Ask EU Blank posts
2020-02-05 21:46:34 UTC
I'm using Thunderbird on Win 10 and the Plusnet server.
Recently I have been getting several posts which appear to have blanks
in all fields (Subject, From, post body etc.) and showing with a
(default) date of 01-Jan-70.

It happens on more than one newsgroup.

1. Is anyotherrat seeing this problem?

2. Any idea if this is anything to do with the delayed Millennium bug -
where some software systems were crudely patched to kick the problem
down the road by 20 years (i.e. 'til 1 Jan 2020)?
(As mentioned by "The Register")
2020-02-05 23:18:07 UTC
I'm using Thunderbird on Win 10 and the Plusnet server.
Recently I have been getting several posts which appear to have blanks
in all fields (Subject, From, post body etc.) and showing with a
(default) date of 01-Jan-70.
It happens on more than one newsgroup.
1. Is anyotherrat seeing this problem?
2. Any idea if this is anything to do with the delayed Millennium bug -
where some software systems were crudely patched to kick the problem
down the road by 20 years (i.e. 'til 1 Jan 2020)?
(As mentioned by "The Register")
I hadn't heard of that specific suggestion; I know there's another date
coming up (unless we've passed it already), but it wasn't a nice round
date in human terms - it's something like 2^32 seconds from 1900, or
similar, on (some?) Unix systems.

(I _have_ been seeing odd behaviour in Turnpike: when it does a news
collection [I use the PlusNet server for some 'groups - I haven't done
the work to see if it is that], it rails my link for about 20 seconds,
but TP shows few [sometimes 0] new posts, so I'm _guessing_ it's
fetching lots of posts [or headers], then deciding it's seen them before
and discarding them. But they could be blank ones instead. This _has_
been happening since _about_ new year - couldn't say exactly. [I did
also have one point when it - and/or the server - threw a wobbly, and I
had 1.3 million posts in one newsgroup! TP didn't fall over! Though it
did get _very_ slow until they'd expired.])

If you want to make people angry, lie to them. If you want to make them
absolutely livid, then tell 'em the truth.
Chris J Dixon
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 23:31:13 +0100
Subject: The Ghost of Y2K hits Hamburg (Hamburger Abendblatt)
The city of Hamburg in Germany has 120 new DT5 trains - and 95 of
them still won't work after the new decade has blown in. As soon as a
train reaches the end of the line and has to reverse its direction (and
the train driver must turn it off and walk to the other end to drive it
back), it won't turn on again. At all.
The Hamburger Abendblatt reports in that an informer told them that this is
attributable to a date problem, with the year flipping from 19 to 20.
https://www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/article228038743/U-Bahn-Hamburg-DT5-ausgefallen-Hochbahn-Software-Fehler-Verkehr-Verspaetung-Stoerung.html
All the trains stopped dead in their tracks, so to say. They have
managed to fix the software on 25 of them, but so many are missing
they are having to run short trains in the hopes of even keeping
up with the schedule.
A bit later in the article an update is mentioned as being at fault, the
rest of the article is politicians blathering on.
Their troubles don't stop there: a passenger purchased a ticket on 1 Jan
2020 that is not valid until 1.1.2040. Picture included.
***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 23:31:13 +0100
The city of Hamburg in Germany has 120 new DT5 trains - and 95 of
them still won't work after the new decade has blown in. As soon as a
train reaches the end of the line and has to reverse its direction (and
the train driver must turn it off and walk to the other end to drive it
back), it won't turn on again. At all.
This wasn't the 2^32 (minus 1?) problem: we've another 18 years to go
for that one. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem:

Year 2038 problem
Main article: Year 2038 problem

The original Unix time datatype (time_t) stores a date and time as a
signed long integer (on 32-bit systems a 32-bit integer) representing
the number of seconds since 1 January 1970. During and after 2038, this
number will exceed 2^31 - 1, the largest number representable by a
signed long integer on 32-bit systems, causing the Year 2038 problem
(also known as the Unix Millennium bug or Y2K38). As a long integer in
64-bit systems uses 64 bits, the problem does not realistically exist on
64-bit systems that use the LP64 model.

(Following the link tells me it'll happen at 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January
2038 [and that it's from 00:00:00 UTC on 1 January 1970, not 1900 as I'd
misremembered].)
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
The Hamburger Abendblatt reports in that an informer told them that this is
attributable to a date problem, with the year flipping from 19 to 20.
https://www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/article228038743/U-Bahn-Hamburg-DT5-a
usgefallen-Hochbahn-Software-Fehler-Verkehr-Verspaetung-Stoerung.html
All the trains stopped dead in their tracks, so to say. They have
managed to fix the software on 25 of them, but so many are missing
they are having to run short trains in the hopes of even keeping
up with the schedule.
Surely shorter trains would make it _worse_, as described! Presumably
the software is in all the carriages, not just the tractor units at the
ends (or maybe the individual carriages all have their own motors).
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
A bit later in the article an update is mentioned as being at fault, the
rest of the article is politicians blathering on.
Their troubles don't stop there: a passenger purchased a ticket on 1 Jan
2020 that is not valid until 1.1.2040. Picture included.
I do hope he keeps it and it is honoured!

User Error: Replace user, hit any key to continue.
Joe Kerr
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 23:31:13 +0100
The city of Hamburg in Germany has 120 new DT5 trains - and 95 of
them still won't work after the new decade has blown in. As soon as a
train reaches the end of the line and has to reverse its direction (and
the train driver must turn it off and walk to the other end to drive it
back), it won't turn on again. At all.
I love it.
"My railway engine won't work."
"Have you tried switching it off and back on again?"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
The Hamburger Abendblatt reports in that an informer told them that this is
attributable to a date problem, with the year flipping from 19 to 20.
I can understand that. Somebody updated the wrong date field. It
probably thinks the year is 1900 or 1919 and the engine should be
running on steam.
Ric
Mike
2020-02-06 08:20:19 UTC
[...]
1.3 Million? I wonder how many might have been Gilliverings?!!!!!!
2020-02-06 06:27:58 UTC
I'm using Thunderbird on Win 10 and the Plusnet server.
Recently I have been getting several posts which appear to have blanks
in all fields (Subject, From, post body etc.) and showing with a
(default) date of 01-Jan-70.
It happens on more than one newsgroup.
1. Is anyotherrat seeing this problem?
I'm using TB on Win 10 with the Berlin server. So far, all seems normal
here, which may suggest it's a Plusnet problem. Or possibly not.

Needless to say, I haven't the smallest idea what may be causing it. :o)
2020-02-06 09:05:12 UTC
I'm using Thunderbird on Win 10 and the Plusnet server.
Recently I have been getting several posts which appear to have blanks
in all fields (Subject, From, post body etc.) and showing with a
(default) date of 01-Jan-70.
It happens on more than one newsgroup.
1. Is anyotherrat seeing this problem?
2. Any idea if this is anything to do with the delayed Millennium bug -
where some software systems were crudely patched to kick the problem
down the road by 20 years (i.e. 'til 1 Jan 2020)?
(As mentioned by "The Register")
I haven't seen this, so far at least, despite also using Thunderbird on
Win 10 and the Plusnet server.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
Penny
2020-02-06 10:00:53 UTC
On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 21:46:34 +0000, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
I'm using Thunderbird on Win 10 and the Plusnet server.
Recently I have been getting several posts which appear to have blanks
in all fields (Subject, From, post body etc.) and showing with a
(default) date of 01-Jan-70.
It happens on more than one newsgroup.
1. Is anyotherrat seeing this problem?
2. Any idea if this is anything to do with the delayed Millennium bug -
where some software systems were crudely patched to kick the problem
down the road by 20 years (i.e. 'til 1 Jan 2020)?
(As mentioned by "The Register")
Something slightly odd is happening with the Plusnet server but on my
ancient Agent I haven't received any empty posts. I have noticed a lengthy
delay between seeing the number of posts it's getting for umra and them
actually downloading and some posts are arriving long after they were sent
and I've already seen replies to them.
2020-02-06 11:59:13 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
I'm using Thunderbird on Win 10 and the Plusnet server.
Recently I have been getting several posts which appear to have blanks
in all fields (Subject, From, post body etc.) and showing with a
(default) date of 01-Jan-70.
It happens on more than one newsgroup.
1. Is anyotherrat seeing this problem?
2. Any idea if this is anything to do with the delayed Millennium bug -
where some software systems were crudely patched to kick the problem
down the road by 20 years (i.e. 'til 1 Jan 2020)?
(As mentioned by "The Register")
Something slightly odd is happening with the Plusnet server but on my
ancient Agent I haven't received any empty posts. I have noticed a lengthy
delay between seeing the number of posts it's getting for umra and them
actually downloading and some posts are arriving long after they were sent
and I've already seen replies to them.
The Two Ronnies did summat like that!
2020-02-06 13:36:44 UTC
Something slightly odd is happening with the Plusnet server but on my
ancient Agent I haven't received any empty posts. I have noticed a lengthy
delay between seeing the number of posts it's getting for umra and them
actually downloading and some posts are arriving long after they were sent
and I've already seen replies to them.
The Two Ronnies did summat like that!

As good as ever ... though possibly needing some historical knowledge
for full enjoyment.

User Error: Replace user, hit any key to continue.
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-06 13:29:41 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
I'm using Thunderbird on Win 10 and the Plusnet server.
Recently I have been getting several posts which appear to have blanks
in all fields (Subject, From, post body etc.) and showing with a
(default) date of 01-Jan-70.
It happens on more than one newsgroup.
1. Is anyotherrat seeing this problem?
2. Any idea if this is anything to do with the delayed Millennium bug -
where some software systems were crudely patched to kick the problem
down the road by 20 years (i.e. 'til 1 Jan 2020)?
(As mentioned by "The Register")
Something slightly odd is happening with the Plusnet server but on my
ancient Agent I haven't received any empty posts. I have noticed a lengthy
delay between seeing the number of posts it's getting for umra and them
actually downloading and some posts are arriving long after they were sent
and I've already seen replies to them.
I have noticed fb replies to posts are shown to me and then the emails
telling me I got replies come much later if at all.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-02-06 16:18:42 UTC
I have noticed fb replies to posts are shown to me and then the emails
telling me I got replies come much later if at all.
Ooh, you're back! This is the first post I've seen of yours for several
days :)
I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.
Flop
2020-02-06 15:30:07 UTC
I'm using Thunderbird on Win 10 and the Plusnet server.
Recently I have been getting several posts which appear to have blanks
in all fields (Subject, From, post body etc.) and showing with a
(default) date of 01-Jan-70.
It happens on more than one newsgroup.
1. Is anyotherrat seeing this problem?
2. Any idea if this is anything to do with the delayed Millennium bug -
where some software systems were crudely patched to kick the problem
down the road by 20 years (i.e. 'til 1 Jan 2020)?
(As mentioned by "The Register")
I have had similar problems. Usenet post showing blank (though if you go
to another message which then loads normally, then back to the blank
message, the blank one loads).

Also blank websites. The website never loads; other websites are fine.
However, if you go through a third party eg Google, put the website in
google, google returns a link - which then loads.

This sort of hints to DNS problems. I have same setup as you (TB, Win10
and PN).

I changed my DNS servers and it worked!
Try:

Whether it will stay solved I dont know and I have not had a blank
Usenet post yet. (But I dont know if I would have had one anyway) :-(

best of luck
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
Sam Plusnet
2020-02-06 20:44:07 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Sam Plusnet
I'm using Thunderbird on Win 10 and the Plusnet server.
Recently I have been getting several posts which appear to have blanks
in all fields (Subject, From, post body etc.) and showing with a
(default) date of 01-Jan-70.
It happens on more than one newsgroup.
1. Is anyotherrat seeing this problem?
2. Any idea if this is anything to do with the delayed Millennium bug
- where some software systems were crudely patched to kick the problem
down the road by 20 years (i.e. 'til 1 Jan 2020)?
(As mentioned by "The Register")
I have had similar problems. Usenet post showing blank (though if you go
to another message which then loads normally, then back to the blank
message, the blank one loads).
Thanks. I shall try that - since it seems probable that some of those
"blank" posts really are genuine posts, because I later see responses to
posts which I don't have.
Post by Flop
Also blank websites. The website never loads; other websites are fine.
However, if you go through a third party eg Google, put the website in
google, google returns a link - which then loads.
This sort of hints to DNS problems. I have same setup as you (TB, Win10
and PN).
I changed my DNS servers and it worked!
http://youtu.be/htybu4-UEHY
I haven't noticed this problem. Do DNS servers figure in getting
individual usenet posts?
Post by Flop
Whether it will stay solved I dont know and I have not had a blank
Usenet post yet. (But I dont know if I would have had one anyway) :-(
best of luck
Thanks.