is ten years in
the future - and will be ten years in the future for the next fifty
years or more. - "Hamadryad", ~2016-4-4
Penny
2019-07-11 22:26:38 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 19:54:33 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Sid Nuncius
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general. Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)
Cowboy Jimmy Joe - Alma Cogan
and
Devil Gate Drive - Suzi Quatro
and
Kiss Me Goodbye - Petula Clark
will be disallowed?
Sid was after song titles that were three _things_;
I know.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
not just three
words. Three separate entities, though they might be connected. There's
only one _thing_ in each of the above - a cowboy, a drive, and an
instruction (kiss).
I maintain that a Cowboy is one thing, a Joe is another and a Jimmy a
third.
Similarly a devil, a gate and a drive and a kiss, me and a goodbye
are lists of three nouns.
But I did say I doubted they would be allowed.
2019-07-11 23:06:49 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general. Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)
Cowboy Jimmy Joe - Alma Cogan
and
Devil Gate Drive - Suzi Quatro
and
Kiss Me Goodbye - Petula Clark
will be disallowed?
Sid was after song titles that were three _things_;
I know.
OK, three things _within the context of the song lyric_.
not just three
words. Three separate entities, though they might be connected. There's
only one _thing_ in each of the above - a cowboy, a drive, and an
instruction (kiss).
I maintain that a Cowboy is one thing, a Joe is another and a Jimmy a
third.
True! But I think _in that song lyric_, "Jimmy Joe" is the name of the
cowboy; it's not a song about those three people. (I assume; I don't
know that song.)
Post by Penny
Similarly a devil, a gate and a drive
Similarly, the song (again, I presume from a viewpoint of ignorance) is
not about those three things, but where "devil gate" is the name of the
drive.
Post by Penny
and a kiss, me and a goodbye
are lists of three nouns.
_Can_ be nouns; in this case, kiss is a verb (imperative), and goodbye
not a noun (my grammar is rusty over what it is here though! Adverb?).
Post by Penny
But I did say I doubted they would be allowed.
I enjoy discussions like this. Not Sid's fault for not being specific
enough - he only threw it out as a random thought!

I was surprised how few song titles _do_ consist of three separate items
in the way I thought Sid meant, like "Baubles, Bangles, and Beads".

The first banjo solo I played was actually just a series of mistakes. In fact
it was all the mistakes I knew at the time. - Tim Dowling, RT2015/6/20-26
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-11 17:37:46 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
No, too few - it's just one bikini.
2019-07-11 18:27:18 UTC
Is Itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini too many?
No, too few - it's just one bikini.
A bikinum?
Min
2019-07-12 01:50:17 UTC
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general. Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)
Gypsies, tramps and thieves?
Min
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-12 05:09:26 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Sid Nuncius
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general. Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)
Gypsies, tramps and thieves?
Yes indeed! How could I have missed that one?
2019-07-12 07:34:56 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 18:50:17 -0700 (PDT), Min <***@googlemail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Min
Post by Sid Nuncius
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general. Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)
Gypsies, tramps and thieves?
Ooo, that reminds me of
Cutthroats, Crooks and Con-Men - Show of Hands
and on a similar theme
Arrogance Ignorance and Greed - Show of Hands
2019-07-12 08:05:08 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Sid Nuncius
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general. Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)
Gypsies, tramps and thieves?
Ooo, that reminds me of
Cutthroats, Crooks and Con-Men - Show of Hands
and on a similar theme
Arrogance Ignorance and Greed - Show of Hands
I still don't see how Willkommen, Bienvenue,Welcome don't qualify
I am sure some of the accepted ones are just 3 words, some the same,
not things in the sense if physical ones
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-12 08:44:49 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Sid Nuncius
During times when I'm not able to do much else, I sometimes amuse myself
(shut up, Britters) with mental games about songs, bands and music in
general. Lately I've been trying to think of songs whose titles are
just a list of three things and nothing else. ("And" and "or" are
permitted.)
Gypsies, tramps and thieves?
Ooo, that reminds me of
Cutthroats, Crooks and Con-Men - Show of Hands
and on a similar theme
Arrogance Ignorance and Greed - Show of Hands
I still don't see how Willkommen, Bienvenue,Welcome don't qualify
I am sure some of the accepted ones are just 3 words, some the same,
not things in the sense if physical ones
It would qualify, but that's not the title. It's just called
Willkommen. It's annoying, I know, but rules is rules. :o)
2019-07-12 15:20:28 UTC
I wondered whether umrats might like to contribute to the list. So far,
I have the following. Songs beginning with unrepresented letters would
be especially welcome, but all contributions gratefully received.
Black, Brown & Beige - Duke Ellington
Rip, Rig & Panic - Roland Kirk
Post by Sid Nuncius
Me Myself I – Joan Armatrading
I'd have had "Me, Myself and I" performed by Billie Holiday and Lester
Young, but each to their own.
2019-07-12 15:36:56 UTC
On 12 Jul 2019 15:20:28 GMT, Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Sid Nuncius
Me Myself I – Joan Armatrading
I'd have had "Me, Myself and I" performed by Billie Holiday and Lester
Young, but each to their own.
Me too but I'd have thought either properly belongs in the 'the same thing
thrice' list rather than the '3 different things' list.
2019-07-12 16:11:29 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
I'd have had "Me, Myself and I" performed by Billie Holiday and Lester
Young, but each to their own.
Me too but I'd have thought either properly belongs in the 'the same thing
thrice' list rather than the '3 different things' list.
Ooh, aren't we pedants having a field day on this (now these) threads!
Looking back at Sid's original spec., it says <<Lately I've been trying
to think of songs whose titles are just a list of three things and
nothing else. ("And" and "or" are permitted.)>> The word "different"
does not appear in that. So "Me Myself [and] I" would qualify. And the
other list, I think (I'll let another pedant check!) was the same _word_
[clarified later as definitely word, not phrase!] three times
[_repeated_ twice, as another pointed out! (Where's Michelle of the
resistance when you need her!)], so MMI _wouldn't_ qualify for that
list.

Practicall every British actor with a bus pass is in there ...
Barry Norman (on "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" [2011]), RT 2015/12/12-18
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-12 18:18:23 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Me Myself I – Joan Armatrading
I'd have had "Me, Myself and I" performed by Billie Holiday and Lester
Young, but each to their own.
Quite. And Joan is my own. :o)

The other two duly added. Thanks.
2019-07-13 08:09:08 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Me Myself I – Joan Armatrading
I'd have had "Me, Myself and I" performed by Billie Holiday and Lester
Young, but each to their own.
Quite. And Joan is my own. :o)
The other two duly added. Thanks.
If we're to be pedantic in this thread I should point out that those two
may not actually qualify as songs.
2019-07-13 18:53:46 UTC
[...]
Anemone, Hibou and Bear: Soft Machine.

2019-07-13 22:37:08 UTC
On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 19:53:46 +0100, John Ashby wrote:

Anemone, Hibou and Bear: Soft Machine.
Deep and seriously cool, John.
Steveski <---- impressed (a la 'Bash St. Kids' :-) )
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-14 05:30:35 UTC
[...]
Excellent title. (I didn't know it and according to Google it's Hibou
Anemone and Bear.) Duly noted - thanks.

I also listened to it[1] on YouTube. I'm afraid it reminded me why I've
never liked Soft Machine. Decent lyrics, mind.

[1]Or as much of it as I could stand, anyway.