Cricket
Add Reply
Rosalind Mitchell
2021-09-05 20:15:19 UTC
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.

A beautifully poised match if I may say so.

2021-09-06 05:24:10 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.
A beautifully poised match if I may say so.
YANAOU.

A tense and exciting day coming up, I think. I think a draw is the most
likely result; almost 300 on the last day doesn't sound likely to me,
but you never know. And after following England cricket for 60 years,
the prospect of the batting going down in an ignominious heap is always
lurking in my consciousness, even a strong-looking lineup like this on
what looks like a decent pitch.

If either side wins, they will have earned it, that's for sure.
--
Sid
Peter Withey
2021-09-06 08:51:02 UTC
On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 20:15:19 -0000 (UTC), Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.
A beautifully poised match if I may say so.
If we get through the first hour unscathed I'll begin to hope but at
the moment my money would be on India, sadly :(
Pete
Sid Nuncius
steve hague
2021-09-06 11:41:23 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.
A beautifully poised match if I may say so.
If we get through the first hour unscathed I'll begin to hope but at
the moment my money would be on India, sadly :(
Agreed.
I was feeling a little more optimistic until Malan's run out just now.
Steve
Rosalind Mitchell
2021-09-06 13:06:40 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.
A beautifully poised match if I may say so.
If we get through the first hour unscathed I'll begin to hope but at
the moment my money would be on India, sadly :(
Agreed.
I was feeling a little more optimistic until Malan's run out just now.
Steve
Four down now, 15 minutes after lunch. Joe's still there.

Rosalind Mitchell
2021-09-06 15:00:46 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by steve hague
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.
A beautifully poised match if I may say so.
If we get through the first hour unscathed I'll begin to hope but at
the moment my money would be on India, sadly :(
Agreed.
I was feeling a little more optimistic until Malan's run out just now.
Steve
Four down now, 15 minutes after lunch. Joe's still there.
Well, Overton, Robinson and Anderton (who sound like a music-hall act)
have now got a whole session to keep at least two of their wickets
intact. Anybody taking bets?

2021-09-06 15:44:21 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by steve hague
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.
A beautifully poised match if I may say so.
If we get through the first hour unscathed I'll begin to hope but at
the moment my money would be on India, sadly :(
Agreed.
I was feeling a little more optimistic until Malan's run out just now.
Steve
Four down now, 15 minutes after lunch. Joe's still there.
Well, Overton, Robinson and Anderton (who sound like a music-hall act)
have now got a whole session to keep at least two of their wickets
intact. Anybody taking bets?
Well, that went terribly well, didn't it? I think I may have mentioned
my fatalistic expectation of the England batting lineup collapsing
like...well...the England batting lineup sometimes has over the years.

Sounds like India bowled magnificently, though, so fair do's.
--
Sid
Rosalind Mitchell
2021-09-06 13:08:22 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.
A beautifully poised match if I may say so.
If we get through the first hour unscathed I'll begin to hope but at
the moment my money would be on India, sadly :(
Agreed.
I was feeling a little more optimistic until Malan's run out just now.
Steve
I do think we should adopt Jasprit Bumrah as an honorary one of us
though.

Peter Withey
2021-09-07 08:08:02 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.
A beautifully poised match if I may say so.
If we get through the first hour unscathed I'll begin to hope but at
the moment my money would be on India, sadly :(
So I was wrong, it wasn't the first hour in the morning I should have
worried about - it was the first hour after lunch :(
Pete
Sid Nuncius
2021-09-07 08:33:15 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.
A beautifully poised match if I may say so.
If we get through the first hour unscathed I'll begin to hope but at
the moment my money would be on India, sadly :(
So I was wrong, it wasn't the first hour in the morning I should have
worried about - it was the first hour after lunch :(
I find it's worth worrying about any hour when England are batting.

(Although there was that wonderful Ashes tour when a friend said to me
"This is great - I can wake up in the night, turn on the radio, hear the
word "Cook" and know that everything is all right.")
--
Sid
Rosalind Mitchell
2021-09-07 12:11:36 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have been engrossed in Test Match Special all weekend. AIAOU? Shirley
not.
A beautifully poised match if I may say so.
If we get through the first hour unscathed I'll begin to hope but at
the moment my money would be on India, sadly :(
So I was wrong, it wasn't the first hour in the morning I should have
worried about - it was the first hour after lunch :(
I find it's worth worrying about any hour when England are batting.
(Although there was that wonderful Ashes tour when a friend said to me
"This is great - I can wake up in the night, turn on the radio, hear the
word "Cook" and know that everything is all right.")
There was a time, and a very long time ago it was, too, there was a
home Ashes series when England were in the ascendency; in fact it may
well have been *that* Ashes series because it would have been about
that summer. I was travelling with a friend by train from Ipswich to
Cambridge via Bury St Edmunds, and I saw somewhere at Ipswich that
England were struggling a bit with one CJ Tavare, an opener who made St
Geoffrey look exciting, carrying his bat towards the tail partnering
Paul Allott, a Lancashire quickie who turned up briefly that summer
and then disappeared without trace. When we got home to Cambridge,
naturally I put the wireless on, to hear that CJ Tavare was *still*
batting. That must have been quite a wag in the tail, I thought, and
indeed Allott had been throwing the bat about. But I was mistaken,
this was England's second innings. Australia had been skittled out
cheaply in the time it took the train to cross Suffolk. Not exactly a
high-speed express but all the same...

I don't take a serious "anyone but England" stance except in
Association Football where the hype surrounding the English national
team is insufferable. I'll root for Scotland in Rugby Union but not
much care what the other six do beyond hoping for Italy to overcome
the eternal losers status, and in the superior code internationals
(usually involving a thrashing by Australia) are played as Great
Britain, with few if any Scots involved. Since Scotland doesn't do
cricket much either I'm happy to root for England, with a strong
tendency towards "anybody but Australia". All the same, I was very
pleased for India, they played really well yesterday. Bumrah getting
the plaudits but much kudos to Virat Kohli for some canny captaincy,
especially in his use of his bowlers.

Tony Smith
2021-09-10 08:40:45 UTC
It seems a bit unkind that India forfeits the match because of the Plague. A match unplayable because of weather would surely count as a draw.
Sid Nuncius
2021-09-10 08:57:16 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
It seems a bit unkind that India forfeits the match because of the Plague. A match unplayable because of weather would surely count as a draw.
Apparently that's been withdrawn now, so the status of the match remains
to be decided. Boodly annoying, all the same.

On the brighter side, there's the tennis.
<beam>
The girl done good, eh?
--
Sid
2021-09-10 11:21:21 UTC
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 11:06:52 -0000 (UTC), Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Tony Smith
It seems a bit unkind that India forfeits the match because of the Plague. A match unplayable because of weather would surely count as a draw.
Apparently that's been withdrawn now, so the status of the match remains
to be decided. Boodly annoying, all the same.
On the brighter side, there's the tennis.
<beam>
The girl done good, eh?
She did! And all the more refreshing for doing it without all the
nauseating jingoistic hype and cliché because they didn't see her
coming. Although they are trying to make up for lost time. "Fairy
tale" my arse. She got there on merit and lots of hard work. And
she's not even a borrowed Canadian or Australian retread.
More power to her elbow, I say, and hopefully not her tennis
elbow. You go girl!
Well, some of my friends on fb are from other countries and one was
pleased that it is two canadian girls in the finals :)
She was born in Toronto, Canada on November 13, 2002 to Romanian
father Ian and mother Renee who originated from Shenyang in China
before moving to England as a toddler.
Rosalind Mitchell
2021-09-10 12:22:50 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Tony Smith
[...]
But not brought up with the Canadian tennis system. She's there depite
the LTA.