OT: Interference from Norton
Mike Ruddock
2020-09-04 14:05:45 UTC
I am suffering from interference from Norton which is putting fake
stories on my screen (one is about Prince Harry having "lost
everything") and when I click to close them they immediately come back.
The intention is evidently to get me to buy a Norton subscription (the
term they use implies that I have used them before, but I am pretty sure
I never have). Were it in my power I would tell them that these tactics
would inspire me never ever to use them.
The interference ceases after a couple of minuted but is boodly
irritating while it is going on.

Is there any way I can stop it occurring?

Is there any way I can tell Norton what I think of them?

Mike Ruddock
Peter
2020-09-04 14:20:51 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I am suffering from interference from Norton which is putting fake
stories on my screen (one is about Prince Harry having "lost
everything") and when I click to close them they immediately come back.
The intention is evidently to get me to buy a Norton subscription (the
term they use implies that I have used them before, but I am pretty sure
I never have). Were it in my power I would tell them that these tactics
would inspire me never ever to use them.
The interference ceases after a couple of minuted but is boodly
irritating while it is going on.
Is there any way I can stop it occurring?
Remove it. Something here may help:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=IUxSX6OvMc6IabDBkLAH&q=removing+norton+from+pc&oq=removing+norton+from+pc&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeOg4IABDqAhC0AhCaARDlAjoICAAQsQMQgwE6AgguOgsILhCxAxDHARCjAjoICC4QsQMQgwE6BQgAELEDOgIIADoFCAAQkgM6BQguELEDOgQIABADUIgSWO5nYIJraAFwAHgAgAGMAYgB3AqSAQQyMi4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdperABBg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjjw7uR2M_rAhVORBoKHbAgBHYQ4dUDCAg&uact=5

Don't be surprised if using Norton's tool leaves stuff on your computer,
so it might be best to follow, e.g.,

http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallnorton.shtml.
Mike Ruddock
Mike Ruddock
2020-09-04 16:50:49 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Is there any way I can tell Norton what I think of them?
Mike Ruddock
Thanks for the advice . . . the only trouble is that I don't have Norton
or Symantec on my list of installed programs.

Mike Ruddock
BrritSki
2020-09-04 17:06:34 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
Is there any way I can tell Norton what I think of them?
Mike Ruddock
Thanks for the advice . . . the only trouble is that I don't have Norton
or Symantec on my list of installed programs.
Is the popup you are seeing this one below ? If so, read down and click
on stay protected but then don;t install the extension on your browser.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/popup-wont-stop-showing
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-09-05 00:59:13 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Peter
Don't be surprised if using Norton's tool leaves stuff on your
computer, so it might be best to follow, e.g.,
http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallnorton.shtml.
Some things, an effective way to uninstall them - especially if you (or
someone else) has tried in the past, so there's no obvious "uninstall"
to run - is to (re-)install them, and then _carefully_ go through the
installation process. However, it goes against the grain to install
something you don't want - especially as this route may not work. (I
haven't looked at the pchell article.)

Some manufacturers - especially anti-malware ones, since their products
have to protect against attacks more than others - themselves provide a
"removal tool" on their website - though usually don't make it that easy
to find. I don't know if Norton is one such: I think they may well be.
Post by BrritSki
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Peter
Post by Mike Ruddock
Is there any way I can tell Norton what I think of them?
Not that will have any effect. (Said without looking!)
Post by BrritSki
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Peter
Post by Mike Ruddock
Mike Ruddock
Thanks for the advice . . . the only trouble is that I don't have
Norton or Symantec on my list of installed programs.
Is the popup you are seeing this one below ? If so, read down and
click on stay protected but then don;t install the extension on your
browser.
https://community.norton.com/en/forums/popup-wont-stop-showing
Does it/they only appear when you're online? (Though you're probably
online all the time these days; most of us are.)

Whoever decided to limit tagline length to 68 characters can kiss my
Flop
2020-09-04 14:37:36 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I am suffering from interference from Norton which is putting fake
stories on my screen (one is about Prince Harry having "lost
everything") and when I click to close them they immediately come back.
The intention is evidently to get me to buy a Norton subscription (the
term they use implies that I have used them before, but I am pretty sure
I never have). Were it in my power I would tell them that these tactics
would inspire me never ever to use them.
The interference ceases after a couple of minuted but is boodly
irritating while it is going on.
Is there any way I can stop it occurring?
Is there any way I can tell Norton what I think of them?
Mike Ruddock
The great thing about AV/Spam programs is that they can filter out any
negative messages (eg to forums) as spam. [Hear no evil....].

But the answer to your questions is No and No.

Norton is effective (granted) but it has a lot of negatives.

Unfortunately reviews do not help much as they are often biased. (Not
unknown for such products to have their own alter websites eg
AVindependentreviews.com.

I cannot recommend any particular program as I only use one and they
change/leapfrog with each new version.

Avast has not upset me too much - others may(will) differ.
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience