The name Shula
2021-05-20 17:20:01 UTC
Did we have a discussion ages ago and thought it was a made-up name?

There is a Holocaust survivor, now aged 94, called Shula who lives in
Israel and spent the recent days inside a bomb shelter in Ramat Gan
as a Hamas rocket hit her neighborhood.

Her grandson, Aviad Dagan, who is pilot and commander of an airbase in
the Israeli Air Force, paid her a visit.
Jenny M Benson
2021-05-20 17:42:17 UTC
Did we have a discussion ages ago and thought it was a made-up name?
We did have such a discussion and I think I said then that there were
several instances of Shula/Shulamite/Shulamith/Shulamit/Shulah being
used as a forename for babies born in England and Wales since the early
1900s.
Wrexham, UK
Tony Smith
I had always assumed it was Irish, but I cannot verify that.
Mike McMillan
2021-05-21 11:56:24 UTC
Did we have a discussion ages ago and thought it was a made-up name?
We did have such a discussion and I think I said then that there were
several instances of Shula/Shulamite/Shulamith/Shulamit/Shulah being
used as a forename for babies born in England and Wales since the early
1900s.
Time to (re)introduce non-genealogist UMRAts again to
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl - it's trivially easy to use.

"If even one person" arguments allow the perfect to become the enemy of the
good, and thus they tend to cause more harm than good.
- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5
Peter Withey
2021-05-22 10:03:41 UTC
On Thu, 20 May 2021 18:42:17 +0100, Jenny M Benson
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Shula
Pete
Paul Herber
2021-05-20 19:39:56 UTC
Did we have a discussion ages ago and thought it was a made-up name?
There is a Holocaust survivor, now aged 94, called Shula who lives in
Israel and spent the recent days inside a bomb shelter in Ramat Gan
as a Hamas rocket hit her neighborhood.
Her grandson, Aviad Dagan, who is pilot and commander of an airbase in
the Israeli Air Force, paid her a visit.
I thought Shula was the giant spider type creature in LOTR.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Mike McMillan
2021-05-21 07:24:15 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Vicky Ayech
Did we have a discussion ages ago and thought it was a made-up name?
There is a Holocaust survivor, now aged 94, called Shula who lives in
Israel and spent the recent days inside a bomb shelter in Ramat Gan
as a Hamas rocket hit her neighborhood.
Her grandson, Aviad Dagan, who is pilot and commander of an airbase in
the Israeli Air Force, paid her a visit.
I thought Shula was the giant spider type creature in LOTR.
Did you look that up on the web?
2021-05-22 18:35:29 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Vicky Ayech
Did we have a discussion ages ago and thought it was a made-up name?
There is a Holocaust survivor, now aged 94, called Shula who lives in
Israel and spent the recent days inside a bomb shelter in Ramat Gan
as a Hamas rocket hit her neighborhood.
Her grandson, Aviad Dagan, who is pilot and commander of an airbase in
the Israeli Air Force, paid her a visit.
I thought Shula was the giant spider type creature in LOTR.
I think that whenever I see an advert for Michelob beer.
--
Sid