Off Topic: Renewal of Driving Licence
Add Reply
Mike Ruddock
2021-06-29 10:23:00 UTC
I am growing old (I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled) and
long ago I entered the zone where DVLA writes to me every three years to
ask if I consider myself fit to drive.
I have just noticed that the latest photo driving licence expired in
October 2020, so I am technically breaking the law if I drive my car.

Can anyone tell me if the usual requests for self certification have
been sent out during the variuos covid lockdowns?

I could go online to find out, but reports in the press seem to indicate
that strikes and various other conditions have rendered DVLA impossible
to comminucate with atm.

Mike Ruddock
Nick Leverton
2021-06-29 10:29:04 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I am growing old (I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled) and
long ago I entered the zone where DVLA writes to me every three years to
ask if I consider myself fit to drive.
I have just noticed that the latest photo driving licence expired in
October 2020, so I am technically breaking the law if I drive my car.
Can anyone tell me if the usual requests for self certification have
been sent out during the variuos covid lockdowns?
I could go online to find out, but reports in the press seem to indicate
that strikes and various other conditions have rendered DVLA impossible
to comminucate with atm.
Driving licences falling due for renewal last year have been automatically
extended:

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
"If your licence expired between 1 February and 31 December 2020
Your driving licence or entitlement to drive in the UK was automatically extended for 11
months. This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

The extension started from the date your licence was due to expire
Renew your licence as normal if it expires on or after 1 January 2021."

We will be restoring normality as soon as we are sure what is normal anyway.
- Douglas Adams
Chris J Dixon
2021-06-30 07:49:20 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
So, it is time to renew my driving licence again, another reward
for seniority. "Save time, do it online!" the paperwork suggests.

Great idea, only my passport, from which they need to take the
photo, (3 years old) is, according to them, "invalid".
A quick search suggest it is some glitch with the digital
signature of recent passports (1), but I don't see them fixing
that any time soon.

Looks like I will have to do myself another mug shot and send
everything off to join a large pile in Swansea.

There does seem to be the option of using the Post Office
service, where they take a mug shot, check the paperwork and send
it digitally to the DVLA, for £4.50.

The only upside is that it doesn't stop me from driving.

(1)
<https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/driving-1/2021-04/dvla-confirms-that-some-over-70s-licence-renewals-cannot-be-done-online/>

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.
Tony Smith
2021-06-30 08:42:59 UTC
How nice to still have a Post Office. We "kalloi k'agathoi" in Prestbury have lost ours and would have to go down among the "hoi polloi" a mile away in Whaddon to find a post office.
Chris J Dixon
2021-06-30 11:55:10 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by Chris J Dixon
There does seem to be the option of using the Post Office
service, where they take a mug shot, check the paperwork and send
it digitally to the DVLA, for £4.50.
How nice to still have a Post Office. We "kalloi k'agathoi" in Prestbury have lost ours and would have to go down among the "hoi polloi" a mile away in Whaddon to find a post office.
Well, we do still have one in the village, but for the licence
service I need to go to Loughborough 4 miles away.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.
Tony Smith
2021-07-01 16:05:54 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
"kalloi k'agathoi"
kaloi
Penny
2021-06-30 10:01:17 UTC
On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 08:49:20 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
So, it is time to renew my driving licence again, another reward
for seniority. "Save time, do it online!" the paperwork suggests.
Great idea, only my passport, from which they need to take the
photo, (3 years old) is, according to them, "invalid".
A quick search suggest it is some glitch with the digital
signature of recent passports (1), but I don't see them fixing
that any time soon.
Looks like I will have to do myself another mug shot and send
everything off to join a large pile in Swansea.
As I read it (I don't have a valid passport) you only need a passport if
you want to update the photo on your current licence, which already has a
digital signature - mine was done at the Post Office, I don't recall a fee.
I'll have to renew mine next spring and the tiny, rather pale, photo still
looks enough like me.
2021-06-30 12:02:14 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
So, it is time to renew my driving licence again, another reward
for seniority. "Save time, do it online!" the paperwork suggests.
Great idea, only my passport, from which they need to take the
photo, (3 years old) is, according to them, "invalid".
A quick search suggest it is some glitch with the digital
signature of recent passports (1), but I don't see them fixing
that any time soon.
Looks like I will have to do myself another mug shot and send
everything off to join a large pile in Swansea.
As I read it (I don't have a valid passport) you only need a passport if
you want to update the photo on your current licence, which already has a
digital signature - mine was done at the Post Office, I don't recall a fee.
I'll have to renew mine next spring and the tiny, rather pale, photo still
looks enough like me.
My D46P tells me that I _must_ provide a photo. I have no idea if
that is because they have no working link to my current passport,
and the previous one (which IIRC enabled them to grab the photo
on the expiring licence) is therefore too old, or it is simply a
mistake. Whatever the cause, in the present circumstances, I have
no realistic option other than to accept it and jump through the
hoop.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-06-30 17:44:21 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
Chris
Asit happens I got a letter today saying to renew by completing the
enclosed form and mailing it back(no stamp onit, I will have
toprovide) or doing it online. it does ask for a photo and signature
though. I was going to try online first. It said licence back in a
week if online.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-06-30 13:17:24 UTC
On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 at 08:49:20, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
Post by Chris J Dixon
There does seem to be the option of using the Post Office
service, where they take a mug shot, check the paperwork and send
it digitally to the DVLA, for £4.50.
[]
Hmm, digitally. I presume that includes the mugshot.

ISTR last time I had to send in a photo to a government agency, they
actually wanted one actually on paper. Which seemed silly - since what I
sent them was taken on a digital camera (I think I used the one in this
laptop), then printed out. (I bought some glossy paper; I haven't used
any more of it since!) All that means is that they re-scanned that
picture, thus applying further degradation.

Veni, Vidi, Vomit (I came, I saw, I was ill) - ***@saslimited.demon.co.uk, 1998
Mike Ruddock
2021-06-30 08:41:15 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Mike Ruddock
I am growing old (I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled) and
long ago I entered the zone where DVLA writes to me every three years to
ask if I consider myself fit to drive.
I have just noticed that the latest photo driving licence expired in
October 2020, so I am technically breaking the law if I drive my car.
Can anyone tell me if the usual requests for self certification have
been sent out during the variuos covid lockdowns?
I could go online to find out, but reports in the press seem to indicate
that strikes and various other conditions have rendered DVLA impossible
to comminucate with atm.
Driving licences falling due for renewal last year have been automatically
extended:Thanks
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
"If your licence expired between 1 February and 31 December 2020
Your driving licence or entitlement to drive in the UK was automatically extended for 11
months. This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
The extension started from the date your licence was due to expire
Renew your licence as normal if it expires on or after 1 January 2021."
Nick
Thanks for that, Nick. Relieves my mind a lot.

I have another query which you or other umrats may be able to help with.
Today I received an email from a sender calling itself SERVICE
MANAGEMENT (yes, all in caps) with an email address <***@msm.com>
The email purports to be from Britsh Telecom and says that unless I
agree to new terms and conditions they will cut off acces to my email
account.
Alarming, particularly as this will come into effect as from, and I
quote "31 June" a date unknown to the calendar. There are several links
to enable me to view the new T&C but each one of these takes me a page
which says, in effect "This page is dodgy"

Am i correct in assuming that this is a scam? (And a boodly clumsy one
at that!)

Has anyone else come across this one?

Mike Ruddock
Nick Leverton
2021-06-30 09:23:43 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Nick Leverton
Driving licences falling due for renewal last year have been automatically
extended:Thanks
Thanks for that, Nick. Relieves my mind a lot.
You're very welcome.
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have another query which you or other umrats may be able to help with.
Today I received an email from a sender calling itself SERVICE
The email purports to be from Britsh Telecom and says that unless I
agree to new terms and conditions they will cut off acces to my email
account.
Alarming, particularly as this will come into effect as from, and I
quote "31 June" a date unknown to the calendar. There are several links
to enable me to view the new T&C but each one of these takes me a page
which says, in effect "This page is dodgy"
Am i correct in assuming that this is a scam? (And a boodly clumsy one
at that!)
Has anyone else come across this one?
Very much characteristic of a clumsy attempt at malware distribution,
yes I think Mike. Can't see any quite like that in my spam folder but
they are probably customising it for your btinternet address. I do
get a lot of notifications that my email is about to be suspended for
a variety of spurious reasons - I know these mails are wholly spurious
as I run my own email service.

We will be restoring normality as soon as we are sure what is normal anyway.
- Douglas Adams
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-06-30 13:32:55 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have another query which you or other umrats may be able to help with.
Today I received an email from a sender calling itself SERVICE
The email purports to be from Britsh Telecom and says that unless I
agree to new terms and conditions they will cut off acces to my email
account.
I can't remember getting such a dodgy email (actually, I don't think
I've had more than about two dodgy emails this year), but I often get
'phone calls saying my internet will be cut off (usually "because of
some illegal activity"). Touch wood, none for a few days - I've had up
to four in a day. (Mid-morning seems to be the commonest time.) Often,
as another has said, synthesized voice; I guess that way they can use
fewer humans.
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Mike Ruddock
Alarming, particularly as this will come into effect as from, and I
quote "31 June" a date unknown to the calendar. There are several links
So, were it genuine, you could complain that it didn't happen on the
specified date (-:

[OT: I remember in childhood having a book called "The Thirty-First of
June", or something like that. IIRR, it was whimsical fantasy. Can't
remember anything about it, other than I think the dust-jacket was dark
orange with black printing.]
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Mike Ruddock
to enable me to view the new T&C but each one of these takes me a page
which says, in effect "This page is dodgy"
It'll be your browser - or something else at your end - that said that,
not the page.
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Mike Ruddock
Am i correct in assuming that this is a scam? (And a boodly clumsy one
at that!)
Indeed.
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Mike Ruddock
Has anyone else come across this one?
(Not that precise one, no. Plenty of incompetent stuff though.)
Post by Nick Leverton
Very much characteristic of a clumsy attempt at malware distribution,
Yes, I suppose that's slightly quicker than a 'phone call having to lead
you through downloading such malware.
Post by Nick Leverton
yes I think Mike. Can't see any quite like that in my spam folder but
they are probably customising it for your btinternet address. I do
get a lot of notifications that my email is about to be suspended for
a variety of spurious reasons - I know these mails are wholly spurious
as I run my own email service.
I wonder if my having my own domain is why I get so few; I can see the
scammers only going for ones with common bits after the @, like
btinternet. Though from the (in)competence they display elsewhere, I'd
have thought such sophistication beyond lots of them.

Philip Hole
2021-06-30 09:30:43 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have another query which you or other umrats may be able to help with.
Today I received an email from a sender calling itself SERVICE
The email purports to be from Britsh Telecom and says that unless I
agree to new terms and conditions they will cut off acces to my email
account.
Alarming, particularly as this will come into effect as from, and I
quote "31 June" a date unknown to the calendar. There are several links
to enable me to view the new T&C but each one of these takes me a page
which says, in effect "This page is dodgy"
Am i correct in assuming that this is a scam? (And a boodly clumsy one
at that!)
Has anyone else come across this one?
The website ticks several scam markers.

1) msm.com will not connect with Firefox which labels it "insecure"

2) WHOIS defines the website as "private" ie not corporate.

3) There are no details of the individual.

4) The registration is in the Cayman Islands and is an anonymising company.

The only (limited) positive is that the domain was created in 1998.
Often scams are very fleeting.

[Is 'Britsh' in the original?]

I think you are fairly safe :-)
Flop
Nick Odell
2021-06-30 09:27:32 UTC
On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 10:30:43 +0100, Philip Hole
Post by Philip Hole
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
I get one, every so often, purporting to be from my nephew who is
always short of money and needs me to bail him out. I know $firstname
$lastname but he isn't related and I know he never writes to me these
days though he did once.

I presume his email account must have been hacked and they guessed the
relationship.

What makes it (slightly) more interesting is that the reply address is
never the same. Sometimes corporate, sometimes personal, always
different I just presume their modus operandus is email hacking and
they blag what money they can whilst they have control of the account.
BICB(AMPA)W.

2021-06-30 17:57:34 UTC
Post by Philip Hole
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Just did the whole form online and have newish passport but
Sorry you cannot continue with your online application.

Your licence is no longer valid and must be renewed. To do this the
photo on your licence must be changed.

It has not been possible to use your passport photo on your driving
licence as DVLA must be able to confirm your identity online and your
UK passport must be valid.

If you need to contact us for further support or information click
here

For other ways to renew you licence, please use the link below.
Chris J Dixon
2021-07-01 06:42:19 UTC
Just did the whole form online and have newish passport but
Sorry you cannot continue with your online application.
Your licence is no longer valid and must be renewed. To do this the
photo on your licence must be changed.
It has not been possible to use your passport photo on your driving
licence as DVLA must be able to confirm your identity online and your
UK passport must be valid.
If you need to contact us for further support or information click
here
For other ways to renew you licence, please use the link below.
Exactly my experience. :-(

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-07-01 07:47:02 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Vicky Ayech
Just did the whole form online and have newish passport but
Sorry you cannot continue with your online application.
Your licence is no longer valid and must be renewed. To do this the
photo on your licence must be changed.
It has not been possible to use your passport photo on your driving
licence as DVLA must be able to confirm your identity online and your
UK passport must be valid.
If you need to contact us for further support or information click
here
For other ways to renew you licence, please use the link below.
Exactly my experience. :-(
Chris
Ok and having filled the paper form in it is not quite the same as the
online one.
And S 5 says no need to fill in unless changing name.OK
And S 6 says no need to sign photo in the information bit. That seems
to mean no need for another person to sign and verify? B thinks I need
to sign the back though?I don't see why I need a photo (or signature)
as I have a passport I renewed in December with both photo and
signature. And a current photo driving licence which is only 3 years
old.
Chris J Dixon
2021-07-01 12:25:46 UTC
Ok and having filled the paper form in it is not quite the same as the
online one.
And S 5 says no need to fill in unless changing name.OK
And S 6 says no need to sign photo in the information bit. That seems
to mean no need for another person to sign and verify? B thinks I need
to sign the back though?I don't see why I need a photo (or signature)
as I have a passport I renewed in December with both photo and
signature. And a current photo driving licence which is only 3 years
old.
I agree with you, there doesn't seem to be a requirement to sign
the back of the photo in these circumstances.

I plan to try the Post Office route in a week or two. It seems
cheap for the convenience, and possible speed, especially when
you subtract the cost of posting it yourself.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-07-01 17:00:45 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Vicky Ayech
Ok and having filled the paper form in it is not quite the same as the
online one.
And S 5 says no need to fill in unless changing name.OK
And S 6 says no need to sign photo in the information bit. That seems
to mean no need for another person to sign and verify? B thinks I need
to sign the back though?I don't see why I need a photo (or signature)
as I have a passport I renewed in December with both photo and
signature. And a current photo driving licence which is only 3 years
old.
I agree with you, there doesn't seem to be a requirement to sign
the back of the photo in these circumstances.
I plan to try the Post Office route in a week or two. It seems
cheap for the convenience, and possible speed, especially when
you subtract the cost of posting it yourself.
Chris
I did the PO route today. They are very helpful. I didn't need to sign
the photo, they took the photo(awful one) and that was all I had to
pay for.In order to get a free renewal though I had to include my
current licence and had not taken it so not posted the stuff yet as
had to come home to putthat in. You need to put a stamp on the
envelope even if doing it at the PO. All it cost was 5 or 6 pounds for
the photos.
Chris J Dixon
2021-07-01 18:06:47 UTC
I did the PO route today. They are very helpful. I didn't need to sign
the photo, they took the photo(awful one) and that was all I had to
pay for.In order to get a free renewal though I had to include my
current licence and had not taken it so not posted the stuff yet as
had to come home to putthat in. You need to put a stamp on the
envelope even if doing it at the PO. All it cost was 5 or 6 pounds for
the photos.
According to
<https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/renew-driving-licence>

"How to renew your driving licence

It will cost you a total of £21.50 (including DVLA fees) to renew
your driving licence.

Bring your renewal reminder and your photocard driving licence
(if you have it), along with any items requested by DVLA.

We'll take your photo, capture your signature and even submit a
change of address if applicable.

The DVLA charges £17 to renew your driving licence. We’ll just
charge a further £4.50 to take your photo, check your application
and send it securely to the DVLA. That's a total of £21.50.

We will send off your application electronically, and you should
have your new licence within 3 weeks. We'll also take your old
driving licence and send it back to the DVLA for you."

So, I would have expected to pay £4.50 (since the DVLA do not
charge for over 70 renewal), and that the submission would be
done electronically.

If it still goes by snail mail, and I have to pay postage, I may
just as well take and print my own unrecognisable horrid selfie.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-07-01 19:52:37 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
The instructions for the photo are very specific and B took photos and
we were not confident they were ok. We've had problems with other
organisations and my photo. It was just a second class stamp.
Penny
2021-06-30 09:57:08 UTC
On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 09:41:15 +0100, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
Today I received an email from a sender calling itself SERVICE
The email purports to be from Britsh Telecom and says that unless I
agree to new terms and conditions they will cut off acces to my email
account.
Alarming, particularly as this will come into effect as from, and I
quote "31 June" a date unknown to the calendar. There are several links
to enable me to view the new T&C but each one of these takes me a page
which says, in effect "This page is dodgy"
Am i correct in assuming that this is a scam? (And a boodly clumsy one
at that!)
I would say so. They say scammers are after the less intelligent who would
not a) have software which warned them of dodgy sites and b) would not
notice the impossible date.

I was surprised by my own reaction to phone call I got during my recent
illness. A robotic recorded message told me BT had noticed suspicious
activity on my landline or broadband and they would be cutting it off in 3
days. If I thought this was an error I should press 1 to speak to an
executive. I hung up but pondered on this for ages wondering if it actually
was a scam, bearing in mind I don't have BT as my telephone or broadband
provider and if I did it should have been a targeted call from a real
person, not a recording.

I can now appreciate how people, particularly the elderly, get worried and
confused by such things - I don't think it would worry me today although my
brain still doesn't feel quite right.

But the sender calling itself SERVICE MANAGEMENT is, sadly, too often the
case with real companies. Emails from Ordnance Survey apparently come from
Customer Services, which could be anyone, if I hadn't set a filter to label
them. Similarly, my bank heralds itself as donotreply on some emails and my
house insurers as noreply.

Which reminds me of this story
<https://notalwaysright.com/the-worst-kind-of-clickbait/235750/>
2021-06-30 20:00:41 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
I am very 'fond'[1] of organisations who phone _me_ and then insist that
_I_ prove my identity by answering a number of personal questions.

Any suggestion that they prove their identity is met with puzzlement.

[1] Not really.
2021-07-01 13:23:59 UTC
I am very 'fond'[1] of organisations who phone _me_ and then insist that
_I_ prove my identity by answering a number of personal questions.
Any suggestion that they prove their identity is met with puzzlement.
I gave my bank a word to use if they wished to phone me. As they have
now closed the branch I wonder what will happen if their call centre
ever tries to call me?
2021-07-01 20:21:53 UTC
I am very 'fond'[1] of organisations who phone _me_ and then insist
that _I_ prove my identity by answering a number of personal questions.
Any suggestion that they prove their identity is met with puzzlement.
I gave my bank a word to use if they wished to phone me.  As they have
now closed the branch I wonder what will happen if their call centre
ever tries to call me?
We moved 200 miles away from 'our branch' 40 years ago.
We don't visit it very often (if indeed if is still there).
2021-06-30 09:59:49 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have another query which you or other umrats may be able to help with.
Today I received an email from a sender calling itself SERVICE
The email purports to be from Britsh Telecom and says that unless I
agree to new terms and conditions they will cut off acces to my email
account.
Alarming, particularly as this will come into effect as from, and I
quote "31 June" a date unknown to the calendar. There are several links
to enable me to view the new T&C but each one of these takes me a page
which says, in effect "This page is dodgy"
Am i correct in assuming that this is a scam? (And a boodly clumsy one
at that!)
Ignore it, Mike. It is what we tech wizards call "total bollocks".

I get loads of similar stuff saying that my email/internet will be cut
off unless... I just delete them all - unread, now that I've learned to
recognise them from the subject heading/sender.
--
Sid
2021-06-30 10:32:43 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Yup, it is a scam; I’m getting lots at the moment from addresses with a
random string of numbers and letters succeeded by a dot then ba then
another dot then it. All are sent on their merry way to
***@phishing.gov.uk to enjoy.
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Chris
2021-06-29 18:17:03 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I am growing old (I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled) and
long ago I entered the zone where DVLA writes to me every three years to
ask if I consider myself fit to drive.
I have just noticed that the latest photo driving licence expired in
October 2020, so I am technically breaking the law if I drive my car.
Can anyone tell me if the usual requests for self certification have
been sent out during the variuos covid lockdowns?
I could go online to find out, but reports in the press seem to indicate
that strikes and various other conditions have rendered DVLA impossible
to comminucate with atm.
Mike Ruddock
I’m told by one of my late stepmum’s family who works within DVLA that
there have been two strikes, why or what for I have no idea as I hadn’t
heard anything

Sincerely Chris
Min
2021-06-30 00:12:03 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Mike Ruddock
I am growing old (I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled) and
long ago I entered the zone where DVLA writes to me every three years to
ask if I consider myself fit to drive.
I have just noticed that the latest photo driving licence expired in
October 2020, so I am technically breaking the law if I drive my car.
Can anyone tell me if the usual requests for self certification have
been sent out during the variuos covid lockdowns?
I could go online to find out, but reports in the press seem to indicate
that strikes and various other conditions have rendered DVLA impossible
to comminucate with atm.
Mike Ruddock
I’m told by one of my late stepmum’s family who works within DVLA that
there have been two strikes, why or what for I have no idea as I hadn’t
heard anything
Sincerely Chris
An unintended benefit of the Zombie Apocalypse was they forgot to demand
an MOT from me for a year (*after* the 6 months). An unexpected PITA was
not being able to speak to them to sort it out, but my car failed and the scrappy
did the paperwork. I got an unexpected letter from them last week, asking me if
I was still fit to drive with narcolepsy - I did think directing it to my Wonderful
Neurologist (TM) would be a more sensible procedure....
--
Min