Alexa and me
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-10-16 13:33:57 UTC
I wanted a wireless set for my bedroom so that my DAB set could go back
where it belongs, in the kitchen. So I bought myself an Amazon Echo Plus
to sit on the bedside table.

I said "Alexa, play Radio 4" and she played Radio 4.

I said "Alexa, play The Archers", and she played the previous day's
episode of The Archers.

I said "Alexa, what's the cube root of 3?" and she said it was 1.4422
(although she didn't specify the precision, which is naughty)

I said "Alexa, what's the square root of minus one?) and she said "the
square root of minus one is the imaginary number i".

I said "Alexa, what's the weather like in Sydney, Nova Scotia", and she
replied plausibly although I couldn't vouch for accuracy. It sounded
better than the weather in Glasgow.

In connection with a previous thread I said "Alexa, play Mad World by
Tiers for Fears" and she played just that.

I said "Alexa, play Radio 3" followed by "Alexa, set a sleep alarm for
oh oh thirty-two tomorrow and she played an interesting selection of
late-night music culmininating in the opening bars of the Madrigal
Nocturne from La Cheminée du Roi by Darius Milhaud, then stopping
leaving me to sink into the arms of Morpheus.

I said "Alexa, who is Morpheus and what is he doing in my bed?" and she
told me he was the god of dreams and sleep, and cited Ovid. I lied about
the second half of the sentence.

So far, so good. But then...

I said "Alexa, play Hallelujah" and she played the Leonard Cohen song by
some cove called Jeff Buckley who sang it in the arrangement by John
Cale. Apparently I have to specify "Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen" to hear
the original.

I said "Alexa, play Tosca", and she skipped the whole of the first act
and most of the second.

I said "Alexa, play Beethoven's 9th symphony" and she missed all but the
second half of the fourth movent.

I said "Alexa, play Carmen" and she played something contemporary and
American that had nothing to do with Spanish gypsies or bullfighters.

I said "Alexa, play Carmen by George Bizet" and she skipped a big chunk
of the first act.

I said "Alexa, play Siegfried" and she played somebody talking in German
without a tuba in earshot.

Alexa seems to have a hangup about non-popular music. Has anyrat managed
to work it out yet?
Chris J Dixon
2020-10-16 13:55:08 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I wanted a wireless set for my bedroom so that my DAB set could go back
where it belongs, in the kitchen. So I bought myself an Amazon Echo Plus
to sit on the bedside table.
I said "Alexa, play Siegfried" and she played somebody talking in German
without a tuba in earshot.
Alexa seems to have a hangup about non-popular music. Has anyrat managed
to work it out yet?
I use her to play my own music, which is ripped to MP3, and on my
NAS, using Plex. She seems unwilling to find some of my albums
when I specify the artist, though when I give the album title,
then pronounces the artist exactly as I had been doing.

We have a multi-disk audiobook, but she will only play disk one.
I created another copy, where all tracks are in one album, but
skipping a track at a time becomes painful - she won't remember
where you had got to.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-10-16 15:33:14 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I wanted a wireless set for my bedroom so that my DAB set could go back
where it belongs, in the kitchen. So I bought myself an Amazon Echo Plus
to sit on the bedside table.
I said "Alexa, play Siegfried" and she played somebody talking in German
without a tuba in earshot.
Alexa seems to have a hangup about non-popular music. Has anyrat managed
to work it out yet?
I use her to play my own music, which is ripped to MP3, and on my
NAS, using Plex. She seems unwilling to find some of my albums
when I specify the artist, though when I give the album title,
then pronounces the artist exactly as I had been doing.
We have a multi-disk audiobook, but she will only play disk one.
I created another copy, where all tracks are in one album, but
skipping a track at a time becomes painful - she won't remember
where you had got to.
Chris
Wot I miss is the ability to have a whole group of echos (Alexii?) play the
same material in sync from radio, Auntie stopped this facility for reasons
only she might comprehend some time ago. It was very convenient to be able
to move around the house whilst listening to a programme and not miss
sections of the programme.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-10-16 16:59:18 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Alexae, I would assume.

2020-10-17 14:57:03 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Alexa has a mind of her own. We listen to R3 and R4 with the occasional WS
but she is determined we should listen to R2. We used to, pre-DAB listen
to oodles of R2, till the twelve year olds arrived, so there’s a mystery
voice somewhere telling her our music history.

Don’t ask her to play music at random. I imagine you’d have to be *very*
specific.

2020-10-17 15:51:35 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Sincerely Chris
She also has a penchant for Radio 1 which I do not share!!!!
2020-10-17 17:30:54 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
I would discard her on the spot if her first idea for Hallelujah was
Leonard Cohen and not George Frideric Handel!
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-10-17 20:45:58 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
'Alexa, play Hallelujah Chorus' does the trick there.

Anne B