Nic's death-bed confession
2018-02-27 14:31:05 UTC
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.

Speculations?

Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Clive Arthur
2018-02-27 15:47:32 UTC
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Poppy is Ed's.

Cheers
Clive
Vicky
2018-02-27 18:22:44 UTC
On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 15:47:32 +0000, Clive Arthur
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Penny
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Well, it's not just being nasty to Emma and refusing to make it up.
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Penny
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Poppy is Ed's.
Cheers
Please no! We don't re-cycle plots, do we?

She was a child murderer and is still being tracked by the probation
service?
2018-02-27 16:20:34 UTC
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Perhaps she has been decimating the St Stephen’s collection?
2018-02-27 16:41:13 UTC
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Perhaps she has been decimating the St Stephen’s collection?
She wasn’t happy with Matt wanting to leave his suitcase behind the bar.
And didn’t someone stop after the crash, get out of the car and see Matt.
I wasn’t sure if this was supposed to be same driver as hit him.

Was there any reason for Nic to have strong feelings of dislike for Matt?

Is it possible all this is part of the contrivance to get the new Editor’s
big idea in? At the same time it killed off the Matt, FAL, Justin triangle
that belonged to the old regime.

Or, something like this.
2018-02-27 19:39:17 UTC
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Perhaps she has been decimating the St Stephen’s collection?
She wasn’t happy with Matt wanting to leave his suitcase behind the bar.
And didn’t someone stop after the crash, get out of the car and see Matt.
I wasn’t sure if this was supposed to be same driver as hit him.
I had the impression that it was but I wasn't certain.
Post by Btms
Was there any reason for Nic to have strong feelings of dislike for Matt?
Not that I know of. I don't think she would have had any reason to
deliberately drive him down but I could easily imagine that, if she hit
him by accident, she would have panicked and left him for dead.
Post by Btms
Is it possible all this is part of the contrivance to get the new Editor’s
big idea in? At the same time it killed off the Matt, FAL, Justin triangle
that belonged to the old regime.
Or, something like this.
Or, possibly, a way of tying off one of the loose ends from the last
editor's time.
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
Btms
2018-02-27 20:09:58 UTC
Post by Btms
Is it possible all this is part of the contrivance to get the new Editor’s
big idea in? At the same time it killed off the Matt, FAL, Justin triangle
that belonged to the old regime.
Or, something like this.
Or, possibly, a way of tying off one of the loose ends from the last
editor's time.
Maybe. But Matt wasn’t a loose end was he? More of a daft plot to bring
him back and create mayhem.
2018-02-27 20:52:57 UTC
Post by Btms
Is it possible all this is part of the contrivance to get the new Editor’s
big idea in? At the same time it killed off the Matt, FAL, Justin triangle
that belonged to the old regime.
Or, something like this.
Or, possibly, a way of tying off one of the loose ends from the last
editor's time.
Maybe. But Matt wasn’t a loose end was he? More of a daft plot to bring
him back and create mayhem.
Wasn't it she who took Matt's suitcase to the store room? Perhaps she
opened it and saw something that prompted her to run him over. Something
awful that shocked her, or she wanted his money so she tried to kill him
and hid the money in Poppy's bank account.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-02-28 01:55:00 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, DavidK
<***@invalid.invalid> writes:
Post by DavidK
Post by Btms
She wasn’t happy with Matt wanting to leave his suitcase behind the bar.
[]
Post by DavidK
Wasn't it she who took Matt's suitcase to the store room? Perhaps she
opened it and saw something that prompted her to run him over.
Something awful that shocked her, or she wanted his money so she tried
to kill him and hid the money in Poppy's bank account.
Interesting thought! I thought the contents of the cases had been left
rather unclear, after Matt went to such lengths to have them stored.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they
don't want to hear. - Preface to "Animal Farm"
carolet
2018-02-28 13:55:22 UTC
Post by Btms
Is it possible all this is part of the contrivance to get the new Editor’s
big idea in?  At the same time it killed off the Matt, FAL, Justin
triangle
that belonged to the old regime.
Or, something like this.
Or, possibly, a way of tying off one of the loose ends from the last
editor's time.
Maybe. But Matt wasn’t a loose end was he?  More of a daft plot to bring
him back and create mayhem.
Wasn't it she who took Matt's suitcase to the store room? Perhaps she
opened it and saw something that prompted her to run him over. Something
awful that shocked her, or she wanted his money so she tried to kill him
and hid the money in Poppy's bank account.
If there had been something missing from the suitcase, wouldn't we have
heard of it? Wouldn't Matt have accused Lilian of taking it when she
retrieved the cases for him?
2018-02-28 14:06:25 UTC
Post by Btms
[...]
I think it's also safe to assume that Matt had locked the cases pretty
securely. Certainly too securely to allow Nic to have taken a quick
look, while putting his cases in the cupboard.
A poor life this if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
(William Henry Davies)
Btms
2018-02-28 14:14:53 UTC
Post by Btms
[...]
Yes indeed. It does beg the question of why Nic. An unfortunate accident
and panic response maybe?
2018-02-28 14:53:35 UTC
Post by Btms
[...]
Yes, that's what I think.
If you smile at life, life will smile back at you...
Clive Arthur
2018-02-28 15:23:27 UTC
Yes indeed. It does beg the question of why Nic. An unfortunate accident
and panic response maybe?
We would have heard about the dented car.

Cheers
Clive
carolet
2018-02-28 18:32:07 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Yes indeed. It does beg the question of why Nic.  An unfortunate accident
and panic response maybe?
We would have heard about the dented car.
Cheers
Would a car necessarily be dented by such a crash?

Even if it was, it might not be noticed if the car was a battered old
thing and was not subject to a careful inspection.
2018-03-01 17:39:48 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 18:32:07 +0000, carolet
Post by carolet
Post by Clive Arthur
Yes indeed. It does beg the question of why Nic.  An unfortunate accident
and panic response maybe?
We would have heard about the dented car.
Cheers
Would a car necessarily be dented by such a crash?
Even if it was, it might not be noticed if the car was a battered old
thing and was not subject to a careful inspection.
Nic gave Joe a lift home from somewhere not all that long ago and he
made some comment about having trouble getting in and out of the
seats. Surely, if Nic drives up to 4 kids around, including one in a
child seat - to and from the school bus, trips out etc - she would be
driving something large enough for Joe to get in and out. I can't
imagine she would have had a car like that before she was with Will or
before they had Poppy, so I would expect them to have a largish 4x4 on
a personal contract deal - because they can afford it!

Such a vehicle might do significant damage to a pedestrian, even at a
relatively low speed. I would also think a collision with a
pedestrian would leave a dent in the car that Will would likely have
noticed and would be charged for at the end of the contract.
2018-03-01 17:54:02 UTC
Post by carolet
Post by Clive Arthur
[...]
I think that’s a lot of assumptions. One of my son’s cars is a big Citroen
as they have three children all in seats. That probably has fibreglass*
body work. We used to have a Disco. I doubt that would have been damaged
if it brushed against a pedestrian. Both cars are difficult to climb into
and drop down from. The fuel consumption of the Disco would be
economically challenging for Nic and Will. Otoh as keeper may have had use
of beaten up 4x4.

So that’s my assumptions thrown in the mix!

*or some sort of plastic thpe bodywork.
2018-02-27 20:58:19 UTC
Post by Btms
Is it possible all this is part of the contrivance to get the new Editor’s
big idea in? At the same time it killed off the Matt, FAL, Justin triangle
that belonged to the old regime.
Or, something like this.
Or, possibly, a way of tying off one of the loose ends from the last
editor's time.
Maybe. But Matt wasn’t a loose end was he? More of a daft plot to bring
him back and create mayhem.
I felt that the minor detail of who actually dunnit seemed a rather
loose end, left dangling, once it had caused the necessary alarum and
despondency around the village.
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
(Jerome K. Jerome)
Btms
2018-02-27 21:08:25 UTC
Post by Btms
Is it possible all this is part of the contrivance to get the new Editor’s
big idea in? At the same time it killed off the Matt, FAL, Justin triangle
that belonged to the old regime.
Or, something like this.
Or, possibly, a way of tying off one of the loose ends from the last
editor's time.
Maybe. But Matt wasn’t a loose end was he? More of a daft plot to bring
him back and create mayhem.
I felt that the minor detail of who actually dunnit seemed a rather
loose end, left dangling, once it had caused the necessary alarum and
despondency around the village.
And it still is. Will we learn more?
2018-02-27 18:00:45 UTC
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
She was secretly in love with Emma and couldn't let Will know. That's
why she had to be so nasty to her, so he didn't suspect. But she's
left all her money to Emma as a deposit for the house.
2018-02-28 11:04:34 UTC
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Greenwood was Casa Nueva, and before that whatever it was where Greg lived.

2018-02-28 14:21:39 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:04:34 GMT, Chris McMillan
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Greenwood was Casa Nueva, and before that whatever it was where Greg lived.
But it's not Keepers Cottage, is it?
2018-02-28 21:00:32 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:04:34 GMT, Chris McMillan
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Greenwood was Casa Nueva, and before that whatever it was where Greg lived.
The first few Who's Whos give Greg's place of residence as "A tied
cottage at Home Farm". So maybe it did not have a name.
Post by Penny
But it's not Keepers Cottage, is it?
Presumably a gamekeeper did live there at some point. George Barford
might even have lived there when he came to Ambridge, though he was
living in the Stables, with Christine, by the time of the first Who's Who.

This book also says that when George decided to retire, Jack Woolley
struggled to find a replacement, so George agreed to help out part time
until a replacement was found. This indicates that he must have been
gamekeeper at Grey Gables, and we know that Jack owned Keeper's Cottage
later on, up until Hazel inherited it, so it might have been the Grey
Gables' keeper's cottage.

The book says that taciturn Greg arrived in 1998 to look after the
expanded Home Farm/Berrow Estate shoot, and didn't mind rubbing people
up the wrong way, especially competing gamekeeper George Barford. It was
therefore galling to George when Greg took over the Grey Gables shoot
from him a year later.

This seems to demonstrate that there have been two shoots, with two
gamekeepers in Ambridge, requiring two cottages for them two live in.
2018-03-01 13:25:09 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:04:34 GMT, Chris McMillan
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Greenwood was Casa Nueva, and before that whatever it was where Greg lived.
But it's not Keepers Cottage, is it?
No, Keepers and April Cottages are next to each other, was Kathy and Jamie
and the Grundies once upon a time. Greenwood is somewhere else, on Bland
or Home Farm land. We never heard about it till Greg appeared.

2018-03-01 13:32:45 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:04:34 GMT, Chris McMillan
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Greenwood was Casa Nueva, and before that whatever it was where Greg lived.
But it's not Keepers Cottage, is it?
No, Keepers and April Cottages are next to each other, was Kathy and Jamie
and the Grundies once upon a time. Greenwood is somewhere else, on Bland
or Home Farm land. We never heard about it till Greg appeared.
I think that, pre-Greg, it was Sammy Whipple (or Whittle?), the Home
Farm shepherd's cottage.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.
(Terry Pratchett)
Btms
2018-03-01 13:43:22 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:04:34 GMT, Chris McMillan
We obviously weren't intended to hear what she said but whatever it was is
bothering Joe.
Speculations?
Did she run into and fail to kill Matt? I can't find Greenwood Cottage on
any of the maps to figure out if Matt might have been walking on her route
home from The Bull that night.
Greenwood was Casa Nueva, and before that whatever it was where Greg lived.
But it's not Keepers Cottage, is it?
No, Keepers and April Cottages are next to each other, was Kathy and Jamie
and the Grundies once upon a time. Greenwood is somewhere else, on Bland
or Home Farm land. We never heard about it till Greg appeared.
I think that, pre-Greg, it was Sammy Whipple (or Whittle?), the Home
Farm shepherd's cottage.
And of course when there was a female shepherd, she was played by Carole
Boyd aka Lynda Snell. Ironic that Lynda has a shepherds hut in her
garden. Or an in joke?
2018-03-01 16:04:06 UTC
In message
<830632983.541604243.809996.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.o
rg>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
But it's not Keepers Cottage, is it?
No, Keepers and April Cottages are next to each other, was
Kathy and Jamie and the Grundies
Did they ever even _make_ a second album?
And of course when there was a female shepherd, she was played by Carole
Boyd aka Lynda Snell. Ironic that Lynda has a shepherds hut in her
garden. Or an in joke?
Oh, I'm sure an in joke. Assuming there are people (CB would for a
start, obviously) with the relevant long memories.

Who's General Failure & why's he reading my disk? (Stolen from another .sig)
kosmo
2018-03-02 03:35:47 UTC
On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 16:04:06 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Oh, I'm sure an in joke. Assuming there are people (CB would for a
start, obviously) with the relevant long memories.
Long memories vanished once editors decided to wreck the village with
imposed stories and impossible ret cons.
kosmo
Serena Blanchflower
2018-03-02 08:58:00 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Oh, I'm sure an in joke. Assuming there are people (CB would for a
start, obviously) with the relevant long memories.
Long memories vanished once editors decided to wreck the village with
imposed stories and impossible ret cons.
There are still some SWs who've been around long enough to have their
own long memories.
I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can't make it through
one door, I'll go through another door - or I'll make a door. Something
terrific will come no matter how dark the present. (Rabindranath Tagore)
Btms
2018-03-02 09:40:26 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Oh, I'm sure an in joke. Assuming there are people (CB would for a
start, obviously) with the relevant long memories.
Long memories vanished once editors decided to wreck the village with
imposed stories and impossible ret cons.
There are still some SWs who've been around long enough to have their
own long memories.
But the editor has the last word.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes
DavidK
2018-03-02 14:48:38 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Oh, I'm sure an in joke. Assuming there are people (CB would for a
start, obviously) with the relevant long memories.
Long memories vanished once editors decided to wreck the village with
imposed stories and impossible ret cons.
What's a ret con?
retroactive continuity
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=retcon>
Mike
2018-03-02 15:15:23 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Oh, I'm sure an in joke. Assuming there are people (CB would for a
start, obviously) with the relevant long memories.
Long memories vanished once editors decided to wreck the village with
imposed stories and impossible ret cons.
What's a ret con?
retroactive continuity
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=retcon>
Does this go along with the horrible term ‘back story’? Wot’s rong with
‘history’???
2018-03-02 19:38:54 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Oh, I'm sure an in joke. Assuming there are people (CB would for a
start, obviously) with the relevant long memories.
Long memories vanished once editors decided to wreck the village with
imposed stories and impossible ret cons.
What's a ret con?
retroactive continuity
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=retcon>
Does this go along with the horrible term ‘back story’? Wot’s rong with
‘history’???
Two different things IMO.

History is what you are told; the back story is what you infer about the
past from the way the plot unfolds.

IMO

Nick
kosmo
2018-03-03 06:02:49 UTC
Does this go along with the horrible term back story? Wots rong
with
history???
A ret con is where TPTB invent a new history which is improbable -
such as Brian taking money for dumped chemicals.
kosmo
Btms
2018-03-02 15:35:00 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Oh, I'm sure an in joke. Assuming there are people (CB would for a
start, obviously) with the relevant long memories.
Long memories vanished once editors decided to wreck the village with
imposed stories and impossible ret cons.
What's a ret con?
retroactive continuity
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=retcon>
Interesting. I had assumed it meant retrospective continuity. Who knew!
2018-03-01 16:11:46 UTC
And of course when there was a female shepherd, she was played by Carole
Boyd aka Lynda Snell. Ironic that Lynda has a shepherds hut in her
garden. Or an in joke?
Probably the latter.
Warning, keyboard not found. Press Enter to continue.