So, farewell then...
2018-10-26 06:55:37 UTC
...Tony Joe White.

Er...I can't actually think of anything E.J. Thribb-ish to say. I loved
TJW's music, he wrote and performed some truly great songs and had just
released a very fine album of blues covers. I'm really sorry he's dead.

Go well, TJW, and thanks.
2018-10-26 18:20:46 UTC
...Tony Joe White.
Er...I can't actually think of anything E.J. Thribb-ish to say.  I loved
TJW's music, he wrote and performed some truly great songs and had just
released a very fine album of blues covers.  I'm really sorry he's dead.
Go well, TJW, and thanks.
Looks like it's just me, then, but I post this from his 2013 album
Hoodoo as a tribute, just in case anyrat is interested. I'm a complete
sucker for those cool, laid-back vocals, the infectious backing and that
magical touch on the guitar. YMMV.

2018-10-26 23:01:36 UTC
...Tony Joe White.
Er...I can't actually think of anything E.J. Thribb-ish to say.  I
loved TJW's music, he wrote and performed some truly great songs and
had just released a very fine album of blues covers.  I'm really sorry
he's dead.
Go well, TJW, and thanks.
Looks like it's just me, then, but I post this from his 2013 album
Hoodoo as a tribute, just in case anyrat is interested.  I'm a complete
sucker for those cool, laid-back vocals, the infectious backing and that
magical touch on the guitar.  YMMV.
http://youtu.be/yDh2QcwK-6I
I knew the name but hadn't really connected it with anything - let alone
those two stand-out songs that other people made hugely famous. The
James Burton/Elvis Presley Polk Salad Annie is really good but when I
sat down and listened to TJW sing his own song on his own guitar (as
I've just been doing on YouTube) - well it's something else, isn't it?

I wish I'd discovered that earlier :(

2018-10-27 06:00:43 UTC
[...]
Yep. It's strange that he's so little known, considering what he wrote
(especially Rainy Night In Georgia, which is considered a standard now)
and his solid output over the years. Where will I get my fix of Deep
Southern Cool now that both he and JJ Cale are gone?[1]

[1]Well, from their albums as I always have, obviously. But you know
what I mean.
2018-10-27 07:49:06 UTC
[...]
I'd never heard the name, but I recognise the music, especially United
We Stand that was on R4 last night.

Excellent programme on BBC4 last night with Cerys Matthews and Val
Wilmer (who I'd also never heard of but was wonderful), catch it if you
didn't watch live.

Also a very interesting prog on Thursday night about the 100 days that
won WW1.