new ideas for diversification for Ambridge farmers
Vicky Ayech
2019-01-24 12:19:39 UTC
Nobody does mushrooms, do they? You only need cellars, don't you? Or
dark rooms at the right temperature, and they are used to make quorn
and in lots of dishes, as well as selling well as they are.

Then there are more farmers, according to BBC2 this morning, now
farming not intensively but farming animals in a more old-fashioned
way. They get a premium for the meat and sell locally so no air miles.

Farm shows have ice cream varieties made from goats' milk, so although
Pat apparently has only 2 goats someone could get more and go into
that. I'm not sure how many goats one would need to make a viable
amount of ice cream, without getting too big as a business.

What about story lines on some of the new ideas in protein? COuld Ben
and Rory, who like alternative ideas, start an insect farm and sell
them as snacks or main protein for dishes?
Clive Arthur
2019-01-24 12:57:05 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Nobody does mushrooms, do they? You only need cellars, don't you? Or
dark rooms at the right temperature, and they are used to make quorn
and in lots of dishes, as well as selling well as they are.
No mushrooms in Quorn!

<snip>

Cheers
Clive
Sid Nuncius
2019-01-25 10:23:19 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
No mushrooms in Quorn!
When do we want it?

NOW!

Er...sorry, I arrived late for the demo. Everyone seems to be looking
at me a bit oddly.
Serena Blanchflower
2019-01-25 10:35:13 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
No mushrooms in Quorn!
They've obviously been subjected to over hunting :(
--
Best wishes, Serena
Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals
(Winston Churchill)
BrritSki
2019-01-25 11:11:38 UTC
Berks !
Nick Odell
2019-01-24 13:56:03 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Nobody does mushrooms, do they? You only need cellars, don't you? Or
dark rooms at the right temperature, and they are used to make quorn
and in lots of dishes, as well as selling well as they are.
Then there are more farmers, according to BBC2 this morning, now
farming not intensively but farming animals in a more old-fashioned
way. They get a premium for the meat and sell locally so no air miles.
Farm shows have ice cream varieties made from goats' milk, so although
Pat apparently has only 2 goats someone could get more and go into
that. I'm not sure how many goats one would need to make a viable
amount of ice cream, without getting too big as a business.
What about story lines on some of the new ideas in protein? COuld Ben
and Rory, who like alternative ideas, start an insect farm and sell
them as snacks or main protein for dishes?
In my opinion, the first thing we need to tackle is the high level of
food waste at every point in the chain from field to fridge, I don't
have figures to hand but what is it? About 40%? I can't remember if
that's just what consumers chuck away or incorporates everything but
let's say it's only 40% total. If we didn't have to grown that extra 40%
there'd be room for less intensive farming practices to provide us with
the food we are going to eat in a more sustainable way. So bring on
Pat's goats and Adam's mushrooms.

Alternatively, instead of playing sillybuggers with insect protein in a
country which IMO isn't naturally suited to it without throwing extra
energy generation into the equation, growing that extra 40% with the
strategic intention of feeding the hungry elsewhere would (again IMO) be
A Good Thing.

Nick
BrritSki
2019-01-24 14:04:55 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
<languid wave> to all that.

And we wouldn't have to listen to the dippy wives of billionaires who
fly round the world in private jets telling us to reduce our meat
consumption to practically zero to save the world.

</rant>
Nick Odell
2019-01-24 14:24:35 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
<languid wave back atcha>

Nick
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-24 20:18:48 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by BrritSki
<languid wave> to all that.
And we wouldn't have to listen to the dippy wives of billionaires who
fly round the world in private jets telling us to reduce our meat
consumption to practically zero to save the world.
</rant>
<languid wave back atcha>
Shirley umra can harvest all this wave energy?
Sam Plusnet
Mike
2019-01-25 08:32:01 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Nick Odell
Post by BrritSki
<languid wave> to all that.
And we wouldn't have to listen to the dippy wives of billionaires who
fly round the world in private jets telling us to reduce our meat
consumption to practically zero to save the world.
</rant>
<languid wave back atcha>
Shirley umra can harvest all this wave energy?
Sorry, I’m afraid I can’t help here, my hands are tide.
Toodle Pip
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-25 21:29:42 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Nick Odell
Post by BrritSki
<languid wave> to all that.
And we wouldn't have to listen to the dippy wives of billionaires who
fly round the world in private jets telling us to reduce our meat
consumption to practically zero to save the world.
</rant>
<languid wave back atcha>
Shirley umra can harvest all this wave energy?
Sorry, I’m afraid I can’t help here, my hands are tide.
And that's the littoral truth.
Sam Plusnet
Vicky Ayech
2019-01-24 19:29:40 UTC
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 13:56:03 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Definitely agree to all that. I am pretty sure we do not have much
food waste. I really hate throwing food. A soup maker takes care of
old veg. I risk life eating things past their best :) and I order very
carefully.
Nick Odell
2019-01-25 00:10:35 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
You and me both. I'm quite proud of the fact that, when the fortnightly
bin collection came round on Monday I didn't actually put my wheelie
out: what with composting and recycling, I hadn't generated any "waste"
for two weeks. But if we - and doubtless the rest of umra - are being so
good it suggests others out there may be throwing out 60, 70, maybe 80%
of what they buy.

Nick
Mike
2019-01-25 08:35:53 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Yeap, we are long term members of that club too. We are shortly to have a
‘kitchen waste’ receptacle supplied by Wokingham BC, think ours may be used
as a plant pot or for garden tools.
Toodle Pip
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-25 21:34:16 UTC
Post by Mike
Yeap, we are long term members of that club too. We are shortly to have a
‘kitchen waste’ receptacle supplied by Wokingham BC, think ours may be used
as a plant pot or for garden tools.
We were supplied with such a receptacle.

It came in very handy when building work removed our front door (along
with the letter slot).
Wofe mounted the receptacle on a post near the garden gate - Post Lady
for the use of.
Sam Plusnet
Chris McMillan
2019-01-28 19:05:07 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Or retire our current food waste (peelings etc) bin of several years old
that lives in the kitchen. Have to see what its dimensions are

Sincerely Chris
Mike
2019-01-29 08:44:15 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Mike
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Doubt it will be as suitable for the job; the Lakeland one has a charcoal
filtered vent on the top and a handle to carry and tip it when at our 2
cubic metre compost heap (wooden post frame with removable slats seeings as
how noRat even wants to know.)
Toodle Pip
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-29 21:31:26 UTC
Post by Mike
Doubt it will be as suitable for the job; the Lakeland one has a charcoal
filtered vent on the top and a handle to carry and tip it when at our 2
cubic metre compost heap (wooden post frame with removable slats seeings as
how noRat even wants to know.)
Charcoal filter are an interesting device. Do try to find out what it
will cost to buy a replacement filter - if indeed they are available.

Our fridge came with a charcoal "nasty niff" filter which was to last 6
months before a replacement was needed.
If bought at a discount, the replacement costs £42.
Sam Plusnet
Serena Blanchflower
2019-01-29 21:59:26 UTC
Post by Mike
Doubt it will be as suitable for the job; the Lakeland one has a charcoal
filtered vent on the top and a handle to carry and tip it when at our 2
cubic metre compost heap (wooden post frame with removable slats seeings as
how noRat even wants to know.)
Charcoal filter are an interesting device.  Do try to find out what it
will cost to buy a replacement filter - if indeed they are available.
Almost £5 for 8 (which last a long time), assuming it's the same model
that I have:

<https://www.lakeland.co.uk/20342/Compost-Caddy---Replacement-Filters>
Our fridge came with a charcoal "nasty niff" filter which was to last 6
months before a replacement was needed.
If bought at a discount, the replacement costs £42.
:(
--
Best wishes, Serena
Q. What's white and crumbly and swings through the trees?
A. A meringutang
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
Mike
2019-01-29 21:59:31 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike
Doubt it will be as suitable for the job; the Lakeland one has a charcoal
filtered vent on the top and a handle to carry and tip it when at our 2
cubic metre compost heap (wooden post frame with removable slats seeings as
how noRat even wants to know.)
Charcoal filter are an interesting device. Do try to find out what it
will cost to buy a replacement filter - if indeed they are available.
Our fridge came with a charcoal "nasty niff" filter which was to last 6
months before a replacement was needed.
If bought at a discount, the replacement costs £42.
We bought a pack of 5 or 6 at the time and still have left.
Toodle Pip
Penny
2019-01-29 22:56:00 UTC
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 21:31:26 +0000, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Our fridge came with a charcoal "nasty niff" filter which was to last 6
months before a replacement was needed.
If bought at a discount, the replacement costs £42.
Blimey!
I think I'll stick with an open jar containing a few pence worth of bicarb
in my fridge to quench any niffs.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-30 21:33:54 UTC
Post by Penny
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Our fridge came with a charcoal "nasty niff" filter which was to last 6
months before a replacement was needed.
If bought at a discount, the replacement costs £42.
Blimey!
I think I'll stick with an open jar containing a few pence worth of bicarb
in my fridge to quench any niffs.
Not even that.
Said fridge is seven years old and the little red light which indicates
"Change carbon filter now" has been lit for 6.5 years.

There was a strong smell of garlic in there yesterday, but that was
because Wofe had some chicken marinating in garlic & lemon.
Chicken, marinade and smell have all gone.
Sam Plusnet
Penny
2019-01-25 08:40:11 UTC
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 00:10:35 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
I'm quite proud of the fact that, when the fortnightly
bin collection came round on Monday I didn't actually put my wheelie
out: what with composting and recycling, I hadn't generated any "waste"
for two weeks. But if we - and doubtless the rest of umra - are being so
good it suggests others out there may be throwing out 60, 70, maybe 80%
of what they buy.
Our rubbish collection is 3 weekly (food and recycling waste every week). I
usually have a half full sack of non-recyclable rubbish to put out. I put
out the recycling every 3 weeks too - the paper box is usually fairly full.
Food waste, when I remember, is a few bits in the bottom of a small caddy
bag each week.

Apparently many people buy a lot of food they think they ought to eat -
mostly fruit and veg - and it goes off before they've eaten it. Other food
waste is over-stock from supermarkets though they do seem to have got
better at giving this to someone who will feed it to hungry people, if the
press releases are to be believed.
Mike
2019-01-25 08:48:21 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
I think the likes of Hugh Fearnley Withitall have shamed them into it and a
few have even used it to their advantage with their PR depts.
Toodle Pip
Penny
2019-01-25 11:09:37 UTC
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 08:48:21 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Coincidentally and not entirely on topic with this bit of drift, Facebook
showed me a post I shared 9 years ago this morning, suggesting people
return unwanted packaging to supermarkets using their Freepost address.
Jenny M Benson
2019-01-25 09:46:47 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
You and me both. I'm quite proud of the fact that, when the fortnightly
bin collection came round on Monday I didn't actually put my wheelie
out: what with composting and recycling, I hadn't generated any "waste"
for two weeks. But if we - and doubtless the rest of umra - are being so
good it suggests others out there may be throwing out 60, 70, maybe 80%
of what they buy.
The residents of 11 pther flats put their rubbish out for collection
where I do. I think only 1 other used the Paper/Cardboard sack and he
died a couple of weeks ago. 1 or 2 others use the Plastic/Cans box. 1
other uses the Glass box.

It takes me usually a couple of weeks to fill the sack, months to fill
the Glass box, about 4 weeks to fill the Plastic one. Almost never more
than one caddy sack in the Kitchen waste and that's usually more tea
leaves than anything else.
--
Jenny M Benson
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Penny
2019-01-25 11:11:42 UTC
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 09:46:47 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
It takes me usually a couple of weeks to fill the sack, months to fill
the Glass box, about 4 weeks to fill the Plastic one. Almost never more
than one caddy sack in the Kitchen waste and that's usually more tea
leaves than anything else.
I compost tea leaves (but not the bags they come in). This involves leaving
the bags on the drainer to dry but my tea consumption is fairly low these
days.
Mike
2019-01-25 11:21:40 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
It takes me usually a couple of weeks to fill the sack, months to fill
the Glass box, about 4 weeks to fill the Plastic one. Almost never more
than one caddy sack in the Kitchen waste and that's usually more tea
leaves than anything else.
I compost tea leaves (but not the bags they come in). This involves leaving
the bags on the drainer to dry but my tea consumption is fairly low these
days.
How long do you need tea leave them on the drainer?
Toodle Pip
Sid Nuncius
2019-01-25 11:23:33 UTC
Post by Penny
I compost tea leaves
In Spain they take this so seriously that it is all monitored by a
Compost Teller. You can go on a pilgrimage to see him, apparently.

I'll get me mantilla.
Mike
2019-01-25 11:32:57 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Penny
I compost tea leaves
In Spain they take this so seriously that it is all monitored by a
Compost Teller. You can go on a pilgrimage to see him, apparently.
I'll get me mantilla.
‘Ere, you can borrow my fregona to clear up the mess.
Toodle Pip
BrritSki
2019-01-25 12:37:30 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
It takes me usually a couple of weeks to fill the sack, months to fill
the Glass box, about 4 weeks to fill the Plastic one. Almost never more
than one caddy sack in the Kitchen waste and that's usually more tea
leaves than anything else.
I compost tea leaves (but not the bags they come in). This involves leaving
the bags on the drainer to dry but my tea consumption is fairly low these
days.
We just throw the whole bag in the compost bucket straight from the
cup/teapot. Never noticed any bags when I come to use the compost...

Now avocado pips and skins...
Nick Odell
2019-01-25 15:49:01 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
It takes me usually a couple of weeks to fill the sack, months to fill
the Glass box, about 4 weeks to fill the Plastic one.  Almost never more
than one caddy sack in the Kitchen waste and that's usually more tea
leaves than anything else.
I compost tea leaves (but not the bags they come in). This involves leaving
the bags on the drainer to dry but my tea consumption is fairly low these
days.
We just throw the whole bag in the compost bucket straight from the
cup/teapot. Never noticed any bags when I come to use the compost...
Most tea bags contain between 5 to 20 percent plastic because turning
the tissue into bags depends on melting the plastic fibres together.

With everything else well rotted, all you'd notice would be a few
plastic fibres amongst a lot of other fibres of other stuff but the jury
is still out on whether the plastic chemicals leach into the plant life.

Penny's not alone in removing the bags: my sister for instance, does the
same and her favourite, Yorkshire Tea, is one of the worst for plastic
content. She'd actually swapped over to buying Yorkshire Tea loose but
then it seems they stopped importing it - which lead to a few "care
packages" being sent Down Under.
Post by BrritSki
Now avocado pips and skins...
Not a problem here. (I never buy avocados)

Nick
Penny
2019-01-25 20:48:06 UTC
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 12:37:30 +0000, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by BrritSki
Post by Penny
I compost tea leaves (but not the bags they come in). This involves leaving
the bags on the drainer to dry but my tea consumption is fairly low these
days.
We just throw the whole bag in the compost bucket straight from the
cup/teapot. Never noticed any bags when I come to use the compost...
IME the bags don't rot and are still recognisable 10 years on.
Post by BrritSki
Now avocado pips and skins...
I usually put anything avocado in the food waste bin, although I've been
hanging on to the nuts since I saw some nice carved ones on Etsy. Another
to add to the growing list of things I haven't done yet.
BrritSki
We use PG Tips, maybe their bags are more compostable...
Chris McMillan
2019-01-29 10:18:23 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
It takes me usually a couple of weeks to fill the sack, months to fill
the Glass box, about 4 weeks to fill the Plastic one. Almost never more
than one caddy sack in the Kitchen waste and that's usually more tea
leaves than anything else.
I compost tea leaves (but not the bags they come in). This involves leaving
the bags on the drainer to dry but my tea consumption is fairly low these
days.
We just throw the whole bag in the compost bucket straight from the
cup/teapot. Never noticed any bags when I come to use the compost...
Now avocado pips and skins...
As do I, I’d soon be told if tea bags were still seen come compost emptying
day.

Sincerely Chris
Jenny M Benson
2019-01-25 13:49:15 UTC
Post by Penny
I compost tea leaves (but not the bags they come in). This involves leaving
the bags on the drainer to dry but my tea consumption is fairly low these
days.
My tea doesn't come in bags! Well, it does, but they are plastic ones
about 6" x 8" and I drink a lot of tea these days.

Happy to put in a plug for www.tipsnleaves.com. Excellent customer
service and scrumptious teas.
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-25 21:39:32 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
It takes me usually a couple of weeks to fill the sack, months to fill
the Glass box, about 4 weeks to fill the Plastic one. Almost never more
than one caddy sack in the Kitchen waste and that's usually more tea
leaves than anything else.
I compost tea leaves (but not the bags they come in). This involves leaving
the bags on the drainer to dry but my tea consumption is fairly low these
days.
We use both loose and bagged tea.
The loose stuff goes to the wormery[1] & the tea bags to the compost heaps.

[1] Wofe is very particular about her worms' diet.
Sam Plusnet
Nick Odell
2019-01-25 23:13:03 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
It takes me usually a couple of weeks to fill the sack, months to fill
the Glass box, about 4 weeks to fill the Plastic one.  Almost never more
than one caddy sack in the Kitchen waste and that's usually more tea
leaves than anything else.
I compost tea leaves (but not the bags they come in). This involves leaving
the bags on the drainer to dry but my tea consumption is fairly low these
days.
We use both loose and bagged tea.
The loose stuff goes to the wormery[1] & the tea bags to the compost heaps.
[1] Wofe is very particular about her worms' diet.)
My sister (mentioned a few posts ^^thataway^^) has some special worms
that thrive on dog poo and break that down into harmless compost. She
became very anxious a little while ago when she was "between dogs"
(Rusty having pointed his toes skywards and Lola not having arrived yet)
because if those worms have to be fed something else they lose the taste
for dog poo and won't go back to eating it again. I suspect that if I
had the opportunity to taste something -anything- else, I wouldn't want
to go back to dog poo either.

Nick
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-26 21:28:08 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
My sister (mentioned a few posts ^^thataway^^) has some special worms
that thrive on dog poo and break that down into harmless compost. She
became very anxious a little while ago when she was "between dogs"
(Rusty having pointed his toes skywards and Lola not having arrived yet)
because if those worms have to be fed something else they lose the taste
for dog poo and won't go back to eating it again. I suspect that if I
had the opportunity to taste something -anything- else, I wouldn't want
to go back to dog poo either.
I started to wonder quite how such a product (the worms) arrived on the
market - and then decided to think of other things.
Sam Plusnet
Kate B
2019-01-25 15:39:43 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Nick Odell
You and me both. I'm quite proud of the fact that, when the
fortnightly bin collection came round on Monday I didn't actually put
my wheelie out: what with composting and recycling, I hadn't generated
any "waste" for two weeks. But if we - and doubtless the rest of umra
- are being so good it suggests others out there may be throwing out
60, 70, maybe 80% of what they buy.
The residents of 11 pther flats put their rubbish out for collection
where I do.  I think only 1 other used the Paper/Cardboard sack and he
died a couple of weeks ago.  1 or 2 others use the Plastic/Cans box.  1
other uses the Glass box.
It takes me usually a couple of weeks to fill the sack, months to fill
the Glass box, about 4 weeks to fill the Plastic one.  Almost never more
than one caddy sack in the Kitchen waste and that's usually more tea
leaves than anything else.
I don't quite know how, but from this it seems that the two of us
generate more waste than any of you, and now I'm a bit alarmed. We have
a black-bin collection every two weeks (two bags of unrecyclables and
mucky stuff) which goes straight to the incinerator at Millwall, a
green-bin recyclables collection every week (nearly a bin-full of
newspapers, wrappings, tins, and rather a lot of bottles), a brown-bin
garden waste one every week (often full of prunings or leaves), and a
grey waste-food bin every week (two small caddy-bags of peelings etc,
three if we've had cauliflower). We don't have a compost heap. Are we
profligate?
--
Kate B
London
Penny
2019-01-25 21:06:58 UTC
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 15:39:43 +0000, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Kate B
I don't quite know how, but from this it seems that the two of us
generate more waste than any of you, and now I'm a bit alarmed. We have
a black-bin collection every two weeks (two bags of unrecyclables and
mucky stuff) which goes straight to the incinerator at Millwall, a
green-bin recyclables collection every week (nearly a bin-full of
newspapers, wrappings, tins, and rather a lot of bottles), a brown-bin
garden waste one every week (often full of prunings or leaves), and a
grey waste-food bin every week (two small caddy-bags of peelings etc,
three if we've had cauliflower). We don't have a compost heap. Are we
profligate?
I think one of the main differences may be actual newspapers. I haven't
bought any for years. I rarely drink, my glass box gets a couple of
marmalade jars every 3 weeks. Jars from home made jam and chutney are kept
for the next batch.
LFS
2019-01-26 07:25:40 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Similar to us, except that our bins are different colours. Our green bin
contains the non-recyclables and is collected every other week: it
usually contains the contents of an old-fashioned bin and a half of
stuff. The recyclables bin is blue and is collected in alternate weeks
from the green one. It is usually two-thirds full, mostly paper and
cardboard but also bottles and tins. The green waste food bin is
collected every week and usually has two bags from the smaller caddy
under the sink.

We don't have a compost heap. We do have a garbage disposer, because at
the time that we were having the kitchen done the council were proposing
to collect food waste only fortnightly and this worried me. But we don't
use it much.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-26 21:54:22 UTC
Post by LFS
Similar to us, except that our bins are different colours. Our green bin
contains the non-recyclables and is collected every other week: it
usually contains the contents of an old-fashioned bin and a half of
stuff. The recyclables bin is blue and is collected in alternate weeks
from the green one. It is usually two-thirds full, mostly paper and
cardboard but also bottles and tins. The green waste food bin is
collected every week and usually has two bags from the smaller caddy
under the sink.
We don't have a compost heap. We do have a garbage disposer, because at
the time that we were having the kitchen done the council were proposing
to collect food waste only fortnightly and this worried me. But we don't
use it much.
We have a large bag for recycling cardboard, and paper (inc. a large
proportion of our post) goes in the general recycling black box.

What do umrats do with used paper handkerchiefs?

I'm sure they could/should go in with the recycling paper but...
Sam Plusnet
Nick Odell
2019-01-27 00:20:49 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by LFS
[...]
The destructions for our recycling bins say clean card and paper only.

Nick
Penny
2019-01-27 11:35:12 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
What do umrats do with used paper handkerchiefs?
Flush 'em.
Jim Easterbrook
2019-01-27 11:55:13 UTC
Post by Penny
Post by Sam Plusnet
What do umrats do with used paper handkerchiefs?
Flush 'em.
Bad idea. Loo paper is designed to fall apart when wet, tissues are
designed to have "wet strength".
--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>
Penny
2019-01-27 15:42:16 UTC
On 27 Jan 2019 11:55:13 GMT, Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Penny
Post by Sam Plusnet
What do umrats do with used paper handkerchiefs?
Flush 'em.
Bad idea. Loo paper is designed to fall apart when wet, tissues are
designed to have "wet strength".
Depends what you used to blow your nose. I rarely buy 'tissues' as such and
kitchen towels now seem to disintegrate in the wash :(
Sally Thompson
2019-01-27 07:22:02 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by LFS
[...]
Ours go on the log burner, or, in the summer, on the compost heaps.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-27 19:06:07 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by LFS
[...]
Ah! The wood stove idea might catch on at Chez Plusnet.

(I'll ask the boss)
Sam Plusnet
Chris McMillan
2019-01-29 10:18:24 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Kate B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Our Wokingham Council recycle box is black. We can now put transparent
plastic trays in, also silver paper, any cards without glitter or objects,
any gift wrap that scrunches up. Refuse to,pay £60 for a garden bin, McT
has constructed two impressive compost boxes and Lidl’s regular incinerator
sales help knowing we can easily buy a new one and bring it back on the
bus.

We have nice big blue sacks for rubbish that’s non recyclable. Don’t get me
started on Reading’s system though. You have to live there to understand
it!

Sincerely Chris

Sincerely Chris
Flop
2019-01-29 11:45:37 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
We have nice big blue sacks for rubbish that’s non recyclable. Don’t get me
started on Reading’s system though. You have to live there to understand
it!
Sincerely Chris
Sincerely Chris
Unfortunately, 'living there' doesn't help with understanding.
Especially when local supermarkets have different rules.
--
Flop

I want to re-marry my ex.
She thinks I am after my money.
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
Penny
2019-02-04 16:10:22 UTC
Someone scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
the Glass box
I was putting my recycling in the boxes for collection tomorrow (I gather
it in small boxes indoors and leave the big boxes up the steps in the
carport - too big and awkward to keep inside) and, as I put three clear jam
jars and one small brown bottle in the box, was pondering upon household
collection of waste glass.

If, as we used to do, you take your jars and bottles to the 'bank' and feed
it, one piece at a time, into those little holes, you are encouraged to
separate the various colours. When it is collected kerbside it all goes
together and, from the noises I hear on Tuesday mornings, ends up as lots
of broken glass of mixed colours.

Collection of waste glass has always been a bit of a mystery to me. It was
one of the first things councils started dealing with yet the market for
glass cullet must be small and the price gained is unlikely to be higher
than the transport costs. The raw ingredients are plentiful and cheap. The
only reason I can see for cash-strapped Councils to do it at all is targets
and threats of hefty fines if they fail to meet them.

On the other hand, I've rather liked some of the 'other' uses for waste
glass (and plastic) that I've seen - turned into kerbstones and benches.
LFS
2019-02-04 18:51:56 UTC
Post by Penny
On the other hand, I've rather liked some of the 'other' uses for waste
glass (and plastic) that I've seen - turned into kerbstones and benches.
The strangest recycling conversation ever:

Me, cuddling baby granddaughter and admiring her cosy red all-in-one
garment: This is beautifully soft
Daughter-in-law: Should be, it's cashmere.
Me, astonished: !!
D-i-L: It was a gift from my boss
Me, still astonished: !!
D-i-L, dismissively: Well, it *is* recycled cashmere so probably less
expensive.

Grandma remained speechless for several minutes and then whispered in
baby's ear that she shouldn't expect to wear cashmere all her life...
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
Serena Blanchflower
2019-02-04 19:44:25 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
On the other hand, I've rather liked some of the 'other' uses for waste
glass (and plastic) that I've seen - turned into kerbstones and benches.
Me, cuddling baby granddaughter and admiring her cosy red all-in-one
garment: This is beautifully soft
Daughter-in-law: Should be, it's cashmere.
Me, astonished: !!
D-i-L: It was a gift from my boss
Me, still astonished: !!
D-i-L, dismissively: Well, it *is* recycled cashmere so probably less
expensive.
Grandma remained speechless for several minutes and then whispered in
baby's ear that she shouldn't expect to wear cashmere all her life...
I hope DIL enjoys hand washing...
--
Best wishes, Serena
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. Nor is there any future in it.
Sam Plusnet
2019-02-04 21:12:36 UTC
Post by LFS
Grandma remained speechless for several minutes and then whispered in
baby's ear that she shouldn't expect to wear cashmere all her life...
Some goats do have that expectation. Privileged little darlings.
Sam Plusnet
Mike
2019-02-05 08:30:44 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by LFS
Grandma remained speechless for several minutes and then whispered in
baby's ear that she shouldn't expect to wear cashmere all her life...
Some goats do have that expectation. Privileged little darlings.
You must be kidding.... IGMG.
Toodle Pip
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2019-02-05 08:40:13 UTC
On Monday, 4 February 2019 21:12:41 UTC, Sam Plusnet wrote:

<snipped>
"Oes gafr eto?"
Vicky Ayech
2019-02-05 08:48:33 UTC
BTN?
Sid Nuncius
2019-02-05 09:24:50 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by LFS
Grandma remained speechless for several minutes and then whispered in
baby's ear that she shouldn't expect to wear cashmere all her life...
Some goats do have that expectation. Privileged little darlings.
BTN?
No. Funny, but not BT in the slightest.
Vicky Ayech
I was imagining dead, skinned baby goats.
Sid Nuncius
2019-02-05 11:35:41 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by LFS
Grandma remained speechless for several minutes and then whispered in
baby's ear that she shouldn't expect to wear cashmere all her life...
Some goats do have that expectation. Privileged little darlings.
BTN?
No. Funny, but not BT in the slightest.
I was imagining dead, skinned baby goats.
I wasn't. Until now. Thanks, Vicky.

;o)
Penny
2019-02-05 11:53:06 UTC
On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 11:20:47 +0000, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by LFS
Grandma remained speechless for several minutes and then whispered in
baby's ear that she shouldn't expect to wear cashmere all her life...
Some goats do have that expectation. Privileged little darlings.
BTN?
No. Funny, but not BT in the slightest.
I was imagining dead, skinned baby goats.
News Flash: goats are not skinned for their wool, anymore than sheep or
alpaca are.
Mike
2019-02-05 11:58:15 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by LFS
Grandma remained speechless for several minutes and then whispered in
baby's ear that she shouldn't expect to wear cashmere all her life...
Some goats do have that expectation. Privileged little darlings.
BTN?
No. Funny, but not BT in the slightest.
I was imagining dead, skinned baby goats.
News Flash: goats are not skinned for their wool, anymore than sheep or
alpaca are.
That would be ‘Sheer madness’.
Toodle Pip
Penny
2019-02-04 23:09:07 UTC
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 18:51:56 +0000, LFS <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by LFS
Me, cuddling baby granddaughter and admiring her cosy red all-in-one
garment: This is beautifully soft
Daughter-in-law: Should be, it's cashmere.
Me, astonished: !!
D-i-L: It was a gift from my boss
Me, still astonished: !!
D-i-L, dismissively: Well, it *is* recycled cashmere so probably less
expensive.
Grandma remained speechless for several minutes and then whispered in
baby's ear that she shouldn't expect to wear cashmere all her life...
:)

There's a company I've come across at craft fairs locally who make cashmere
'sleeve gloves' [my name, not theirs] - sort of long fingerless mittens,
from the sleeves of discarded cashmere sweaters and cardigans. I've no idea
why they were discarded in the first place or what happens to the rest of
the original garment. Perhaps they are unravelled and made into baby
garments.

My mother-in-law was a great fan of jumble sales* and would buy up sweaters
and reknit them into tea cosies to sell at church fund-raisers. Mostly
these were not posh sweaters to begin with and sometimes the mix of yarns
she chose were not happy together at all and/or unhappy to be used on a hot
teapot. One she gave me was yellow and brown - I think the yellow was wool
but the brown was synthetic and melted a bit on the teapot, becoming very
stiff :(

* she did pick up some rather wonderful bits and pieces too, including a
lovely brass Art Nouveau repousé jug and a little Franz Bergman bronze
inkwell in the shape of a bird on a nest. I doubt she paid more than 1/-
each for them.
Serena Blanchflower
2019-01-27 10:48:17 UTC
Post by Kate B
I don't quite know how, but from this it seems that the two of us
generate more waste than any of you, and now I'm a bit alarmed. We have
a black-bin collection every two weeks (two bags of unrecyclables and
mucky stuff) which goes straight to the incinerator at Millwall, a
green-bin recyclables collection every week (nearly a bin-full of
newspapers, wrappings, tins, and rather a lot of bottles), a brown-bin
garden waste one every week (often full of prunings or leaves), and a
grey waste-food bin every week (two small caddy-bags of peelings etc,
three if we've had cauliflower). We don't have a compost heap. Are we
profligate?
YANAOU

As I live largely on ready meals, I get through an alarming amount of
plastic, all too little of which is recyclable :( I have a black bin
collection every fortnight and my bin is generally rather over half
full. On the alternate weeks, it's the recycling and that bin is often
not too far from being full, largely with cardboard packaging, because I
do all my shopping online. Sadly, my council doesn't have a separate
kitchen waste, so that waste which can't be fed to my wormery has to go
in with my main rubbish.

I also have a garden waste bag, also collected fortnightly, which tends
to be either completely full or empty, depending on whether I've been
having any work done in my garden that week. My current garden's too
small to have a proper compost heap and the wormery only takes the
kitchen waste.

Rumour has it that the council is going to start taking bottles but, at
the moment, someone takes those to the bottle bank for me, every so often.
--
Best wishes, Serena
Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard
(Spike Milligan)
Vicky Ayech
2019-01-27 11:15:17 UTC
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 10:48:17 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Kate B
[...]
MTAAW
Or us too. We have lots of ready things which come with plastic and
cardboard sleeves. We have fresh veg and salad and fruit too, all of
which I try and get unwrapped but much is very plasticked. And we
have no compost heap or wormery.

I hate the kitchen food waste caddy. Not much goes in but it fills
too fast and the bags which are recyclable do not stop damp so I have
to keep washing the nuggering bin out.
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I also have a garden waste bag, also collected fortnightly, which tends
to be either completely full or empty, depending on whether I've been
having any work done in my garden that week. My current garden's too
small to have a proper compost heap and the wormery only takes the
kitchen waste.
Our blue-top recyclable cardboard etc bin fills fast as B ordered lots
of things online, not being well enough to go and get them. They empty
it weekly but less often over the holidays and things piled up. The
garden and caddy waste is every two weeks and the black bin of other
things is weekly like the blue top. Bottles go in that.
Kate B
2019-01-27 11:54:21 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 10:48:17 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
YANAOU
MTAAW
Phew.
Post by Vicky Ayech
I hate the kitchen food waste caddy. Not much goes in but it fills
too fast and the bags which are recyclable do not stop damp so I have
to keep washing the nuggering bin out.
I always put a square of kitchen paper in the bottom of it to absorb
condensation or drips, which works quite well. I'm not sure if the
kitchen paper is recyclable (bleach?) and it's already been recycled
once, so it mostly goes into the incinerator bin unless it too has
disintegrated. Consistent, moi?
--
Kate B
London
Vicky Ayech
2019-01-27 13:44:47 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
I hate the kitchen food waste caddy. Not much goes in but it fills
too fast and the bags which are recyclable do not stop damp so I have
to keep washing the nuggering bin out.
I always put a square of kitchen paper in the bottom of it to absorb
condensation or drips, which works quite well. I'm not sure if the
kitchen paper is recyclable (bleach?) and it's already been recycled
once, so it mostly goes into the incinerator bin unless it too has
disintegrated. Consistent, moi?
I put newspaper in the bottom and then the bin liner. When the
newspaper is soggy (too often) I know it has to be washed again.
My mum just had newspaper in bins. No bags. There were no bags then.
Fenny
2019-01-27 16:48:18 UTC
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 13:44:47 +0000, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
I put newspaper in the bottom and then the bin liner. When the
newspaper is soggy (too often) I know it has to be washed again.
My mum just had newspaper in bins. No bags. There were no bags then.
Apart from the caddy bag, I don't do bin bags - single use plastic if
ever there was! I keep a [1] carrier bag [2] hanging from one of the
kitchen drawer handles as a kitchen bin. It mostly has plastic food
bags in it. When it gets full, I empty it and reuse it. Everything
else goes into bins/boxes that get emptied into the appropriate
coloured wheelie bin.

If the food caddy needs washing, I tend to swill it round in the rain
water barrel by the back door and leave it to dry in the "sunshine".

[1] Currently Waitrose
[2] One of the few remaining "single use" carrier bags, as I [3] take
a reuseable bag [4] shopping.
[3] mostly
[4] I've got a couple of excellent and funny Aldi cotton bags on the
go at the moment.
Fenny
LFS
2019-01-27 14:30:47 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
I hate the kitchen food waste caddy. Not much goes in but it fills
too fast and the bags which are recyclable do not stop damp so I have
to keep washing the nuggering bin out.
The pale green recyclable bags bags we use seem strong enough to stop
that - our bin usually only needs a quick wipe.

This thread has shown just how much the ways of dealing with waste vary
around the country. I find this astonishing. Standardisation would
surely make it cheaper and more efficient.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Nick Odell
2019-01-27 15:01:27 UTC
Post by LFS
  I hate the kitchen food waste caddy. Not much goes in but it fills
too fast and the bags which are recyclable do not stop damp so I have
to keep washing the nuggering bin out.
The pale green recyclable bags bags we use seem strong enough to stop
that - our bin usually only needs a quick wipe.
This thread has shown just how much the ways of dealing with waste vary
around the country. I find this astonishing. Standardisation would
surely make it cheaper and more efficient.
That nice Mr Gove already has the matter in hand:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/19/michael-gove-haunted-by-plastic-pollution-seen-in-blue-planet-ii

Nick
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-27 19:10:23 UTC
Post by LFS
  I hate the kitchen food waste caddy. Not much goes in but it fills
too fast and the bags which are recyclable do not stop damp so I have
to keep washing the nuggering bin out.
The pale green recyclable bags bags we use seem strong enough to stop
that - our bin usually only needs a quick wipe.
This thread has shown just how much the ways of dealing with waste vary
around the country. I find this astonishing. Standardisation would
surely make it cheaper and more efficient.
Quite. Whenever we go away in the caravan, the second thing[1] we do at
each new site is to try and work out how the recycling is done there.

[1] First thing is to check on the Loos & showers.
Sam Plusnet
Fenny
2019-01-27 11:40:02 UTC
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 10:48:17 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Rumour has it that the council is going to start taking bottles but, at
the moment, someone takes those to the bottle bank for me, every so often.
This is the thing that frustrates me most about the different local
authorities around the UK. When I lived in Hudds, I could put pretty
much anything in my single recycling bin.

When I moved here, we had a box for glass, cans & plastic and another
for paper & cardboard and I think we could put clothing in there at
one point. Ma's council did paper, card, plastic and cans, but not
bottles. Now I'm back to a single bin for anything deemed recyclable
and a food waste caddy. According to the figures for the first 6
months of our new system, (unsurpisingly) recycling rates have
increased and non-recycable has reduced significantly, even though we
now pay for garden waste collections and people who don't choose to
pay for that will put garden waste in the landfill bin.

The more restrictions and complications council waste services put on
what will or won't be collected, the less likely people are to bother
about sorting stuff. Although "young people" are more likely to think
that "older people" are ruining the planet, many of them are really
not that bothered about environmental matters. When I used to talk to
the apprentices about recycling or low energy bulbs, their reaction
was "Not my problem, can't be bothered".

At least Sir David has managed to get people interested again, but I
still take issue with the term "single use" plastic. The only real
single use plastic is immediate food wrapping - the plastic round a
pizza or the bag that the box of tomatoes comes in, or things like
cotton buds, razors and deoderant bottles. I reuse bottles and
punnets and straws for all kinds of stuff. And why does water get
more of a bad reputation for coming in plastic bottles than fizzy pop?
It's more likely that people will reuse a water bottle for water than
one that had brown fizzy stuff in it. Yet more people drink more
fizzy brown stuff than drink bottled water.

/rant
Fenny
SODAM
2019-01-25 23:14:15 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
<applause>
That entirely accords with practice at Kemp Towers. Some stuff might go to
the dog or the birds but not much. No food goes into the dustbin. Does that
mean someone else is wasting my 40%?
I have a half-size wheelie bin that is half-full once per fortnight (which
is when it is emptied).I reckon it would take me eight weeks to fill a
large bin. And none of it food.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-24 14:36:30 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Nobody does mushrooms, do they? You only need cellars, don't you? Or
dark rooms at the right temperature, and they are used to make quorn
and in lots of dishes, as well as selling well as they are.
[]
I don't think there can be a lot of money in mushrooms, though. I've
seen big boxes - getting on for A3 size, I'd say, certainly bigger than
A4 - for sale in Grainger Market in Newcastle, for a pound. Even in
supermarkets, they're not that expensive.

There might _possibly_ be some premium in exotic varieties, but I
suspect not a lot. (Plus the concern about poisoning people.)

I'm talking legal varieties, of course, not what Freddie and Nolly ...

--
Ever been frustrated that you can't disagree with a petition? See 255soft.uk

The desire to remain private and/or anonymous used to be a core British value,
but in recent times it has been treated with suspicion - an unfortunate by-
product of the widespread desire for fame. - Chris Middleton,
Computing 6 September 2011
carolet
2019-01-24 18:38:50 UTC
On 24/01/2019 12:19, Vicky Ayech wrote:
.
.
.
Post by Vicky Ayech
Farm shows have ice cream varieties made from goats' milk, so although
Pat apparently has only 2 goats someone could get more and go into
that. I'm not sure how many goats one would need to make a viable
amount of ice cream, without getting too big as a business.
The milk from Pat's two goats was being used to make kefir. What is
happening to this milk now? They make cheese and yoghurt, as well as ice
cream, so it shouldn't be too difficult to use it for any of these, but
I don't think it has been mentioned.

This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing?
Do dogs actually like eating it?
CaroleT
Clive Arthur
2019-01-24 18:42:28 UTC
Post by carolet
.
.
.
Post by Vicky Ayech
Farm shows have ice cream varieties made from goats' milk, so although
Pat apparently has only 2 goats someone could get more and go into
that. I'm not sure how many goats one would need to make a viable
amount of ice cream, without getting too big as a business.
The milk from Pat's two goats was being used to make kefir. What is
happening to this milk now? They make cheese and yoghurt, as well as ice
cream, so it shouldn't be too difficult to use it for any of these, but
I don't think it has been mentioned.
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing?
Do dogs actually like eating it?
Given what dogs seem to be fond of licking, there should be some
interesting flavours.

Cheers
Clive
BrritSki
2019-01-24 19:47:53 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by carolet
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing?
Do dogs actually like eating it?
Given what dogs seem to be fond of licking, there should be some
interesting flavours.
Suitor to prospective MiL on first very awkward meeting in the parlour
watching the dog lick itself: "I wish I could do that".

MiL: "Give him a biscuit and he'll let you"
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-24 19:24:14 UTC
In message <q2d0no$g6p$***@dont-email.me>, carolet
<***@gmail.com> writes:
[]
Post by carolet
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing?
Do dogs actually like eating it?
I think I've seen enough dogs eating ice cream to deduce that yes, they
do like doing so. However, whether it's the actual cold, or just the
fact that it's concentrated sugar (most ice cream has lots in it) or
concentrated fat (i. e. the same reason[s] children like it - thousands
of years of evolution teaches us that such things are good and to be
eaten when available, with modern production methods perhaps making us
eat what isn't good for us [and dogs]), I don't know.

Wisdom is the ability to cope. - the late (AB of C) Michael Ramsey,
quoted by Stephen Fry (RT 24-30 August 2013)
Mike
2019-01-25 08:11:07 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[]
Post by carolet
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing?
Do dogs actually like eating it?
I think I've seen enough dogs eating ice cream to deduce that yes, they
do like doing so. However, whether it's the actual cold, or just the
fact that it's concentrated sugar (most ice cream has lots in it) or
concentrated fat (i. e. the same reason[s] children like it - thousands
of years of evolution teaches us that such things are good and to be
eaten when available, with modern production methods perhaps making us
eat what isn't good for us [and dogs]), I don't know.
Rather a vanilla reply that! ;-)
Toodle Pip
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-25 21:45:44 UTC
Post by Mike
Rather a vanilla reply that! ;-)
When did the seed pods of an exotic orchid, which grows in far distant
Mesoamerica, become a byword for the boring, ordinary and mundane?

Odd that.
Sam Plusnet
Jenny M Benson
2019-01-24 21:10:31 UTC
Post by carolet
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing?
Do dogs actually like eating it?
Never heard of it, but my Feisty is very partial to the ice cream
intended for human consumption.
Vicky Ayech
2019-01-24 21:49:13 UTC
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 21:10:31 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by carolet
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing?
Do dogs actually like eating it?
Never heard of it, but my Feisty is very partial to the ice cream
intended for human consumption.
Our remaining dog gets the bowl to lick out, the cat gets between
person and spoon and Molly, when alive, on one occasion at the park
elbowed the children queuing for the ice cream van out of the way, got
to the front, put her feet up near the counter and more or less said
"I'll have a 99". She knew the sound of the ice cream van outside the
house too. We shared a soft ice cream very occasionally with her and
she liked to lick the bowl out at home if we had ice cream.
Mike
2019-01-25 08:51:48 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by carolet
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing?
Do dogs actually like eating it?
Never heard of it, but my Feisty is very partial to the ice cream
intended for human consumption.
Our remaining dog gets the bowl to lick out, the cat gets between
person and spoon and Molly, when alive, on one occasion at the park
elbowed the children queuing for the ice cream van out of the way, got
to the front, put her feet up near the counter and more or less said
"I'll have a 99". She knew the sound of the ice cream van outside the
house too. We shared a soft ice cream very occasionally with her and
she liked to lick the bowl out at home if we had ice cream.
One of our cats absolutely *loved* Heinz cream of tomato soup; never left a
single trace in the soup bowl - saved on the washing up it did.
Toodle Pip
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-25 21:48:34 UTC
One of our cats absolutely*loved* Heinz cream of tomato soup; never left a
single trace in the soup bowl - saved on the washing up it did.
Oscar loved Chicken & Sweetcorn soup & we were not 'allowed' to have a
chinese takeaway without it.

(Yes, Oscar was indeed a cat)
Sam Plusnet
steveski
2019-01-24 23:06:48 UTC
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 21:10:31 +0000, Jenny M Benson wrote:

[]
Post by Jenny M Benson
Never heard of it, but my Feisty is very partial to the ice cream
intended for human consumption.
Didn't realise that you were one of us Linux aficionados,
Jenny :-)
Steveski
LFS
2019-01-25 05:05:27 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by carolet
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing?
Do dogs actually like eating it?
Never heard of it, but my Feisty is very partial to the ice cream
intended for human consumption.
When I was very young, whenever we had ice cream in cones we broke off
the end, dipped it in the ice cream and gave it to our cat Smokey. Had
to wait for the ice cream to soften a bit because it came in rectangular
bricks. I wonder when ice cream became soft.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Mike
2019-01-25 08:45:21 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by carolet
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing?
Do dogs actually like eating it?
Never heard of it, but my Feisty is very partial to the ice cream
intended for human consumption.
When I was very young, whenever we had ice cream in cones we broke off
the end, dipped it in the ice cream and gave it to our cat Smokey. Had
to wait for the ice cream to soften a bit because it came in rectangular
bricks. I wonder when ice cream became soft.
When the Viagra ran out.
Toodle Pip
Serena Blanchflower
2019-01-25 09:17:21 UTC
Post by LFS
When I was very young, whenever we had ice cream in cones we broke off
the end, dipped it in the ice cream and gave it to our cat Smokey. Had
to wait for the ice cream to soften a bit because it came in rectangular
bricks. I wonder when ice cream became soft.
I think the invention of soft-freeze ice cream is generally
attributed[1] to Maggie Thatcher - in her pre-political life.

[1] I have no idea how accurately
--
Best wishes, Serena
Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart. (Erma Bombeck)
Nick Odell
2019-01-25 10:05:28 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by carolet
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other
day. I was much surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a
thing? Do dogs actually like eating it?
Never heard of it, but my Feisty is very partial to the ice cream
intended for human consumption.
When I was very young, whenever we had ice cream in cones we broke off
the end, dipped it in the ice cream and gave it to our cat Smokey. Had
to wait for the ice cream to soften a bit because it came in rectangular
bricks. I wonder when ice cream became soft.
When they started selling it by the litre rather than the kilo? I find
with my home-made cardiac ice cream (2 parts double cream + 1 part full
cream milk, 1 part caster sugar) a litre of raw ingredients makes enough
soft ice cream to fill a two litre tub.

Nick
Jenny M Benson
2019-01-25 13:52:00 UTC
I find with my home-made cardiac ice cream (2 parts double cream + 1
part full cream milk, 1 part caster sugar) a litre of raw ingredients
makes enough soft ice cream to fill a two litre tub.
My sis is thinking of getting an ice cream maker. Any recommendations
from Umrats?
Nick Odell
2019-01-25 15:52:11 UTC
I find with my home-made cardiac ice cream (2 parts double cream + 1
part full cream milk, 1 part caster sugar) a litre of raw ingredients
makes enough soft ice cream to fill a two litre tub.
My sis is thinking of getting an ice cream maker.  Any recommendations
from Umrats?
Yes.

Don't bother.

All I use is an electric hand whisk.

Nick
PS The only other ingredient for my recipe above is 1tsp Madagascan
Vanilla essence per litre of finished product - and I don't think that's
responsible for doubling the volume.
Clive Arthur
2019-01-25 18:06:05 UTC
I find with my home-made cardiac ice cream (2 parts double cream + 1
part full cream milk, 1 part caster sugar) a litre of raw ingredients
makes enough soft ice cream to fill a two litre tub.
My sis is thinking of getting an ice cream maker.  Any recommendations
from Umrats?
A certain Mr Snowy is looking for work...

Cheers
Clive
Dumrat
2019-01-25 14:34:53 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Farm shows have ice cream varieties made from goats' milk, so although
Pat apparently has only 2 goats someone could get more and go into
that. I'm not sure how many goats one would need to make a viable
amount of ice cream, without getting too big as a business.
A propos of not a lot, we recently found camel milk ice cream for sale in our local
supermarket. The pistachio one is excellent. Chocolate one is good, too. The saffron
taster tub is languishing in our freezer waiting to be a year or so past its use by date
so we can allow ourselves to throw it out.
The milk from Pat's two goats was being used to make kefir. What is happening to this milk
now? They make cheese and yoghurt, as well as ice cream, so it shouldn't be too difficult
to use it for any of these, but I don't think it has been mentioned.
This also reminded me that I saw ice cream for dogs on sale the other day. I was much
surprised by it. Are any of you aware of such a thing? Do dogs actually like eating it?
We've idly contemplated getting the salmon one for our dog, but can't justify the cost,
the doggy hotel where she stays when we travel is expensive enough without adding luxuries
such as doggy ice cream to their bill! According to the dog hotel, the ice cream is
popular with the dogs they know who've tried it. I think another flavour is liver. I'm not
so sure that dogs would enjoy the icy texture in their mouths though? Anyhow, our dog eats
most things bar green vegetables so she'd surely hoover the ice cream up without tasting
it, which would be a complete and utter waste!

Oh, it's apparently been on sale here in the UAE since 2017!
https://gulfnews.com/lifestyle/ice-cream-can-go-to-the-dogs-literally-1.2024955
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
Mike
2019-01-25 15:00:38 UTC
Post by Dumrat
A propos of not a lot, we recently found camel milk ice cream for sale in our local
supermarket.
Err don’t you find it’s a bit humpy? I don’t mean to say that in a
dromedary way of course...
Toodle Pip
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-25 21:51:44 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Dumrat
A propos of not a lot, we recently found camel milk ice cream for sale in our local
supermarket.
Err don’t you find it’s a bit humpy? I don’t mean to say that in a
dromedary way of course...
Where would you look to find a suitable milking stool?
Sam Plusnet
Mike
2019-01-26 10:52:42 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike
Post by Dumrat
A propos of not a lot, we recently found camel milk ice cream for sale in our local
supermarket.
Err don’t you find it’s a bit humpy? I don’t mean to say that in a
dromedary way of course...
Where would you look to find a suitable milking stool?
The stools are difficult to locate; I think they are camelflagued.
--
Toodle Pip