Editorial disconnects
2019-06-27 11:58:19 UTC
I reckon that certain recent events are editorial directional changes.

1. I think Lee and so on has been dropped - but reckon that originally
the intention was for a break up followed by a better understanding -
new editor decided to can it - and the ends have never been tidied up
properly.

2. Peggy's money and competition ignores history and gives a massive
hook for the future stories, sadly.

3. Dan and Dorothy - specifically introduced by the last editor to
match Dan & Doris - now thrown away because no-one worked how to use it.

4. Aquaponics shoe-horned in without a proper discourse or explanation
of investment without getting the listeners invested in it.

5. There is a still a polytunnel at Home Farm - so some pickers needed.
No mention whatsoever this year.

6. Why cast Geraldine for a couple of episodes and then get rid of her?
There was no need for it.

I am sure you can all think of more.

There is discontent with the programme amongst listeners because the
stories are being dropped once again and not seen through to conclusions
and (in my view) there are too many stories all at once to ensure they
are properly maintained. I think we are also heading some new writers
so losing continuity in other ways.
2019-06-27 12:28:15 UTC
On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:58:19 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
I reckon that certain recent events are editorial directional changes.
1. I think Lee and so on has been dropped - but reckon that originally
the intention was for a break up followed by a better understanding -
new editor decided to can it - and the ends have never been tidied up
properly.
Please remind me - who is Lee?
Post by krw
2. Peggy's money and competition ignores history and gives a massive
hook for the future stories, sadly.
3. Dan and Dorothy - specifically introduced by the last editor to
match Dan & Doris - now thrown away because no-one worked how to use it.
4. Aquaponics shoe-horned in without a proper discourse or explanation
of investment without getting the listeners invested in it.
5. There is a still a polytunnel at Home Farm - so some pickers needed.
I thought the aquaponics were housed in it.
I can't see Jazzer finding it as rewarding as taking care of pigs though.
Post by krw
6. Why cast Geraldine for a couple of episodes and then get rid of her?
There was no need for it.
I think it highlighted Lizzie's state of mind. I'm sad it turned out the
way it did (partly because I like the actress) but making poor decisions,
or failing to make any decisions are a part of depression. Geraldine has
been a non-speaking mainstay of LL for years but this particular storyline
could not have been shown so clearly as unreliable reported speech.

I am more annoyed by things like the sacking of Emma by Peggy with no
explanation and the silliness of the bunting's reappearance which just
seemed to be a reaction to various vocal fan groups making a constant joke
of it. It would have been better and more believable had Ben or Ruari joked
to each other that Harrison had never figured out it was them who took it.
2019-06-27 13:01:13 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
6. Why cast Geraldine for a couple of episodes and then get rid of her?
There was no need for it.
I think it highlighted Lizzie's state of mind. I'm sad it turned out the
way it did (partly because I like the actress) but making poor decisions,
or failing to make any decisions are a part of depression. Geraldine has
been a non-speaking mainstay of LL for years but this particular storyline
could not have been shown so clearly as unreliable reported speech.
I agree - but we heard one visit to the therapist and reports of a
couple of others and now Lower Loxley has been kicked into the long
grass and reports of Freddie briefly at the Stables. How long does it
take to prove that the licence be re-instated (and in my view for a
one-off offence would not have been removed in the first place).
Post by Penny
I am more annoyed by things like the sacking of Emma by Peggy with no
explanation
So that the team could make Emma's house unachievable but given that
Peggy is the age she is and has had cleaners for years and that Kate has
a full time job it was not justified by the characters.

Post by Penny
seemed to be a reaction to various vocal fan groups making a constant joke
of it. It would have been better and more believable had Ben or Ruari joked
to each other that Harrison had never figured out it was them who took it.
And if we can see that then why not TPTB?

Pip suddenly turns up in the pub with Alice. First time in ages I can
remember she has managed to be heard other than at Brookfield. Given it
is strenuous being a smith would Chris really practice the night before
a competition?
2019-06-27 13:20:09 UTC
In message <qf2emp$a8p$***@gioia.aioe.org>, krw <***@whitnet.uk> writes:
Pip suddenly turns up in the pub with Alice. First time in ages I can
remember she has managed to be heard other than at Brookfield. Given
it is strenuous being a smith would Chris really practice the night
before a competition?
IRTA "practicing" with Alice, at first ... (-:

Apologies to [those] who may have been harmed by the scientific inaccuracies
in this post. - Roger Tilbury in UMRA, 2018-3-14
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-06-27 13:17:23 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
I reckon that certain recent events are editorial directional changes.
1. I think Lee and so on has been dropped - but reckon that originally
the intention was for a break up followed by a better understanding -
new editor decided to can it - and the ends have never been tidied up
properly.
Please remind me - who is Lee?
I'm glad I wasn't the only one trying to remember!
2. Peggy's money and competition ignores history and gives a massive
hook for the future stories, sadly.
Agreed.
3. Dan and Dorothy - specifically introduced by the last editor to
match Dan & Doris - now thrown away because no-one worked how to use it.
I didn't know that.

I was rather hoping that [Jill or Peggy's] new "squeeze" as someone
rather quaintly put it was going to become a "nice" part of the story,
but he seems to have been put in abeyance for a bit. Still might
blossom.
4. Aquaponics shoe-horned in without a proper discourse or explanation
of investment without getting the listeners invested in it.
Agreed. It's potentially a big farming thing.
5. There is a still a polytunnel at Home Farm - so some pickers needed.
I thought the aquaponics were housed in it.
I can't see Jazzer finding it as rewarding as taking care of pigs though.
I think Jazzer is a well-written character. Capable of good work, and
even responsibility, but prone to dropping himself in it in unguarded
moments. (Worrying that I may do the same: I've just been
co-opted/accepted onto my local parish council!)
6. Why cast Geraldine for a couple of episodes and then get rid of her?
There was no need for it.
If that was the aunt Freddie was considering going to, maybe the Best
Friend was keen to appear in TA, but not commit for long? And the SWs
were keen to take advantage of the opportunity? Just a guess.
Post by Penny
I think it highlighted Lizzie's state of mind. I'm sad it turned out the
way it did (partly because I like the actress) but making poor decisions,
or failing to make any decisions are a part of depression. Geraldine has
been a non-speaking mainstay of LL for years but this particular storyline
could not have been shown so clearly as unreliable reported speech.
Agreed. (And I like her too.)
Post by Penny
I am more annoyed by things like the sacking of Emma by Peggy with no
Yes, that seemed out of character. Peggy's character _can_ do things
that seem unkind from time to time, but this seemed out _of_ character -
rather both arbitrary and sudden; arbitrary is not normal for Peggy.
Post by Penny
explanation and the silliness of the bunting's reappearance which just
seemed to be a reaction to various vocal fan groups making a constant joke
(Including UMRA, of course!)
Post by Penny
of it. It would have been better and more believable had Ben or Ruari joked
to each other that Harrison had never figured out it was them who took it.
Good point. The possibility of it being Jim was never proved AFAIAC,
either; it could well have been, but I never had proof. Maybe their
session in the bird hide would have made it more obvious in vision, but
it wasn't to me in just audio.

(The Jim and mystery-man-in-wheelchair story looks interesting. I hope
it's not overdone.)

Re krw's last paragraph: "There is discontent with the programme amongst
listeners because the stories are being dropped once again and not seen
through to conclusions and (in my view) there are too many stories all
at once to ensure they are properly maintained. I think we are also
heading some new writers so losing continuity in other ways." - I agree,
there seem to be too many stories, and it's the "at once" bit. In the
past, multiple threads have been managed, by "resting" some of them (but
keeping the odd mention - not completely omitting them and then bringing
them up suddenly). As for new writers, there have to _be_ new writers
from time to time, obviously: maybe there are too many coming in at
once, and I hope that is not as a result of the new editor.

krw
2019-06-27 14:33:16 UTC
I was rather hoping that [Jill or Peggy's] new "squeeze" as someone
rather quaintly put it was going to become a "nice" part of the story,
but he seems to have been put in abeyance for a bit. Still might blossom.
Leonard has been around for months and they have only just been to see
his house and the "spare" bedroom. Given how noisy Brookfield Farm is
at all times surely they would have had a quiet evening there months ago
and used the spare bedroom, or even the main one?
2019-06-27 14:36:14 UTC
Good point. The possibility of it being Jim was never proved AFAIAC,
either; it could well have been, but I never had proof.
Jazzer said the Button girls did the theft, paid of with cigarettes and
we heard him and Jim discussing the rediscovery of the bunting between
them, making it clear both were involved in winding up Harrison.
2019-06-27 14:37:35 UTC
As for new writers, there have to _be_ new writers from time to time,
obviously: maybe there are too many coming in at once, and I hope that
is not as a result of the new editor.
I accept that - but multiple editors and new writers mean that control
is lost over proper planning and exposition of storylines. It needs
planning and the hope has to be that it will settle down.
2019-06-27 15:28:05 UTC
On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 14:17:23 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
dust...
Post by krw
I reckon that certain recent events are editorial directional changes.
1. I think Lee and so on has been dropped - but reckon that originally
the intention was for a break up followed by a better understanding -
new editor decided to can it - and the ends have never been tidied up
properly.
Please remind me - who is Lee?
I'm glad I wasn't the only one trying to remember!
As I recalled (and krw has confirmed) he was the martial arts instructor
who Helen frightened off. A shame, I think, I hope he returns.
5. There is a still a polytunnel at Home Farm - so some pickers needed.
I thought the aquaponics were housed in it.
I can't see Jazzer finding it as rewarding as taking care of pigs though.
I think Jazzer is a well-written character. Capable of good work, and
even responsibility, but prone to dropping himself in it in unguarded
moments. (Worrying that I may do the same: I've just been
co-opted/accepted onto my local parish council!)
When the husgod was elected onto the PC he deliberately took a 'listening
only' role for the first few meetings until he was so fed up with
discussion of renewing the bylaws sign on the rec which never actually got
anywhere that he volunteered the sign-writer he was employing at the time
to do the job f-o-c.
6. Why cast Geraldine for a couple of episodes and then get rid of her?
There was no need for it.
If that was the aunt Freddie was considering going to, maybe the Best
Friend was keen to appear in TA, but not commit for long? And the SWs
were keen to take advantage of the opportunity? Just a guess.
No, no, that was the well-known Umbrella. Geraldine was played by the woman
who plays a mid-wife on the TV lunchtime soap 'Doctors' which is made in
Birmingham so she was handy for the role.
Post by Penny
I am more annoyed by things like the sacking of Emma by Peggy with no
Yes, that seemed out of character. Peggy's character _can_ do things
that seem unkind from time to time, but this seemed out _of_ character -
rather both arbitrary and sudden; arbitrary is not normal for Peggy.
I can still make no sense of it and Kate got moved out fairly quickly
anyway, which came as no surprise. As you say - quite out of character from
Peggy and with no good explanation I can recall.
2019-06-27 18:30:25 UTC
On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 14:17:23 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I am more annoyed by things like the sacking of Emma by Peggy with no
Yes, that seemed out of character. Peggy's character _can_ do things
that seem unkind from time to time, but this seemed out _of_ character -
rather both arbitrary and sudden; arbitrary is not normal for Peggy.
And that was what made Ed more inclined to take the first iffy job
with Tim. I think Peggy firing Emma and Emma being so dispondent was
what made Ed change his mind and Emma urge him to. He was going to
refuse.
I don't remember that. Is she in a yurt now?
Penny
2019-06-27 18:34:54 UTC
On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 19:30:25 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
I can still make no sense of it and Kate got moved out fairly quickly
anyway, which came as no surprise. As you say - quite out of character from
Peggy and with no good explanation I can recall.
I don't remember that. Is she in a yurt now?
Staying 'temporarily' with Lilian, isn't she?
Or have I got it all wrong and that's where she was before she tried Peggy?
2019-06-27 18:46:12 UTC
I can still make no sense of it and Kate got moved out fairly quickly
anyway, which came as no surprise. As you say - quite out of character from
Peggy and with no good explanation I can recall.
I don't remember that. Is she in a yurt now?
Staying 'temporarily' with Lilian, isn't she?
Or have I got it all wrong and that's where she was before she tried Peggy?
Yes, she moved in with Peggy when Lilian made it clear she was no longer
welcome at the Dower House.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks
others have thrown at him (David Brinkley)
krw
2019-06-27 22:20:14 UTC
I can still make no sense of it and Kate got moved out fairly quickly
anyway, which came as no surprise. As you say - quite out of character from
Peggy and with no good explanation I can recall.
I don't remember that. Is she in a yurt now?
Staying 'temporarily' with Lilian, isn't she?
Or have I got it all wrong and that's where she was before she tried Peggy?
Yes, she moved in with Peggy when Lilian made it clear she was no longer
welcome at the Dower House.
Still at Peggoi's - borrowed Hilda for cat therapy at the Laurels.
2019-06-28 08:09:48 UTC
I can still make no sense of it and Kate got moved out fairly quickly
anyway, which came as no surprise. As you say - quite out of character from
Peggy and with no good explanation I can recall.
I don't remember that. Is she in a yurt now?
Staying 'temporarily' with Lilian, isn't she?
Or have I got it all wrong and that's where she was before she tried Peggy?
Yes, she moved in with Peggy when Lilian made it clear she was no longer
welcome at the Dower House.
Still at Peggoi's - borrowed Hilda for cat therapy at the Laurels.
Followed by the doctors being called en masse to treat all the inmates for
lacerations and bites?
2019-06-27 14:31:28 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
I reckon that certain recent events are editorial directional changes.
1. I think Lee and so on has been dropped - but reckon that originally
the intention was for a break up followed by a better understanding -
new editor decided to can it - and the ends have never been tidied up
properly.
Please remind me - who is Lee?
Lee was the man teaching judo or similar.
2019-06-27 17:25:51 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
I reckon that certain recent events are editorial directional changes.
1. I think Lee and so on has been dropped - but reckon that originally
the intention was for a break up followed by a better understanding -
new editor decided to can it - and the ends have never been tidied up
properly.
Please remind me - who is Lee?
Lee was the man teaching judo or similar.
Oh yes, I had forgotten who he is too. I liked him and think it a
shame Helen was not allowed a happy relationship. But Toby sticks
around., and so do Russ and Natasha.
Vicky Ayech
2019-07-20 22:12:33 UTC
[...]
I agree with all of that. And then there is the bashing the Grundies,
which gets tiresome. Joe will die but we didn't need gloom over Will
and Ed too. And does Eddie have to be stigmatised as a disadvantage to
a bid? He as lots of local knowledge and I am glad if he does his own
bid. Tom only has a better job because his mum and dad handed him the
pigs and his gran funded other stuff he wanted to do. I want Eddie to
win the competition.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-07-21 02:19:15 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
<***@gmail.com> writes:
I want Eddie to
win the competition.
What do we think would happen if he did?

Would he lose the money, even if he didn't intend to?

If he didn't, what would he/they do? I suppose the obvious would be to
offer to buy the Farm (!), which I wouldn't be surprised if Oliver would
accept. That would I imagine be around half a million. But longer term,
would they actually want it - Eddie and Clarrie _are_ getting on. A
quirk might be for them to buy the farm for EdnEmma, and Eddie and
Clarrie move into the home E&E were planning to - but there are three
problems with that: 1. I don't think the farm would be _that_ ideal for
the young family - Ed OK, he has farming in his blood to _some_ extent,
but I don't think Emma really does. 2. Would ½m buy both properties? 3.
Isn't the new home reserved for the needy in some way, so not available
to the likes of Eddie & Clarrie? And this is all without thinking of
Will, who would probably think he's entitled to _some_ of it. This all
assuming Eddie _would_ be willing to help "the kids" out anyway; I'm
pretty sure Clarrie would, but would Eddie be that generous if he
suddenly came into that much money, or would it change him?

All good food for thought!

Let alone everyone else in the village - not just the people we know,
but with that much on offer, surely we're going to hear of at least
three or four new characters. (Oh dear: what will Susan do?)

Science isn't about being right every time, or even most of the time. It is
about being more right over time and fixing what it got wrong.
- Scott Adams, 2015-2-2
carolet
2019-07-21 06:35:33 UTC
I want Eddie to
win the competition.
What do we think would happen if he did?
Would he lose the money, even if he didn't intend to?
If he didn't, what would he/they do? I suppose the obvious would be to
offer to buy the Farm (!), which I wouldn't be surprised if Oliver would
accept. That would I imagine be around half a million.
I can imagine that the farmhouse would sell for around half a million,
but if that amount can also buy 50 acres of farm land I'd be very
surprised. (Not that I know anything about the price of farm land. Let
me see. A quick online search suggests that grazing land was trading at
between £4,400 and £5,500 per acre a couple of years ago, so maybe they
could buy the farm land with around half the money. Would the remainder
buy the house, though? Unless Oliver is feeling generous, I doubt it.)
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
I very much doubt that the proposition "We will use the money to buy our
farm", would win Peggy's competition. If Eddie proposed something else
that was worthy of winning, I would hope that there are enough strings
attached to prevent him from simply taking the money and then buying the
farm.
2019-07-21 06:51:03 UTC
I very much doubt that the proposition "We will use the money to buy our
farm", would win Peggy's competition. If Eddie proposed something else
that was worthy of winning, I would hope that there are enough strings
attached to prevent him from simply taking the money and then buying the
farm.
We might hope so but I predict that the dramatic possibilities will
outweigh such considerations in the minds of the SWs.

Having spent many years applying for grants and also as a member of
grant awarding bodies, I dread to think how this storyline will be
managed. We can be sure that it will bear little resemblance to anything
approaching RL, just like Ambridge business in general, and I find this
extremely irritating.

This is a serious issue: I believe that watching soaps encourages people
with no experience to sink their savings into doomed ventures. The Hotel
Inspector provides much evidence of the consequences of this, although
the deluded individuals never reveal what has actually influenced their
decisions.

<end rant>
2019-07-21 08:48:28 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by carolet
[...]
An interesting observation. I have never watched "Who do you think you
are" but my other half told me that she tried to help someone trace
their ancestry and said someone had a totally unrealistic expectations
on how easy it would be. He imagined walking into a library and being
given the result of difficult research.
Anne B
2019-08-18 11:02:15 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by LFS
Post by carolet
[...]
That's the main reason I seldom bother to watch WDYTYA now.

There are also people who post near-unintelligible queries on assorted
genealogy forms (?fora?) about alleged ancestors in the 16th century and
then get cross when none of the volunteers supplies the answer within 3
hours.

Anne B
Fenny
2019-08-19 19:41:15 UTC
On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 12:02:15 +0100, Anne B
Post by Anne B
That's the main reason I seldom bother to watch WDYTYA now.
It's probably one of the few things that I would watch on the BBC if I
could. But when I was still watching, I felt that most of the episodes
in later series were fairly "tame". In the first few series, there
were lots of really very interesting stories, but they started to
become fewer and farther between, with just "ordinary" families where
the subject just happened to be famous. The problem is that most
people don't have ancestors who were inventors, travellers, colonisers
or whatever. And it's a lot harder to make an interesting story if you
don't have records to back it up. One of my ancestors was a publican
but there's not much to tell me anything about his life.

I do agree that it gives people unrealistic expectations. Getting back
to the 1850s is never much of a problem and can often be done in a few
hours, but getting back to the 1750s can be much more challenging
depending on what records are available, what information is known and
where the family lived.
2019-08-20 07:09:26 UTC
Post by Anne B
That's the main reason I seldom bother to watch WDYTYA now.
It's probably one of the few things that I would watch on the BBC if I
could. But when I was still watching, I felt that most of the episodes
in later series were fairly "tame". In the first few series, there
were lots of really very interesting stories,
I found that some episodes of the American series which were
shown over here had interesting and educative perspectives on US
history.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-08-20 08:07:25 UTC
Post by Anne B
[...]
I suppose it takes another century to go back that far?
2019-08-20 08:26:43 UTC
Post by Anne B
[...]
Since I tried to find family origins in Czechoslovakia and failed I
think I'd probably need the BBC resources.

Vicky Ayech
2019-07-21 12:28:43 UTC
Post by LFS
Having spent many years applying for grants and also as a member of
grant awarding bodies, I dread to think how this storyline will be
managed. We can be sure that it will bear little resemblance to anything
approaching RL, just like Ambridge business in general, and I find this
extremely irritating.
This is a serious issue: I believe that watching soaps encourages people
with no experience to sink their savings into doomed ventures. The Hotel
Inspector provides much evidence of the consequences of this, although
the deluded individuals never reveal what has actually influenced their
decisions.
<end rant>
And then there are the people who decided to buy a home inthe sun and
plan to run a business there, and many who bought a business or
property to run one in, as well as live in. They often have no idea
of local rules and requirements and anyway really want to have a
Spanish life in the sun and the income from the business, but don't
really know how to run it or even set it up.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-07-21 13:06:24 UTC
I want Eddie to
win the competition.
What do we think would happen if he did?
Would he lose the money, even if he didn't intend to?
If he didn't, what would he/they do? I suppose the obvious would be
to offer to buy the Farm (!), which I wouldn't be surprised if Oliver
would accept. That would I imagine be around half a million.
I can imagine that the farmhouse would sell for around half a million,
but if that amount can also buy 50 acres of farm land I'd be very
surprised. (Not that I know anything about the price of farm land. Let
Agreed.
I very much doubt that the proposition "We will use the money to buy
our farm", would win Peggy's competition. If Eddie proposed something
I wasn't suggesting that - just positing what would happen if he
proposed something that did win. But see my answer to Vicky.
Post by carolet
else that was worthy of winning, I would hope that there are enough
strings attached to prevent him from simply taking the money and then
buying the farm.

In science, the more you know what you're looking at, the more magical it
becomes. - Professor Brian Cox, in RT 2017/7/15-21
Fenny
2019-07-21 22:24:46 UTC
I very much doubt that the proposition "We will use the money to buy our
farm", would win Peggy's competition. If Eddie proposed something else
that was worthy of winning, I would hope that there are enough strings
attached to prevent him from simply taking the money and then buying the
farm.
Isn't it Joe's friend who's bought the farm?

N.
Vicky Ayech
2019-07-21 12:25:13 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 03:19:15 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I want Eddie to
win the competition.
What do we think would happen if he did?
Would he lose the money, even if he didn't intend to?
If he didn't, what would he/they do? I suppose the obvious would be to
offer to buy the Farm (!), which I wouldn't be surprised if Oliver would
accept. That would I imagine be around half a million. But longer term,
would they actually want it - Eddie and Clarrie _are_ getting on. A
The money is to run a project that is good for the environment! Eddie
might get a salarie and expenses but I don't think he could use the
major part to buy a house. There is a board to run it, a trust fund.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-07-21 13:10:52 UTC
<***@gmail.com> writes:
The money is to run a project that is good for the environment! Eddie
might get a salarie and expenses but I don't think he could use the
major part to buy a house. There is a board to run it, a trust fund.
I hadn't realised the money is to _run_ the idea; I'd thought it was a
reward _for_ a good idea. If it's to _run_ it, I'm even more surprised
Lilian let herself be dragooned into the post: that sounds like a
long-term commitment on somebody's time, if anything almost open-ended,
and she (and her good friend) is (are) getting on.

LFS
2019-07-21 16:15:49 UTC
The money is to run a project that is good for the environment!  Eddie
might get a salarie and expenses but I don't think he could use the
major part to buy a house. There is a board to run it, a trust fund.
I hadn't realised the money is to _run_ the idea; I'd thought it was a
reward _for_ a good idea. If it's to _run_ it, I'm even more surprised
Lilian let herself be dragooned into the post: that sounds like a
long-term commitment on somebody's time, if anything almost open-ended,
and she (and her good friend) is (are) getting on.
[]
I suspect that your confusion is mirrored among Ambridge folk. We
haven't heard about any criteria for judging applications either.
2019-07-21 16:44:29 UTC
Post by LFS
The money is to run a project that is good for the environment!  Eddie
might get a salarie and expenses but I don't think he could use the
major part to buy a house. There is a board to run it, a trust fund.
I hadn't realised the money is to _run_ the idea; I'd thought it was a
reward _for_ a good idea. If it's to _run_ it, I'm even more surprised
Lilian let herself be dragooned into the post: that sounds like a
long-term commitment on somebody's time, if anything almost open-ended,
and she (and her good friend) is (are) getting on.
[]
I suspect that your confusion is mirrored among Ambridge folk. We
haven't heard about any criteria for judging applications either.
The S/W’s are still talking to Piggy and FAL about it.