Future storyline for TA?
2020-05-12 14:50:56 UTC
Costing the earth is discussing the merits of using farmland as a temporary
holding area to reduce flash flooding. And of course, when the start
storing water on lowland in Ambridge - skellingtons may be found...
2020-05-12 17:39:02 UTC
On Tue, 12 May 2020 14:50:56 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Costing the earth is discussing the merits of using farmland as a temporary
holding area to reduce flash flooding. And of course, when the start
storing water on lowland in Ambridge - skellingtons may be found...
That's exactly what flood plains are for and they work well enough in the
upper Severn valley - although they had to raise the causeway carrying the
main road from Welshpool to Oswestry about a foot a few years back because
the diversion if/when it floods really isn't up to the task these days.

We did have a lot of temporarily closed roads through the past, very wet,
winter, largely in predictable places, so maybe highways should do a bit
more raising of roads.

I am still amazed by how rapidly the river level changes here (in either
direction) but I guess the farmers are better used to it and don't use the
riverside grazing when it is likely to flood.