OT: Fiftieth anniversary of seminal album by prolific Canadian singer-songwriter
Rosalind Mitchell
2021-06-24 22:27:42 UTC
No, not that one. If I hear 'Carey' or 'The Last Time I Saw Richard' on
R4 again I shall scream.

Why aren't we getting the same wall-to-wall coverage of Leonard Cohen's
stygian dark, deeply personal and quite magnificent Songs of Love and
Hate? You know, the one where Lenny is actually laughing on the cover?

steve hague
2021-06-25 06:59:57 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
No, not that one. If I hear 'Carey' or 'The Last Time I Saw Richard' on
R4 again I shall scream.
Why aren't we getting the same wall-to-wall coverage of Leonard Cohen's
stygian dark, deeply personal and quite magnificent Songs of Love and
Hate? You know, the one where Lenny is actually laughing on the cover?
I can never listen to 'The Circle Game' again, but not because of over
exposure. I still think she wrote some great songs early on, but ran out
of ideas in her mid thirties, which didn't stop her from making many
more albums.
Steve
Rosalind Mitchell
2021-06-25 12:14:20 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
No, not that one. If I hear 'Carey' or 'The Last Time I Saw Richard'
on R4 again I shall scream.
Why aren't we getting the same wall-to-wall coverage of Leonard
Cohen's stygian dark, deeply personal and quite magnificent Songs of
Love and Hate? You know, the one where Lenny is actually laughing on
the cover?
I can never listen to 'The Circle Game' again, but not because of over
exposure. I still think she wrote some great songs early on, but ran out
of ideas in her mid thirties, which didn't stop her from making many
more albums.
The Circle Game is from Ladies of the Canyon a couple of years earlier,
along with Woodstock and Big Yellow Taxi. The one that is being flogged
to death on R4 lately is Blue. Blue is where I left off with Joni
Mitchell albums so I'm not much aware of what she did afterwards.

Lennie died nearly five years ago now but Joni is still alive and I
believe not at all well. Maybe that's behind all the attention.

steve hague
2021-06-25 16:07:55 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by steve hague
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
We persevered as far as Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm, more out of hope
than expectation.
Sid Nuncius
2021-06-25 16:48:48 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by steve hague
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
She began to lose me when she went all jazzy in the late 70s. I do like
Night Ride Home and Turbulent Indigo, though.

As to the attention, I think Blue is a remarkable album and worthy of a
good deal of fuss; it would be a contender for my choice of Greatest
Album Ever (as if such a single choice were feasible across so many
genres etc). I agree that Songs Of Love And Hate is a fine album, but
for me it's just that, while Blue is a towering masterpiece. YMMV, of
course. Luckily I have avoided the repetitious playing of a few tracks
on R4.

(FWIW, when Blue came out I was very unimpressed. I was 17 and a huge
fan of her first three albums but I found Blue too different and strange
- and it had represented a fairly significant investment for me at the
time. It grew on me as I grew up in the next two or three years. The
folly of youth, eh?)
--
Sid
2021-06-25 17:18:49 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by steve hague
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Blue is the album I keep going back to = one of my all-time faves.
SoL&H is great, but not better than Blue.