OT - RL
Add Reply
Min
2020-03-21 21:04:53 UTC
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
John Ashby
2020-03-21 22:15:28 UTC
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
There's a considerable loss of taste on umra, but I think that predates
covid-19

john
Min
2020-03-22 03:44:13 UTC
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
There's a considerable loss of taste on umra, but I think that predates
covid-19
john
:-) Well, according to Google, this post has had zero views, (it was very
clever of you to reply so appositely without seeing it!) but I do hope
people have noted it and I'm Not Feeling Paranoid Abd Ignored At All.
--
Min
hope that people have noted it.
Min
2020-03-22 03:45:16 UTC
Post by Min
Post by John Ashby
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
There's a considerable loss of taste on umra, but I think that predates
covid-19
john
:-) Well, according to Google, this post has had zero views, (it was very
clever of you to reply so appositely without seeing it!) but I do hope
people have noted it and I'm Not Feeling Paranoid Abd Ignored At All.
--
Min
hope that people have noted it.
Abd was a typo, not an indication I have a cold...
Min
Min
2020-03-22 04:28:33 UTC
As promised, I apologise, it was widely circulated and is yesterday's news
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-symptoms-taste-smell-loss-ear-nose-throat-a9416226.html
BrritSki
2020-03-22 08:05:38 UTC
Post by Min
As promised, I apologise, it was widely circulated and is yesterday's news
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-symptoms-taste-smell-loss-ear-nose-throat-a9416226.html
Not something I was aware of, but I am as of a few minutes ago when I
read your post :)

Thanks - useful information to share...

I did not lose those senses when this infection started, only when I
became todally blocked up. Cough continues, still no fever and don;t
feel very ill, so doubt if I have it, but who knows until we get an
anti-body test.
Chris McMillan
2020-03-23 10:25:13 UTC
Post by Min
As promised, I apologise, it was widely circulated and is yesterday's news
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-symptoms-taste-smell-loss-ear-nose-throat-a9416226.html
Not something I was aware of, but I am as of a few minutes ago when I
read your post :)
Thanks - useful information to share...
I did not lose those senses when this infection started, only when I
became todally blocked up. Cough continues, still no fever and don;t
feel very ill, so doubt if I have it, but who knows until we get an
anti-body test.
https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/coronavirus-urgent-appeal-for-brits-to-work-on-farms?fbclid=IwAR1yz3VTD0hCjLktyMAi6o8XzEBbItEuEKQZg2bJDvJg5lLqw7xwFxDbPr4

Fancy a job, Britters? Pity it’s not olives.

Sincereky Chris
BrritSki
2020-03-23 10:36:41 UTC
I'll leave it for someone who needs work thanks...
Penny
2020-03-22 08:51:14 UTC
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 20:44:13 -0700 (PDT), Min <***@googlemail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Min
Post by John Ashby
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
There's a considerable loss of taste on umra, but I think that predates
covid-19
john
:-) Well, according to Google, this post has had zero views, (it was very
clever of you to reply so appositely without seeing it!) but I do hope
people have noted it and I'm Not Feeling Paranoid Abd Ignored At All.
I read it and thought that loss of smell and taste is an early sign of a
common cold.

Usenet proper is something Google doesn't understand and won't be able to
mine for data unless they provide an actual news server which might be able
to count downloads.
2020-03-22 23:46:57 UTC
Post by Min
Post by John Ashby
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
There's a considerable loss of taste on umra, but I think that predates
covid-19
john
:-) Well, according to Google, this post has had zero views, (it was very
clever of you to reply so appositely without seeing it!) but I do hope
people have noted it and I'm Not Feeling Paranoid Abd Ignored At All.
I read it and thought that loss of smell and taste is an early sign of a
common cold.
It is.
The BBC [1] have published a list of symptoms but, whilst they did
mention right at the end:

"The early symptoms can easily be confused with other winter bugs
including colds and flu."

I think that point should have been made rather more strongly.

[1] for example.
Min
2020-03-23 01:14:32 UTC
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. - I meant this!
"The early symptoms can easily be confused with other winter bugs
including colds and flu."
I think that point should have been made rather more strongly.
[1] for example.
Sorry, Sam - this is *not* directed at you. I shared this on FB
as well and the reaction has astounded me. As an asthmatic, I have
rarely not coughed three times a day since 5 years old. I know all about
colds and their symptoms. So I was keeping an eye (literally - I am not
in possession of a thermometer ATM) whether I felt feverish
as a guide. When I heard this, I thought wow! I have never lost
taste and smell *without any other symptoms* (with a stinking cold, sure).
So I *thought* this might alert some people in a timely fashion. The reaction
was if I'd shouted fire in a crowded theatre. I was trying to help, and since
it was in the papers the same day, I wish I hadn't bothered.
Min
steveski
2020-03-23 01:44:41 UTC
[...]
I was in a queue the other day and I coughed (as I frequently do because
of the gaspers) you could see people visibly distancing themselves.

When I said "Sorry - smoker's cough" there was much hilarity and
relief :-)
2020-03-23 11:21:40 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]
We don’t all read noospapers, Min

Sincerely Chris
Min
2020-03-24 00:22:33 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]
Oh, indeed, Chris - and obviously nobody had, because nobody posted "We know
this". But people are still posting atuff (like KRW below) suggesting
(obliquely or otherwise) that it was a waste of time posting it. So even if
I have the Chief Medical Officer assuring me in person that the first symptom
is a mysterious blue mushroom appearing between the toes, I won't bother.
--
Min
'Oh, that, happens every year at this time....oh, yeah, well-known side
effect of wearing blue socks....'
Chris McMillan
2020-03-22 09:41:28 UTC
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information
has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was
quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the
first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
Not read that anywhere, thanks Min. None of my friends in China that are
in regular contact have had it thankfully.

2020-03-23 02:07:20 UTC
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 at 09:41:28, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information
has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was
quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the
first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought
it was worth knowing.
Not read that anywhere, thanks Min. None of my friends in China that are
in regular contact have had it thankfully.
Sincerely Chris
I've seen the loss of taste mentioned elsewhere; I suggested the
audience figures for some TV programmes should be monitored ... (-:

"Bother," said the Borg, "we assimilated a Pooh."
krw
2020-03-23 14:49:59 UTC
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
I lost both of those years ago. So have I had it all this time?
Min
2020-03-24 00:39:23 UTC
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
I lost both of those years ago. So have I had it all this time?
Sorry, KRW, I know perfectly well that you were only trying to make
an amusing point and I have no wish to belittle anosmia (I have two
very good friends who have it, so they cannot benefit either),
but it was very useful to me. Obviously IAOU and FB.
I am just gobsmacked at the amount of reaction I got and the type.
Min
BrritSki
2020-03-24 08:44:35 UTC
Post by Min
Post by krw
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
I lost both of those years ago. So have I had it all this time?
Sorry, KRW, I know perfectly well that you were only trying to make
an amusing point and I have no wish to belittle anosmia (I have two
very good friends who have it, so they cannot benefit either),
but it was very useful to me. Obviously IAOU and FB.
I am just gobsmacked at the amount of reaction I got and the type.
There are a lot of keyboard warrior snowflakes out there with even less
to fill their time now :(

YANAOU - I found your post useful and believe I said so <fx: checks>
yes, on the 22nd. Interestingly it was only a few weeks ago that my
sense of sell returned after an absence of quite some time, thanks, I
believe, to the treatments I am having to help with my lungs and the
longer term treatment to keep nasal polyps at bay - mmm, that smells
nice :)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-03-24 16:12:13 UTC
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 08:44:35, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
sense of sell returned after an absence of quite some time, thanks, I
[]
Frequent ebayer? (-:

The best way to achieve immortality is by not dying.
krw
2020-03-24 14:26:57 UTC
Post by Min
Post by krw
Post by Min
Sharemongering and caremongering, not scaremongering. If this information has been widely distributed, I apologise, but a doctor on R5 said it was quite a new discovery...for some people who go on to develop Covid19, the first (and only) symptom they get is loss of taste and smell. Thought it was worth knowing.
I lost both of those years ago. So have I had it all this time?
Sorry, KRW, I know perfectly well that you were only trying to make
an amusing point and I have no wish to belittle anosmia (I have two
very good friends who have it, so they cannot benefit either),
but it was very useful to me. Obviously IAOU and FB.
I am just gobsmacked at the amount of reaction I got and the type.
It was merely an attempt to raise a smile and I am sorry if I failed.

More seriously back in December my wife had a strange "cold" during
which she was not snotty but coughed a lot. I felt distinctly unwell
for a number of days but had neither cough or cold. We have a friend
who had a distinctly bad cough through large chunks of December -
February. Is it possible that the virus was around even then, that we
have had it and do not know it and that we are therefore safe to be out
and about and carousing?
Anne B
2020-03-24 16:36:33 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Min
[...]
I also have a friend who had a similar experience last autumn, and
wondered the same thing.

In which case one has to ask why she didn't infect all around her? Maybe
when the crisis has passed we should test people who experienced that
and see if there is something to be learned about it?

Anne B