Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 10th to 13th May 2021
2021-05-08 09:47:49 UTC

Cast :
Josh Archer - Angus Imrie
Brian Aldridge - Charles Collingwood
Jennifer Aldridge - Angela Piper
Alice Carter - Hollie Chapman
Chris Carter - Wilf Scolding
Neil Carter - Brian Hewlett
Susan Carter - Charlotte Martin
Vince Casey - Tony Turner
Ruairi Donovan - Arthur Hughes
Rex Fairbrother - Nick Barber
Emma Grundy - Emerald O'Hanrahan
Joy Horville - Jackie Lye
Kate Madikane - Perdita Avery
Elizabeth Pargetter - Alison Dowling
Fallon Rogers - Joanna van Kampen

Director : Rosemary Watts
Editor : Jeremy Howe
Writer : Helen Aitken
Writer : Sarah Hehir

Spoilers:
Monday 10th - Susan attempts to pick up the pieces but Jennifer’s
feeling helpless.
Tuesday 11th - Chris pulls no punches and Joy lets Elizabeth in on a secret.
Wednesday 12th - Fallon wants tongues to stop wagging but Emma can’t
hold hers any longer.
Thursday 13th - Josh and Rex walk on eggshells and Ruari offers an olive
branch.
2021-05-08 15:48:08 UTC
Director : Rosemary Watts
Editor : Jeremy Howe
Writer : Helen Aitken
Writer : Sarah Hehir
I hadn't really paid attention to these writers names before but
Google tells me that this is Helen Aitken's third outing and Sarah
Hehir has been writing since the middle of last year.

I think this is the first time they have been paired together and I
notice that Sarah Hehir has hardly ever been paired with the same
writer twice.

I'm curious about whether the pattern of pairings is based on who's
available and when; a random lucky dip; writers' own preferences or a
deliberate attempt to throw different writers together and see which
pairs gell?

2021-05-08 18:11:21 UTC
whether the pattern of pairings is based on who's
available and when
Would be my guess. Although why we have not reverted to full output is
impossible to understand.
2021-05-11 15:41:56 UTC
Director : Rosemary Watts
Editor : Jeremy Howe
Writer : Helen Aitken
Writer : Sarah Hehir
I hadn't really paid attention to these writers names before but
Google tells me that this is Helen Aitken's third outing and Sarah
Hehir has been writing since the middle of last year.
I think this is the first time they have been paired together and I
notice that Sarah Hehir has hardly ever been paired with the same
writer twice.
I'm curious about whether the pattern of pairings is based on who's
available and when; a random lucky dip; writers' own preferences or a
deliberate attempt to throw different writers together and see which
pairs gell?
Nick
It looks rather like a deliberate attempt to try all possible pairings.
So far this year we've had:

Caroline Harrington & Sarah Hehir - twice
Keri Davies & Naylah Ahmed - twice
Adrian Flynn & Tim Stimpson - once
Adrian Flynn & Daniel Thurman - once
Adrian Flynn & Liz John - once
Adrian Flynn & Katie Hims - once
Caroline Harrington & Nick Warburton - once
Caroline Harrington & Sarah McDonald Hughes - once
Helen Aitken & Sarah Hehir - once
Helen Aitken & Katie Hims - once
Julie Beckett & Tim Stimpson - once
Katie Hims & Liz John - once
Katie Hims & Daniel Thurman - once
Keri Davies & Sarah Hehir - once
Keri Davies & Sarah McDonald Hughes - once
Liz John & Tim Stimpson - once
Sarah McDonald Hughes & Daniel Thurman - once
Sarah McDonald Hughes & Tim Stimpson - once

Perhaps going back further would show more of a pattern, but I can't be
bothered to do that.

I had been assuming that each writer was writing two episodes more or
less independently, in much the same way that they had previously been
writing six episodes at a time. Clearly something must be done to ensure
that everything goes seemlessly from one writer to the next and perhaps
some consultation might be needed between one writer and the next, but
maybe everything is co-ordinated by the editor, directors or some such.
If so, perhaps there is not much benefit in having particular pairs of
writers working on a single week, no more than there would previously
have been having a particular pairs work on a single fortnight.
2021-05-11 15:45:01 UTC
[...]
Elsewhere I believe Keri has said they are not writing to the normal
lead times and so they are writing two days each as that is all they can
manage between setting the week's contents and needing to deliver it to
management. I assume this is a paper bag which management has devised
and cannot now fight their way out to normality.
2021-05-11 20:55:34 UTC
[...]
Gosh! Thanks for that.

I am now imagining The Archers' version of those giant scriptwriters
conferences so beloved of producers of American TV soaps but now
conducted on Zoom. I imagine them discussing the next six years and
six months and then getting down to the detail of the next six weeks
where the editor sends them off as pairs to write their portion of
what had been agreed in the group discussion. I guess it helps the
programme flow between writers and avoids too many gaffes where no
character this week mentions that scene in the village last week where
(say) a low-loader ran out of control down the village and the giant
cast-iron pipe it was carrying broke free and demolished The Bull and
five other houses.

Nick
PS I found tonight's episode totally absorbing. At the end of it I was
still standing by the sink but I hadn't washed up a thing.
Mike McMillan
2021-05-12 07:44:40 UTC
[...]
Ah but Nick, was it the scene with the Jumbo Jet crashing onto Gay Grables
thus wiping out the entire staff and ensuring an insurance claim would
pay-off all Ollie’s debts, or, the scene with the Fire Appliances on their
way to GG that were just too much weight on the bridge over the Am and
crashed into the river and thereby also causing pollution as all the fuel
leaked into the water, or, was it the scene where Alliss threw Martha into
the gin still when she couldn’t open the valve to get a swig, or was it the
scene where the bank robbers were making their getaway when they ran over
Jim as he was leaving the shop, or, was it the scene with the Bull being
overwhelmed by the flood caused by the Am being blocked by the Fire
Appliance….. Altogether the usual sort of mundane day that the locals
witness in Ambridge - or was it something in the last 10 minutes of the
tale that grabbed your attention that I have forgotten about Nick?
2021-05-12 08:12:44 UTC
On Wed, 12 May 2021 07:44:40 GMT, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
That's done it!

You've totally ruined Sunday enjoyment for OmniRats :-(

I hope you are pleased with yourself for that.

2021-05-12 08:34:14 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Yes, but I’ve only mentioned / given away some of what happened in the
first 2.5 mins - the rest awaits all omnirats!