OT: Nice one supermarkets - NOT
2020-03-22 11:22:37 UTC
It seems that all the big supermarkets have chosen to open at the same
time - 8 to 9 am - to vulnerable and elderly customers only. All
supermarkets are at least one bus ride from here and as from to-day the
buses are only operating a Sunday service. That means the first bus to
leave here will be at 9.07 am.

The nearest supermarket is a rather small Co-op. The Co-op, of which I
am a member, is the only one (1) from whom I have not had any sort of
communication about current arrangements.

(1) Well, not Lidl or Aldi either, but not a customer so they don't have
my e-mail address.
Wrexham, UK
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-22 11:32:14 UTC
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:22:37 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
It seems that all the big supermarkets have chosen to open at the same
time - 8 to 9 am - to vulnerable and elderly customers only. All
supermarkets are at least one bus ride from here and as from to-day the
buses are only operating a Sunday service. That means the first bus to
leave here will be at 9.07 am.
The nearest supermarket is a rather small Co-op. The Co-op, of which I
am a member, is the only one (1) from whom I have not had any sort of
communication about current arrangements.
(1) Well, not Lidl or Aldi either, but not a customer so they don't have
my e-mail address.
I went in to the local Co-op today to see what they had. I go past to
the post box. They had plenty of bread, wrapped and sliced and
unsliced, rolls, bagettes etc. All kinds of milk, as normal, ready
meals, no sleaning wipes but there were sprays, only digestives, not
other biscuits. Nust depend on how re-stocking works. It was not
crowded, aisles pretty clear and it is a small shop, but a queue of
about 5 to pay. I was just looking.

I wonder if the panic is over now. I could see in the priority hour
tomorrow at Sainsburys. Did go last night and they had a number of
things that were deleted from my Tescos delivery order for Tuesday.
Marmaduke Jinks
2020-03-22 23:28:12 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
Some one pointed out on the news that NHS workers should not be coming at
the early time that some supermarkets have given them. This is just before
the allotted time for the elderly, vulnerable and disabled (EVD) and they
may easily pass any virus that they have, from dealing with those who have
it, on to that EVD group.

MJ
Nick Odell
2020-03-23 02:36:47 UTC
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 23:28:12 -0000, "Marmaduke Jinks"
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
Some one pointed out on the news that NHS workers should not be coming at
the early time that some supermarkets have given them. This is just before
the allotted time for the elderly, vulnerable and disabled (EVD) and they
may easily pass any virus that they have, from dealing with those who have
it, on to that EVD group.
Maybe everybody should just stay at home and wait for their drone
delivery of a slice of this lasagne.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/mar/21/a-lasagne-the-size-of-wembley-whatsapp-joke-swallowed-whole

Nick
steve hague
2020-03-23 08:57:54 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
It seems to me that the feeding frenzy has largely finished, at least
hereabouts. At Aldi yesterday and Tesco today people seemed to be
shopping more or less normally, and there were few empty shelves. Except
Tesco were running low on beer for some reason.
2020-03-23 09:09:52 UTC
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 08:57:54 +0000, steve hague
Post by steve hague
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:22:37 +0000, Jenny M Benson
I wonder if the panic is over now. I could see in the priority hour
tomorrow at Sainsburys. Did go last night and they had a number of
things that were deleted from my Tescos delivery order for Tuesday.
It seems to me that the feeding frenzy has largely finished, at least
hereabouts. At Aldi yesterday and Tesco today people seemed to be
shopping more or less normally, and there were few empty shelves. Except
Tesco were running low on beer for some reason.
Steve
I have been checking tomorrow's Tesco delivery list off and on and
some of the items removed as not available were available last night
:)
But I went round the edge of Sainsburys carpart on my walk this
morning and it was pretty busy. There was a man at the entrance who
was presumably checking who went in. Many old people were coming out
with trolleys and, peering in through the window, the checkouts had 2
or 3 people waiting in line. The store looked not too crowded. I had
thought of going in the special OAP/crip hour Wednesday or Friday.

Some people coming out had jackets that i thought might be NHS but are
they not a differnt day in Sainsburys? Also NHS and OAP should
pperhaps not mix. Risky for the OAPs.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-03-23 10:31:35 UTC
Post by steve hague
It seems to me that the feeding frenzy has largely finished, at least
hereabouts. At Aldi yesterday and Tesco today people seemed to be
shopping more or less normally, and there were few empty shelves. Except
Tesco were running low on beer for some reason.
Steve
I hope so: I'm going to have a try probably tomorrow, mainly just for
milk and bread.

I fear it (the crazy behaviour) will take off again if they announce any
more movement restrictions, e. g. this afternoon. )-:
Some people coming out had jackets that i thought might be NHS but are
they not a differnt day in Sainsburys? Also NHS and OAP should
pperhaps not mix. Risky for the OAPs.
At least one of the stores I'd heard the Special Hour is only Mondays,
Wednesdays, and Fridays. Sainsburys, when I checked their website
earlier this morning (I wanted to know when the special hours were so as
_not_ to go then, as I don't qualify [59 until next month, and - touch
wood - no health condition that I know of]), it was 8-9 for vulnerables,
and "before they open" i. e. 7:30-8 for NHS (and possibly other similar
categories).
3

Once you've started swinging, chimp-like, through the branches of your family
tree, you might easily end up anywhere. - Alexander Armstrong, RT 2014/8/23-29
carolet
2020-03-23 11:53:39 UTC
It seems that all the big supermarkets have chosen to open at the same
time - 8 to 9 am - to vulnerable and elderly customers only.  All
supermarkets are at least one bus ride from here and as from to-day the
buses are only operating a Sunday service.  That means the first bus to
leave here will be at 9.07 am.
The nearest supermarket is a rather small Co-op.  The Co-op, of which I
am a member, is the only one (1) from whom I have not had any sort of
communication about current arrangements.
(1) Well, not Lidl or Aldi either, but not a customer so they don't have
my e-mail address.
I agree that it will be a difficult time for some of these customers to
get there, but presumably the time was chosen so that the shelves are
full, and they can find what they need.
2020-03-23 12:52:49 UTC
It seems that all the big supermarkets have chosen to open at the same
time - 8 to 9 am - to vulnerable and elderly customers only.  All
supermarkets are at least one bus ride from here and as from to-day the
buses are only operating a Sunday service.  That means the first bus to
leave here will be at 9.07 am.
The nearest supermarket is a rather small Co-op.  The Co-op, of which I
am a member, is the only one (1) from whom I have not had any sort of
communication about current arrangements.
(1) Well, not Lidl or Aldi either, but not a customer so they don't have
my e-mail address.
I agree that it will be a difficult time for some of these customers to
get there, but presumably the time was chosen so that the shelves are
full, and they can find what they need.
First bus from here is 8.20 to local shopping centre. Or for Reading, from
05.30 - but as Wokingham hasn’t agreed to free bus pass, all this is
immaterial bar Saturdays. The bottom line is as I can’t reach top shelves I
can’t go shopping.

Sincerely Chris
Joe Kerr
2020-03-23 13:00:55 UTC
The bottom line is as I can’t reach top shelves I
can’t go shopping.
Sincerely Chris
If you ask nicely I'm sure somebody will hand a magazine down to you.
Ric
Mike
2020-03-23 13:51:29 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
 The bottom line is as I can’t reach top shelves I
can’t go shopping.
Sincerely Chris
If you ask nicely I'm sure somebody will hand a magazine down to you.
And spank you with it

</mode=VictoriaWood>
Mike
2020-03-23 15:53:57 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
 The bottom line is as I can’t reach top shelves I
can’t go shopping.
Sincerely Chris
If you ask nicely I'm sure somebody will hand a magazine down to you.
And spank you with it
</mode=VictoriaWood>
That’s only available with copies of Womans’ Weekly isn’t it?

2020-03-24 06:08:12 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Chris McMillan
The bottom line is as I can’t reach top shelves I
can’t go shopping.
If you ask nicely I'm sure somebody will hand a magazine down to you.
BTN, Joe?
No. It made me laugh[1] but it's not BT, I'm afraid.

[1]Thank you, Joe.
Joe Kerr
2020-03-24 22:27:48 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Chris McMillan
The bottom line is as I can’t reach top shelves I
can’t go shopping.
If you ask nicely I'm sure somebody will hand a magazine down to you.
BTN, Joe?
No.  It made me laugh[1] but it's not BT, I'm afraid.
[1]Thank you, Joe.
My pleasure Sid. I quite agree with your decision.
--
Ric