Just checking….
2021-06-02 15:26:01 UTC
To make sure no-one is seeing my posting via eternal-september.org.
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Chris J Dixon
2021-06-02 15:48:56 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
To make sure no-one is seeing my posting via eternal-september.org.
That's alright, there's nobody here but us chickens.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-06-02 15:56:10 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Mike McMillan
To make sure no-one is seeing my posting via eternal-september.org.
That's alright, there's nobody here but us chickens.
Chris
What the Cluck?!
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Vicky Ayech
2021-06-02 16:00:54 UTC
hello, Mike. I didn't see you there.
krw
2021-06-02 16:03:29 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
To make sure no-one is seeing my posting via eternal-september.org.
Sorry been a bit pre-occupied.

A week's holiday (now legal you know). Now the house is being painted,
Pawdee has come to stay and needs walking, the squirrel problem has
finally been eradicated and the burglar alarm decided to go off for no
reason, not to mention trying to catch up on all the jobs which were
left unfinished before I went Norf!

Did I tell you all about North Tyneside? It is a council on the Norf
bank of the Tyne and one of the delightful conurbations covered is
Whitley Bay wherein resides a Spanish City containing a good fish and
chip restaurant which has been reported as dining inside a tiered
wedding cake so sounded ideal.

Booked a table for, bowled along on Monday of last week, served a decent
fish dinner and enjoyed the building. We then returned to our temporary
residence in Newbiggin-by-the-sea - once a coal mining centre but now an
entirely delightful seaside town - where I decided to peruse the news
online whilst the good lady wife went to bed.

I then discovered that by Holy Writ of the Government on the previous
Friday they had decided that North Tyneside was not permitted for visits
or for travelling into or out from because the dreaded delta variation
was rampaging on the streets (they seemed quiet to me). Apparently
crossing the (unmarked) boundaries was totally verboten. Except that
Boris and Matt had forgotten to tell anyone (and 6 other equally rotten
boroughs were similarly to be avoided). None of the residents knew
either, nor the councils, nor the local NHS or indeed anyone - because
after all the whole of England is one tier and all that different
treatment has been ditched since we were opened up.

After several days had passed the Government decided that their
instructions were only guidance but it was still better not to visit
such places, which would be fine except the only way south to come home
is via the Tyne Tunnel which starts in North Tyneside.

When was it allowed that someone could publish something on a website
and not even bother to tell the House of Commons or indeed arrange a No
10 Briefing - after all hasn't someone just spent our millions on a new
briefing room so we can all have our briefs?

I despair.
2021-06-02 16:54:41 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Funny that. I have a friend living somewhere on Tyneside. A very old
school friend but it’s his partner who’s been my friend since 1963. We
lost touch with this chap until 2018. When I saw N Tyneside mentioned, I
asked if this were he but I haven’t looked at my reply area on social media
for some hours.

2021-06-02 17:49:13 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
I think the word you are looking for is SNAFU. With the emphasis on the N.

2021-06-02 18:39:14 UTC
On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 at 15:26:01, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
To make sure no-one is seeing my posting via eternal-september.org.
I posted to say I was, in both senses, but e-s bounced my post because
of the odd character in the subject line (you'd put a "..." character
where I've put the X).

If it's not on fire, it's a software problem.
Sid Nuncius
2021-06-02 18:48:35 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
To make sure no-one is seeing my posting via eternal-september.org.
I posted to say I was, in both senses, but e-s bounced my post because
of the odd character in the subject line (you'd put a "..." character
where I've put the X).
And here was me thinking you were being affectionate. <sniffle> How
could you lead a poor, innocent boy on, only to cast him aside so cruelly?
--
Sid
2021-06-03 07:19:22 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
To make sure no-one is seeing my posting via eternal-september.org.
I posted to say I was, in both senses, but e-s bounced my post because
of the odd character in the subject line (you'd put a "..." character
where I've put the X).
And here was me thinking you were being affectionate. <sniffle> How
could you lead a poor, innocent boy on, only to cast him aside so cruelly?
Perhaps he will make up for it by giving you an eternal ring in September?
(Fussy blighters these newsfeeds and readers eh?)
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Sam Plusnet
2021-06-03 20:39:09 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
To make sure no-one is seeing my posting via eternal-september.org.
I posted to say I was, in both senses, but e-s bounced my post because
of the odd character in the subject line (you'd put a "..." character
where I've put the X).
And here was me thinking you were being affectionate.  <sniffle>  How
could you lead a poor, innocent boy on, only to cast him aside so cruelly?
There there Sid.
The right person for you will come along when the moment is right.
Better put that wedding dress back on its hanger before it gets crumpled
and tear-stained.