O/T Prime Movies
2018-10-28 17:46:57 UTC
Perhaps it is just me..... or is it? Some Amazon Prime movies sound
interesting; I start them off only to find that the sound quality is
abysmal and to me, not worth viewing at all. Am I being unfortunate in my
choice and I’m picking duff material - or have otherats noticed cr*p
quality material on this portal?
2018-10-28 18:47:29 UTC
Perhaps it is just me..... or is it? Some Amazon Prime movies sound
interesting; I start them off only to find that the sound quality is
abysmal and to me, not worth viewing at all. Am I being unfortunate in my
choice and I’m picking duff material - or have otherats noticed cr*p
quality material on this portal?
First thing to say is that you are probably not an ideal subject to try
and palm duff sound recordings onto... IANA Prime or a Netflix or an
anything customer so I really couldn't say anything first hand but a
couple of thoughts come to mind.

How is your internet connection? Mine varies a lot between reasonable
and rubbish but is never /fast/. Each time I try to stream something
from YouTube or Dailymotion, I believe the site looks at my connection
speed and serves me the quality they think my connection can handle -
which is sometimes reasonable and sometimes rubbish. Could it be that
Amazon are doing the same and it is unfortunate that they test your line
at a moment when it is poor?

What about other Amazon offers? Do they all suffer in the same way?
Maybe Amazon just don't encode them at a high enough rate for high
quality ears.

2018-10-29 08:54:09 UTC
[...]
Nick
Most often, the quality is acceptable; the times that I am thinking of are
where the dialogue is very much ‘off mike’ and presumably did not get
‘dialogue replacement therapy’ and sometimes the mix is just wrong and the
music and fx track are 6 - 12 db higher then the actor’s voices. My
bandwidth is, as is common, variable - usually between 20 - 100 megabits
per second and it is not being shared with any pesky game players. My Prime
box connects via a short lead to tinternet and to my HDMI switcher thence
to smart tv.
2018-10-28 20:12:27 UTC
Perhaps it is just me..... or is it? Some Amazon Prime movies sound
interesting; I start them off only to find that the sound quality is
abysmal and to me, not worth viewing at all. Am I being unfortunate in my
choice and I’m picking duff material - or have otherats noticed cr*p
quality material on this portal?
We're not finding any problems. B says as long as you turn the
surround sound off. Our tv gives the option to set for speech. It is
set for that. I quite often need text but that's my hearing. Now tv
and Netflix also clear as a bell he says and he's only got 40%
hearing. He is missing ranges.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-10-28 20:43:16 UTC
Perhaps it is just me..... or is it? Some Amazon Prime movies sound
interesting; I start them off only to find that the sound quality is
abysmal and to me, not worth viewing at all. Am I being unfortunate in my
choice and I’m picking duff material - or have otherats noticed cr*p
quality material on this portal?
Ask in uk.tech.broadcast; though arguably not broadcast (though perhaps
such streams do count, these days), they'll give plenty of good
technical opinion, and are nice folk. (And I think mostly about our age
too!)

Where [other presenters] tackle the world with a box of watercolours, he
takes a spanner. - David Butcher (on Guy Martin), RT 2015/1/31-2/6