OT spooky game from gransnet
2018-10-31 11:27:22 UTC
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1253891-A-Halloween-story?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Weds%2031st%20October%20-%20Gransnet%20Daily%20Newsletter&utm_content=Weds%2031st%20October%20-%20Gransnet%20Daily%20Newsletter+CID_f69511c795365565bc3c0bda1a512a55&utm_source=newsletters&utm_term=A%20Halloween%20story

We could play this?
DavidK
2018-11-01 08:53:29 UTC
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1253891-A-Halloween-story?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Weds%2031st%20October%20-%20Gransnet%20Daily%20Newsletter&utm_content=Weds%2031st%20October%20-%20Gransnet%20Daily%20Newsletter+CID_f69511c795365565bc3c0bda1a512a55&utm_source=newsletters&utm_term=A%20Halloween%20story
We could play this?
Hob whined to go out for a walk while the little drummer boy carefully
painted a skeleton on him in luminous paint. Trick'n'Treat night was
their favourite; getting hyper on the sugar was so much fun.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-11-01 09:14:08 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Vicky Ayech
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1253891-A-Halloween-story?utm_medi
um=email&utm_campaign=Weds%2031st%20October%20-%20Gransnet%20Daily%20Ne
wsletter&utm_content=Weds%2031st%20October%20-%20Gransnet%20Daily%20New
sletter+CID_f69511c795365565bc3c0bda1a512a55&utm_source=newsletters&utm
_term=A%20Halloween%20story
We could play this?
Hob whined to go out for a walk while the little drummer boy carefully
painted a skeleton on him in luminous paint. Trick'n'Treat night was
their favourite; getting hyper on the sugar was so much fun.
(-:

I hope I'm not AOU in finding this institutionalised begging (with
menaces, in theory) highly distasteful, though being a mile from the
village in the main means we're not bothered here?

I am aware of the possibility of being accused of being an old
misery-guts, wanting to spoil innocent fun. But it seems so artificial -
and also social blackmail of a sort, in that AIUI it's usually done with
parents (or similar) not too far away, for obvious (sadly, these days)
safety reasons.

I've also thought: when was the last time you saw "penny for the guy"
begging? Although I never did it, from what I remember, it was mostly -
nominally, anyway! - done to get money for fireworks, and I guess safety
concerns (can't sell them to minors, I think) probably ended that one.
(Plus the cost of fireworks, though I think those have - in relative
terms - come back down again of late.)

_On_-topic: any trick-or-treating in Ambridge? I think it has some
estates or similar big enough for it to be considered, but I've not
noticed any mention. Though we rarely hear anything about the estates
anyway - the last time I remember _much_ mention was years ago, when the
Grundys were evicted and lived there. (Or was that in a nearby town?)

A leader who keeps his ear to the ground allows his rear end to become a
target. - Angie Papadakis
Vicky Ayech
2018-11-01 09:59:56 UTC
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 09:14:08 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by DavidK
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
We didn't have the hall light on and nobody knocked. I had a delivery
coming between 8 nad 9 but we heard the van and put the light on then
:)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-11-01 10:05:43 UTC
[...]
Were you _aware_ of trick-or-treating activity at neighbouring
properties?

Would you normally have had the hall light on?

2018-11-01 11:48:54 UTC
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 10:05:43 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
[...]
I normally put it on for a delivery but didn't want to signal we were
up for trick or treating. I think we heard children going by.
chatting, but our living room has a window with pavement just outside,
so we do hear people some days., This was perhaps children later than
usual.

Having been an unwelcome house, I should tell you I did take my kids
trick or treating. And granddaughter, aged 3, was taken by her mum
last night. I'm not sure how they managed to ensure she got vegan
sweets though,. I think they went to friends' houses who would have
known to have some. Grandson, now 12, said he is too old to go.

Gransnet had suggested posters to put up to say not participating, but
a comment was that the poster has a pumpkin, kids that age can't see
or read in the dark and might take it for a welcome. I don't think it
is blackmail if the kids are taken with adults, behave and respect
houses that don't want to take part.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-11-01 19:19:14 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
<***@gmail.com> writes:
Gransnet had suggested posters to put up to say not participating, but
a comment was that the poster has a pumpkin, kids that age can't see
or read in the dark and might take it for a welcome. I don't think it
Well said. I think the only way that could be effective is with a
red-circle-with-diagonal-line.
Post by Vicky Ayech
is blackmail if the kids are taken with adults, behave and respect
houses that don't want to take part.
Very much depends on your umbrella. (Environment? Society? Social
milieu?) If all are kindred spirits, fine. But I can see it only takes
one loudmouth person - especially a (pro-T/T) parent - to label you a
"child-hater", or someone who doesn't participate in community
activities, for the mud to start to stick. (UMRA will know my views on
mobs.)

Air conditioned environment - Do not open Windows.
Fenny
2018-11-01 21:44:57 UTC
On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 11:48:54 +0000, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
Gransnet had suggested posters to put up to say not participating, but
a comment was that the poster has a pumpkin, kids that age can't see
or read in the dark and might take it for a welcome. I don't think it
is blackmail if the kids are taken with adults, behave and respect
houses that don't want to take part.
IMO, children should be accompanied (even at some distance) by a
responsible adult/older sibling, and only go to houses they know and
are expected.

There was an item on the BBC news page about kids being given ecstacy
tablets while trick or treating. So clearly they were going to houses
where people might give them dodgy things - not somewhere they knew
and were known.
2018-11-02 13:30:13 UTC
Gransnet had suggested posters to put up to say not participating,
Shirely, the whole point of Trick Or Treat is that if you DON'T
participate (ie, treat) you get tricked?

I don't think I've ever had TorTers in the 16 years I've been here. Did
have one family (inc Dad, can't remember if Mum also) in 2000 or 2001
when I was in Wrecsam town.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Mike
2018-11-01 12:01:46 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by DavidK
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
We heard nuffink - we would have ignored it if we had - but I did tune the
porch light to a lurid green.
But that's an invitation!
Mike
2018-11-01 13:36:36 UTC
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 09:14:08 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6J
We didn't have the hall light on and nobody knocked. I had a delivery
coming between 8 nad 9 but we heard the van and put the light on then
:)
We heard nuffink - we would have ignored it if we had - but I did tune the
porch light to a lurid green.
But that's an invitation!
No, ........ that was the trick;-)))
Fred
2018-11-01 15:38:44 UTC
When we had a visit from a little girl of eight or so, wife asked, "What would the trick be?"

Little girl was flummoxed as she obviously hadn't thought it through.
Fred
Mike
2018-11-01 12:00:00 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
YANAOU meet another misery guts who detests the scrounging/blackmailing
schemes. If they want gut rotting sweets or wizzo bangs - go and buy the
blo**dy things for themselves with their own s*dding money - shall I tell
you what I really feel?
2018-11-01 12:36:41 UTC
On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 12:00:00 +0000, Mike wrote:

[Halloween]
Post by Mike
YANAOU meet another misery guts who detests the scrounging/blackmailing
schemes. If they want gut rotting sweets or wizzo bangs - go and buy the
blo**dy things for themselves with their own s*dding money - shall I
tell you what I really feel?
As usual, I bought some sweets (not many) as 'small extortionist'
appeasers and, fortunately, none turned up.

<Mark Williams>

Which was nice.

</Mark Williams>
2018-11-01 13:21:47 UTC
[Halloween]
Post by Mike
YANAOU meet another misery guts who detests the scrounging/blackmailing
schemes. If they want gut rotting sweets or wizzo bangs - go and buy the
blo**dy things for themselves with their own s*dding money - shall I
tell you what I really feel?
As usual, I bought some sweets (not many) as 'small extortionist'
appeasers and, fortunately, none turned up.
<Mark Williams>
Which was nice.
</Mark Williams>
That's why I don't partake. I do not want sweets left over here for me
to get fat on. Although thinking about it I could thendonate them to
the food bank box as Sainsburys. Or Asda. Maybe I will buy some,
healthy, ones and do that anyway. Now I feel mean.
Nick Odell
2018-11-01 12:45:34 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
After years of more often than not being at work when the kids come
round or being home but not being in the mood, this year I thought I
ought to do what I could for my reputation as the geriatric git down the
road, bought a selection of sweets, put them in nice bowls, placed them
near the front door and turned all the lights on.

It turned out to be a right old Adlestrop of an evening.

2018-11-01 13:03:37 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Well done for fostering a bit of community spirit.

We didn't have trick or treat when I were nobbut a lad, but I used to go
round the local streets with a guy and knock on doors and put the
pennies towards fireworks. Which when I'd done a bit of chemistry were
bangers that were fitted with long fuses and then observed from far away
[1].

We saw our AGKs off when they went out last night though and they
thoroughly enjoyed themselves, but only went to houses with pumpkins or
other scary decorations as that is now apparently the done thing. We
weren't roubled in our 5th floor flat :)

[1] Oh, hang on, the Counter Terrorist police are at the door.
steveski
2018-11-01 13:21:00 UTC
On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 13:03:37 +0000, BrritSki wrote:

[]
We weren't roubled in our 5th floor flat :)
The Russians are controlling trick or treating now?
2018-11-01 15:57:32 UTC
I should have Putin a T !
Mike
2018-11-01 16:26:56 UTC
We weren't roubled in our 5th floor flat :)
The Russians are controlling trick or treating now?
I should have Putin a T !
I was thinking of doing a punny reply - but I moscow now.
2018-11-01 13:34:27 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Nick
I hope they were cough sweets. Someone coughed.
2018-11-01 13:20:55 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I hope I'm not AOU in finding this institutionalised begging (with
menaces, in theory) highly distasteful,
This was what I told my children when they were small and wanted to go out
begging for sweets. I was undermined a few years later when d#2 was
recruited by my best friend to accompany her grandchildren to selected
houses (including mine) on the same mission. It gave their mother a break
and Granny could stay indoors.