St Shula
Anne B
2019-05-29 22:30:28 UTC
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.

Anne B
steveski
2019-05-29 23:37:43 UTC
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Sort of, agreed; but what about all of the other stuff?
2019-05-30 06:44:40 UTC
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Sort of, agreed; but what about all of the other stuff?
Actually St Shula is not the story line that would make me want to
give up again. I don't want a who's the daddy one, Tom or Umbrella, or
do I? I don't want Ed in prison. I don't want Natasha to wriggle
right into Bridge Farm and suck the assets out.
Vicky Ayech
2019-05-30 06:41:42 UTC
On Wed, 29 May 2019 23:30:28 +0100, Anne B
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Anne B
I don't think it will happen. She is rushing in all directions like
Dougall since her divorce, trying to fill a space that was there when
married too. Mid-life crisis. Alan handled it professionally and did
the initial conversation that I imagine is supposed to happen. She
didn't like his not so enthusiastic response. I am still not sure she
is not trying to seduce another of Usha's partners.
Min
2019-06-03 01:23:01 UTC
I don't think it will happen. She is rushing in all directions like
Dougall since her divorce,
May I compliment you on that gorgeously evocative phrase and pinch it
(although I will remove the extra l....)?
Min
Vicky Ayech
2019-06-03 08:40:37 UTC
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 18:23:01 -0700 (PDT), Min
Post by Min
Post by Vicky Ayech
I don't think it will happen. She is rushing in all directions like
Dougall since her divorce,
May I compliment you on that gorgeously evocative phrase and pinch it
(although I will remove the extra l....)?
Thank you :). Please do.

Mike
2019-05-30 07:16:24 UTC
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Anne B
Alan’s guide suggests that could be 7 years or more...
Anne B

Anne B
krw
2019-05-30 10:20:15 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Mike
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Anne B
Alan’s guide suggests that could be 7 years or more...
Oh, nooaaa!
Anne B
My daughter is about to commence a counselling course and there will
need to be at least one more, so a minimum of two years. Why doesn't
Shula try that first?
2019-05-30 17:33:43 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Mike
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Alan’s guide suggests that could be 7 years or more...
Oh, nooaaa!
According to the source text, "And Nooaaa was was five hundred years
old; and Nooaaa begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth..."

So I think you can forget just seven years.
2019-05-30 17:38:13 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Mike
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Alan’s guide suggests that could be 7 years or more...
Oh, nooaaa!
According to the source text, "And Nooaaa was was five hundred years
old; and Nooaaa begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth..."
So I think you can forget just seven years.
Don’t start on the begatting - we’ll be here all night!
2019-05-30 10:56:43 UTC
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Anne B
Protracted?
Surely it is only within the last week or two that Freddie said to her
that she'd make a good vicar. Her reaction didn't sound to me as if it
was something that she had been considering. I think that that is when
the idea first occurred to her. I thought that she was rather rushing
into it by talking to Alan about it already.
2019-05-30 11:00:20 UTC
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Anne B
Protracted?
Surely it is only within the last week or two that Freddie said to her
that she'd make a good vicar. Her reaction didn't sound to me as if it
was something that she had been considering. I think that that is when
the idea first occurred to her. I thought that she was rather rushing
into it by talking to Alan about it already.
Another half-baked plot line then :-(
2019-05-30 11:24:10 UTC
Surely it is only within the last week or two that Freddie said to her
that she'd make a good vicar. Her reaction didn't sound to me as if it
was something that she had been considering. I think that that is when
the idea first occurred to her. I thought that she was rather rushing
into it by talking to Alan about it already.
Exactly. I think Alan was absolutely right when he suggested it was
part of her flailing around, trying to find some purpose and shape to
her life, post-divorce. Hopefully, she'll realise that this is the
case, when she stops to think over everything Alan said.
Post by Mike
Another half-baked plot line then :-(
Not necessarily. If it's just one of her false starts and flounderings
as she tries to find her feet it could be pretty realistic (if not
hugely enjoyable for the listeners). It would only really count as half
baked, if Alan had welcomed the suggestion with open arms and, by this
time next year, she was the Revd. Shula.

The thing which did surprise me was that Alan had said she was already a
Lay Reader. This was the first I'd heard of that, although she had been
invited to give a sermon, not so long ago, but that was clearly the
first time she'd done anything like that. My understanding was that to
become a Lay Reader, you needed to have done a fair bit of theological
training and assessments from the bishop - none of which we've heard any
mention of Shula having done.

As a lay reader, she would also have given sermons, and taken the odd
service (although nothing involving communion), many times before.
England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.
BrritSki
2019-05-30 11:28:32 UTC
The thing which did surprise me was that Alan had said she was already a
Lay Reader.  This was the first I'd heard of that...
I suspect that the SWs misplaced a comma when they read a script back
"She's a good lay, reader.
krw
2019-05-30 13:33:45 UTC
The thing which did surprise me was that Alan had said she was already
a Lay Reader.  This was the first I'd heard of that...
I suspect that the SWs misplaced a comma when they read a script back
"She's a good lay, reader.
I thought that Niggle never managed to play hide the sausage with St S?
Hbunnet
2019-05-30 17:12:56 UTC
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Anne B
The redoubtable Ruth Wishart has recently tweeted similarly.
Hbunnet
Sam Plusnet
2019-05-30 21:29:55 UTC
Post by Anne B
I am not sure I can possibly put up with the Saint's protracted
progress, or lack of it, towards ordination. I may have to give up
listening while that storyline drags on.
Sounds like a pretty severe demotion from sainthood.