Possible spoiler Friday 7th. June
2019-06-09 17:32:42 UTC

‘E

(T

‘’’s

‘’’r

.

Can’t help feeling that the catalyst for Jim’s rapid exodus from his
‘non-party’ was the possibly sinister character in the wheel chair.
Conjecture; cosa nostra Godfather, former academic colleague with a shady
past, former flame with whom he had a love child, former drug sharing
friend??? ITWSBT!
2019-06-09 17:42:25 UTC
‘E
(T
‘’’s
‘’’r
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Can’t help feeling that the catalyst for Jim’s rapid exodus from his
‘non-party’ was the possibly sinister character in the wheel chair.
Conjecture; cosa nostra Godfather, former academic colleague with a shady
past, former flame with whom he had a love child, former drug sharing
friend??? ITWSBT!
Red herring in a wheelchair? It is the woman standing next to it who
is Alastair's mother. She didn't die, she ran off withthe man in the
wheelchair, or someone. Jim told them she died.
Sally Thompson
2019-06-09 19:52:17 UTC
‘E
(T
‘’’s
‘’’r
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Can’t help feeling that the catalyst for Jim’s rapid exodus from his
‘non-party’ was the possibly sinister character in the wheel chair.
Conjecture; cosa nostra Godfather, former academic colleague with a shady
past, former flame with whom he had a love child, former drug sharing
friend??? ITWSBT!
Maybe man in wheelchair is Alistair's real father, the result of his mother
having an affair.
2019-06-11 07:06:28 UTC
‘E
(T
‘’’s
‘’’r
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Can’t help feeling that the catalyst for Jim’s rapid exodus from his
‘non-party’ was the possibly sinister character in the wheel chair.
Conjecture; cosa nostra Godfather, former academic colleague with a shady
past, former flame with whom he had a love child, former drug sharing
friend??? ITWSBT!
They said he was the son of some friends of their grandparents. Could
Jim's dad actually be the sinister character's father?

Another thought is that Jim is the cause of the sinister character being
in a wheelchair.
2019-06-11 10:02:41 UTC
‘E
<excessive spoiler space snipped>
Post by carolet
Another thought is that Jim is the cause of the sinister character being
in a wheelchair.
That was my thought, as well
Turn your face to the Sun and the shadows fall behind you. (Maori proverb)
Fenny
2019-06-11 19:19:50 UTC
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 11:02:41 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
<excessive spoiler space snipped>
Thank you. I've avoided this thread because anything with 200+ line
length isn't being read here.
SODAM
2019-06-12 10:36:39 UTC
Post by carolet
Another thought is that Jim is the cause of the sinister character being
in a wheelchair.
That was my thought, as well
YANAOU :-)

I also wondered whether he may have had an unfortunate affair with a
colleague that Shula and Alistair had unwittingly invited to the party
(that Jim didn’t want).

Just because they called it s “gathering” didn’t mean it wasn’t a party.
Lots of friends, music, a special cake, food and drink - that’s a party
isn’t it?
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Vicky Ayech
2019-06-12 12:14:44 UTC
Post by carolet
Another thought is that Jim is the cause of the sinister character being
in a wheelchair.
That was my thought, as well
YANAOU :-)
I also wondered whether he may have had an unfortunate affair with a
colleague that Shula and Alistair had unwittingly invited to the party
(that Jim didn’t want).
Just because they called it s “gathering” didn’t mean it wasn’t a party.
Lots of friends, music, a special cake, food and drink - that’s a party
isn’t it?
Yes it was a party and Shula's idea. What was she doing meddling in
the affairs of her ex's fatehr who she never got on with. I wonder
whether it was a secret wish to ruin his day, because of his criticism
of her efforts at religion,. Secret even to herself, as a #good'
person like Shula would never admit to malevolence/

J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-06-11 14:59:57 UTC
‘E
(T
‘’’s
‘’’r
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Can’t help feeling that the catalyst for Jim’s rapid exodus from his
‘non-party’ was the possibly sinister character in the wheel chair.
Conjecture; cosa nostra Godfather, former academic colleague with a shady
past,
Or with revelations that Jim's academic
background/qualifications/career/whatever is not what he has implied -
rather like Julia's sister revealed all those years ago?
former flame with whom he had a love child, former drug sharing
friend??? ITWSBT!
I imagine we will, in the fullness of time; unfortunately with current
attitudes it may not be soon enough for us, but maybe some years down
the road when some plot device is needed. Though as the exit seemed to
be triggered by sight of one person, I would _hope_ we _do_ find out
soon.
Presumably Alistair and Shula know who was there (and probably who was
where in the house), so they should be able to work out who it was, or
at least limit it to a small number of candidates.
Post by carolet
They said he was the son of some friends of their grandparents. Could
Jim's dad actually be the sinister character's father?
Do you mean Jim could (i. e. it's a brother Al never knew about), or
that it's a brother to Jim?
Post by carolet
Another thought is that Jim is the cause of the sinister character
being in a wheelchair.
"Mein Führer ... I can walk!"
(Sorry, wrong film.)

jpeg
--

Three- (or four-) way referendum, if we _have_ to have another one.

(Where has the "treat northern Ireland differently" option gone?)

... the greatest musical festival in the world that doesn't involve mud.
- Eddie Mair, RT 2014/8/16-22
steveski
2019-06-11 15:55:07 UTC
A L
‘E
M T
O M
(T
‘’’s ‘’’r
G H T P A
N T
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Another thought is that Jim is the cause of the sinister character being
in a wheelchair.
"Mein Führer ... I can walk!"
(Sorry, wrong film.)
Made Oi larf, that did John :-)
2019-06-11 16:32:37 UTC
   ‘E
   (T
  ‘’’s
  ‘’’r
     .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Post by carolet
former flame with whom he had a love child, former drug sharing
friend??? ITWSBT!
I imagine we will, in the fullness of time; unfortunately with current
attitudes it may not be soon enough for us, but maybe some years down
the road when some plot device is needed. Though as the exit seemed to
be triggered by sight of one person, I would _hope_ we _do_ find out soon.
Presumably Alistair and Shula know who was there (and probably who was
where in the house), so they should be able to work out who it was, or
at least limit it to a small number of candidates.
Fiona said that she didn't know who he came with. I took that to mean
that she hadn't invited him, although she recognised him.
They said he was the son of some friends of their grandparents. Could
Jim's dad actually be the sinister character's father?
Do you mean Jim could (i. e. it's a brother Al never knew about), or
that it's a brother to Jim?
Fiona said something like "he's a son of some friends of granny and
grandad". I therefore assume that he is roughly the same age as Jim,
with the possibility that he is Jim's brother. There is no reason why
they shouldn't have had much younger friends, of course.
2019-06-11 17:42:34 UTC
Another thought is that Jim is the cause of the sinister character
being in a wheelchair.
"Mein Führer ... I can walk!"
(Sorry, wrong film.)
Which reminds me, I went to the Stanley Kubrick exhibition at The Design
Museum in That London last Tuesday - after spending the morning with one
or two other like minded folk in Trafalgar Square and environs. Can't
think what that could have been about.

IMO it was a very good £12 (concessions, £16 adult) well spent and I
feel anybody who has enjoyed even just one of his films would probably
agree. The painstaking detail in his technique and -dare I say it - his
thorough understanding of every part of the film making process are
probably the main contributing factors in making Kubrick and his casts
of characters just as alive to us now as when we first saw them.

So those were the exhibits. The other thing that made the exhibition so
enthralling was the audience. Unlike a more general exhibition which
might attract a reasonable number of mildly interested viewers, the
pretty large number of people divided mainly into two camps: those for
whom Kubrick was, in a greater or lesser way, tangled up in their own
lives and film students who were there to learn about a master of the
genre and who would probably take a little of what they learn into their
own careers. The atmosphere was extraordinary. Magic. I think I said
something similar about the volunteers and visitors at the USAF National
Museum at Dayton, Ohio after I came back from that and this, that and -
for completely different reasons - the Museo Nacional del Banco Central
del Ecuador in Quito are probably the three exhibitions that have moved
me every bit as much as informed me.

If you can,do go.