post epi spoiler, 5th Sept 2018
2018-09-05 18:16:50 UTC
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!

2018-09-05 20:43:19 UTC
On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 18:16:50 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
Why should Lizzie pay for anything for him? Lily knows things are bad
at LL so I don't think she'd have said that. I'd have simply pointed
out this is the last chance for a mother/daughter day out so do not
come along.
DavidK
2018-09-06 07:02:10 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
Why should Lizzie pay for anything for him? Lily knows things are bad
at LL so I don't think she'd have said that. I'd have simply pointed
out this is the last chance for a mother/daughter day out so do not
come along.
Yes, my first thought was to make him pay for the things he wanted but
second thoughts said that it would be better if he had no claims on
anything when the split-up happens. This is rather spoilt if he has his
name on the flat's rent-book.
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-06 08:39:13 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
Why should Lizzie pay for anything for him? Lily knows things are bad
at LL so I don't think she'd have said that. I'd have simply pointed
out this is the last chance for a mother/daughter day out so do not
come along.
Yes, my first thought was to make him pay for the things he wanted but
second thoughts said that it would be better if he had no claims on
anything when the split-up happens. This is rather spoilt if he has his
name on the flat's rent-book.
Will his name be on it? I wonder if he will still join her, although
the making Lizzie buy stuff does seem as if he is serious about going,
or just still in a fantasy and will snap out in time to keep his job
and wife?
Krw
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
Why should Lizzie pay for anything for him? Lily knows things are bad
at LL so I don't think she'd have said that. I'd have simply pointed
out this is the last chance for a mother/daughter day out so do not
come along.
Yes, my first thought was to make him pay for the things he wanted but
second thoughts said that it would be better if he had no claims on
anything when the split-up happens. This is rather spoilt if he has his
name on the flat's rent-book.
Will his name be on it? I wonder if he will still join her, although
the making Lizzie buy stuff does seem as if he is serious about going,
or just still in a fantasy and will snap out in time to keep his job
and wife?
She has thrown him out.
--
Kosmo

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
John Ashby
2018-09-06 11:37:47 UTC
Post by Krw
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
Why should Lizzie pay for anything for him? Lily knows things are bad
at LL so I don't think she'd have said that. I'd have simply pointed
out this is the last chance for a mother/daughter day out so do not
come along.
Yes, my first thought was to make him pay for the things he wanted but
second thoughts said that it would be better if he had no claims on
anything when the split-up happens. This is rather spoilt if he has his
name on the flat's rent-book.
Will his name be on it? I wonder if he will still join her, although
the making Lizzie buy stuff does seem as if he is serious about going,
or just still in a fantasy and will snap out in time to keep his job
and wife?
She has thrown him out.
No, no,no, he's just giving her some space. Terribly thoughtful chap, Russ.

2018-09-06 12:22:35 UTC
Post by Krw
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
john
I wonder how close to the Mancunian move date Russ is going to go before
starting to cluck?
2018-09-06 07:34:11 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
Why should Lizzie pay for anything for him? Lily knows things are bad
at LL so I don't think she'd have said that. I'd have simply pointed
out this is the last chance for a mother/daughter day out so do not
come along.
Quitesoquitesoquiteso!
Krw
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
Why should Lizzie pay for anything for him? Lily knows things are bad
at LL so I don't think she'd have said that. I'd have simply pointed
out this is the last chance for a mother/daughter day out so do not
come along.
Quitesoquitesoquiteso!
What 3 temperatures?
--
Kosmo

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Chris McMillan
2018-09-06 13:24:22 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
Why should Lizzie pay for anything for him? Lily knows things are bad
at LL so I don't think she'd have said that. I'd have simply pointed
out this is the last chance for a mother/daughter day out so do not
come along.
Quitesoquitesoquiteso!
What 3 temperatures?
https://www.jccampbellelectrics.com/delonghi-kbi3011-cp-distinta-kettle.html

This is more than three, but explains exactly why. If the Chinese can make
perfect tea *without* a kettle as we know it, why shouldn’t we? If I
thought the most anglicised of my friends or those who married the culture
could explain to the satisfaction of both cultures (and I knew they were TA
fans, I’d engage in this discussion. £90 is far too much for a kettle,
even if I may drink most of these five types any time of the year (white
the least likely).

2018-09-18 15:15:38 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
I am rather glad I drink coffee if tea is that complicated.
2018-09-19 21:26:48 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Makes me wonder how come anyone drinks tea from our tea trolley. The
water is from an electric urn that has been heated and unplugged and
carried around on the trolley for up to an hour. My first cup of
coffee at 9.20 is significantly warmer than my second cup of coffee at
around 9.55 when the trolley is on the return trip. (I don't have a
second cup on the afternoon round.)
2018-09-21 11:40:44 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Yuk. Used to love sound of tea trolley lady when I worked in the city but
that stopped long ago
2018-09-21 22:00:51 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
This is true. I think we had a tea trolley in various places where I
worked up until the mid-seventies. I love the idea that the tradition
survives.

2018-09-22 14:34:49 UTC
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 23:00:51 +0100, Nick Odell
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
When I did my placement year at BNFL in 1985/6, there was still a tea
trolley in the older buildings. But I was based in the new building
that had Nutrimatic drink dispensers and snack machines.

Our CEO is very much of the opinion that the tea trolley will be axed
over his dead body. Unfortunately, the financial cock ups at the
county council means that will be highly unlikely to last more than
the next 18 months.
2018-09-22 14:37:45 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
‘Share and Enjoy’;-)
2018-09-26 18:07:00 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Oh dear. Had temp job at bookers the Booker prizenlot. Just a trump
trollyservice. Lovely .. then stnibm in city it was machine s. My boss
never expected meto makketea hut he funded a coffee machine. I was fine.
I,like the domestication as long as it isi a hidden little woman thing.
His wife would have sat on that. Anything better then typing. NEver my
skill. Liked the ego trip communication with customers of significance.
And long lunches in city wine bars that may have been to o,long sometimes
l. Sorry no. Often too long. Older wiser now I hope. In ibm I loved the cut
and thrustthe business politics and knowing we ere global leaders. But
of course it didn’tlast. Ibm lost the plot. After children I turned to
volunteer roles. Same in retirement. Moved into educati on roles.
Retraining opportunity erevtaken upare traditional. Took me a while to
admitthis. Tastes are actually simple but treats are good too.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire..
Penny
2018-09-26 19:10:02 UTC
This is true. I think we had a tea trolley in various places where I
worked up until the mid-seventies. I love the idea that the tradition
survives.
I've been trying to remember if we had a tea trolley when I worked at Allen
& Unwin - but I can't. A staff room with a kitchen was put in on our floor
at some point during my time there, maybe there was a tea trolley before
that.

At Safeway (Southern Britain Zone) HQ there was a (free) hot drinks machine
at the end of the corridor and someone in the studio would fetch drinks for
everyone. There was also a staff canteen on site which was good value if
you were happy to eat with the truck drivers which we were. I think I went
to the pub across the road once in my time there.

In the husgod's works when I first met him I was told that during the 3 day
week they were able to keep running every day because the whole place could
be run on a small generator. Susie, who answered phones, served at the
counter (we sold sweets and crisps as well as printing), did dyeline
printing and print finishing, also made the tea. During the 3 day week,
everything stopped for tea simply because the kettle took more power than
the printing machine and the rest of the equipment.

Three moves later we put a drinks machine in the new premises which was set
up to dispense drinks free. Apparently HM Revenue Inspector disapproved of
this (though they'd never complained about petty cash paying for tea,
coffee, milk and sugar) but we were allowed to give each staff member 10
free drinks per week so 10 tokens went into each wage packet. When the
print works moved to other premises the drinks machine went with them.

There was a little kitchen and I made sure there was a list on the wall of
how everyone liked their drinks and whoever found they had time would make
drinks for everyone else. I was only working part time there and one of the
staff, coming into the kitchen and finding me making drinks told me I
shouldn't be doing that. Apparently she thought it wasn't right for the
boss's wife to make the tea.
2018-09-27 19:36:16 UTC
[...]
Would have been ok with me 😂😂🤓
SODAM
2018-09-28 15:17:58 UTC
[...]
24 years ago I was in an important meeting in the boardroom. There were
about fifteen of us there but I was the only woman. When the coffee was
wheeled in and left for us, fourteen pairs of eyes turned and looked at me
expectantly. I sat tight. Eventually, the Chairman was “mother”. I think
the majority thought that it was beneath him to pour the drinks and I
should have done it but there was no way I was going to conform to their
stereotypical “woman’s role”,
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
steveski
2018-09-28 16:09:40 UTC
On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 16:17:58 +0100, SODAM wrote:

[]
Post by SODAM
24 years ago I was in an important meeting in the boardroom. There were
about fifteen of us there but I was the only woman. When the coffee was
wheeled in and left for us, fourteen pairs of eyes turned and looked at
me expectantly. I sat tight. Eventually, the Chairman was “mother”. I
think the majority thought that it was beneath him to pour the drinks
and I should have done it but there was no way I was going to conform to
their stereotypical “woman’s role”,
Good batting, SODAM.

-
2018-09-29 12:23:40 UTC
Post by SODAM
24 years ago I was in an important meeting in the boardroom. There were
about fifteen of us there but I was the only woman. When the coffee was
wheeled in and left for us, fourteen pairs of eyes turned and looked at
me expectantly. I sat tight. Eventually, the Chairman was “mother”. I
think the majority thought that it was beneath him to pour the drinks
and I should have done it but there was no way I was going to conform to
their stereotypical “woman’s role”,
Good batting, SODAM.
-
Steveski
Good. I never minded really but fine eith those who resist ed. Thing is I
like the domestic role. So long as the subtext doesn’t hint as it’s
beccause I am a woman. I like being hostess.
2018-09-28 17:56:30 UTC
Post by SODAM
[...]
I have many similar tales of meetings, although it hardly ever happened
to me in universities.

Quite recently I was the lone woman at a meeting in the City. I made a
point in the discussion and, seconds later, the man sitting next to me
turned his back on me to the address the chairman and said exactly the
same thing. The chairman, bless him, pointed out that the person behind
him had just said it. The other men looked embarrassed.

https://punch.photoshelter.com/image/I0000eHEXGJ_wImQ
2018-09-28 20:20:40 UTC
On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 18:56:30 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by LFS
Post by SODAM
[...]
I guess I've been lucky not to meet this sort of sexism at work*.

In the Safeway studio we were two women and three men. I don't recall ever
doing the drinks run in fact I think the (male) manager usually did it.

I was on a parish committee discussing things we might do to commemorate
the millennium. We all knew each other and were on friendly terms. I was
shocked when a suggestion of mine was completely ignored by the chairman
until the chap sitting next to me, after looking at me and raising his
eyebrows, repeated what I had said and it was greeted as a good idea.
Everyone in the room knew what had happened, except, apparently, the
chairman.

*I did, however, once meet with a problem d#1 often complains about in her
University job - academics v admin.

I was working three days a week as school secretary and bursar when the
headteacher told me one of the teachers had asked if I could make the
teaching staff drinks at break time. I said no. I was prepared to fill the
kettle and switch it on just before break but I had more than enough to do
without rounding up the dirty cups, doing the washing up and preparing
various drinks. She understood my point immediately - and gave the task to
one of the classroom assistants.

The same teacher didn't feel it was her job to keep her attendance register
up-to-date by chasing for parent letters when children had been absent.
2018-09-27 19:36:16 UTC
[...]
Status junkie? At RDA making coffee is probably my most useful task.
2018-09-21 11:40:44 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
I am rather glad I drink coffee if tea is that complicated. You can complicate if you wish
2018-09-23 11:17:45 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
God response but guess lizzy too wound up to think talk with her mouth and
brain in gear. In real life guess she might reflect and imagine how she
wished she had done it a bit differently 1 @
2018-09-06 13:15:56 UTC
https://www.amazon.co.uk/variable-temperature-kettle/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avariable%20temperature%20kettle

2018-09-06 13:27:21 UTC
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
https://www.amazon.co.uk/variable-temperature-kettle/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avariable%20temperature%20kettle
Don't forget that the one Russ had chosen also had expensive sounding
"Italian styling".
If you are going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
Mike
2018-09-06 13:33:25 UTC
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
https://www.amazon.co.uk/variable-temperature-kettle/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avariable%20temperature%20kettle
Don't forget that the one Russ had chosen also had expensive sounding
"Italian styling".
Well yes, of course, the tea/coffee/infusion/confusion would taste *SO*
much better for being heated in an Italian style vessel, wouldn’t it?!
;-)))
2018-09-06 13:38:30 UTC
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
https://www.amazon.co.uk/variable-temperature-kettle/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avariable%20temperature%20kettle
Don't forget that the one Russ had chosen also had expensive sounding
"Italian styling".
Well yes, of course, the tea/coffee/infusion/confusion would taste *SO*
much better for being heated in an Italian style vessel, wouldn’t it?!
;-)))
Shirley, Effer already has one as a back-up to the variable instant hot
water spout thingy but would she have any common ol’ Italian style that
maybe didn’t match or sympathetically blend /enhance her Italian marble
work top???
2018-09-06 17:42:18 UTC
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
https://www.amazon.co.uk/variable-temperature-kettle/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avariable%20temperature%20kettle
Don't forget that the one Russ had chosen also had expensive sounding
"Italian styling".
Well yes, of course, the tea/coffee/infusion/confusion would taste *SO*
much better for being heated in an Italian style vessel, wouldn’t it?!
;-)))
Shirley, Effer already has one as a back-up to the variable instant hot
water spout thingy but would she have any common ol’ Italian style that
maybe didn’t match or sympathetically blend /enhance her Italian marble
work top???
So, you think she might give it to Russ, as she won't have room for it
in her new house? On the other hand, she won't have her variable instant
hot water spout thingy in her new house, so will need it for herself.
2018-09-06 18:01:10 UTC
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
https://www.amazon.co.uk/variable-temperature-kettle/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avariable%20temperature%20kettle
Don't forget that the one Russ had chosen also had expensive sounding
"Italian styling".
Yes, but my brain doesn’t run to ‘Italian’ companies

Sincerely Chris
p***@never.here
2018-09-07 09:37:23 UTC
On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 14:27:21 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
https://www.amazon.co.uk/variable-temperature-kettle/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avariable%20temperature%20kettle
Don't forget that the one Russ had chosen also had expensive sounding
"Italian styling".
Could be this one - it's the only one a search throws up atm.

https://www.g3ferrari.net/en/tisaniere-p293

Can't find a price for it though...
Pete
Serena Blanchflower
2018-09-07 13:46:44 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 14:27:21 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
https://www.amazon.co.uk/variable-temperature-kettle/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avariable%20temperature%20kettle
Don't forget that the one Russ had chosen also had expensive sounding
"Italian styling".
Could be this one - it's the only one a search throws up atm.
https://www.g3ferrari.net/en/tisaniere-p293
Can't find a price for it though...
My money's on this one - although it seems to have five temperature
settings, rather than just the modest three that Russ was after:

<https://www.johnlewis.com/de'longhi-distinta-kbi3011-digital-jug-kettle/p2161321>
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it? (Albert Einstein)
p***@never.here
2018-09-08 08:13:24 UTC
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 14:46:44 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by p***@never.here
On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 14:27:21 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Yes, the *three* temperature kettle must GO!
Sincerely Chris
https://www.amazon.co.uk/variable-temperature-kettle/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avariable%20temperature%20kettle
Don't forget that the one Russ had chosen also had expensive sounding
"Italian styling".
Could be this one - it's the only one a search throws up atm.
https://www.g3ferrari.net/en/tisaniere-p293
Can't find a price for it though...
My money's on this one - although it seems to have five temperature
<https://www.johnlewis.com/de'longhi-distinta-kbi3011-digital-jug-kettle/p2161321>
Could be either. They are both examples of the goods I would expect a
store like Underwoods to stock..
--
Pete