Weird plant in Endeavour
2021-09-25 11:40:27 UTC
I watched the most recent episode of Endeavour yesterday. The opening scene
showed a house with a balcony along the front which had a very odd vine
growing along it and climbing up the wall behind. At first glance it was a
wisteria in full bloom - except the blossom was unfeasibly large and blousy
and the leaves looked more like a grape vine.

I suspect it was filmed in spring and they had 'dressed up' an actual
wisteria to make it look more like high summer (in which case I pity the
actors, as they were required to be nude in the sunny garden). If they were
going to use fake flowers, they might have used the right fake leaves too -
I found the mix they ended up with very distracting.
2021-09-25 14:43:44 UTC
I watched the most recent episode of Endeavour yesterday. The opening scene
showed a house with a balcony along the front which had a very odd vine
growing along it and climbing up the wall behind. At first glance it was a
wisteria in full bloom - except the blossom was unfeasibly large and blousy
and the leaves looked more like a grape vine.
I suspect it was filmed in spring and they had 'dressed up' an actual
wisteria to make it look more like high summer (in which case I pity the
actors, as they were required to be nude in the sunny garden). If they were
going to use fake flowers, they might have used the right fake leaves too -
I found the mix they ended up with very distracting.
I think it may have been supposed to be fake. The guests were given
garlands of paper flowers when they arrived, and I think we saw the mad
gardener tying the 'wisteria' to the balcony in a sinister fashion, and
it looked jolly fake to me. The whole premise of a nudist hotel near
Oxford seemed very peculiar to me and not at all relevant to the plot,
such as it was. (I feel a bit personally concerned in this series since
it coincides with my first year at Oxford and I don't recognise much as
all, not even the clothes). I am fully expecting to see Endeavour's
next case take place in an aquarium. With sharks. For the jumping over of.
Peter
2021-09-25 17:05:36 UTC
[...]
I'm quite happy to watch Grantchester, Midsomer Murders or Father Brown
Apparently he was based on John O'Connor.
but
I like there to be obvious differences between them.
--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg
Mike McMillan
2021-09-25 21:04:29 UTC
Post by Peter
[...]
I'm quite happy to watch Grantchester, Midsomer Murders or Father Brown
Apparently he was based on John O'Connor.
but
I like there to be obvious differences between them.
Just watched that epi with audio description switched on, the voice
described it as a man hanging lights on the wisteria.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Penny
2021-09-25 22:25:26 UTC
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 21:04:29 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Peter
[...]
I'm quite happy to watch Grantchester, Midsomer Murders or Father Brown
Apparently he was based on John O'Connor.
but
I like there to be obvious differences between them.
Just watched that epi with audio description switched on, the voice
described it as a man hanging lights on the wisteria.
Thanks, hanging lights was what I thought he was doing (but had forgotten),
when I got distracted by the fake flowers and vine leaves.
2021-09-25 22:41:23 UTC
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 23:25:26 +0100, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 21:04:29 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Peter
[...]
I'm quite happy to watch Grantchester, Midsomer Murders or Father Brown
Apparently he was based on John O'Connor.
but
I like there to be obvious differences between them.
Just watched that epi with audio description switched on, the voice
described it as a man hanging lights on the wisteria.
Thanks, hanging lights was what I thought he was doing (but had forgotten),
when I got distracted by the fake flowers and vine leaves.
I think I just spotted the fake wisteria with strangely shaped leaves in
the closing scene of Grantchester - they must have bought a job lot.
2021-09-26 08:06:20 UTC
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 21:04:29 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Peter
[...]
I'm quite happy to watch Grantchester, Midsomer Murders or Father Brown
Apparently he was based on John O'Connor.
but
I like there to be obvious differences between them.
Just watched that epi with audio description switched on, the voice
described it as a man hanging lights on the wisteria.
Thanks, hanging lights was what I thought he was doing (but had forgotten),
when I got distracted by the fake flowers and vine leaves.
I think I just spotted the fake wisteria with strangely shaped leaves in
the closing scene of Grantchester - they must have bought a job lot.
Or they have been feeding them well! ;-)))
--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan