Ask EU: no-claims discount
Derek Turner
2020-06-09 14:36:22 UTC
So, later this year SWMBO will retire and have to insure her own car for
the first time in 13 years. Having had a fleet car provided by her
employers, how does she go about establishing her no-claims discount.
Has anyone else had to do something similar?
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-09 17:14:21 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
So, later this year SWMBO will retire and have to insure her own car
for the first time in 13 years. Having had a fleet car provided by her
employers, how does she go about establishing her no-claims discount.
Has anyone else had to do something similar?
Otherrats will probably know, but almost certainly worth asking the HR
department - and/or, whichever other department handles the car
provision - at her employers. I would imagine it's a common question.

Security is the perfect excuse to lock you out of your own computer.
- Mayayana in alt.windows7.general, 2015-12-4
Min
2020-06-10 02:31:31 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
So, later this year SWMBO will retire and have to insure her own car for
the first time in 13 years. Having had a fleet car provided by her
employers, how does she go about establishing her no-claims discount.
Has anyone else had to do something similar?
I hope JPG's advice below is correct, but I wish I'd seen this 13 years
ago (IYSWIM). After many years of being a motorcyclist, I passed my car
test very shortly before I got engaged to a Driving Examiner. Naturally,
he put me on his Insurance. When we parted a considerable number of years
later, the payments were Horrendous. If she has problems, I suggest
comparison sites and credit reference companies (weirdly) may be the way
to go.
Min
Flop
2020-06-10 09:03:34 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Derek Turner
So, later this year SWMBO will retire and have to insure her own car for
the first time in 13 years. Having had a fleet car provided by her
employers, how does she go about establishing her no-claims discount.
Has anyone else had to do something similar?
I hope JPG's advice below is correct, but I wish I'd seen this 13 years
ago (IYSWIM). After many years of being a motorcyclist, I passed my car
test very shortly before I got engaged to a Driving Examiner. Naturally,
he put me on his Insurance. When we parted a considerable number of years
later, the payments were Horrendous. If she has problems, I suggest
comparison sites and credit reference companies (weirdly) may be the way
to go.
Another option is an insurance broker. They cater for non-standard
applications and will 'auction' your application to insurers who they
think will give you the best deal.

You may have to choose between a lower premium and a NCD element.

An added bonus is that a broker will often act for you in the event of
an accident.
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
Penny
2020-06-10 09:24:41 UTC
On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 19:31:31 -0700 (PDT), Min <***@googlemail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Min
Post by Derek Turner
So, later this year SWMBO will retire and have to insure her own car for
the first time in 13 years. Having had a fleet car provided by her
employers, how does she go about establishing her no-claims discount.
Has anyone else had to do something similar?
I hope JPG's advice below is correct, but I wish I'd seen this 13 years
ago (IYSWIM). After many years of being a motorcyclist, I passed my car
test very shortly before I got engaged to a Driving Examiner. Naturally,
he put me on his Insurance. When we parted a considerable number of years
later, the payments were Horrendous. If she has problems, I suggest
comparison sites and credit reference companies (weirdly) may be the way
to go.
I'm surprised to hear that, Min. I've always had NCD on my own account but
I'm sure I've heard of people in that situation being granted their own NCD
simply by talking to the insurance company who has covered them as a named
driver for x years.
Min
2020-06-10 23:47:46 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Derek Turner
[...]
Possibly it's different when your previous NCD had been earned on motorbikes
and one has now got 4 wheels...neither the car nor the m/c insurer was
interested.
Min
Penny
2020-06-11 08:19:31 UTC
On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 16:47:46 -0700 (PDT), Min <***@googlemail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Min
Post by Min
Post by Derek Turner
[...]
Mine were on m/c too but it was a long time ago.
Curiously, D#2, after taking out 10 month motorbike policies for 3-4 years,
ended up with more years NCD than she had actually been driving!
2020-06-11 09:34:45 UTC
Post by Min
Possibly it's different when your previous NCD had been earned on motorbikes
and one has now got 4 wheels...neither the car nor the m/c insurer was
interested.
Mine were on m/c too but it was a long time ago.
Curiously, D#2, after taking out 10 month motorbike policies for 3-4 years,
ended up with more years NCD than she had actually been driving!
Not insurance but to swerve, grandson's 14th birthday in a couple of
weeks. Mum wants us to club together to get him a bike. I said surely
cheap one as then nobody will mug him for it or anyway steal it. She
wants one light enough to be easy to ride. And second-hand but not at
all cheap.

He had a couple when younger and never really rode, and I am not sure
is steady on it. I never was and his mum not either, although second
daughter is fine, rides to work quite a lot. Grandson's 5 year old
sister also has a bike, which surprised me, as she is like her mum and
me, and when I asked if she can ride mum sent me a small video of her
riding it, a bit wobbly but riding.

Other small grandson, age 3 , has in the last months begun to ride his
2 wheeler well, taking after mum and dad.

I am worried though as older daughter wants grandson to have the bike
so as to have some freedom, i.e. ride on the roads in traffic. They
don't do the cycling proficiency test now, do they? Daughter never did
and failed her driving test 4 times too, never becoming a driver.
Second daughter passed age 17 and drives confidently. What is there
out there for children now to learn to use the road safely? I have
asked what he will be doing to learn but daughter ignores half my
emails :)
Jenny M Benson
2020-06-11 09:40:03 UTC
https://bikeability.org.uk/
Wrexham, UK
Vicky Ayech
2020-06-11 12:51:44 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 10:40:03 +0100, Jenny M Benson
I am worried though as older daughter wants grandson to have the bike
so as to have some freedom, i.e. ride on the roads in traffic. They
don't do the cycling proficiency test now, do they? Daughter never did
and failed her driving test 4 times too, never becoming a driver.
Second daughter passed age 17 and drives confidently. What is there
out there for children now to learn to use the road safely?
https://bikeability.org.uk/
Thank you, Jenny. I suppose I should have searched but that is exactly
what is required and I think all three grandchildren could do level
one :). I have a feeling the 3 year old is better than the 5 year
old and might be level with the 14 year old.
Flop
2020-06-11 14:56:33 UTC
On 11/06/2020 10:34, Vicky Ayech wrote:

Grandson's 5 year old
Post by Vicky Ayech
sister also has a bike, which surprised me, as she is like her mum and
me, and when I asked if she can ride mum sent me a small video of her
riding it, a bit wobbly but riding.
Similar situation with gd. Brother not enthusiastic. She was different.
At 4 years old she told me that I could come and watch her on the bike.
Neither of the parents warned me.

She set off on the path outside the house and went up the hill. Turned
round and came back down, accelerating rapidly.

" Brake now!"

"Stop"

"Brake"

"No. This is fun"

Bang.

So I went to pick her up but she was on her feet already.

"Let me look at your knees"

"There are lots of scratches. We will go back and get them cleaned"

She looks at her knees.

"It's alright. They are yesterdays"

Paul Herber
2020-06-11 15:27:40 UTC
Grandson's 5 year old
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
She is auditioning for the part of the Black Night in the next remake of Monty Python's
Holy Grail.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Paul Herber
2020-06-11 19:31:28 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Vicky Ayech
Grandson's 5 year old
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Night -> Knight
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Flop
2020-06-11 19:35:31 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Vicky Ayech
Grandson's 5 year old
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
If you knew her you would be right the first time.

Paul Herber
2020-06-11 21:01:03 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Vicky Ayech
Grandson's 5 year old
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Goth?
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Chris J Dixon
2020-06-11 08:16:22 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
So, later this year SWMBO will retire and have to insure her own car for
the first time in 13 years. Having had a fleet car provided by her
employers, how does she go about establishing her no-claims discount.
Has anyone else had to do something similar?
No experience, but these days there are a number of options
involving monitoring devices in the car. I guess they were
intended to curb the "enthusiasm" of young drivers, but may be
helpful to reduce costs.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1