Dentists and swimming pools
2020-07-27 08:56:14 UTC
I saw my dentist at the pool today. He uses the same one. He said he
is back at work but they are not doing routine check-ups, just
catching up on emergency stuff. He said they can only see about 5 a
day.
Sid Nuncius
2020-07-27 09:29:02 UTC
The title of this thread makes me want to add, "These are a few of my
favourite things."

It wouldn't be a strictly accurate statement, mind you.
2020-07-27 09:36:05 UTC
The title of this thread makes me want to add, "These are a few of my
favourite things."
It wouldn't be a strictly accurate statement, mind you.
The ‘Hope Somerat can... ‘ thread is elsewhere (whiskers on kittens).
2020-07-27 10:54:42 UTC
I saw my dentist at the pool today. He uses the same one. He said he
is back at work but they are not doing routine check-ups, just
catching up on emergency stuff. He said they can only see about 5 a
day.
Whereas I had an email from my dentist, yesterday[1], reminding me that
I am nearly due for a checkup and suggesting I should phone to arrange
it. They didn't mention the checkup I already had booked, but I suspect
they have cancelled all their old bookings.

[1] On a Sunday!
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it? (Albert Einstein)
BrritSki
2020-07-27 11:10:21 UTC
I saw my dentist at the pool today.
Underwater dentistry might be difficult [1] but it certainly cuts down
on the virus-laden aerosols from drilling.

[1] esp for the patient.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-07-27 15:38:24 UTC
I saw my dentist at the pool today. He uses the same one. He said he
"It's the one I use." (One of the more irritating ad.s. Though I'm
thinking quite hard now and can't remember which brand it is for, so
therefore it hasn't worked!)

[Actually, if he _didn't_ use the same one, would you have seen him?]
Post by Vicky Ayech
is back at work but they are not doing routine check-ups, just
catching up on emergency stuff. He said they can only see about 5 a
day.
That must be building up a huge number of non-emergency treatments;
absent a vaccine that works and lasts, it implies a need for a vast
increase in numbers of dentists, which won't happen so a big change (and
not for the better) in how we do dentistry. (And lots of other things -
hospitality and others [though in some cases those might be for the
better].)

Apologies to [those] who may have been harmed by the scientific inaccuracies
in this post. - Roger Tilbury in UMRA, 2018-3-14
Mike
2020-07-27 15:45:53 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
is back at work but they are not doing routine check-ups, just
catching up on emergency stuff. He said they can only see about 5 a
day.
That must be building up a huge number of non-emergency treatments;
absent a vaccine that works and lasts, it implies a need for a vast
increase in numbers of dentists, which won't happen so a big change (and
not for the better) in how we do dentistry. (And lots of other things -
hospitality and others [though in some cases those might be for the
better].)
Put your money in shares in door handles and balls of string.... err...
tell Sid!
2020-07-27 18:47:19 UTC
"It's the one I use." (One of the more irritating ad.s. Though I'm
thinking quite hard now and can't remember which brand it is for, so
therefore it hasn't worked!)
I'm always mildly amused by the Over 50s Life Insurance advert where the
neighbour says - of Over 50s life insurance - "Oh yes, I've seen the
adverts" but she's not taken up the insurance herself!
Wrexham, UK
Rosemary Miskin
2020-07-27 16:31:24 UTC
they are not doing routine check-ups,
While I had a routine check-up at our dentist this morning - but no
descaling, which was a relief!

Rosemary
Sam Plusnet
2020-07-27 21:53:10 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Vicky Ayech
they are not doing routine check-ups,
While I had a routine check-up at our dentist this morning - but no
descaling, which was a relief!
Now give your kettle a check-up.
2020-07-28 07:38:36 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Vicky Ayech
they are not doing routine check-ups,
While I had a routine check-up at our dentist this morning - but no
descaling, which was a relief!
Now give your kettle a check-up.
Elementary.
Then make yourself a cuppa - that’ll be alimentary.
2020-07-28 16:41:42 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Vicky Ayech
they are not doing routine check-ups,
While I had a routine check-up at our dentist this morning - but no
descaling, which was a relief!
Now give your kettle a check-up.
Elementary.
Then make yourself a cuppa - that’ll be alimentary.
You remind me of a spoof Sherlock Holmes film, in which they were on a
train, and Watson was doing a crossword: they managed at least
"alimentary, my dear Watson" and "a lemon tree, my dear Watson",
possibly more.

(I have vague memories of some claim that it was a line that was never
actually said - like "play it again, Sam" or "trasmitte me sursum,
Caledoni". I don't know - there've been enough films and TV series that
it probably _is_ in one of them. [Too long since I read the books.])

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).
Mike
2020-07-28 16:51:59 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Vicky Ayech
they are not doing routine check-ups,
While I had a routine check-up at our dentist this morning - but no
descaling, which was a relief!
Now give your kettle a check-up.
Elementary.
Then make yourself a cuppa - that’ll be alimentary.
You remind me of a spoof Sherlock Holmes film, in which they were on a
train, and Watson was doing a crossword: they managed at least
"alimentary, my dear Watson" and "a lemon tree, my dear Watson",
possibly more.
(I have vague memories of some claim that it was a line that was never
actually said - like "play it again, Sam" or "trasmitte me sursum,
Caledoni". I don't know - there've been enough films and TV series that
it probably _is_ in one of them. [Too long since I read the books.])
No SH didn’t actually utter that sequence of words but the nearest
utterance occurs in The Crooked
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/elementary--my-dear-watson
2020-07-28 21:19:34 UTC
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 17:41:42 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Vicky Ayech
they are not doing routine check-ups,
While I had a routine check-up at our dentist this morning - but no
descaling, which was a relief!
Now give your kettle a check-up.
Elementary.
Then make yourself a cuppa - that’ll be alimentary.
You remind me of a spoof Sherlock Holmes film, in which they were on a
train, and Watson was doing a crossword: they managed at least
"alimentary, my dear Watson" and "a lemon tree, my dear Watson",
possibly more.
(I have vague memories of some claim that it was a line that was never
actually said - like "play it again, Sam"
I think that was the one. He said you played it for her, play it for
me.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-07-29 01:43:44 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
or "trasmitte me sursum,
Caledoni". I don't know - there've been enough films and TV series that
it probably _is_ in one of them. [Too long since I read the books.])
The first is probably the most famous never-said (I think he actually
said "Play it, Sam", a few seconds before your quote) - but the Scotty
one is a close second.

I want to know who would mow Wales if we lost all the sheep. - Penny in
uk.media.radio.archers (in an environmental/ecological thread), 2020-1-1