off TA On Venice
Btms
2018-03-10 19:41:37 UTC
There was once much discussion here about the most economic way to travel
around Venice. It this intelligence is still here, I would be grateful to
hear it reprised.
💖
BrritSki
2018-03-10 21:01:32 UTC
Post by Btms
There was once much discussion here about the most economic way to travel
around Venice. It this intelligence is still here, I would be grateful to
hear it reprised.
💖
Get a multi-day ticket for the vaporetto. If you really want to
experience a gondola, use a traghetto to cross the Grand Canal for a few
euros rather that spend €80.
Kate B
2018-03-10 21:11:01 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Btms
There was once much discussion here about the most economic way to travel
around Venice.  It this intelligence is still here, I would be
grateful to
hear it reprised.
💖
Get a multi-day ticket for the vaporetto. If you really want to
experience a gondola, use a traghetto to cross the Grand Canal for a few
euros rather that spend €80.
Wot Britters sed. There is really no way other than feet to get round
most of the place, but taking a vaporetto can save your barking dogs,
and the traghetti are seriously useful and not to be missed. Take
wellingtons.
--
Kate B
London
Btms
2018-03-10 21:13:12 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by BrritSki
Post by Btms
There was once much discussion here about the most economic way to travel
around Venice.  It this intelligence is still here, I would be
grateful to
hear it reprised.
💖
Get a multi-day ticket for the vaporetto. If you really want to
experience a gondola, use a traghetto to cross the Grand Canal for a few
euros rather that spend €80.
Wot Britters sed. There is really no way other than feet to get round
most of the place, but taking a vaporetto can save your barking dogs,
and the traghetti are seriously useful and not to be missed. Take
wellingtons.
Thanks. For dil’s birthday. We get to do childcare!
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
BrritSki
2018-03-10 21:19:58 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by BrritSki
Post by Btms
There was once much discussion here about the most economic way to travel
around Venice.  It this intelligence is still here, I would be
grateful to
hear it reprised.
💖
Get a multi-day ticket for the vaporetto. If you really want to
experience a gondola, use a traghetto to cross the Grand Canal for a
few euros rather that spend €80.
Wot Britters sed. There is really no way other than feet to get round
most of the place, but taking a vaporetto can save your barking dogs,
and the traghetti are seriously useful and not to be missed. Take
wellingtons.
Depends on when you're going. We've been on 4 separate occasions now and
haven't suffered a serious aqua alta yet...

You can also take a water bus from the airport (assuming you're arriving
that way rather than on the train), much cheaper than a private water
taxi and by far the best way to enter Venice.

For sightseeing, try these guys:
<https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187870-d7268886-Reviews-Free_Walk_in_Venice-Venice_Veneto.html>

especially if Lucia is running the tour. She's Venetian and will tell
you things and show you places that more normal tours miss as well as
pointing out the best places to eat and drink. No charge, but they will
happily accept a tip a the end. We usually leave €20 each - well worth it...
Btms
2018-03-11 08:28:27 UTC
Britski wrote:

There was once much discussion here about the most economic way to travel
around Venice. It this intelligence is still here, I would be grateful to
hear it reprised.
💖
Get a multi-day ticket for the vaporetto. If you really want to experience
a gondola, use a traghetto to cross the Grand Canal for a few euros rather
that spend €80.

Thank you. Are these tickets purchased anywhere special?
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
BrritSki
2018-03-11 10:06:59 UTC
Post by Btms
There was once much discussion here about the most economic way to travel
around Venice. It this intelligence is still here, I would be grateful to
hear it reprised.
💖
Get a multi-day ticket for the vaporetto. If you really want to experience
a gondola, use a traghetto to cross the Grand Canal for a few euros rather
that spend €80.
Thank you. Are these tickets purchased anywhere special?
At the normal vaporetto stops where you would normally buy single
tickets. There are machines there, but we never managed to get the one
at Accademia to work so we did one trip without them (monello!).

Probably best to buy them at a wo/manned biglietto outlet and there'll
definitely be one at the airport and the station. You can then discuss
discounts for any senior citizens and children in the party.
Btms
2018-03-11 16:43:16 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Btms
There was once much discussion here about the most economic way to travel
around Venice. It this intelligence is still here, I would be grateful to
hear it reprised.
💖
Get a multi-day ticket for the vaporetto. If you really want to experience
a gondola, use a traghetto to cross the Grand Canal for a few euros rather
that spend €80.
Thank you. Are these tickets purchased anywhere special?
At the normal vaporetto stops where you would normally buy single
tickets. There are machines there, but we never managed to get the one
at Accademia to work so we did one trip without them (monello!).
Probably best to buy them at a wo/manned biglietto outlet and there'll
definitely be one at the airport and the station. You can then discuss
discounts for any senior citizens and children in the party.
It rather looks as if it is planned for the senior citizens and children to
be left as home to party alone.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-11 17:20:40 UTC
In message
[]
Post by Btms
Post by BrritSki
Probably best to buy them at a wo/manned biglietto outlet and there'll
definitely be one at the airport and the station. You can then discuss
discounts for any senior citizens and children in the party.
It rather looks as if it is planned for the senior citizens and children to
be left as home to party alone.
Hmm. In other words, babysitting duties. Resist! Not that (I imagine,
not having any) it isn't nice to play with the grandchildren, but if it
is being planned this far in advance, I'd feel one is being taken
advantage of ... You must be allowed to enjoy some of the getting
around, too: it's your holiday too.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than
to those attending too small a degree of it. -Thomas Jefferson, 3rd US
president, architect and author (1743-1826)
Btms
2018-03-11 18:21:40 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
[]
Post by Btms
Post by BrritSki
Probably best to buy them at a wo/manned biglietto outlet and there'll
definitely be one at the airport and the station. You can then discuss
discounts for any senior citizens and children in the party.
It rather looks as if it is planned for the senior citizens and children to
be left as home to party alone.
Hmm. In other words, babysitting duties. Resist! Not that (I imagine,
not having any) it isn't nice to play with the grandchildren, but if it
is being planned this far in advance, I'd feel one is being taken
advantage of ... You must be allowed to enjoy some of the getting
around, too: it's your holiday too.
No. The parents are going for 2/3 days and we (and probably t’other son)
are remaining in UK with their children. They are planning in advance to
ask if our diary is free. We can get busy. Its dil’s 40th birthday treat.
This son tends to be planful.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-11 18:27:15 UTC
In message
Post by Btms
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
[]
Post by Btms
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Btms
It rather looks as if it is planned for the senior citizens and children to
be left as home to party alone.
Hmm. In other words, babysitting duties. Resist! Not that (I imagine,
not having any) it isn't nice to play with the grandchildren, but if it
is being planned this far in advance, I'd feel one is being taken
advantage of ... You must be allowed to enjoy some of the getting
around, too: it's your holiday too.
No. The parents are going for 2/3 days and we (and probably t’other son)
are remaining in UK with their children. They are planning in advance to
ask if our diary is free. We can get busy. Its dil’s 40th birthday treat.
This son tends to be planful.
Ah, fair enough, for a 40th treat (and only 2/3 days). I like "planful".

If you want to make people angry, lie to them. If you want to make them
absolutely livid, then tell 'em the truth.
BrritSki
2018-03-11 19:22:18 UTC
Post by Btms
No. The parents are going for 2/3 days and we (and probably t’other son)
are remaining in UK with their children.
Capito.