Firefox and Foxit
Flop
2020-06-20 17:14:47 UTC
This is a PSA.

I have long used Foxit as a .pdf Reader instead of Adobe.

It has one feature of particular use - you can use it as a printer.
That is, Print a page (eg a web page) to Foxit and a .pdf is generated.
Great for archiving snapshots of pages in readily accessible format..

However, the latest version of Foxit (v10) has dropped the printer facility.

If you have v9.4 do not upgrade as there is no real advantage.

How is this for a parliamentary explanation...

"Foxit Reader PDF Printer has been removed in V10 already since all of
features for creating PDF files in Foxit Reader have all disabled in
Foxit Reader V10."

-

Get Foxit v9.4 from:

http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/product/reader/desktop/win/9.4/FoxitReader941_enu_Setup_Clean.exe

and go to File/Preferences/Updater and select 'Do not download or
install updates automatically.
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-20 18:43:25 UTC
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 at 18:14:47, Flop <***@flop.knot.me.uk> wrote:
[]
Post by Flop
It has one feature of particular use - you can use it as a printer.
That is, Print a page (eg a web page) to Foxit and a .pdf is generated.
Great for archiving snapshots of pages in readily accessible format..
However, the latest version of Foxit (v10) has dropped the printer facility.
[]
FWIW, I use pdf995 for "printing" to, er, PDFs; get it from
http://pdf995.com/download.html (you need both parts). However, there
are lots of them - CutePDF is another; I think recent versions of Office
include one (though with Microsoft quirkiness of course).

If a cluttered desk is characteristic of a cluttered mind, what does an empty
desk mean ?
DavidK
2020-06-21 07:38:46 UTC
Post by Flop
It has one feature of particular use - you can use it as a printer.
That is, Print a page (eg a web page) to Foxit and a .pdf is generated.
Great for archiving snapshots of pages in readily accessible format..
However, the latest version of Foxit (v10) has dropped the printer facility.
[]
FWIW, I use pdf995 for "printing" to, er, PDFs; get it from
http://pdf995.com/download.html (you need both parts). However, there
are lots of them - CutePDF is another; I think recent versions of Office
include one (though with Microsoft quirkiness of course).
I'm using Firefox 77.0.1 and I just control-p (alt-f -> Print). AFAIK I
don't have any add-ons/extensions that enable this and I've been doing
this for years, maybe decades.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-21 15:51:35 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Flop
It has one feature of particular use - you can use it as a printer.
That is, Print a page (eg a web page) to Foxit and a .pdf is generated.
Great for archiving snapshots of pages in readily accessible format..
However, the latest version of Foxit (v10) has dropped the printer facility.
[]
FWIW, I use pdf995 for "printing" to, er, PDFs; get it from
http://pdf995.com/download.html (you need both parts). However, there
are lots of them - CutePDF is another; I think recent versions of
Office include one (though with Microsoft quirkiness of course).
I'm using Firefox 77.0.1 and I just control-p (alt-f -> Print). AFAIK I
don't have any add-ons/extensions that enable this and I've been doing
this for years, maybe decades.
Not for printing onto paper; Flop and I are talking about creating a PDF
file, no paper involved. Flop's Foxit (until the latest, apparently) and
my pdf995 _appear_ to be a printer, but when you press go, instead of
paper emerging somewhere, a popup appears asking for a filename, and a
PDF file is generated. Useful for showing people (remote from you, i. e.
by email) the output of software you have but they don't; I use it a lot
for the various charts, lists etc. my genealogy software can produce,
for example. (On the basis that nearly everyone can view PDF files.)

... basically it's another language and unless you've studied it, it's
difficult to grasp. I know people get outraged at me saying it, but it's only
my opinion. I'm not telling people who adore Shakespeare to stop adoring it
this minute. - Jane Horrocks, in Radio Times 30 July - 5 August 2011
Serena Blanchflower
2020-06-21 16:07:59 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Flop
[...]
So far as I know, I haven't installed anything specific for this but,
when I press print, one of the available "printers" is "Microsoft Print
to PDF" which does just that.
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
(Lewis Carroll)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-21 16:28:13 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 17:07:59, Serena Blanchflower
<***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
So far as I know, I haven't installed anything specific for this but,
when I press print, one of the available "printers" is "Microsoft Print
to PDF" which does just that.
Not part of up to Windows 7 at least; however, does come as part of (and
can be used outside) the more recent versions of Microsoft Office (not
sure when - I don't _think_ it was in Office 2003, which is my preferred
one). It _may_ be built-in to W10, I'm not sure (though I don't _think_
so).

Min
2020-06-21 16:50:01 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 17:07:59, Serena Blanchflower
So far as I know, I haven't installed anything specific for this but,
when I press print, one of the available "printers" is "Microsoft Print
to PDF" which does just that.
Not part of up to Windows 7 at least; however, does come as part of (and
can be used outside) the more recent versions of Microsoft Office (not
sure when - I don't _think_ it was in Office 2003, which is my preferred
one). It _may_ be built-in to W10, I'm not sure (though I don't _think_
so).
--
I'll take your word for it that it's not on 7, but it's somewhere post 7
because I've seen it. I don't have Office.
Min
Serena Blanchflower
2020-06-21 16:57:24 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 17:07:59, Serena Blanchflower
So far as I know, I haven't installed anything specific for this but,
when I press print, one of the available "printers" is "Microsoft
Print to PDF" which does just that.
Not part of up to Windows 7 at least; however, does come as part of (and
can be used outside) the more recent versions of Microsoft Office (not
sure when - I don't _think_ it was in Office 2003, which is my preferred
one). It _may_ be built-in to W10, I'm not sure (though I don't _think_
so).
If it's part of Office, it'll be Office 2007, or it could be Windows 10
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
Doing any activity with M.E. and not expecting kickback is like going
swimming and being surprised that you got wet. (Twitter: @chestnutkay)
Penny
2020-06-21 17:24:55 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 17:28:13 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 17:07:59, Serena Blanchflower
So far as I know, I haven't installed anything specific for this but,
when I press print, one of the available "printers" is "Microsoft Print
to PDF" which does just that.
Not part of up to Windows 7 at least; however, does come as part of (and
can be used outside) the more recent versions of Microsoft Office (not
sure when - I don't _think_ it was in Office 2003, which is my preferred
one). It _may_ be built-in to W10, I'm not sure (though I don't _think_
so).
It is one of the options offered to me on Win10.

My (ex-university) PC is Win10 pro - I did the upgrade from whatever it
came with - and probably has Office (though I've never used it).
Simple enough to try it.
2020-06-21 16:48:48 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Flop
[...]
My Firefox (also 77.0.1) on linux has Print to File, which has
mozilla.pdf as a default filename.

2020-06-21 17:31:08 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Flop
[...]
My iMac does summat similar to this too.
2020-06-22 09:47:10 UTC
So far as I know, I haven't installed anything specific for this but,
when I press print, one of the available "printers" is "Microsoft Print
to PDF" which does just that.
Which is what I use too!
Sjouke Burry
Which is even present in my XP PRO.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-22 13:45:26 UTC
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 12:24:49, Sjouke Burry
Post by Sjouke Burry
So far as I know, I haven't installed anything specific for this but,
when I press print, one of the available "printers" is "Microsoft Print
to PDF" which does just that.
Which is what I use too!
Which is even present in my XP PRO.
On which (a recent-ish) Office has been installed? (I'm pretty sure my
XP Home _didn't_ have any PDF "printer" until I added pdf995.)

"Usenet is a way of being annoyed by people you otherwise never would have
met."
- John J. Kinyon
Sjouke Burry
2020-06-22 17:13:15 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
So far as I know, I haven't installed anything specific for this but,
when I press print, one of the available "printers" is "Microsoft Print
to PDF" which does just that.
Which is what I use too!
Which is even present in my XP PRO.
On which (a recent-ish) Office has been installed? (I'm pretty sure my
XP Home _didn't_ have any PDF "printer" until I added pdf995.)
No office ever present. I hate the m$ shit.
Use Libre Office instead2-3 times a year.
Use normally notepad and notepad++ , the last one is excellent.
Sam Plusnet
2020-06-22 23:32:32 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
No office ever present. I hate the m$ shit.
Use Libre Office instead2-3 times a year.
Use normally notepad and notepad++ , the last one is excellent.
Substitute an elderly copy of StarOffice for Libre Office and I agree.

Ditto on the use of (e.g.) notepad rather than a full wormprocesser most
of the time - since the huge gamut of whistles and bells on all
wormprocessors is entirely wasted on the simple documents that cover 75%
of my output.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-06-23 07:59:21 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
No office ever present. I hate the m$ shit.
Use Libre Office instead2-3 times a year.
Use normally notepad and notepad++ , the last one is excellent.
Substitute an elderly copy of StarOffice for Libre Office and I agree.
Ditto on the use of (e.g.) notepad rather than a full wormprocesser most
of the time - since the huge gamut of whistles and bells on all
wormprocessors is entirely wasted on the simple documents that cover 75%
of my output.
Meh! Bloated frippery! Give mw WordStar every time!

///power.congratulations.love
krw
2020-06-23 09:19:26 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
No office ever present. I hate the m$ shit.
Use Libre Office instead2-3 times a year.
Use normally notepad and notepad++ , the last one is excellent.
Substitute an elderly copy of StarOffice for Libre Office and I agree.
Ditto on the use of (e.g.) notepad rather than a full wormprocesser
most of the time - since the huge gamut of whistles and bells on all
wormprocessors is entirely wasted on the simple documents that cover
75% of my output.
Meh! Bloated frippery!  Give mw WordStar every time!
I remember that. There was a rip-off version, but I cannot remember the
name and I used to be able to dig into the innards and change settings
so that did unique things for me. And all those keyboard combinations I
have forgotten.
2020-06-23 15:56:33 UTC
On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 10:19:26 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Meh! Bloated frippery!  Give mw WordStar every time!
I remember that. There was a rip-off version, but I cannot remember the
name and I used to be able to dig into the innards and change settings
so that did unique things for me. And all those keyboard combinations I
have forgotten.
I'm still using keyboard combinations I learnt in WordStar, one of the
things M$ did right was reusing those.

There was also a program called The Word in those days. I think it was a
spell check of sorts but it was very good at anagrams.
2020-06-25 20:47:35 UTC
I'm still using keyboard combinations I learnt in WordStar, one of the
things M$ did right was reusing those.
I miss ^KB and ^KK to mark blocks to copy or move.
2020-06-26 07:35:05 UTC
I'm still using keyboard combinations I learnt in WordStar, one of the
things M$ did right was reusing those.
I miss ^KB and ^KK to blocks to copy or move.
What did ^KRW do ? Or ^KKK for that matter ?
Mike
2020-06-26 07:43:35 UTC
I'm still using keyboard combinations I learnt in WordStar, one of the
things M$ did right was reusing those.
I miss ^KB and ^KK to blocks to copy or move.
What did ^KRW do ? Or ^KKK for that matter ?
The latter produced a row of hooded gentlemen...
2020-06-23 22:15:43 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
No office ever present. I hate the m$ shit.
Use Libre Office instead2-3 times a year.
Use normally notepad and notepad++ , the last one is excellent.
Substitute an elderly copy of StarOffice for Libre Office and I agree.
Ditto on the use of (e.g.) notepad rather than a full wormprocesser
most of the time - since the huge gamut of whistles and bells on all
wormprocessors is entirely wasted on the simple documents that cover
75% of my output.
Meh! Bloated frippery!  Give mw WordStar every time!
Spouse of my heart 'did' Wordstar, but was forced to shift over to
Wordperfect 5.1
Flop
2020-06-22 16:30:39 UTC
So far as I know, I haven't installed anything specific for this but,
when I press print, one of the available "printers" is "Microsoft
Print to PDF" which does just that.
Which is what I use too!
The original post was merely a warning to Foxit enthusiasts that they
may well be less enthusiastic about the 'New/Improved' upgrade.

However, it is interesting to see the options available.

Whilst I am here, I will also recommend www.pdfshaper.com which is very
useful for modifying pdfs.

It can:
Convert

• Convert PDF to Image or Image-based PDF
• Convert Image to PDF
• Convert PDF to text or MS Word files

Document / Pages

• Merge or split PDF documents
• Rename PDF files in batch mode
• Rotate, crop, insert and move pages

Security

• Set document password and permissions
• Add multiple digital signatures
• Decrypt document and edit metadata

Extract / Delete / Watermark

• Number pages, add image or text watermark
• Extract text, images and pages, extract CSV
• Delete annotations, bookmarks, images and pages

I have found that the main use is in merging pdfs. It is possible to
consolidate all monthly bills into a single annual file.

Just a thought.

BrritSki
2020-06-22 17:16:15 UTC
Post by Flop
Whilst I am here, I will also recommend www.pdfshaper.com which is very
useful for modifying pdfs.
Thanks, looks very useful. I always struggle when I need to access some
text in a PDF. I just hope I remember that I've downloaded it when I
next need it :)
Jane Vernon
2020-06-23 14:22:50 UTC
Post by Flop
[...]
Thank you very much, looks very useful.
--
Jane
BTME

2020-06-21 17:52:33 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Flop
[...]
I have an option in the Print dialogue which says: Microsoft Print to
PDF. I've used this a lot lately and it seems very precise. It simply
generates a PDF file which you can save to your computer. It's not
restricted to Office files - if I choose it for this post it gives me a
neat page of text, no headers, just the text.
2020-06-21 18:32:25 UTC
I wrote: I'm using Firefox 77.0.1 and I just control-p (alt-f -> Print). AFAIK
I don't have any add-ons/extensions that enable this and I've been
doing this for years, maybe decades.
Not for printing onto paper; Flop and I are talking about creating a PDF
file, no paper involved.
I don't have a printer. The only opton under 'printer' is 'print to
file'. Click on this and I can choose which pdf-file is created.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-21 22:39:06 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I wrote: I'm using Firefox 77.0.1 and I just control-p (alt-f ->
Print). AFAIK I don't have any add-ons/extensions that enable this
and I've been doing this for years, maybe decades.
Not for printing onto paper; Flop and I are talking about creating a
PDF file, no paper involved.
I don't have a printer. The only opton under 'printer' is 'print to
file'. Click on this and I can choose which pdf-file is created.
Firefox have obviously added "print to [PDF] file" at some point. (It's
not there in my old Firefox.)

If Office (more recent than 2003) is installed on the machine - even if
you've never used it - Microsoft "print" to PDF will be present as a
"printer" - not just from Office applications, but from anything that is
able to print (which is almost anything other than audio and video
players, probably even some of those).

If vegetarians eat vegetables,..beware of humanitarians!