OT: Ask EU - not elision
2019-07-07 07:49:21 UTC
In french when you say "vous vous appelez" you sound the s in the second
vous because the next word starts with a vowel (much as we do with a/an).

What is this called please ? I know the word, but can't umbrella it...

TIA
Dumrat
2019-07-07 08:29:23 UTC
In french when you say "vous vous appelez" you sound the s in the second vous because the
next word starts with a vowel (much as we do with a/an).
What is this called please ?  I know the word, but can't umbrella it...
TIA
Liaison? Not dangerous, fortunately.
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
BrritSki

Merci beaucoup...
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-07 08:39:21 UTC
In french when you say "vous vous appelez" you sound the s in the second
vous because the next word starts with a vowel (much as we do with a/an).
What is this called please ?  I know the word, but can't umbrella it...
TIA
Kyrie elision?

I'll get me cassock.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-07-07 08:53:44 UTC
Epenthesis?
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-07 09:59:49 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Epenthesis?
Bless you.
Steve Hague
2019-07-07 13:10:22 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Epenthesis?
Best treated with penicilin I believe.
2019-07-07 13:19:46 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Epenthesis?
Best treated with penicilin I believe.
Steve
I’ve heard the patches are rubbish.
2019-07-07 14:42:54 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Epenthesis?
Best treated with penicilin I believe.
Steve
I’ve heard the patches are rubbish.
Their second album wasn't too bad.
2019-07-07 15:24:53 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Epenthesis?
Best treated with penicilin I believe.
Steve
I’ve heard the patches are rubbish.
Their second album wasn't too bad.
I shared the thread with bro. In answer to the original question, he
say: "The answer is indeed 'liaison'. (Thought it was, but looked it up
in the OED to check. And it is.)"

Excellent thread, very UMRAtic. A good UMRA thread - if read in
quickfire mode - has the same effect as a Goon Show script (someone just
sent me this link
http://www.hexmaster.com/goonscripts/what_time_is_it.html, which gave me
a smile - though UMRA often makes me GOL).

I hope you dream a pig.
Flop
2019-07-07 18:48:38 UTC
Excellent thread, very UMRAtic. A good UMRA thread - if read in
quickfire mode - has the same effect as a Goon Show script (someone just
sent me this link
http://www.hexmaster.com/goonscripts/what_time_is_it.html, which gave me
a smile - though UMRA often makes me GOL).
In similar vein, may I suggest:

https://lybio.net/the-front-fell-off-mock-interview-from-clarke-and-dawe/comedy/
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
Penny
2019-07-07 10:13:09 UTC
On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 09:49:21 +0200, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
In french when you say "vous vous appelez" you sound the s in the second
vous because the next word starts with a vowel (much as we do with a/an).
What is this called please ? I know the word, but can't umbrella it...
TIA
Paragoge?
Or possibly lenition?
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-07-07 10:19:35 UTC
I thought "lenition" was something to do with Gaelic mutations.
Nick Odell
2019-07-07 14:39:55 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
I thought "lenition" was something to do with Gaelic mutations.
I thought German Red and French Pink were Gaelic mutations