From the BTM
2020-03-21 06:35:54 UTC
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.

So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).

Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
2020-03-21 08:05:06 UTC
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
Hope you are okay Sid, and not among the afflicted.
2020-03-21 09:39:28 UTC
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
Hope you are okay Sid, and not among the afflicted.
Not yet. Just having a tougher time than usual, like everyone else.
The trouble is that my nose wasn't all that far above water in the first
place. :o)

I am reading Sebastian Barry's A Thousand Moons[1] and came across this
passage over breakfast; it seemed apposite at the moment:

"When a flood goes through a farm there’s so many trees down and then
the crops themselves if they are up are pressed down too. [...] So maybe
in the aftertime of that flood and after you have dried out your clothes
you will see that you will not eat next year just as good as you did
this year. But what is plain as your face is that you have to meet the
great force of the flood, or the tornado, or the great storm, with an
equal great force. To build up what has been torn down and to put back
in their places what has been rended from their places and parted from
their hooks."

I liked that.

[1]I've only read about 20% (60 pages or so) but it's excellent so far.
2020-03-21 11:23:20 UTC
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 09:39:28 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
Hope you are okay Sid, and not among the afflicted.
Not yet. Just having a tougher time than usual, like everyone else.
The trouble is that my nose wasn't all that far above water in the first
place. :o)
I am reading Sebastian Barry's A Thousand Moons[1] a
I'm reading Hav, and the updated extra, by Jan Morris. I had read some
of her travel stuff years ago in the Observer and the account of her
journey of herself and like her style very much. Anoehrrat, think it
might be laura, said how good Hav is and it really is.

It is a bit Pratchett and sort of Simcity and a very beautifully
written travel account and a delightful place to spend some time in
the current situation. Highly recommended. I am nearly half way
through. It has things that remind me of other places, but such a
wonderful variety of them.
Chris McMillan
2020-03-22 09:32:26 UTC
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
Hope you are okay Sid, and not among the afflicted.
Take it slowly Sid. Hope you and Matron feel more energised soon.

2020-03-21 09:01:27 UTC
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
I’m sure all Umrats hope the situation improves for you and Matron very
soon Sid.
2020-03-21 09:16:56 UTC
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 06:35:54 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
Take care, Sid. When every day life gets more awkward and takes more
energy just to organise the basics you have to concentrate on them. We
are having a little of that too.
Mike
2020-03-21 11:03:54 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
Take care, Sid. When every day life gets more awkward and takes more
energy just to organise the basics you have to concentrate on them. We
are having a little of that too.
That reminds me of the song lyric:
‘When it takes all night to do what we used to do all night.’
KYPU
2020-03-21 11:40:32 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
Take care, Sid. When every day life gets more awkward and takes more
energy just to organise the basics you have to concentrate on them. We
are having a little of that too.
far-from-languid wave.
2020-03-21 18:32:36 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
Take care, Sid. When every day life gets more awkward and takes more
energy just to organise the basics you have to concentrate on them. We
are having a little of that too.
far-from-languid wave.
Same here in duplicate from the deep south.

2020-03-22 08:40:04 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed
and reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly,
I'm knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I
shall continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that
umrats only nominate what they need and there is no panic
nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
Take care, Sid. When every day life gets more awkward and takes more
energy just to organise the basics you have to concentrate on them. We
are having a little of that too.
far-from-languid wave.
Same here in duplicate from the deep south.
And from me. Concentrate on what's important Sid. Anything else can wait.
steve hague
2020-03-21 09:50:53 UTC
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment.  Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered.  An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
So long as you're not stockpiling BTNs.
2020-03-21 11:21:10 UTC
Post by steve hague
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment.  Keeping wofe and me fed
and reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly,
I'm knackered.  An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
So long as you're not stockpiling BTNs.
Certainly not. I wouldn't dream of doing anything so antisocial. I
have merely taken sensible precautions so that if this situation goes on
for, say, seven or eight years, I can be sure that I will have what I
need. It's the action of a prudent, caring, community-minded person,
and I have no time at all for those selfish morons who buy far too much
so that there's nothing left for those who really need it.

(Put another way, it's one of those irregular verbs:
I take sensible precautions
You stockpile
He/She is an anti-social, panic-buying idiot.)
Quite so. Stay well Sid...
Chris McMillan

2020-03-23 02:04:53 UTC
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 at 09:32:27, Chris McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
I take sensible precautions
You stockpile
He/She is an anti-social, panic-buying idiot.)
A "covidiot", as I've seen suggested as a new word.
Post by Chris McMillan
LOL
Sincerely Chris
There's actually a well-reasoned thread out there saying that it's _not_
necessarily panic-buying idiots: the food supply system is finely tuned,
just in time, based on known demand at times of year ("the store room is
the lorry trailer") - so that even just normal people just buying 5-10%
more than normal, plus a few deciding to lay in for 7-14 days _as
they've more or less been told to expect_, plus those now eating at home
rather than school/work/out, will disrupt the supply chain until it
recovers. The reported billion extra of food bought actually translates
to not that much extra per shop.

Of course, the chap who posted the thread has been jumped on roundly -
because people feel uneasy realizing that they all might be part of the
problem, rather than being able to blame just a few irresponsible
idiots.

(And no, it isn't denying that the idiots exist.)

"Bother," said the Borg, "we assimilated a Pooh."
Jenny M Benson
2020-03-23 09:51:14 UTC
There's actually a well-reasoned thread out there saying that it's _not_
necessarily panic-buying idiots: the food supply system is finely tuned,
just in time, based on known demand at times of year ("the store room is
the lorry trailer") - so that even just normal people just buying 5-10%
more than normal, plus a few deciding to lay in for 7-14 days _as
they've more or less been told to expect_, plus those now eating at home
rather than school/work/out, will disrupt the supply chain until it
recovers.
Well, I hope it recovers soon because it's beginning to look like a VERY
good thing that I am on the 5:2 diet and eating a lot less than might
otherwise be the case:

1 My freezer was already very run down as I was planning to empty and
de-frost it.
2 My Asda order, coming to-night, will contain very little that might
be described as "real food" - no ready meals, no baked beans, no
macaroni cheese, no ravioli, no eggs...
3 Wiltshire failed to turn up on Friday and there has been no
communication from them since acknowledgment of my order.
4 There are no delivery slots at any of the supers for as long as they
show dates on their respective websites.

Sylph-like body - here I come!
Wrexham, UK
Jenny M Benson
2020-03-23 10:28:01 UTC
Sylph-like body - here I come!
Or perhaps not - Wiltshire just delivered. God bless them!
Wrexham, UK
Serena Blanchflower
2020-03-23 12:27:55 UTC
Sylph-like body - here I come!
Or perhaps not - Wiltshire just delivered.  God bless them!
Phew!
Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart. (Erma Bombeck)
Jenny M Benson
2020-03-23 14:58:25 UTC
Sylph-like body - here I come!
Or perhaps not - Wiltshire just delivered.  God bless them!
Phew!
I take it all back! Iceland let me register as an Oldie and offered
delivery to-morrow. Couldn't get everything I would have liked, but
certainly enough to keep me going for a while.

Bad news is that the satellite vet's surgery which I use is now closed
and I will need (1) to go to the main one which is very difficult for me
to get to. No one promised an easy life, though!

(1) And I will need medication for Feisty, even if I could have got
cat/dog food elsewhere.
Wrexham, UK
Chris McMillan
2020-03-23 16:07:58 UTC
Sylph-like body - here I come!
Or perhaps not - Wiltshire just delivered.  God bless them!
Phew!
I take it all back! Iceland let me register as an Oldie and offered
delivery to-morrow. Couldn't get everything I would have liked, but
certainly enough to keep me going for a while.
Bad news is that the satellite vet's surgery which I use is now closed
and I will need (1) to go to the main one which is very difficult for me
to get to. No one promised an easy life, though!
(1) And I will need medication for Feisty, even if I could have got
cat/dog food elsewhere.
Who would not be *feisty* without it.

2020-03-23 16:31:05 UTC
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 14:58:25 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
Sylph-like body - here I come!
Or perhaps not - Wiltshire just delivered.  God bless them!
Phew!
I take it all back! Iceland let me register as an Oldie and offered
delivery to-morrow. Couldn't get everything I would have liked, but
certainly enough to keep me going for a while.
Bad news is that the satellite vet's surgery which I use is now closed
and I will need (1) to go to the main one which is very difficult for me
to get to. No one promised an easy life, though!
(1) And I will need medication for Feisty, even if I could have got
cat/dog food elsewhere.
Have you tried phoning them? Is there a chance someone there lives near you
and could deliver or post it to you?
2020-03-23 19:40:58 UTC
Bad news is that the satellite vet's surgery which I use is now closed
and I will need (1) to go to the main one which is very difficult for me
to get to. No one promised an easy life, though!
(1) And I will need medication for Feisty, even if I could have got
cat/dog food elsewhere.
Have you tried phoning them? Is there a chance someone there lives near you
and could deliver or post it to you?
I think I will prolly be able to call on one of the volunteers from
Friends of Ruabon to collect for me. I hate having to ask for favours,
but needs must when the devil drives.
Wrexham, UK
Mike
2020-03-24 08:57:05 UTC
Bad news is that the satellite vet's surgery which I use is now closed
and I will need (1) to go to the main one which is very difficult for me
to get to. No one promised an easy life, though!
(1) And I will need medication for Feisty, even if I could have got
cat/dog food elsewhere.
Have you tried phoning them? Is there a chance someone there lives near you
and could deliver or post it to you?
I think I will prolly be able to call on one of the volunteers from
Friends of Ruabon to collect for me. I hate having to ask for favours,
but needs must when the devil drives.
Haven’t even seen the devil driving an Iceland delivery van round here -
and they are all ‘fully booked’ still.
2020-03-23 22:32:30 UTC
There's actually a well-reasoned thread out there saying that it's _not_
necessarily panic-buying idiots: the food supply system is finely tuned,
just in time, based on known demand at times of year ("the store room is
the lorry trailer") - so that even just normal people just buying 5-10%
more than normal, plus a few deciding to lay in for 7-14 days _as
they've more or less been told to expect_, plus those now eating at home
rather than school/work/out, will disrupt the supply chain until it
recovers. The reported billion extra of food bought actually translates
to not that much extra per shop.
That's quire true as for as it goes, but it ignores the snowball effect.

Once people notice that stock of "X" is running low, they tend to grab
what's left since they worry that it won't be available later.
2020-03-23 23:28:39 UTC
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 22:32:30 +0000, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
There's actually a well-reasoned thread out there saying that it's _not_
necessarily panic-buying idiots: the food supply system is finely tuned,
just in time, based on known demand at times of year ("the store room is
the lorry trailer") - so that even just normal people just buying 5-10%
more than normal, plus a few deciding to lay in for 7-14 days _as
they've more or less been told to expect_, plus those now eating at home
rather than school/work/out, will disrupt the supply chain until it
recovers. The reported billion extra of food bought actually translates
to not that much extra per shop.
That's quire true as for as it goes, but it ignores the snowball effect.
Once people notice that stock of "X" is running low, they tend to grab
what's left since they worry that it won't be available later.
Yes indeed, that is true 'panic' buying and is definitely contagious.
2020-03-24 16:09:48 UTC
the dust...
[...]
Indeed - and I admit to being infected by _that_.

(So far, no CV19; of course, every time I cough, I wonder ...
... oh, and I fell victim to one of the misinformations: being able to
hold your breath [for 10 seconds of whatever] apparently is _not_ a way
of knowing you haven't got it yet. The only ones they're sure of is a
temperature [some call that a fever, but fever means more than that to
me] and a persistent cough you didn't have before.)

The best way to achieve immortality is by not dying.
Chris McMillan
2020-03-24 16:35:21 UTC
There's actually a well-reasoned thread out there saying that it's _not_
necessarily panic-buying idiots: the food supply system is finely tuned,
just in time, based on known demand at times of year ("the store room is
the lorry trailer") - so that even just normal people just buying 5-10%
more than normal, plus a few deciding to lay in for 7-14 days _as
they've more or less been told to expect_, plus those now eating at home
rather than school/work/out, will disrupt the supply chain until it
recovers. The reported billion extra of food bought actually translates
to not that much extra per shop.
That's quire true as for as it goes, but it ignores the snowball effect.
Once people notice that stock of "X" is running low, they tend to grab
what's left since they worry that it won't be available later.
A neighbour takes her toddler for walks at nap time. The Co-op nearest us,
had lots of cars and empty shelves. An M & S up close to the A4 with a
garage had no cars and fully stocked shelves.

We’re told a local catering veg wholesaler will be selling veg boxes from
tomorrow. It’d better be good to at £20 a box too. And a lot more than 5kg
(Lidl’s 5kg for £1.50).

2020-03-21 10:22:24 UTC
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment.  Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered.  An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
Take care of yourself (and of wofe) and I hope you manage to keep your
heads above water OK.
I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells (Dr. Seuss)
John Ashby
2020-03-21 12:31:25 UTC
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment.  Keeping wofe and me fed
and reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly,
I'm knackered.  An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
Take care of yourself (and of wofe) and I hope you manage to keep your
heads above water OK.
+1 and remember, this too shall pass.

2020-03-21 21:29:04 UTC
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment.  Keeping wofe and me fed
and reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly,
I'm knackered.  An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
Take care of yourself (and of wofe) and I hope you manage to keep your
heads above water OK.
Yes. My advice would be to grip the bath-plug chain between your toes
and give it a yank.

(Other nationalities are available)
Min
2020-03-22 03:52:57 UTC
I'm not keeping up with umra at the moment. Keeping wofe and me fed and
reasonably clean is about all I'm managing just now and, frankly, I'm
knackered. An occasional dip into umra is all I can do.
So, if there are pending BTNs, please let me know by email and I shall
continue my duties as BTM that way (provided, of course, that umrats
only nominate what they need and there is no panic nominating).
Hopefully I'll get back on top of things before too long.
Not enough spoons. All too easy to understand. Look after yourself and
wofe. Stay safe!
--
Min