OT: English as she is spoke
2021-06-28 11:07:33 UTC
On Facebook (where else?), advice on removing smells from a microwave oven:
"Keep the door open after doing the bickerbonnet."

Yes it took me a moment too.

Need a lie down in a dark room to recover.
2021-06-28 12:30:35 UTC
On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 at 11:07:33, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
"Keep the door open after doing the bickerbonnet."
Yes it took me a moment too.
Took me quite a while - thought I was going to have to be boring and
ask, then the penny dropped.
Post by Sally Thompson
Need a lie down in a dark room to recover.
Definitely LOLworthy, thanks!

Twitter makes you despair of people you don't know, and Facebook makes you
despise people you do know. - Lucy Porter on @Room 101@, 2016
Penny
2021-06-28 15:03:21 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
"Keep the door open after doing the bickerbonnet."
Yes it took me a moment too.
Took me quite a while - thought I was going to have to be boring and
ask, then the penny dropped.
This Penny hasn't dropped so I'm going to ask.
My only thought was bicarb - which would do the job without leaving the
door open.
2021-06-28 16:23:14 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
"Keep the door open after doing the bickerbonnet."
Yes it took me a moment too.
Took me quite a while - thought I was going to have to be boring and
ask, then the penny dropped.
This Penny hasn't dropped so I'm going to ask.
My only thought was bicarb - which would do the job without leaving the
door open.
Yes indeed, it was meant to be bicarbonate, which had been spelled
correctly earlier in this discussion.
2021-06-28 17:12:20 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
"Keep the door open after doing the bickerbonnet."
Yes it took me a moment too.
Took me quite a while - thought I was going to have to be boring and
ask, then the penny dropped.
This Penny hasn't dropped so I'm going to ask.
My only thought was bicarb - which would do the job without leaving the
door open.
I occasionally use washing soda and white vinegar to clean the plug ‘oles
and drains in the kitchen and bathroom; smells like a ‘sore finger’ for a
few hours after…
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Sam Plusnet
2021-06-28 20:29:03 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
I occasionally use washing soda and white vinegar to clean the plug ‘oles
and drains in the kitchen and bathroom; smells like a ‘sore finger’ for a
few hours after…
Have you used any TCP in the last year? There's an easy way to tell.
2021-06-28 21:29:16 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
I occasionally use washing soda and white vinegar to clean the plug ‘oles
and drains in the kitchen and bathroom; smells like a ‘sore finger’ for a
few hours after…
Have you used any TCP in the last year?  There's an easy way to tell.
If your broadband is working, you're using it.

2021-06-29 07:29:23 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
I occasionally use washing soda and white vinegar to clean the plug ‘oles
and drains in the kitchen and bathroom; smells like a ‘sore finger’ for a
few hours after…
Have you used any TCP in the last year? There's an easy way to tell.
Nope, why - does it glow bright pink or summat?
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Sam Plusnet
2021-06-29 22:23:18 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
I occasionally use washing soda and white vinegar to clean the plug ‘oles
and drains in the kitchen and bathroom; smells like a ‘sore finger’ for a
few hours after…
Have you used any TCP in the last year? There's an easy way to tell.
Nope, why - does it glow bright pink or summat?
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
If you can't smell the stuff, no-one has used any, within the last year,
and within a 50 metre radius.
2021-06-30 09:12:27 UTC
On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 23:23:18 +0100, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
I occasionally use washing soda and white vinegar to clean the plug ‘oles
and drains in the kitchen and bathroom; smells like a ‘sore finger’ for a
few hours after…
Have you used any TCP in the last year? There's an easy way to tell.
Nope, why - does it glow bright pink or summat?
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
If you can't smell the stuff, no-one has used any, within the last year,
and within a 50 metre radius.
Thank you for a memory which still makes me smile, if not laugh out loud.

Travelling with Ray along a main road in Wiltshire behind a rather tatty
white van, I asked him if he could smell paraffin. He, being slightly deaf,
said 'P A R A...' at which point I laughed and said, rather louder
'Smell!'. At which point we both burst out laughing before he suggested
that's what the van was running on.

A few years later, while driving into town here, I asked if he could smell
TCP - he looked at me and we both burst out laughing.
2021-06-30 19:46:16 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Earlier today, I asked Wofe a question and she dashed off into the
utility room.
I was somewhat puzzled.
I had asked if she wanted another cup of tea, whilst she heard me remind
her to check on the washing machine.
She insists that there is nothing wrong with her hearing.
2021-06-30 20:57:44 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]
Then, twenty minutes later at 9pm you were listening to "Made of
Stronger Stuff" https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0957q54 and it all
made sense.

2021-06-30 21:17:04 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
She is, of course, absolutely correct. You must have been mumbling.

2021-07-01 21:20:55 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
john
Sigh. I had a hearing test in 2019: the first for over 35, May be 40 yrs
which I’d had at work. I wasn’t too bothered though I rather thought I
hadn’t heard many of the beeps. The final test was a list of words. I
laughed and said this would be easy as an audio typist which I still do a
lot of. Oh dear! I got one right out of a dozen!! They were all three
letter words with consonants beginning and end. I am very definitely mild
to moderately deaf, it’s age related, and it’s consonants that defeat me.
Once sounds have gone, they’re gone. Hearing aids only boost what hearing
is left - and even if AI could which I can’t, lip reading is also a
guessing game

Sincerely Chris
Min
2021-07-01 23:18:44 UTC
scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
So sorry to hear this, Chris - hugzz!
Min
Chris
2021-07-03 09:50:21 UTC
Post by Min
scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Thanks Min. I think I’ve been hard of hearing for quite a few years but
thought it was my not picking up on visual clues but noticed I was missing
lots of things said on the phone when it was a landline call even from
those whose voices I know well. Strangers I have struggled with for more
years than I ought to have done. It’s a simple case of age related hearing
loss. Nothing sinister.

2021-07-03 11:20:41 UTC
Post by Chris
It’s a simple case of
age related hearing loss. Nothing sinister.
I'm going the same way. Can no longer hear the top three notes on a piano.
2021-07-02 22:33:39 UTC
I occasionally use washing soda and white vinegar to clean the plug ‘oles
and drains in the kitchen and bathroom; smells like a ‘sore finger’ for a
few hours after…
Have you used any TCP in the last year? There's an easy way to tell.
I like TCP. I think it is great for cuts, grazes etc. EQDSO does not.

"Have you been putting on that contraceptive again?"
"I think you mean 'antiseptic,' dear."
"I know what I mean."