OT - Great Pottery Throw Down
Add Reply
Min
2020-03-12 01:45:59 UTC
I've watched this since series 1 and enjoyed it. As far as
I can see from Google it hasn't been discussed here. Any
otherrats fans? I am particularly interested as to whether
the Purple Potter enjoys it, or finds it An Abomination Unto
Nuggan? This is the sort of thing I might ask in a PM on FB,
but I thought I'd Be More Umratically Inclusive....I was
mildly surprised at tonight's winner (no spoilers) but thought
the reason given were valid - but would not be surprised to
be Vehememtly Disagreed With.
Min
Min
...or even Vehemently
Jane Vernon
2020-03-12 09:33:13 UTC
Post by Min
I've watched this since series 1 and enjoyed it. As far as
I can see from Google it hasn't been discussed here. Any
otherrats fans? I am particularly interested as to whether
the Purple Potter enjoys it, or finds it An Abomination Unto
Nuggan? This is the sort of thing I might ask in a PM on FB,
but I thought I'd Be More Umratically Inclusive....I was
mildly surprised at tonight's winner (no spoilers) but thought
the reason given were valid - but would not be surprised to
be Vehememtly Disagreed With.
I watch and very much enjoy it, but I don't necessarily watch it in real
time. I think I have two episodes waiting to be watched at the moment.
--
Jane
BTME

2020-03-12 10:43:40 UTC
On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 09:33:13 +0000, Jane Vernon
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Min
I've watched this since series 1 and enjoyed it. As far as
I can see from Google it hasn't been discussed here. Any
otherrats fans? I am particularly interested as to whether
the Purple Potter enjoys it, or finds it An Abomination Unto
Nuggan? This is the sort of thing I might ask in a PM on FB,
but I thought I'd Be More Umratically Inclusive....I was
mildly surprised at tonight's winner (no spoilers) but thought
the reason given were valid - but would not be surprised to
be Vehememtly Disagreed With.
I watch and very much enjoy it, but I don't necessarily watch it in real
time. I think I have two episodes waiting to be watched at the moment.
Likewise, and I seem to have missed one episode altogether - probably when
I switched from recording the late-night repeat to the original broadcast
and assumed two recorded close together were the same episode and deleted
one without checking :(
Min
2020-03-12 19:28:06 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Min
[...]
Mmmm - I'd check again if I were you Penny - until I remembered to record it,
I watched On Demand, and iPlayer behaved Very Oddly - refusing to let me
watch it on, say, Thursday at midnight, as it was due to be broadcast
on Sunday at 3 a.m! Episode 5 was particularly problematic IIRC....
I *do* like the new presenter!
Min
Jane Vernon
2020-03-14 17:22:15 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Min
[...]
I think it isn't you. I also found a missing episode for no reason, but
I managed to watch it on More4.

Jane
Penny
2020-03-14 21:17:56 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Min
[...]
In fact, I now realise, I have the two most recent episodes in a folder
called 'New_The Great Pottery Throwdown" and one, from the end of Feb, in a
folder called "The Great Pottery Throwdown".

I hate the way my recorder labels a lot (but not all) programmes with the
prefix 'New' - it messes with the alphabet and makes things hard to find :(
Min
2020-03-15 00:25:20 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Min
[...]
Delighted to hear it!
Post by Penny
I hate the way my recorder labels a lot (but not all) programmes with the
prefix 'New' - it messes with the alphabet and makes things hard to find :(
Is it just the default the way Windoze calls all your stuff Document? Can
you name your folders yourself?
Min
Min
2020-03-15 00:26:38 UTC
Post by Penny
I hate the way my recorder labels a lot (but not all) programmes with the
prefix 'New' - it messes with the alphabet and makes things hard to find :(
Is it just the default the way Windoze calls all your stuff Document? Can
you name your folders yourself?
--
Min
PS. Not iPlayer of course - More4. Thanks, Jane.
Min
Penny
2020-03-15 09:46:28 UTC
On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 17:25:20 -0700 (PDT), Min <***@googlemail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Penny
I hate the way my recorder labels a lot (but not all) programmes with the
prefix 'New' - it messes with the alphabet and makes things hard to find :(
Is it just the default the way Windoze calls all your stuff Document? Can
you name your folders yourself?
It invents the folders when I ask it to record a series. Sometimes it takes
the name from the 'special' which heralds a new series later on, so I have
a couple of folders with 'Christmas' in their name. I could rename the
folders but it's a faff to use an on screen keyboard with a remote control
and, chances are, that would isolate the progs I've already got from any
new episodes which would be put in a new folder with the old name.

I can move stuff from folder to folder but this is also a major faff and
not something you can do while watching something as the screen is obscured
by the folders list.
Min
2020-03-16 00:39:43 UTC
It invents the folders when I ask it to record a series. Sometimes it takes
the name from the 'special' which heralds a new series later on, so I have
a couple of folders with 'Christmas' in their name. I could rename the
folders but it's a faff to use an on screen keyboard with a remote control
and, chances are, that would isolate the progs I've already got from any
new episodes which would be put in a new folder with the old name.
I can move stuff from folder to folder but this is also a major faff and
not something you can do while watching something as the screen is obscured
by the folders list.
Understood. I used to curse TalkTalk (why I switched) but Virgin is even less intuitive and annoying.
Min
Penny
2020-03-16 09:58:41 UTC
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 17:39:43 -0700 (PDT), Min <***@googlemail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Min
Post by Penny
It invents the folders when I ask it to record a series. Sometimes it takes
the name from the 'special' which heralds a new series later on, so I have
a couple of folders with 'Christmas' in their name. I could rename the
folders but it's a faff to use an on screen keyboard with a remote control
and, chances are, that would isolate the progs I've already got from any
new episodes which would be put in a new folder with the old name.
I can move stuff from folder to folder but this is also a major faff and
not something you can do while watching something as the screen is obscured
by the folders list.
Understood. I used to curse TalkTalk (why I switched) but Virgin is even less intuitive and annoying.
I know nothing of which you speak. My recorder is an aging Humax Freesat
box which has not yet been replaced because the new ones don't have scart
and I haven't figured out how else to get the signal to the kitchen TV via
an ancient video player with a coax rtf out.
2020-03-16 10:09:35 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Penny
[...]
How about using one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-GANA-Adapter-source-recorder/dp/B07FP83FK2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

hdmi out of the new box into the convertor and then scart onwards?
2020-03-16 10:46:23 UTC
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 10:09:35 +0000, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
I know nothing of which you speak. My recorder is an aging Humax Freesat
box which has not yet been replaced because the new ones don't have scart
and I haven't figured out how else to get the signal to the kitchen TV via
an ancient video player with a coax rtf out.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-GANA-Adapter-source-recorder/dp/B07FP83FK2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
hdmi out of the new box into the convertor and then scart onwards?
That looks like the solution - thank you.
Although the new box will only have one hdmi port so I think I'll need some
sort of splitter too unless I scart from video player to TV.

Mined ewe, a quick look on Amazon (who still don't understand that freesat
and freeview are not the same thing) shows I may be able to get an
ex-display model with scart. It also shows the price seems to have shot up
on new ones since I last looked.

Maybe it's time to get a TV aerial (rare in these parts), at least the
signal wouldn't be scrambled when it's raining/snowing.
2020-03-16 22:59:56 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Penny
[...]
I'm a bit lost too - we have a TiVo box from Virgin which puts all the
programmes from a series, whether a new one or not, in one folder. It's
quite an old one, though - we probably ought to think about updating it.
Though possibly not if it's going to scramble the recordings. Why do you
find it unintuitive, Min?
Min
2020-03-16 23:28:08 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Min
Post by Penny
[...]
It may be because the Virgin Engineers nuggered off without telling me
anything but...
I still need my TV remote because the two aren't synced.
When I switch to 'Guide' I would prefer it to stay on the channel I am
watching, rather then go back to 100.
Sometimes it resumes when I've got it on pause, without rhyme or reason
that I can see.
Some channels cut off the recording before it's over.
It records some very odd programmes it thinks I would like.
On TalkTalk, I could mostly watch a programme by selecting it from
the Guide for a couple of days, now I have to go to CatchUp.
Weird general stuff like not being able to watch a programme because
it is being shown again at some time in the future.
Min
Peter Withey
2020-03-17 10:35:18 UTC
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 16:28:08 -0700 (PDT), Min
Post by Min
Post by Kate B
Post by Min
Post by Penny
[...]
Hopefully this link will help with that problem.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-using-tv-remote
Post by Min
When I switch to 'Guide' I would prefer it to stay on the channel I am
watching, rather then go back to 100.
Mine does. Current channel place as picture in picture in the top
right hand corner.

Check Help > settings
Post by Min
Sometimes it resumes when I've got it on pause, without rhyme or reason
that I can see.
Very rarely use pause, when I do it's never more than a few minutes.
Never restarted before I was ready.

I'm not near the TV atm but again is there a setting that controls the
length of time before resuming?
Post by Min
Some channels cut off the recording before it's over.
Probably due to the programme starting late and can be cured by
extending the length of the recording. I automatically add 10 minutes
which usually solves the problem.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-manage-tv-box-recordings
Post by Min
It records some very odd programmes it thinks I would like.
settings>recordings>suggestions:

No, do not record suggestions.

Hope this helps.
Pete
Penny
2020-03-17 12:09:43 UTC
On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:35:18 +0000, Peter Withey <***@never.here> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Min
It may be because the Virgin Engineers nuggered off without telling me
anything but...
Sometimes it resumes when I've got it on pause, without rhyme or reason
that I can see.
Very rarely use pause, when I do it's never more than a few minutes.
Never restarted before I was ready.
I realise my box is a very different animal but mine does this too because
it has a 2 hour buffer to allow pause, rewind etc, so if it reaches the end
of a 2 hour chunk while you are on pause (or have jumped backwards a bit)
it will jump to the beginning of the new chunk but should then let you
rewind to your pause point. Mine actually displays where it is on the
current buffer when I press pause.
Min
2020-03-18 00:43:35 UTC
Post by Peter Withey
Mine does. Current channel place as picture in picture in the top
right hand corner.
(Everything else in your post was Very Helpful - for which many thanks!)
So does mine, but I would *like* (as in my last setup) the list of 'Upcoming'
to refer to the Channel I'm on, rather than have to scroll down a vast distance
to see what the next programme is. Unless I have fallen into a really bad
narcoleptic state I normally *know* what programme I am actually watching!
Min
Peter Withey
2020-03-18 10:47:07 UTC
On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 17:43:35 -0700 (PDT), Min
Post by Min
Post by Peter Withey
Mine does. Current channel place as picture in picture in the top
right hand corner.
(Everything else in your post was Very Helpful - for which many thanks!)
So does mine, but I would *like* (as in my last setup) the list of 'Upcoming'
to refer to the Channel I'm on, rather than have to scroll down a vast distance
to see what the next programme is. Unless I have fallen into a really bad
narcoleptic state I normally *know* what programme I am actually watching!
Pleased to be of some help but I'm not sure what you are looking for.
in your earlier post you refer to "Talk Talk", is this where you were
able to see a list of "upcoming" programmes? If yes, apart from
pressing the "info" button on the channel you are watching which shows
you only the "next" programme up on that channel I don't think it's
available on VM boxes.

Pressing "Guide" lists all channels with, starting in my case with
BBC1, what is currently showing followed by the rest the rest of the
day. It has never listed the current channel I'm viewing first.
Pressing "green" while in the "Guide" gives various options but not
one that will help you. At least I don't think so.

I don't know whether the "favourite" channels section here helps.
At least it will cut down the number of channels you have to scroll
through.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-renaming-tv-box

Hope this helps.
Pete
Min
2020-03-18 20:02:40 UTC
On Wednesday, 18 March 2020 10:47:09 UTC, Peter Withey wrote:
is this where you were
Post by Peter Withey
able to see a list of "upcoming" programmes? If yes, apart from
pressing the "info" button on the channel you are watching which shows
you only the "next" programme up on that channel I don't think it's
available on VM boxes.
As I suspected!
Post by Peter Withey
Pressing "Guide" lists all channels with, starting in my case with
BBC1, what is currently showing followed by the rest the rest of the
day. It has never listed the current channel I'm viewing first.
Pressing "green" while in the "Guide" gives various options but not
one that will help you. At least I don't think so.
I'll try that...
Post by Peter Withey
I don't know whether the "favourite" channels section here helps.
At least it will cut down the number of channels you have to scroll
through.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-renaming-tv-box
I did wonder about that, but I do tend to watch one channel almost
exclusively, except for Favourite things that appear and disappear.
Then something comes up on the current almost-exclusive channel that
I don't like, and it gets deserted. As I don't get a paper most days
or channel listing magazines except for a Christmas RT. Not to
mention, as a narcoleptic, I often have to watch a show five or six
times.....
Min
BrritSki
2020-03-18 20:51:49 UTC
969 ?
Min
2020-03-18 21:19:06 UTC
Post by Min
I did wonder about that, but I do tend to watch one channel almost
exclusively
969 ?
Nope! I used to be Quest, then 5USA, ATM ITV3 is rarely left as I'm
enjoying Scott & Bailey (missed first time) and then there's yer Classic
British Cop Shows. I prefer my porn to be reading material - the
pictures are so much better....I'm a woman - most sex is in the head.
(Feedlines R Min)
Min
Mike
2020-03-19 08:31:23 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Min
I did wonder about that, but I do tend to watch one channel almost
exclusively
969 ?
Nope! I used to be Quest, then 5USA, ATM ITV3 is rarely left as I'm
enjoying Scott & Bailey (missed first time) and then there's yer Classic
British Cop Shows. I prefer my porn to be reading material - the
pictures are so much better....I'm a woman - most sex is in the head.
(Feedlines R Min)
I find that it difficult to swallow.
2020-03-18 22:09:03 UTC
On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 20:51:49 +0000, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Min
I did wonder about that, but I do tend to watch one channel almost
exclusively
969 ?
That's BBC Two NI on my box.
Min
2020-03-19 01:13:44 UTC
Post by Min
I did wonder about that, but I do tend to watch one channel almost
exclusively
969 ?
That's BBC Two NI on my box.
It's Adult Previews fom 10pm on mine. Shall we guess which one BrrritSki
meant? ;-)
Min
BrritSki
It was carefully researched for Min's Virgin setup :)
Penny
2020-03-19 10:48:03 UTC
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 08:09:10 +0000, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
Post by Min
I did wonder about that, but I do tend to watch one channel almost
exclusively
969 ?
That's BBC Two NI on my box.
It was carefully researched for Min's Virgin setup :)
Looks adventurous for Virgins - has the first 9 turned hir back on
proceedings?
BTN ! (but I know it's MV) :)
Sid Nuncius
2020-03-19 08:29:48 UTC
Post by Min
I did wonder about that, but I do tend to watch one channel almost
exclusively
969 ?
The ‘English’ of course.
2020-03-17 16:53:33 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Kate B
Post by Min
Post by Penny
[...]
That's bizarre.

I think you can turn off the 'recording suggested programmes' somewhere.
And if you use 'Series Link' you can specify which series (all or
current, including streaming or not, etc) which should enable you to
watch a particular programme regardless whether it is showing again or
not, and it will automatically record all programmes in the series even
if they change the schedule or the length.

If you have a tablet (or phone, though it's stupidly tiny on a phone)
you can download a Virgin app which more or less replicates the setup on
your TiVo, and which I find easier to manipulate than the TV interface.
You can consult the guide and set recordings (all mine are set to 1 min
before and 4 minutes after, which very rarely fails to catch it all). If
you can find your way round the tablet app you should find the onscreen
TiVo one easier.

There's also a way to sync the tv and TiVo remotes though I can't
remember how. We only really use it for volume control.
Min
2020-03-18 00:43:55 UTC
Thank you all for the above suggestions! I shall try them all when a Tuit
surfaces.
Sam Plusnet
2020-03-12 21:41:27 UTC
Post by Min
I've watched this since series 1 and enjoyed it. As far as
I can see from Google it hasn't been discussed here. Any
otherrats fans? I am particularly interested as to whether
the Purple Potter enjoys it, or finds it An Abomination Unto
Nuggan? This is the sort of thing I might ask in a PM on FB,
but I thought I'd Be More Umratically Inclusive....I was
mildly surprised at tonight's winner (no spoilers) but thought
the reason given were valid - but would not be surprised to
be Vehememtly Disagreed With.
I had no idea what this was (ye, I have now googled) and hoped it was a
greatly extended version of "The Potter's Wheel" interlude.

Hence a UK version of Norway's "Slow TV" - like the ten hour railway
journey from Trondheim to Bodø shown in real time.
a l l y
2020-03-13 00:54:14 UTC
"Min" wrote in message news:fdf29d65-a981-44ae-84e8-***@googlegroups.com...

I've watched this since series 1 and enjoyed it. As far as
I can see from Google it hasn't been discussed here. Any
otherrats fans? I am particularly interested as to whether
the Purple Potter enjoys it, or finds it An Abomination Unto
Nuggan? This is the sort of thing I might ask in a PM on FB,
but I thought I'd Be More Umratically Inclusive....I was
mildly surprised at tonight's winner (no spoilers) but thought
the reason given were valid - but would not be surprised to
be Vehememtly Disagreed With.

________________________________
I love it! Particularly lacrimose Keith.

ally
Min
2020-03-13 04:58:50 UTC
Post by a l l y
I love it! Particularly lacrimose Keith.
As a narcoleptic with a side order of cataplexy, Keith
being in tears normally puts me straight into the latter,
but I forgive him!
--
Min