OT: Mindfulness
2020-11-07 09:48:32 UTC
Anyone who has a spare couple of hours during this new lockdown could do
worse than watch this very skilled chap building his log cabin in Slovenia.

It's VERY slow TV most of the time, but none the worse for that and
watching him cut the trees, strip them and then start the build is very
hypnotic.

There is no annoying music and no commentary either, just the sounds of
him working and of nature. It is a beautiful spot and there are lots of
sections where you just enjoy the nature, flowers, butterflies, wind,
cloudscapes etc.

I found it incredibly relaxing and cheering and I strongly recommend it.
I've now watched a lot more of his stuff and he's a very interesting
bloke. You can watch the detail of his 1st year build and also the
second year of building (it's still not finished, but looking beautiful)
if you want more, but none of it is as good as that 2 hour film...
DavidK
2020-11-07 10:44:14 UTC
http://youtu.be/E_6b_cwuB6A
It's VERY slow TV most of the time, but none the worse for that and
watching him cut the trees, strip them and then start the build is very
hypnotic.
There is no annoying music and no commentary either, just the sounds of
him working and of nature. It is a beautiful spot and there are lots of
sections where you just enjoy the nature, flowers, butterflies, wind,
cloudscapes etc.
I found it incredibly relaxing and cheering and I strongly recommend it.
I've now watched a lot more of his stuff and he's a very interesting
bloke. You can watch the detail of his 1st year build and also the
second year of building (it's still not finished, but looking beautiful)
if you want more, but none of it is as good as that 2 hour film...
tl;dw but I have watched videos on building castles and, in particular,
a scandi video on repairing a heavy wooden beam in a building. It was
astonishing how regular they could get the woodwork just by splitting trees.
BrritSki
2020-11-07 11:03:18 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by BrritSki
Anyone who has a spare couple of hours during this new lockdown could
do worse than watch this very skilled chap building his log cabin in
Slovenia.
http://youtu.be/E_6b_cwuB6A
tl;dw
It really is worth it. I didn't expect to spend over 2 hours on it...

Post by DavidK
a scandi video on repairing a heavy wooden beam in a building. It was
astonishing how regular they could get the woodwork just by splitting trees.
There's another set of youtube videos by a Russian lawyer of all things
who makes his own tools and has erected a log cabin somewhere near Sy.
Petersburg entirely on his own from fallen trees 40-50cm. He uses a
chainsaw to cut planks that are remarkably regular.
He's also built kayaks using branches and clingfilm !