So, farewell then ...
2018-10-06 15:15:30 UTC
(I had to Google; for some reason I'd remembered E. j. Thribb [so that's
what I googled], but I couldn't remember the preferred subject line.)

... Montserrat Caballé. To paraphrase the common saying, it _is_ all
over now; I think she was probably the last of the Brunnhilde-shaped
opera singers, the well-known ones anyway. Modern ones - like Kiri and
especially Lesley Garrett - seem able to achieve the effect while still
being thinner/smaller. (Pauline Quirke did a programme with LG in which
she and her co-Bird had a go at it, and would have upheld the tradition
[IMO she was quite good {I don't like the sound of the soprano voice,
but can appreciate the skill involved}], but obviously stayed with her
day job.)

... and Galton of Galton and Simpson, the comedy writer.

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I
have one. -Cato the Elder, statesman, soldier, and writer (234-149 BCE)
Nick Odell
2018-10-06 15:47:10 UTC
(I had to Google; for some reason I'd remembered E. j. Thribb [so that's
what I googled], but I couldn't remember the preferred subject line.)
... Montserrat Caballé. To paraphrase the common saying, it _is_ all
over now; I think she was probably the last of the Brunnhilde-shaped
opera singers, the well-known ones anyway. Modern ones - like Kiri and
especially Lesley Garrett - seem able to achieve the effect while still
being thinner/smaller. (Pauline Quirke did a programme with LG in which
she and her co-Bird had a go at it, and would have upheld the tradition
[IMO she was quite good {I don't like the sound of the soprano voice,
but can appreciate the skill involved}], but obviously stayed with her
day job.)
... and Galton of Galton and Simpson, the comedy writer.
I'm sure they do it on purpose. Ray Galton appears to have popped his
clogs just before "Last Word" was broadcast on Friday and Sra Caballé
between the original and the repeat.

2018-10-06 15:48:34 UTC
I'm sure they do it on purpose. Ray Galton appears to have popped his
clogs just before "Last Word" was broadcast on Friday and Sra Caballé
between the original and the repeat.
On the up side, they'll have the maximum time to prepare decent obits.
2018-10-06 16:59:21 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Nick Odell
I'm sure they do it on purpose. Ray Galton appears to have popped his
clogs just before "Last Word" was broadcast on Friday and Sra Caballé
between the original and the repeat.
On the up side, they'll have the maximum time to prepare decent obits.
I hope so. You could easily write entire programmes about either. They
probably will, of course, and I'm rather looking forward to it.

But JPeg, I do take exception to your statement
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Modern ones - like Kiri and especially Lesley Garrett - seem able to achieve the effect while still being thinner/smaller.
Kiri in her heyday wasn't as huge as Caballe, but she was never exactly
small or thin. Am not a fan of La Garrett, so will refrain from
criticising her voice except to say she's no Kiri. But Caballe sang like
no-one else sings today. Just listen to, for example, arias from
Trovatore sung by her and by Anna Netrebko, one of today's most feted
sopranos, lots on YouTube - Netrebko sounds (and looks) effortful,
strained, and over-acts to cover this. Caballe just stands there and
opens her mouth and this glorious noise streams forth - full of emotion,
deeply expressive, her gestures are grand but you know exactly what
she's conveying. Old school opera of the very, very best. And no-one can
do pianissimi like she could. Not even Kiri.

Could she have done it as fabulously if she'd lost a few stone? Perhaps
- but perhaps not. If your muscles are strong, that ballast gives you
support and power - Caballe's breath control was phenomenal. Callas
never sang as well once she'd lost the weight, even though her acting
and expression were stunning enough that you didn't really mind. I'm
sure Caballe didn't want to risk that. And it's not as if she was
particularly unhealthy, she made it to 85, after all.

I'm all for the Gesamtkunstwerk of opera - where your ears and eyes and
mind are delighted in equal proportions. But when you get a voice like
that, there's no point in quibbling, you just have to surrender.
2018-10-08 20:31:28 UTC
(I had to Google; for some reason I'd remembered E. j. Thribb [so that's
what I googled], but I couldn't remember the preferred subject line.)
... Montserrat Caballé. To paraphrase the common saying, it _is_ all
over now; I think she was probably the last of the Brunnhilde-shaped
opera singers, the well-known ones anyway. Modern ones - like Kiri and
especially Lesley Garrett -
<snip>

I was interested in your description of Te Kanawa & Garrett as "modern"
in comparison to Caballé, so I googled DOBs.

Caballé 1933
Te Kanawa 1944
Garett 1955
2018-10-09 01:38:29 UTC
(I had to Google; for some reason I'd remembered E. j. Thribb [so
that's what I googled], but I couldn't remember the preferred subject
line.)
... Montserrat Caballé. To paraphrase the common saying, it _is_ all
over now; I think she was probably the last of the Brunnhilde-shaped
opera singers, the well-known ones anyway. Modern ones - like Kiri and
especially Lesley Garrett -
<snip>
I was interested in your description of Te Kanawa & Garrett as "modern"
in comparison to Caballé, so I googled DOBs.
Caballé 1933
Te Kanawa 1944
Garett 1955
Yes, but Kiri didn't start as a soprano: she started as a night-club (or
something similar) singer in NZ, until someone said she could do the
operatic thing. I have (somewhere!) a CD of her from that time - I
actually prefer it (as I've said, I don't actually like the sound of the
operatic soprano). I'm surprised LG is older than me, though. Pleasing
progression of the dates!

... of the two little boxes in the corner of your room, the one without the
pictures is the one that opens the mind. - Stuart Maconie in Radio Times,
2008/10/11-17