EU: Utilities Companies
Derek Turner
2020-05-18 10:03:43 UTC
Dear Encyclopedia Umratica,

We will shortly be returning from Jersey, where gas and electric
supplies are run by state-owned monopolies, to the UK. Specifically to
west Oxfordshire, if that makes any difference.

Before we left we were with Atlantic Gas and Electric which a quick
google shows now to be part of SSE.

After being out of the loop for thirteen years I'm finding the choice
bewildering so, some basic questions:

Is Economy7 still a thing?
If so who pays to have the meter changed over?
Are smart meters everywhere as they are over here?
Dual-fuel always best or go for separate suppliers?

Many tia
Derek
BrritSki
2020-05-18 10:50:15 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
Dear Encyclopedia Umratica,
We will shortly be returning from Jersey, where gas and electric
supplies are run by state-owned monopolies, to the UK. Specifically to
west Oxfordshire, if that makes any difference.
Before we left we were with Atlantic Gas and Electric which a quick
google shows now to be part of SSE.
After being out of the loop for thirteen years I'm finding the choice
Is Economy7 still a thing?
If so who pays to have the meter changed over?
Are smart meters everywhere as they are over here?
Dual-fuel always best or go for separate suppliers?
Yes
You
No
No idea.

To answer more fully, yes, there is a lower tariff for electricity
between midnight and 7 I think. I have no real idea if thos requires a
different meter, but if it does, I would bet that the householder has to
pay for it to be installed.

Smart meters are being rolled out and I think you can ask for your
supplier to fit one. We haven't and one of the problems is that there
isn't a common standard for them, so if your house has one supplied by A
and then you switch to B, it probably won't work any more.

No idea on pros and cons of separate suppliers. I and several otherrats
have opted for Bulb and we are happy with the prices and service I
think. Vicky and Sid are definitely with them.

If you switch to them, let us know as there's £50 for each of us in it
for a referral. I switched to them so they could handle my FIT payments
and have been very happy with the service. They tell you just before
your next DD is due and then you can send them the meter readings. I do
that every month for my own peace of mind, but I think hey send a
reminder if you haven't sent one for a while.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-05-18 12:11:50 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
Is Economy7 still a thing?
If so who pays to have the meter changed over?
Are smart meters everywhere as they are over here?
Dual-fuel always best or go for separate suppliers?
Yes
You
No
No idea.
To answer more fully, yes, there is a lower tariff for electricity
between midnight and 7 I think. I have no real idea if thos requires a
different meter, but if it does, I would bet that the householder has
to pay for it to be installed.
I think some of them might have different "cheap times" - possibly even
changed at intervals (with you being told, I think). There has been - I
think still is - one tariff that gives you free on Sundays [other days
may be available]. I think if you have a "smart meter", you don't need
an extra one, as those meter by the hour anyway. (Actually, by much
smaller interval - I think between one and three minutes for electric,
otherwise the little gimmick box they give you wouldn't work; it's less
often - 15 or 30 minutes I think - for the gas meter, to make its
battery last longer.)
Post by BrritSki
Smart meters are being rolled out and I think you can ask for your
supplier to fit one. We haven't and one of the problems is that there
isn't a common standard for them, so if your house has one supplied by
A and then you switch to B, it probably won't work any more.
You can indeed (and aren't charged for that meter), though they may not
be available in all areas. Type 1 smart meters do indeed work only with
one (or a limited number of; one example includes Octopus and OVO)
supplier, type 2 will work with all. They'll switch you to a type 2, but
there may be a delay (they're not doing it at all at the moment). If you
don't have a smart meter at all, check with your chosen supplier whether
they're fitting 2s from the start (one would hope so!), or are still
trying to use up some type 1 stocks.

For me, the problem of switching supplier if you have a type 1 meter
wouldn't be the gimmick box stopping working: nice toy to have, but I
lived without it. It'd be the cessation of remote reading - meaning you
have to be in for a reader to call, and/or be back to suffering
estimated readings. (Though most - I suspect all - suppliers will
accept, in fact I presume are delighted by, customer-submitted
readings.) [You can still manually read a smart meter (though you have
to press buttons on the gas one).]
Post by BrritSki
No idea on pros and cons of separate suppliers. I and several otherrats
have opted for Bulb and we are happy with the prices and service I
think. Vicky and Sid are definitely with them.
It's _usually_ cheaper to get both from one. (Sometimes
broadband/telephone too, even TV subscription if you're into that;
conversely, it's eggs and basket.) Always check, though.
Post by BrritSki
If you switch to them, let us know as there's £50 for each of us in it
for a referral. I switched to them so they could handle my FIT payments
and have been very happy with the service. They tell you just before
your next DD is due and then you can send them the meter readings. I do
that every month for my own peace of mind, but I think hey send a
reminder if you haven't sent one for a while.
I've been with SSE-pretending-to-be-M&S, e.on, and
Octopus-pretending-to-be-M&S. I've found not a lot of difference between
them. (Irritating aspects of their websites in all cases.)

Direct debit more or less always cheaper, if you're OK with that. They
like to even it out over the year (so I get very cross they won't let
you pay by standing order), but Octopus-pretending-to-be-M&S did let me
pay exactly for what I use, when I asked.

Last time I tried a comparison site (start at
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/
- and they do have their own "Cheap Energy Club"; but also give
uswitch.com and energyhelpline.com a go), I was surprised how many -
including most of the cheapest - were "100%-renewable" (for the
electricity of course, though some did claim - I'm not sure how - to
supply gas that had some green element!). Suggests the nation's supply
has quietly been greening after all. [I recently discovered that Drax -
which I'd always thought was a big coal-fired station, giving the lie to
greenness capacity claims - is now 80% running on biomass.]

So, Heresy be damned (well, it would be, wouldn't it?).
Radio Times 24-30 July 2010 (page 24)
Penny
2020-05-18 18:46:56 UTC
On Mon, 18 May 2020 13:11:50 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Type 1 smart meters do indeed work only with
one (or a limited number of; one example includes Octopus and OVO)
supplier, type 2 will work with all. They'll switch you to a type 2, but
there may be a delay (they're not doing it at all at the moment). If you
don't have a smart meter at all, check with your chosen supplier whether
they're fitting 2s from the start (one would hope so!), or are still
trying to use up some type 1 stocks.
For me, the problem of switching supplier if you have a type 1 meter
wouldn't be the gimmick box stopping working: nice toy to have, but I
lived without it.
I'm with Bulb and they organised the fitting of a smart meter (I'm assured
it is compatible with everyone) last year.

The In Home Display stopped working several weeks ago (I lose track),
possibly soon after a power cut. It rebooted itself every couple of minutes
and failed to display any data.

I followed the instructions on the website - an extreme 'switch it off and
on again' in which you drain the battery (by unplugging it) then
continually switch it on with the button on the back until it won't light
up at all - to drain the other battery. Then plug it back in and wait 48
hours.

This didn't help so I reported it - no result after a week.
Reported it again, again no joy after 10 days.
Took a different path to reporting the problem and got an email which more
or less told me to do all the same things again and it should sort itself
out in a month.
I gave grumpy feedback.

It's been showing gas usage since 8th May - still no sign of electric usage
data.

I miss it. I liked the way it showed me, in kWh, just how much electricity
my roof was generating at any given moment through the wonderfully sunny
spring we've been enjoying.

I'm assured the Smart Meter is still working and sending in readings for
me.
Joe Kerr
2020-05-18 19:14:00 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
[...]
I have a deal with three rates. There is daytime, evening and an Economy
7 like heating that comes on twice a day at the times when you least
want it - the middle of the night (when you are asleep) and the middle
of the afternoon (the warmest time of the day when you are very possibly
not at home). I think the heating (including water) comes on, in theory,
at something like 3 am and 3 pm for 4 hours a time. In bad weather it
should come on for longer. In practice I find the radiators throwing out
warmth at various times. When I turn the heating on in the autumn it
seems to take about a week before I get any heat out of them at all. I'd
rather have a system where I can control the temperature and time of
heating.

It's not a deal that appears on any comparison sites (that I have looked
at).
Smart meters are being rolled out and I think you can ask for your
supplier to fit one. We haven't and one of the problems is that there
isn't a common standard for them, so if your house has one supplied by
A and then you switch to B, it probably won't work any more.
You can indeed (and aren't charged for that meter), though they may not
be available in all areas. Type 1 smart meters do indeed work only with
one (or a limited number of; one example includes Octopus and OVO)
supplier, type 2 will work with all. They'll switch you to a type 2, but
there may be a delay (they're not doing it at all at the moment). If you
don't have a smart meter at all, check with your chosen supplier whether
they're fitting 2s from the start (one would hope so!), or are still
trying to use up some type 1 stocks.
A smart meter will only work if you can get a mobile signal.
Ric
Sid Nuncius
2020-05-18 18:09:57 UTC
No idea on pros and cons of separate suppliers. I and several otherrats
have opted for Bulb and we are happy with the prices and service I
think. Vicky and Sid are definitely with them.
I am, and I agree. They've been very good.
2020-05-20 11:45:13 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
[...]
If your new residence does have one and its series 2, you’re OK, that
allows movement between companies.

Can’t answer anything else.

2020-05-18 12:05:41 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
Before we left we were with Atlantic Gas and Electric which a quick
google shows now to be part of SSE.
After being out of the loop for thirteen years I'm finding the choice
You really need to use a number of comparison sites - start at
Moneysavingexpert.com

The numbers do vary between areas, and your expected consumption
is important too.

As I have said here previously, my off-peak usage is about 30%,
and ever since I started keeping records nearly 30 years ago, E7
had been cheaper than a standard tariff, generally by about £4
per month.

However when my Tonic deal was expiring, I looked at the usual
comparisons and found that the dual fuel non-E7 tariff Avro are
offering, compared with my previous good deal from Tonik, reduces
my electricity costs slightly and my gas costs quite a bit, and
the daily charge is also less. Also no early exit fees.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-05-18 20:38:37 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Derek Turner
[...]
+1 for Avro. Have used them for the last 2 years and have just renewed
for another.
2020-05-19 07:32:11 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Derek Turner
[...]
I thought that they built aircraft?
2020-05-19 12:52:04 UTC
+1 for Avro. Have used them for the last 2 years and have just renewed
for another.
I thought that they built aircraft?
I was going to say that, but thought I had already done so last time we
were discussing power companies (-:.

But yes, A. V. Roe's company were indeed aircraft manufacturers: the
Lancaster was probably the best known. (Well, probably built by
everybody, but it was their design.) For an earlier one, at least the
triplane in http://255soft.uk/temp/Shutlewo.rth/ is one of theirs (set
of pics a friend sent me around 2018-9-11 when he'd been there).

"Who came first? Adam or Eve?" "Adam of course; men always do."
Victoria Wood (via Peter Hesketh)
Sam Plusnet
2020-05-19 21:35:56 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Derek Turner
[...]
Ha! I used to 'work'[1] for Hawker Siddeley - and we never built as much
as a paper aeroplane.

[1] I pretended to work and they pretended to pay me.
2020-05-18 18:02:48 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
Dear Encyclopedia Umratica,
We will shortly be returning from Jersey, where gas and electric
supplies are run by state-owned monopolies, to the UK. Specifically to
west Oxfordshire, if that makes any difference.
Before we left we were with Atlantic Gas and Electric which a quick
google shows now to be part of SSE.
After being out of the loop for thirteen years I'm finding the choice
Is Economy7 still a thing?
If so who pays to have the meter changed over?
Are smart meters everywhere as they are over here?
Dual-fuel always best or go for separate suppliers?
Just on the subject of smart meters: some suppliers (NPower for certain)
now require you to consent to a smart meter being fitted in order to
qualify for dual fuel discounts. We were a bit worried by this as smart
meters don't work in our house - there are three rooms with solid walls
between the gas and electric meters so thay can't communicate properly,
and both of them are in the basement which is impervious to phone
signals, so no information can be sent out. However, we were told by
NPower that this didn't matter as they weren't rolling them out in our
area anyway...
2020-05-19 17:40:48 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
Dear Encyclopedia Umratica,
We will shortly be returning from Jersey, where gas and electric
supplies are run by state-owned monopolies, to the UK. Specifically to
west Oxfordshire, if that makes any difference.
Before we left we were with Atlantic Gas and Electric which a quick
google shows now to be part of SSE.
After being out of the loop for thirteen years I'm finding the choice
Is Economy7 still a thing?
If so who pays to have the meter changed over?
Are smart meters everywhere as they are over here?
Dual-fuel always best or go for separate suppliers?
Many tia
Is this a good place to express my peeves about the way the low-cost
energy market is regulated? No. Probably not.

In other news, I see little OVO energy having absorbed big SSE energy
is now undergoing other changes so I do not suppose any decision made
now is going to look the same in a few months time.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-52714205

And finally, <swerve> Are congratulations in order? New Parish?
Retirement? Something else entirely?

Nick
Derek Turner
2020-05-19 16:48:36 UTC
And finally, <swerve> Are congratulations in order? New Parish?
Retirement? Something else entirely?
The wife retires as Hospital Chaplain here in Jersey at the end of
October. She has been offered and accepted an incumbency on a
house-for-duty basis. I'll help out as and when needed but with luck and
good management we should get at least three, if not four days off a week.
The benefice ois so far west that one of the next-door parishes is in
the Gloucester diocese (Lechlade) and another in the Bristol diocese
(Highworth)
Nick Odell
2020-05-19 23:20:35 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
Post by Nick Odell
And finally, <swerve> Are congratulations in order? New Parish?
Retirement? Something else entirely?
The wife retires as Hospital Chaplain here in Jersey at the end of
October. She has been offered and accepted an incumbency on a
house-for-duty basis. I'll help out as and when needed but with luck and
good management we should get at least three, if not four days off a week.
The benefice ois so far west that one of the next-door parishes is in
the Gloucester diocese (Lechlade) and another in the Bristol diocese
(Highworth)
Best of wishes to both of you. I hope it all goes very well.

<LW>
steve hague
2020-05-20 07:05:11 UTC
Post by Derek Turner
Post by Nick Odell
And finally, <swerve> Are congratulations in order? New Parish?
Retirement? Something else entirely?
The wife retires as Hospital Chaplain here in Jersey at the end of
October. She has been offered and accepted an incumbency on a
house-for-duty basis. I'll help out as and when needed but with luck and
good management we should get at least three, if not four days off a week.
The benefice ois so far west that one of the next-door parishes is in
the Gloucester diocese (Lechlade) and another in the Bristol diocese
(Highworth)
That's far West? From here, you're nearly in Russia.
Steve Hague
Chris J Dixon
2020-05-19 17:10:00 UTC
In other news, I see little OVO energy having absorbed big SSE energy
is now undergoing other changes so I do not suppose any decision made
now is going to look the same in a few months time.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-52714205
Sadly, that is pretty much the case anyway, you need to check
available tariffs every month or two, just in case a change is
advantageous. MSE has an Energy Club which will keep you advised.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-05-20 11:45:14 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
In other news, I see little OVO energy having absorbed big SSE energy
is now undergoing other changes so I do not suppose any decision made
now is going to look the same in a few months time.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-52714205
Sadly, that is pretty much the case anyway, you need to check
available tariffs every month or two, just in case a change is
advantageous. MSE has an Energy Club which will keep you advised.
Chris
Yes, lotsaSSE being laid off here. Was in the paper yesterday.