OP the apple orchard
2018-10-10 07:56:44 UTC
So the Grundys failed to graft the BBs and Tom is starting an apple
orchard. I think there is a connection but I don't see it yet.
Vicky Ayech
2018-10-10 08:27:45 UTC
Post by DavidK
So the Grundys failed to graft the BBs and Tom is starting an apple
orchard. I think there is a connection but I don't see it yet.
The words niche, organic, local and added value. With premium. Tom
chats to Joe and gets to use grafts of the special apples?
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-10-10 08:40:15 UTC
Post by DavidK
So the Grundys failed to graft the BBs and Tom is starting an apple
orchard. I think there is a connection but I don't see it yet.
The words niche, organic, local and added value. With premium. Tom
chats to Joe and gets to use grafts of the special apples?
A cross of Borsetshire Beauty and Tumble Tussock, perhaps.

User Error: Replace user, hit any key to continue.
krw
2018-10-10 09:31:17 UTC
A cross of Borsetshire Beauty and Tumble Tussock, perhaps.
How likely is it that a single village has two rare apple varieties? I
hope the new editor gets to crack down on some of the flights of fancy.
2018-10-10 10:33:20 UTC
A cross of Borsetshire Beauty and Tumble Tussock, perhaps.
How likely is it that a single village has two rare apple varieties? I
hope the new editor gets to crack down on some of the flights of fancy.
Maybe it is a core part of the plot?
2018-10-10 10:34:26 UTC
A cross of Borsetshire Beauty and Tumble Tussock, perhaps.
How likely is it that a single village has two rare apple varieties? I
hope the new editor gets to crack down on some of the flights of fancy.
Maybe it is a core part of the plot?
It is giving me the pip that is what it is doing. I feel I am being
stalked by all this fruitiness.
2018-10-10 11:14:35 UTC
A cross of Borsetshire Beauty and Tumble Tussock, perhaps.
How likely is it that a single village has two rare apple varieties? I
hope the new editor gets to crack down on some of the flights of fancy.
Maybe it is a core part of the plot?
It is giving me the pip that is what it is doing. I feel I am being
stalked by all this fruitiness.
So it doesn’t a peel to you?
2018-10-10 18:31:21 UTC
A cross of Borsetshire Beauty and Tumble Tussock, perhaps.
How likely is it that a single village has two rare apple varieties?
Very likely indeed. There are gazillions of apple hybrids up and down
the country and the fact that just one or two examples exist in a
particular vilage makes them "rare."

hope the new editor gets to crack down on some of the flights of fancy.
You don't appear to be enjoying TA very much, do you?

2018-10-10 18:54:03 UTC
A cross of Borsetshire Beauty and Tumble Tussock, perhaps.
How likely is it that a single village has two rare apple varieties?
Very likely indeed. There are gazillions of apple hybrids up and down
the country and the fact that just one or two examples exist in a
particular vilage makes them "rare."
hope the new editor gets to crack down on some of the flights of fancy.
You don't appear to be enjoying TA very much, do you?
Nick
Were supposed to *enjoy* it?

2018-10-10 22:07:05 UTC
You don't appear to be enjoying TA very much, do you?
It comes and goes but I have to admit that I am not finding much to
enjoy given the retcon nonsense of Low Mead and the "need" to sell Home
Farm.

Then there is the complete nonsense over BL and Damara - directors being
brought in and other directors not knowing why!

The mess of the farm shop not being organic and selling Tony's beef
elsewhere beggars belief. Remember the only clean brand name is
Ambridge Organics as Bridge Farm is tainted by the e coli disaster.

I struggle to accept that both of Lizzie's children would go off the
rails at the same time. Yes children do go wayward - but not usually at
the same time. I am not sure Lily would go anywhere near a teacher and
vice versa in the current environment.

The Anisha departure story was driven by her complete lack of
availability due to other work - but if the character had a purpose why
not recast - with her absence a voice match of some description could
have been achieved.

The agro-forestry story has a place - but not in resolving the existing
diversity at Bridge Farm. That needed sorting out first with a-f coming
on stream at some future date.

I assume there is a reason that Hannah is so unpleasant but it would be
nice if there were some explanation - after all if Emma and family are
struggling to get an "affordable" house one wonders why Hannah thinks
she will qualify ahead of a family.

I am struggling to listen at the moment as nothing is positive or engaging.
2018-10-11 07:50:10 UTC
I am struggling to listen at the moment as nothing is positive or engaging.
Tell me about it. I am about 6 weeks behind in listening to Omni. I have
them all downloaded I just CBA to listen to them for many of the reasons
snipped above.
Vicky Ayech
2018-10-11 09:03:52 UTC
You don't appear to be enjoying TA very much, do you?
It comes and goes but I have to admit that I am not finding much to
enjoy given the retcon nonsense of Low Mead and the "need" to sell Home
Farm.
Then there is the complete nonsense over BL and Damara - directors being
brought in and other directors not knowing why!
The mess of the farm shop not being organic and selling Tony's beef
elsewhere beggars belief. Remember the only clean brand name is
Ambridge Organics as Bridge Farm is tainted by the e coli disaster.
I struggle to accept that both of Lizzie's children would go off the
rails at the same time. Yes children do go wayward - but not usually at
the same time. I am not sure Lily would go anywhere near a teacher and
vice versa in the current environment.
Some of my outrage about this story is not just a teacher having an
affair with a student who is of age. Ok, but that he quits work and
intends to accompany her to university and live off her, and
gatecrashes her shopping expedition with her mother and specifies what
he'd like to have bought to make himself comfortable while he's being
kept is totally OTT.
Post by krw
The Anisha departure story was driven by her complete lack of
availability due to other work - but if the character had a purpose why
not recast - with her absence a voice match of some description could
have been achieved.
To leave, having got Snappy to spend money on equipment that was for
work she would be doing for the practice, and not have any obligation
to either work until it is paid off or pay for it, seems wrong. As if
there was no proper contract of partnership. She was a partner, wasn't
she? And to go with such short notice might suit the actor but not a
sensible story.

I very much want Snappy to come out of this with a profit, still with
a job if he wants it, working for the buyers, and with a nice gf, to
annoy Shula.
Post by krw
The agro-forestry story has a place - but not in resolving the existing
diversity at Bridge Farm. That needed sorting out first with a-f coming
on stream at some future date.
I'd like to see Bridge Farm and Brookfield doing more environmentally
good farming and talking more about taking care of the soil. Who was
it was famous for saying "The answer lies in the soil" ? Adam already
wants to do it.
Post by krw
I assume there is a reason that Hannah is so unpleasant but it would be
nice if there were some explanation - after all if Emma and family are
struggling to get an "affordable" house one wonders why Hannah thinks
she will qualify ahead of a family.
Quite.
Post by krw
I am struggling to listen at the moment as nothing is positive or engaging.
I like the karate, I like Fallon and her plod being happy and the
scene with Christine was lovely, but then she had the fall.
BrritSki
2018-10-11 09:52:40 UTC
Who was it was famous for saying "The answer lies in the soil" ?
Precursor to Round the Horne, Beyond our Ken had Kenneth Williams'
country character, Arthur Fallowfield, who was based on Dorset farmer
Ralph Wightman, a regular contributor to the BBC radio programme Any
Questions? Fallowfield's lines were full of innuendo and double entendre
– on one occasion Horne introduced him as the man who put the sex in
Sussex. Fallowfield's reply to any question began: "Well, I think the
answer lies in the soil!"
krw
2018-10-11 10:12:08 UTC
Beyond our Ken
Which incidentally is currently being aired on R4 Extra having recently
commenced with the earliest broadcastable episodes (there are some early
ones available elsewhere but the quality falls short of original
standard. They date from 1958 which only goes to demonstrate that even
if not complete there is a huge history of recordings.

I wonder how much of TA is on record. I believe that it fairly complete
from mid-80s.

By comparison all of Coronation Street apart from one episode is
understood to exist.
2018-10-11 11:30:04 UTC
Beyond our Ken
Which incidentally is currently being aired on R4 Extra having recently
commenced with the earliest broadcastable episodes (there are some early
ones available elsewhere but the quality falls short of original
standard.  They date from 1958 which only goes to demonstrate that even
if not complete there is a huge history of recordings.
I wonder how much of TA is on record.  I believe that it fairly complete
from mid-80s.
By comparison all of Coronation Street apart from one episode is
understood to exist.
And I'll wager that early episodes are better than current ones. Last
night's Corrie hit a new low. After 54 years I am seriously considering
freeing up my early evenings for other pursuits.
2018-10-11 12:19:04 UTC
Post by LFS
Beyond our Ken
Which incidentally is currently being aired on R4 Extra having
recently commenced with the earliest broadcastable episodes (there are
some early ones available elsewhere but the quality falls short of
original standard.  They date from 1958 which only goes to demonstrate
that even if not complete there is a huge history of recordings.
I wonder how much of TA is on record.  I believe that it fairly
complete from mid-80s.
By comparison all of Coronation Street apart from one episode is
understood to exist.
And I'll wager that early episodes are better than current ones. Last
night's Corrie hit a new low. After 54 years I am seriously considering
freeing up my early evenings for other pursuits.
I actually thought last night showed real promise. The end of 'Orrible
'Annah; Tracy getting her revenge on Leanne; and Jenny finding out about
"Linny" setting up the next story; the Daniel / Sinead wedding ceremony
(particularly Kirk) was outstanding. A lot of people are not keen on
Michelle but she cannot help the stories she is given!
2018-10-11 12:23:08 UTC
I actually thought last night showed real promise. The end of 'Orrible
'Annah; Tracy getting her revenge on Leanne; and Jenny finding out about
You got my hopes up! You don't mean TA Hanna :( Tracy's revenge on
someone would be ok, maybe karate-related. Jenny finding something out
could be useful. But it's not TA. Dammit.
krw
2018-10-11 12:33:40 UTC
I actually thought last night showed real promise. The end of 'Orrible
'Annah; Tracy getting her revenge on Leanne; and Jenny finding out about
You got my hopes up! You don't mean TA Hanna :( Tracy's revenge on
someone would be ok, maybe karate-related. Jenny finding something out
could be useful. But it's not TA. Dammit.
A lot of names cross over. Corrie has not got a Fallon or Kenton.
2018-10-11 12:54:43 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
I wasn't comfortable seeing Tracy wallop Steve. There's been quite a lot
of violence in Corrie lately - strange parallels with EE about prison
violence orchestrated from outside. And would she really go ahead with
the wedding with her daughter in hospital? What's wrong with Amy that
she couldn't somehow attend the ceremony anyway? I found the plot around
Jim's return highly unconvincing. Much of the more subtle humour has
vanished: Kirk as a character is very appealing but Brian is deeply
irritating and there are no funny female characters.

TA seems far more balanced between drama and humour these days and the
plotlines are much more credible.
2018-10-11 13:13:13 UTC
Post by LFS
I wasn't comfortable seeing Tracy wallop Steve.
A not uncommon comic piece which is better than her beating her partner
to death for which she went to prison some years ago.

There's been quite a lot
Post by LFS
of violence in Corrie lately - strange parallels with EE about prison
violence orchestrated from outside.
I couldn't comment about that as I gave up on EE years ago.

Post by LFS
the wedding with her daughter in hospital? What's wrong with Amy that
she couldn't somehow attend the ceremony anyway?
Severely shattered elbow. However I suspect that the actress was not
available for the period of recording.

I found the plot around
Post by LFS
Jim's return highly unconvincing.
The original plan was for Jim to be around for a year. Somehow the
communication went wrong and he was then booked for a stage play so the
whole storyline has been used in a few weeks. I rather felt that Liz
would have been more suspicious but a DNA test or two (well faked)
trumps suspicions in a soap.

Post by LFS
vanished: Kirk as a character is very appealing but Brian is deeply
irritating and there are no funny female characters.
Brian has not been as well written as before he left - perhaps it was
the way it worked with Julie and does not with Cathy. Evelyn has been
brought in as the battleaxe and can spin a good line. Sally when not
locked up is often good for a laugh (compare and contrast with TA's
Susan). Beth is often good for a laugh as is Moira (better known as
Helen in TA of course). Corrie was always driven by strong women and
such women rarely give great humour as it is not in their nature.
2018-10-11 15:53:05 UTC
[...]
On the other hand, apart from the stupidity of the cat (I could think if
better ways), I think the Christine story could be as well researched as
the recent Peggoi one.

(Having got stepma into care, my dad’s remaining sister who has regular
falls due to diabetic problems with legs is a good example of Christine
currently. Said aunt has been refusing to leave home for at least three
years).