Sad news from Stephen Tilley
2021-08-20 08:51:01 UTC
He writes:

"For some reason, in the best traditions of FB oddities, I can't update my
'bio line'.
I was going to change it to 'Experiencing the final stages of Inoperable
Cancer of the Kidneys'
In effect I've been hospitalised four times since May to get to this
status; I don't know if anyone has noticed my FB absences or any change in
tone.
As I say it is too far advanced for an operation thus my current phase is
'Seeing If I Am Well Enough For Chemotherapy' - decision to be been in the
middle of next month. If I don't qualify then the cliched 'Long Fight
Against Cancer' will be only a 'Quick Surrender Against Cancer"
I know many of my friends will pray for me; my personal position in
'Stoical'."
2021-08-20 08:58:25 UTC
"For some reason, in the best traditions of FB oddities, I can't update my
'bio line'.
I was going to change it to 'Experiencing the final stages of Inoperable
Cancer of the Kidneys'
In effect I've been hospitalised four times since May to get to this
status; I don't know if anyone has noticed my FB absences or any change in
tone.
As I say it is too far advanced for an operation thus my current phase is
'Seeing If I Am Well Enough For Chemotherapy' - decision to be been in the
middle of next month. If I don't qualify then the cliched 'Long Fight
Against Cancer' will be only a 'Quick Surrender Against Cancer"
I know many of my friends will pray for me; my personal position in
'Stoical'."
Oh, that's really sad news. I had noticed that there had been a few
references to hospital visits, in recent months, but I hadn't guessed
that it was as serious as this :(
Q. What do you call a fairy who hasn't had a wash for a week?
A. Stinkerbell
Nick Odell
2021-08-20 10:57:24 UTC
"For some reason, in the best traditions of FB oddities, I can't update my
'bio line'.
I was going to change it to 'Experiencing the final stages of Inoperable
Cancer of the Kidneys'
In effect I've been hospitalised four times since May to get to this
status; I don't know if anyone has noticed my FB absences or any change in
tone.
As I say it is too far advanced for an operation thus my current phase is
'Seeing If I Am Well Enough For Chemotherapy' - decision to be been in the
middle of next month. If I don't qualify then the cliched 'Long Fight
Against Cancer' will be only a 'Quick Surrender Against Cancer"
I know many of my friends will pray for me; my personal position in
'Stoical'."
If umratic wishes are being passed on, please pass on mine for the
very best of possible outcomes.

2021-08-20 11:39:33 UTC
[...]
Have done and I'm very willing to pass on good wishes from anyone else
who wants.
My doctor told me to keep in shape. Well, this is my shape and I'm
keeping it (anon)
Nick Odell

N.
Sid Nuncius
2021-08-20 17:49:36 UTC
[...]
Certainly from me, please. Stephen is a dashed good egg and I'm very
sorry to hear this news.
--
Sid
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm. (Colette)
Min
2021-08-21 00:03:08 UTC
[...]
Very sorry to hear this - please convey Stephen my very best.
Thank you for letting us know.
Min
Serena Blanchflower
2021-08-21 13:07:21 UTC
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
Mike McMillan
2021-08-20 11:51:29 UTC
[...]
Nick
Likewise please.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Rosemary Miskin
2021-08-20 13:22:39 UTC
If umratic wishes are being passed on, please pass on mine for the
very best of possible outcomes.
+1

Rosemary
Serena Blanchflower
2021-08-20 13:39:50 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Nick Odell
If umratic wishes are being passed on, please pass on mine for the
very best of possible outcomes.
+1
Rosemary
I've passed on you and Mike's best wishes.
Beware of the half-truth. You may have gotten hold of the wrong half.
Chris
2021-08-20 15:08:02 UTC
"For some reason, in the best traditions of FB oddities, I can't update my
'bio line'.
I was going to change it to 'Experiencing the final stages of Inoperable
Cancer of the Kidneys'
In effect I've been hospitalised four times since May to get to this
status; I don't know if anyone has noticed my FB absences or any change in
tone.
As I say it is too far advanced for an operation thus my current phase is
'Seeing If I Am Well Enough For Chemotherapy' - decision to be been in the
middle of next month. If I don't qualify then the cliched 'Long Fight
Against Cancer' will be only a 'Quick Surrender Against Cancer"
I know many of my friends will pray for me; my personal position in
'Stoical'."
Thanks for letting us know Penny.

2021-08-21 21:07:33 UTC
Stephen has just posted the following response to all the replies to his
Incredible thanks for all of the above.
A positive is that having lost around 30lbs in two months I've lost all fat around my face so Christine says I now have the same face she fell in love with in 1972/3.
<sniff> I think I've got something in my eye...
A lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it; it would be hell on
earth. (George Bernard Shaw)
Peter
2021-08-24 16:56:21 UTC
"For some reason, in the best traditions of FB oddities, I can't update my
'bio line'.
I was going to change it to 'Experiencing the final stages of Inoperable
Cancer of the Kidneys'
In effect I've been hospitalised four times since May to get to this
status; I don't know if anyone has noticed my FB absences or any change in
tone.
As I say it is too far advanced for an operation thus my current phase is
'Seeing If I Am Well Enough For Chemotherapy' - decision to be been in the
middle of next month. If I don't qualify then the cliched 'Long Fight
Let people be treated or not. But why this silly cliche of fighting has
to used, I don't know.
Post by Penny
Against Cancer' will be only a 'Quick Surrender Against Cancer"
I know many of my friends will pray for me; my personal position in
'Stoical'."
--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg
Min
2021-09-04 01:04:27 UTC
"For some reason, in the best traditions of FB oddities, I can't update my
'bio line'.
I was going to change it to 'Experiencing the final stages of Inoperable
Cancer of the Kidneys'
In effect I've been hospitalised four times since May to get to this
status; I don't know if anyone has noticed my FB absences or any change in
tone.
As I say it is too far advanced for an operation thus my current phase is
'Seeing If I Am Well Enough For Chemotherapy' - decision to be been in the
middle of next month. If I don't qualify then the cliched 'Long Fight
Let people be treated or not. But why this silly cliche of fighting has
to used, I don't know.
It (understandably) appealed to my Dad to think of it as such. Not so much
to me - ever.
Serena Blanchflower
2021-09-04 09:30:38 UTC
As I say it is too far advanced for an operation thus my current phase is
'Seeing If I Am Well Enough For Chemotherapy' - decision to be been in the
middle of next month. If I don't qualify then the cliched 'Long Fight
Against Cancer' will be only a 'Quick Surrender Against Cancer"
I know many of my friends will pray for me; my personal position in
'Stoical'."
Sadly, Stephen has just posted an update which makes it clear that it's
Post by Penny
Progress Report - SPOILER not good news
Metrics and a scan last week have confirmed that my decline, rather than being reversed as hoped, is accelerating.
So it's been agreed that there is no future for chemotherapy and I'll be under the care and guidance of the Palliative Care Team.
Formalising all this - bearing in mind the high risk of a heart attack - I signed a 'Do Not Resuscitate' form yesterday which is registered on my electronic NHS file. So if you hear that I been resuscitated please protest on by behalf.
Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last
Serena Blanchflower
2021-09-04 13:50:19 UTC
Post by Penny
Progress Report - SPOILER not good news
Metrics and a scan last week have confirmed that my decline, rather
than being reversed as hoped, is accelerating.
So it's been agreed that there is no future for chemotherapy and I'll
be under the care and guidance of the Palliative Care Team.
Formalising all this - bearing in mind the high risk of a heart attack
- I signed a 'Do Not Resuscitate' form yesterday which is registered
on my electronic NHS file. So if you hear that I been resuscitated
please protest on by behalf.
To clarify one important point: I AM NOT IN PAIN
Detail being that the cancer in my kidneys is causing growths in my lungs and I have
An oxygen machine with a 15metre cable that allows the run (haha) of the house.
It's now at 90% capacity with a review visit next week
Inconvenient but no pain.
A further PS from me is that I've very willing to redirect any carrier
pigeons with messages for Stephen from any non-FB using umrats.
I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like
most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most
important thing in a person. (Audrey Hepburn)
Sam Plusnet
2021-09-04 19:49:45 UTC
Post by Penny
[...]
These are typical Stephen posts; witty, humane and stoical.  A fine umrat.
Please send him my very best, Serena.  I will be thinking of him.
I think that sums it up for a good many of us.
Permit me to append a feeble AOL.
2021-09-05 07:19:39 UTC
Post by Penny
[...]
Though I do not have an appendix (removed during hernia surgery a few years
back) please append the Toodles’s best wishes, high fives, pat on the back
and I’ll ask if Shires can be dribbled into the oxygen line.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Serena Blanchflower
2021-09-05 11:23:44 UTC
Post by Penny
[...]
I'm very glad you posted that as a reply to Sid because, for some
unfathomable reason, Sid's post hasn't shown up here :(

Both Sid's and your messages, along with Nick's and the Toodles' have
now been passed on to Stephen. If any other carrier pigeons have been
taken by peregrines, or the like, do let me know...
Q. Which dog is the most expensive of all?
A. A deer hound!