Music on the way to Rehab
2021-07-07 18:07:26 UTC
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
set me thinking:
Suggestions please…

Little Old Wine Drinker Me.

Champaign Charlie is my name.

The Drinking Song.

Over to you Umrats…
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
steve hague
Whiskey in the Jar.
Vicky Ayech
2021-07-07 20:23:00 UTC
On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 19:15:16 +0100, steve hague
Post by steve hague
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
Over to you Umrats…
Whiskey in the Jar.
Bottle of Wine (Tom Paxton)
to life to life l'chaim (Fiddler on the roof)
whiskey river Willie Nelson
Sid Nuncius
2021-07-08 06:15:07 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
Over to you Umrats…
Whiskey in the Jar.
Bottle of Wine (Tom Paxton)
to life to life l'chaim (Fiddler on the roof)
whiskey river Willie Nelson
Careless by Richard Shindell

Not funny, and probably not everyone's cup of vodka, but quite
brilliant, IMO, including the outstanding lyric
Drink brought out the worst in me
But the worst in me was me nevertheless...

I owe Nick Odell a great debt for introducing me to Mr Shindell's work.
--
Sid
2021-07-08 07:00:38 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
Over to you Umrats…
Whiskey in the Jar.
Bottle of Wine (Tom Paxton)
to life to life l'chaim (Fiddler on the roof)
whiskey river Willie Nelson
Careless by Richard Shindell
http://youtu.be/v8r9qnGWlYU
A Case of You - Joni Mitchell

Left Over Wine - Melanie

Red Red Wine

Lilac Wine - Elkie Brooks

Whisky on a Sunday - Max Boyce

Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk

Down Where the Drunkards Roll - Richard & Linda Thompson

God Loves a Drunk - Richard Thompson

Three Drunken Maidens

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-07-08 20:56:21 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
Over to you Umrats…
Whiskey in the Jar.
Bottle of Wine (Tom Paxton)
to life to life l'chaim (Fiddler on the roof)
whiskey river Willie Nelson
Careless by Richard Shindell
http://youtu.be/v8r9qnGWlYU
A Case of You - Joni Mitchell
Left Over Wine - Melanie
Red Red Wine
Lilac Wine - Elkie Brooks
Whisky on a Sunday - Max Boyce
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk
Down Where the Drunkards Roll - Richard & Linda Thompson
God Loves a Drunk - Richard Thompson
Three Drunken Maidens
(If this has been mentioned, I've missed it.)

The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me) - Tom Waits
2021-07-08 21:47:32 UTC
Careless by Richard Shindell
http://youtu.be/v8r9qnGWlYU
Not funny, and probably not everyone's cup of vodka, but quite
brilliant, IMO, including the outstanding lyric
Drink brought out the worst in me
But the worst in me was me nevertheless...
I owe Nick Odell a great debt for introducing me to Mr Shindell's work.
Good gracious! You are so welcome, Sid.

Richard Shindell seems to be in a rather strange place these days. His
interview on the Mary Gauthier Show

appears to tell only part of his story. Though I only found the rest
of it by trawling through the interweb like a stalker[1] I still love
his music, though. Your Guitar makes me cry every time.

Nick
[1]Well, yes, I suppose I was stalking him. It is an irony that I love
his music but I have never been able to see him perform live. The
ironic part is that he lives in Buenos Aires and works everywhere else
but Buenos Aires and when I (used to, pre-Covid) shuttle back and
forth to BsAs, it was inevitably was when he was shuttling forth and
back. Most poignant was when he was performing at a club just eight
miles up the road from my house in Huddersfield at a time when I was
living just eight miles from his house in Palermo.

And then along came Covid-19 and he and I and everybody else in
Argentina were locked down as were hundreds of millions of other
people all around the world and the reason I tried to make contact
with him was because we were almost neighbours and I wanted to show
some solidarity as one locked-down foreigner to another. But he and
his wife had already packed up and moved out to her country home in
the province and as far as I know they are still there today.

I hope he finds his way any way he can. And if finding his way brings
him back to his music that would be wonderful too.
Jane Vernon
2021-07-09 08:08:49 UTC
interview on the Mary Gauthier Show http://youtu.be/S4H2kpH0ROo
[...]
Mary Gautier! Has a YouTube show! Thank you so much, Nick, for
alerting me to this. Will also explore Richard Shindell.

Purple Potter
I used to have a sig. Wonder whatever happened to that.
Sid Nuncius
2021-07-09 17:04:18 UTC
Mary Gautier!  Has a YouTube show!  Thank you so much, Nick, for
alerting me to this.  Will also explore Richard Shindell.
Any otherrats for the Umra Mary Gauthier Appreciation Society (UMGAS)?
Big fan here; I saw her live a couple of years ago. Not. Half. Bad.
--
Sid
Jane Vernon
2021-07-10 07:37:06 UTC
Mary Gautier!  Has a YouTube show!  Thank you so much, Nick, for
alerting me to this.  Will also explore Richard Shindell.
Any otherrats for the Umra Mary Gauthier Appreciation Society (UMGAS)?
Big fan here; I saw her live a couple of years ago.  Not. Half. Bad.
Oh, and another one for the Music on the way to Rehab:

I drink - Mary Gauthier

Purple Potter, still purple
Sid Nuncius
2021-07-10 08:28:15 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Sid Nuncius
Mary Gautier!  Has a YouTube show!  Thank you so much, Nick, for
alerting me to this.  Will also explore Richard Shindell.
Any otherrats for the Umra Mary Gauthier Appreciation Society (UMGAS)?
Big fan here; I saw her live a couple of years ago.  Not. Half. Bad.
I drink - Mary Gauthier
Yep - classic.
[1]

There is some fantastic stuff on Mercy Now; Your Sister Cried is another
gem, IMO (even if she didn't write it).
[1]

[1]For anyrat interested.
--
Sid
2021-07-10 17:26:08 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Sid Nuncius
Mary Gautier!  Has a YouTube show!  Thank you so much, Nick, for
alerting me to this.  Will also explore Richard Shindell.
Any otherrats for the Umra Mary Gauthier Appreciation Society (UMGAS)?
Big fan here; I saw her live a couple of years ago.  Not. Half. Bad.
I drink - Mary Gauthier
Purple Potter, still purple
Switching to a different songwriter, I found myself singing

"Still purple
after all these years"
2021-07-12 11:35:06 UTC
I (used to, pre-Covid) shuttle back and
forth to BsAs
I'm wondering how you say that when talking. "B S A S" would seem just
as much a mouthful as "Buenos Aries", so perhaps you say "BeeZass."
Wrexham, UK
Nick Odell
2021-07-12 12:33:01 UTC
On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:35:06 +0100, Jenny M Benson
I (used to, pre-Covid) shuttle back and
forth to BsAs
I'm wondering how you say that when talking. "B S A S" would seem just
as much a mouthful as "Buenos Aries", so perhaps you say "BeeZass."
It's something written rather than spoken and it's the "official"
representation of the words Buenos Aires within the city although
administratively the more pronounceable CABA (Ciudad Autonoma de
Buenos Aires) is common. There are other quaint abbreviations which
don't get vocalised such as EEUU for Estados Unidos (USA) The doubled
letters there are to show that the words are plural. (Okay. Stop now,
Nick. That's more than anybody wanted to know - Ed.)

2021-07-12 14:43:32 UTC
On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:33:01 +0100, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
There are other quaint abbreviations which
don't get vocalised such as EEUU for Estados Unidos (USA) The doubled
letters there are to show that the words are plural. (Okay. Stop now,
Nick. That's more than anybody wanted to know - Ed.)
Don't be silly, I'm fascinated, the only British abbreviation I can think
of which indicates a plural in that way is SS as in SS John and Paul (a
church, not a steam ship or Secret Service).
Clive Arthur
2021-07-12 15:08:21 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
There are other quaint abbreviations which
don't get vocalised such as EEUU for Estados Unidos (USA) The doubled
letters there are to show that the words are plural. (Okay. Stop now,
Nick. That's more than anybody wanted to know - Ed.)
Don't be silly, I'm fascinated, the only British abbreviation I can think
of which indicates a plural in that way is SS as in SS John and Paul (a
church, not a steam ship or Secret Service).
There's pp. for pages, and an LL.B. is a 'Legum Baccalaureus' or
'Bachelor of Laws'.
--
Cheers
Clive
John Ashby
2021-07-12 16:18:42 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
There are other quaint abbreviations which
don't get vocalised such as EEUU for Estados Unidos (USA) The doubled
letters there are to show that the words are plural. (Okay. Stop now,
Nick. That's more than anybody wanted to know - Ed.)
Don't be silly, I'm fascinated, the only British abbreviation I can think
of  which indicates a plural in that way is SS as in SS John and Paul (a
church, not a steam ship or Secret Service).
There's pp. for pages, and an LL.B. is a 'Legum Baccalaureus' or
'Bachelor of Laws'.
And vv for the verses that might be read in SS J & P.

2021-07-12 18:13:03 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
There are other quaint abbreviations which
don't get vocalised such as EEUU for Estados Unidos (USA) The doubled
letters there are to show that the words are plural. (Okay. Stop now,
Nick. That's more than anybody wanted to know - Ed.)
Don't be silly, I'm fascinated, the only British abbreviation I can think
of  which indicates a plural in that way is SS as in SS John and Paul (a
church, not a steam ship or Secret Service).
There's pp. for pages, and an LL.B. is a 'Legum Baccalaureus' or
'Bachelor of Laws'.
And vv for the verses that might be read in SS J & P.
Does (e.g.) Haydn's string quartets Opp. 20 & 33 count?
--
Sid
2021-07-12 13:38:22 UTC
I (used to, pre-Covid) shuttle back and
forth to BsAs
I'm wondering how you say that when talking. "B S A S" would seem just
as much a mouthful as "Buenos Aries", so perhaps you say "BeeZass."
I understand that there is a lot of pizzazz in that place.
2021-07-12 14:38:38 UTC
I (used to, pre-Covid) shuttle back and
forth to BsAs
I'm wondering how you say that when talking. "B S A S" would seem just
as much a mouthful as "Buenos Aries", so perhaps you say "BeeZass."
One up from the bee's knees?
--
Sid
2021-07-12 15:38:12 UTC
I (used to, pre-Covid) shuttle back and
forth to BsAs
I'm wondering how you say that when talking. "B S A S" would seem just
as much a mouthful as "Buenos Aries", so perhaps you say "BeeZass."
One up from the bee's knees?
You do it for the craic do you Sid?
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Jim Easterbrook
2021-07-07 18:19:52 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.

Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
2021-07-07 20:51:46 UTC
On 7 Jul 2021 18:19:52 GMT, Jim Easterbrook
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.
Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
In the same vein, most of The Tales of Hoffmann

Then there's:

Nick
Min
2021-07-07 23:22:04 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.
Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
In the same vein, most of The Tales of Hoffmann
http://youtu.be/VOnFaYMyZu0
Nick
'Three Drunken Maidens'

Min
Sid Nuncius
2021-07-08 08:22:01 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.
Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
In the same vein, most of The Tales of Hoffmann
http://youtu.be/VOnFaYMyZu0
'Three Drunken Maidens'
http://youtu.be/W45HnwhDZB0
Champagne Chorus from Die Fledermaus
--
Sid
2021-07-08 13:10:40 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.
Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
In the same vein, most of The Tales of Hoffmann
http://youtu.be/VOnFaYMyZu0
'Three Drunken Maidens'
http://youtu.be/W45HnwhDZB0
Champagne Chorus from Die Fledermaus
Anything played by ‘Vodka’ Ashkenazy
(https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-09-04-ca-13866-story.html) [I
recorded Vovka playing Grieg’s Piano Concerto in A minor at St. John’s
Smith Square, London some years ago].
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Jenny M Benson
2021-07-12 11:38:31 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.
Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
In the same vein, most of The Tales of Hoffmann
http://youtu.be/VOnFaYMyZu0
'Three Drunken Maidens'
http://youtu.be/W45HnwhDZB0
Champagne Chorus from Die Fledermaus
Anything played by ‘Vodka’ Ashkenazy
(https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-09-04-ca-13866-story.html) [I
recorded Vovka playing Grieg’s Piano Concerto in A minor at St. John’s
Smith Square, London some years ago].
Nick Teen and All K Hall. (Is it ok to remember Rolf Harris?)
Wrexham, UK
Chris
2021-07-09 11:44:01 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.
Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
Very disappointed when Google translated it for me, not having the Latin
you understand. (Well not enough to be sure I was right)

2021-07-11 09:56:43 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.
Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
Very disappointed when Google translated it for me, not having the Latin
you understand. (Well not enough to be sure I was right)
Sincerely Chris
What shall we do with the Drunken Sailor?
2021-07-11 10:31:31 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.
Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
Very disappointed when Google translated it for me, not having the Latin
you understand. (Well not enough to be sure I was right)
Sincerely Chris
What shall we do with the Drunken Sailor?
Drink to me only with thine eyes.

Margarita, treading grapes with you.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Mike McMillan
2021-07-11 10:55:53 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by krw
Post by Chris
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.
Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
Very disappointed when Google translated it for me, not having the Latin
you understand. (Well not enough to be sure I was right)
Sincerely Chris
What shall we do with the Drunken Sailor?
Drink to me only with thine eyes.
Margarita, treading grapes with you.
Ten Green Bottles.

Campbeltown Loch, I wish you were whiskey.

One For My Baby (and One More For The Road)
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
John Ashby
2021-07-11 12:48:23 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by krw
Post by Chris
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
Brian having suggested All Ice might like some music on the way to rehab
Suggestions please…
Little Old Wine Drinker Me.
Champaign Charlie is my name.
The Drinking Song.
In taberna quando sumus, from Orff's Carmina Burana.
Brindisi, from Verdi's La Traviata.
Very disappointed when Google translated it for me, not having the Latin
you understand. (Well not enough to be sure I was right)
Sincerely Chris
What shall we do with the Drunken Sailor?
Drink to me only with thine eyes.
Margarita, treading grapes with you.
Ten Green Bottles.
Campbeltown Loch, I wish you were whiskey.
One For My Baby (and One More For The Road)
Having now heard the episode in question I'm a little surprised that
nobody has suggested They're Coming to Take Me Away by Napoleon XIV

Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Chris
2021-07-11 15:19:50 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by krw
Post by Chris
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Blushes. I can rarely come up with something, even I should have managed
that one. Ridiculous recording.

2021-07-12 08:15:57 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by John Ashby
Having now heard the episode in question I'm a little surprised that
nobody has suggested They're Coming to Take Me Away by Napoleon XIV
Blushes. I can rarely come up with something, even I should have
managed that one. Ridiculous recording.
Good 'B' side though.
Axlegrease
Seven Drunken Nights (Dubliners)
Chris
2021-07-12 13:56:28 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Chris
Post by John Ashby
Having now heard the episode in question I'm a little surprised that
nobody has suggested They're Coming to Take Me Away by Napoleon XIV
Blushes. I can rarely come up with something, even I should have
managed that one. Ridiculous recording.
Good 'B' side though.
I didn’t own the record, schoolfriends did. Knowing some of my
schoolfriends they still do as they stayed with their vinyl and still play
them. And if you have to carry all your belongings in two hands on trains
and a coach at start and end of term you don’t buy many records in six
years!