Baffled of Yorkshire
2021-07-04 21:03:10 UTC
Reading "Brief Letters" in "The Observer" on-line, I came across an
item on Lemon Drizzle Cake in which the Rev C Mary Austin wrote:

"Lemon drizzle cake introduced into the UK by Evelyn Rose in the pages
of the Jewish Chronicle in 1967 (A month in Ambridge, 3 July)? Sorry,
it was around before then!"

A Month in Ambridge, 3 July?

I didn't see that article on Saturday and asking The Guardian or
Google for a link today just draws a blank.

Is anybody else having better luck?

2021-07-05 06:54:59 UTC
Reading "Brief Letters" in "The Observer" on-line, I came across an
"Lemon drizzle cake introduced into the UK by Evelyn Rose in the pages
of the Jewish Chronicle in 1967 (A month in Ambridge, 3 July)? Sorry,
it was around before then!"
A Month in Ambridge, 3 July?
I didn't see that article on Saturday and asking The Guardian or
Google for a link today just draws a blank.
Is anybody else having better luck?
Nick
I'm not finding it either, not by searching for ambridge via the
Guardian search button nor by looking at Charlotte Higgins's oeuvre. I'm
led to believe that (for now) it's print only.

2021-07-05 07:27:10 UTC
Reading "Brief Letters" in "The Observer" on-line, I came across an
"Lemon drizzle cake introduced into the UK by Evelyn Rose in the pages
of the Jewish Chronicle in 1967 (A month in Ambridge, 3 July)? Sorry,
it was around before then!"
A Month in Ambridge, 3 July?
I didn't see that article on Saturday and asking The Guardian or
Google for a link today just draws a blank.
Is anybody else having better luck?
I'm not finding it either, not by searching for ambridge via the
Guardian search button nor by looking at Charlotte Higgins's oeuvre. I'm
led to believe that (for now) it's print only.
There was a discussion of this recently - I assumed it was in umra but a
quick search reveals nowt. So maybe it was in the Times or DT...
Serena Blanchflower
2021-07-05 08:19:35 UTC
Reading "Brief Letters" in "The Observer" on-line, I came across an
"Lemon drizzle cake introduced into the UK by Evelyn Rose in the pages
of the Jewish Chronicle in 1967 (A month in Ambridge, 3 July)? Sorry,
it was around before then!"
A Month in Ambridge, 3 July?
I didn't see that article on Saturday and asking The Guardian or
Google for a link today just draws a blank.
Is anybody else having better luck?
No, I haven't seen it, despite having an RSS feed on it.
Are you honest and truthful in all you say and do? Do you maintain
strict integrity in business transactions and in your dealings with
individuals and organisations? (Quaker Advices and Queries #37)
Hellerat
2021-07-05 09:26:18 UTC
Reading "Brief Letters" in "The Observer" on-line, I came across an
"Lemon drizzle cake introduced into the UK by Evelyn Rose in the pages
of the Jewish Chronicle in 1967 (A month in Ambridge, 3 July)? Sorry,
it was around before then!"
A Month in Ambridge, 3 July?
I didn't see that article on Saturday and asking The Guardian or
Google for a link today just draws a blank.
Is anybody else having better luck?
Found it via pressreader.

A month in Ambridge
Borsetshire hit by sex, drugs and lemon cake

Ambridge underwent a mystical union with Walford this month. “Just leave it, Brian!” urged
Jennifer. “Yeah, just leave it,” repeated their daughter Alice, venomously. Brian was
advising alcoholic Alice to recall her marriage vows after she’d picked up some guy whose
name she couldn’t remember, which, as she pointed out, was a bit rich coming from the
adulterer-in-chief himself.

In fact, the entire shaky Aldridge edifice looks like it’s in slowmotion collapse: its
complicated web of children, stepchildren and out-of-wedlock children is going to make the
inheritance question in King Lear look positively straightforward. Borsetshire’s landscape
does not tend heathwards, blasted or otherwise, but expect Brian to be rampaging around
Lakey Hill soon, calling upon thought-executing fires to singe his white head.

Ruairi – the out-of-wedlock child in question – has announced himself as Ambridge’s first
bisexual, and he is clearly having a lot of fun with Troy, his friend-with-benefits. Also
having that kind of fun are Vince and Elizabeth, the only people in Britain to be using
the word “staycation” to mean “having a holiday at home” rather than “having a holiday
somewhere in the UK”, an accurate usage of which village pedant Jim Lloyd would no doubt
approve.

But Lily Pargetter has outdone them all with her “sexathon” with her workmate Solly,
causing an unfamiliar emotion to rise in the breast of this listener, at least – pity for
her boyfriend, creepy Russ. Lily is another one of those characters who has been compelled
back to Ambridge either by its invisible forcefield or by the requirements of the
scriptwriters, when, by rights, she should really be doing a degree at Manchester. Someone
– perhaps those indefatigable researchers into Ambridge, Academic Archers – should do a
study into university drop-out rates in rural Borsetshire.

Et in Arcadia ego! It turns out that you can get crack cocaine in Ambridge. “Drugs are
everywhere, Jennifer,” imparted Ed Grundy solemnly. “I could get a delivery by teatime
whenever I wanted.” Is there any more potent word in the Am valley than “teatime”?

“Another flapjack?” asked Peggy of Chris, in her best Celia Johnson accent. “Slice of
lemon drizzle?” It’s an Archers in-joke, lemon drizzle, the ultimate signifier of ancient
rural rituals (though the recipe was introduced to Britain by Evelyn Rose in the pages of
the Jewish Chronicle in 1967).

Peggy has been having flashbacks to what is referred to darkly as “the sanatorium”, a
Gothic-sounding institution in Scotland where her own alcoholic spouse, Jack Archer,
expired in the early-lemon-drizzle era of 1972. Jennifer thinks the Alice situation “has
hit rock bottom”. Peggy – along with the entire Archers audience – knows there are further
depths to plumb.

Ruairi is clearly having a lot of fun with Troy, his friend-with-benefits

UQ

That last sentence looks a bit lacking, not even a full stop!
--
Yassas,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Hellerat
Hellerat
2021-07-05 09:28:26 UTC
Post by Hellerat
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Oops, just realised that last sentence was completed in the middle of the column and then
got added at the end!
BrritSki
2021-07-05 09:42:57 UTC
Post by Hellerat
Post by Nick Odell
Reading "Brief Letters" in "The Observer" on-line, I came across an
"Lemon drizzle cake introduced into the UK by Evelyn Rose in the pages
of the Jewish Chronicle in 1967 (A month in Ambridge, 3 July)? Sorry,
it was around before then!"
A Month in Ambridge, 3 July?
I didn't see that article on Saturday and asking The Guardian or
Google for a link today just draws a blank.
Is anybody else having better luck?
Found it via pressreader.
A month in Ambridge
Borsetshire hit by sex, drugs and lemon cake
And a letter in the Grauniad the next day questioned the 1967 date.

<https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jul/04/lemon-drizzle-cake-memories-take-me-back-to-the-1950s>

That's not the discussion I saw as I don't normally read that rag
(surprise !_
BrritSki
2021-07-05 09:45:26 UTC
Post by Hellerat
Post by Nick Odell
Reading "Brief Letters" in "The Observer" on-line, I came across an
"Lemon drizzle cake introduced into the UK by Evelyn Rose in the pages
of the Jewish Chronicle in 1967 (A month in Ambridge, 3 July)? Sorry,
it was around before then!"
A Month in Ambridge, 3 July?
I didn't see that article on Saturday and asking The Guardian or
Google for a link today just draws a blank.
Is anybody else having better luck?
Found it via pressreader.
A month in Ambridge
Borsetshire hit by sex, drugs and lemon cake
And a letter in the Grauniad the next day questioned the 1967 date.
<https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jul/04/lemon-drizzle-cake-memories-take-me-back-to-the-1950s>
That's not the discussion I saw as I don't normally read that rag
(surprise !_
The 1967 claim was in the Jewish Chronicle and was for the published
recipe, but even that is disputed:
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/lemondrizzlecake.htm
BrritSki
2021-07-05 09:47:37 UTC
Post by Hellerat
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
And there's a pre-cursor in Mrs Beeton
https://oakden.co.uk/lemon-cake-1861-recipe/
Sid Nuncius
2021-07-05 16:59:12 UTC
The 1967 claim was in the Jewish Chronicle and was for the published
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/lemondrizzlecake.htm
A dispute among Jews? I think you must be mistaken, Brritters. [1]

[1] "Wherever there are two Jews there will be three opinions."
--
Sid
I disagree, Sid.
BrritSki
So does Sid.
Sjouke Burry
Is that an opinion?
Sid Nuncius
2021-07-06 05:30:11 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
The 1967 claim was in the Jewish Chronicle and was for the published
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/lemondrizzlecake.htm
A dispute among Jews?  I think you must be mistaken, Brritters. [1]
[1] "Wherever there are two Jews there will be three opinions."
I disagree, Sid.
Is that an opinion?
Not IMO.
(This could run and run...)
--
Sid
2021-07-06 09:04:34 UTC
The 1967 claim was in the Jewish Chronicle and was for the published
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/lemondrizzlecake.htm
A dispute among Jews? I think you must be mistaken, Brritters. [1]
[1] "Wherever there are two Jews there will be three opinions."
I disagree, Sid.
?
On the one hand they won't necessarily be opinions but might be facts,
right or wrong or dispubale that one party is presenting.
On the other hand two Jews might have the same oinion but not like
each other and so not want toagree. (have you read any of the books by
Harry Kemmelman, Thr Rabbi detective ones? He does on the one hand and
on the other hand a lot)
Vicky Ayech
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Friday-Rabbi-Slept-Small-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B00ZJZH6XK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=harry+kemelman+the+rabbi+books&qid=1625562428&s=books&sr=1-2
Sid Nuncius
2021-07-06 16:17:44 UTC
The 1967 claim was in the Jewish Chronicle and was for the published
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/lemondrizzlecake.htm
A dispute among Jews? I think you must be mistaken, Brritters. [1]
[1] "Wherever there are two Jews there will be three opinions."
I disagree, Sid.
?
On the one hand they won't necessarily be opinions but might be facts,
right or wrong or dispubale that one party is presenting.
On the other hand two Jews might have the same oinion but not like
each other and so not want toagree. (have you read any of the books by
Harry Kemmelman, Thr Rabbi detective ones? He does on the one hand and
on the other hand a lot)
Only a couple of them, and that was years ago. I may try him again.

In my view, we're both wrong about this, btw. ;O)
--
Sid
2021-07-05 11:24:39 UTC
On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 10:42:57 +0100, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
And a letter in the Grauniad the next day questioned the 1967 date.
Which I think is where this thread started...
2021-07-05 14:00:41 UTC
Ooops, didn't read the original carefully enough...
Nick Odell
2021-07-05 17:36:29 UTC
Post by Hellerat
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Thank you Anne! Well worth ferreting out IMO.

2021-07-05 19:07:16 UTC
Thank you Anne! Well worth ferreting out IMO.
Doh! Don't mention the ferrets.
2021-07-06 07:23:42 UTC
Thank you Anne! Well worth ferreting out IMO.
Doh! Don't mention the ferrets.
No need to hammer it home!
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Peter
2021-07-05 13:35:25 UTC
Reading "Brief Letters" in "The Observer" on-line, I came across an
I thought your post was going to be about using Yorkshire pudding as a
baffle and I was all set too make a useful contribution (post not pud),
so you can imagine my disappointment.
Post by Nick Odell
"Lemon drizzle cake introduced into the UK by Evelyn Rose in the pages
of the Jewish Chronicle in 1967 (A month in Ambridge, 3 July)? Sorry,
it was around before then!"
A Month in Ambridge, 3 July?
I didn't see that article on Saturday and asking The Guardian or
Google for a link today just draws a blank.
Is anybody else having better luck?
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg
Serena Blanchflower
2021-07-06 08:36:41 UTC
A Month in Ambridge, 3 July?
I didn't see that article on Saturday and asking The Guardian or
Google for a link today just draws a blank.
Is anybody else having better luck?
It has now arrived on the website, at
<https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jul/06/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-crack-cocaine-hits-ambridge>,
aka <https://is.gd/MiQz7Z>, if you want to read it in glorious
technicolour, or to read the comments BTL. I've gathered before that
articles don't always arrive online at the same time that they are in
the print edition. I suspect that online will generally lag behind the
print version but, sometimes at least, it's the other way around.
A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something. (Frank Capra)
Nick Odell
2021-07-06 08:44:30 UTC
On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 09:36:41 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
A Month in Ambridge, 3 July?
I didn't see that article on Saturday and asking The Guardian or
Google for a link today just draws a blank.
Is anybody else having better luck?
It has now arrived on the website, at
<https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jul/06/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-crack-cocaine-hits-ambridge>,
aka <https://is.gd/MiQz7Z>, if you want to read it in glorious
technicolour, or to read the comments BTL. I've gathered before that
articles don't always arrive online at the same time that they are in
the print edition. I suspect that online will generally lag behind the
print version but, sometimes at least, it's the other way around.
Wow! That news really is hot off the press since the article seems
only to have appeared on the Grauniad website half an hour earlier.
Thank you Serena!