Ask EU: House Insurance
2020-11-03 10:36:10 UTC
It's house insurance renewal time soon and waife is looking at
alternatives. We're currently with John Lewis and pay about £60/month.
M&S come out at considerably more, but the Meerkats are suggesting
policies at about half what we are paying now, although we haven't
compared what is included.

What would umrats suggest ?

TIA
Joe Kerr
2020-11-03 11:43:34 UTC
It's house insurance renewal time soon and waife is looking at
alternatives. We're currently with John Lewis and pay about £60/month.
M&S come out at considerably more, but the Meerkats are suggesting
policies at about half what we are paying now, although we haven't
compared what is included.
What would umrats suggest ?
TIA
I would suggest using a broker who will look round for a good deal
rather than going direct to an insurer who will, it seems, keep charging
increasing amounts for the same cover.

Your offer seems rather high to me.

The AA (no need to be a member) seem to offer a good service.

Adrian Flux seems to offer a good service (and have really friendly and
helpful staff).

You could do worse than talk to either of them.

I have no confidence in the comparison sites since the cheapest deal I
found on one site was the same policy as the most expensive on the other
(by which I mean same policy, different price).
Ric
198kHz
2020-11-03 11:58:16 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by BrritSki
[...]
It does seem somewhat high.
I searched around a lot a few years ago and went with LV=. Yearly
renewals have only increased marginally, and Which? rate them highly.
198kHz
Philip Hole
2020-11-03 13:38:02 UTC
Post by 198kHz
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by BrritSki
[...]
For years we have had all our insurance with LV= (including LV= from
Nationwide).

With a little push* their premiums are well within reasonable.

The main deciding factor is that their Customer Service is exemplary.
Very helpful and based in Bournemouth.

* £320 car premium was a little high. Rang them to say that I could get
it for £300 elsewhere. "Can you match it?".

"Best we can do for you is £270" :-)
Flop
BrritSki
2020-11-03 13:55:42 UTC
Post by Philip Hole
Post by 198kHz
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems that our problem is that there
was once some subsidence caused by a neighbour's tree that has long gone
(and the damage repaired). We have been honest enough to report it :/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-11-03 14:12:40 UTC
Post by 198kHz
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by BrritSki
It's house insurance renewal time soon and waife is looking at
[]
Post by 198kHz
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by BrritSki
What would umrats suggest ?
TIA
I would suggest using a broker who will look round for a good deal
rather than going direct to an insurer who will, it seems, keep
charging increasing amounts for the same cover.
I don't know if house is the same, but it probably is: for car, I go to
moneysavingexpert, who tell you what _order_ to try the comparison sites
in, and also list the companies that don't appear on comparison sites.

According to the recent series of Ripoff Britain, there's legislation in
the pipeline to make insurers offer at renewal no more than a new
customer will be offered. Good as far as it goes, but (a) I expect it'll
be ages before it comes through, (b) it'll probably only apply to
insurance [should be utilities (including broadband and 'phone), service
contracts, etc. too], (c) they'll find some way round it anyway )-:.
[]
Post by 198kHz
Post by Joe Kerr
I have no confidence in the comparison sites since the cheapest deal
I found on one site was the same policy as the most expensive on the
other (by which I mean same policy, different price).
I haven't tried for home, but for car I've mostly found they're similar
(to my surprise, AA and RAC were among the unheard-of ones near the
cheap end).
Post by 198kHz
It does seem somewhat high.
I searched around a lot a few years ago and went with LV=. Yearly
renewals have only increased marginally, and Which? rate them highly.
(Again this is for car, but I suspect house too:) I think there are only
about five or ten real insurance companies - all the multitude of funny
names are actually allied to one of the big ones. (Some of which are not
that well-known.) Though they probably do have different ways of working
- I know PlusNet is part of BT, but certainly are a lot better than BT!

Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove
that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are
right. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)
Mike Headon
2020-11-04 13:53:51 UTC
Post by 198kHz
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Yes, I went to LV after JL would not reduce my premium after many years
of custom.
--
Mike Headon
R69S R850R
Philip Hole
2020-11-03 11:55:27 UTC
It's house insurance renewal time soon and waife is looking at
alternatives. We're currently with John Lewis and pay about £60/month.
M&S come out at considerably more, but the Meerkats are suggesting
policies at about half what we are paying now, although we haven't
compared what is included.
What would umrats suggest ?
TIA
Go to one of the comparison sites and make a list of price and factors
(eg excess).

Then look at reviews. Some insurance companies deny everything. Others
cough up quickly and painfully.

Alternatively, find a local insurance broker. They *will* try and get
the best for you and many have a reputation for chasing claims on your
behalf.
Flop
Penny
2020-11-03 15:15:49 UTC
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 11:55:27 +0000, Philip Hole <***@theholefamily.org>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Philip Hole
Post by BrritSki
It's house insurance renewal time soon and waife is looking at
alternatives. We're currently with John Lewis and pay about £60/month.
M&S come out at considerably more, but the Meerkats are suggesting
policies at about half what we are paying now, although we haven't
compared what is included.
What would umrats suggest ?
TIA
Go to one of the comparison sites and make a list of price and factors
(eg excess).
Then look at reviews. Some insurance companies deny everything. Others
cough up quickly and painfully.
Good point, you only find out how rubbish your house insurance is when you
make a claim. I won't touch Aviva (previously Norwich Union) with a
social-distancing stick since they made such a pig's ear of sorting out
damage caused by a burglary.

That said, having moved to a very different house in a far less
burglar-prone area, I have been using More Than - flat rate for buildings
and contents (I hate trying to figure out value of contents and still have
far too much 'stuff') based on number of rooms, I think. I don't claim for
things like 'accidental damage' (unless it is disastrous like a car coming
through the wall) as any claim puts the premiums up for years. Their prices
seem very reasonable.
2020-11-03 16:58:09 UTC
Post by Philip Hole
Post by BrritSki
[...]
When living in a house owned by Berkshire County Council, I was responsible
for my contents insurance whilst they insured the property. When disaster
struck and the ceiling in the living room got tired and decided to sit on
the carpet and furniture instead, I had a devil of a job claiming for
damage contents; each part disowned any responsibility by claiming it was
the liability of the other party:-(((
Steve Hague
2020-11-03 19:21:49 UTC
Post by Philip Hole
Post by BrritSki
It's house insurance renewal time soon and waife is looking at
alternatives. We're currently with John Lewis and pay about £60/month.
M&S come out at considerably more, but the Meerkats are suggesting
policies at about half what we are paying now, although we haven't
compared what is included.
What would umrats suggest ?
TIA
Go to one of the comparison sites and make a list of price and factors
(eg excess).
Then look at reviews. Some insurance companies deny everything. Others
cough up quickly and painfully.
Alternatively, find a local insurance broker. They *will* try and get
the best for you and many have a reputation for chasing claims on your
behalf.
Insrance companies live in a different universe to the rest of us.
Coming back from Stevenage in July, a taxi pulled out in front of us on
the Stonehenge West roundabout on the A303 with the driver not even
glancing in our direction. I braked sharply, and the van behind us hit
us, not at any great speed, we suffered a dented back bumper and cracked
lens cluster. We felt sorry for the van driver, it was really the taxi
driver who'd caused the accident. Our car was a Peugeot 206 diesel with
about 115k on the clock, recently serviced and MOTd, in good condition,
and the insurance company declared it a write off!
2020-11-03 18:54:08 UTC
It's house insurance renewal time soon and waife is looking at
alternatives. We're currently with John Lewis and pay about £60/month.
M&S come out at considerably more, but the Meerkats are suggesting
policies at about half what we are paying now, although we haven't
compared what is included.
What would umrats suggest ?
TIA
My first thought was "Building, Contents - or both?"

Since no-one else has asked I'm guessing it is both, but we've always
had separate cover for each.

Careful comparisons of cover and fine-print exclusions seem essential
before picking one of the really cheap offers.