Defying statistics
2018-07-20 18:10:45 UTC
I wonder, would the SW’s consider allowing Snappy to have a large winning
on his gambling activities?
2018-07-20 19:12:48 UTC
I wonder, would the SW’s consider allowing Snappy to have a large winning
on his gambling activities?
Aw c’mon. First the Editor sits above the sw’s and the beetle failed to
get fratricide past whoever sits above the editor.
2018-07-20 20:22:50 UTC
whoever sits above the editor.
Alison Hindell these days.
2018-07-21 07:27:02 UTC
whoever sits above the editor.
Alison Hindell these days.
I thought she was the Editor?
2018-07-21 07:45:47 UTC
whoever sits above the editor.
Alison Hindell these days.
I thought she was the Editor?
She is, acting editor until the permanent (fsvo permanent) one starts. Is
that in September?
2018-07-21 08:48:12 UTC
whoever sits above the editor.
Alison Hindell these days.
I thought she was the Editor?
She is, acting editor until the permanent (fsvo permanent) one starts. Is
that in September?
He has already been attending meetings and assented to the Shula divorce.

Hindell is his boss and has stepped in a temporary editor.
2018-07-21 08:51:53 UTC
whoever sits above the editor.
Alison Hindell these days.
I thought she was the Editor?
She is, acting editor until the permanent (fsvo permanent) one starts. Is
that in September?
In which case I doubt we are hearing new stories of any significance. Back
in the last century when I wrote a dissertation on TA as part of an MA, I
learned storylines were divided into a variety of future time segments. I
can’t recall what these were back then but they covered weeks, months and
years. I assume the long term plans can be changed by an Editor.

I believe this happened when soc turned up with his coercive control idea
which so excited the ptb. Unfortunately the unintended consequences of how
he played this out left listeners with a highly fragmented experience of
events and others dropped and truncated to suit this one trick monkey’s big
idea.

My hunch is that if Brain and effer flagged their wish to be less
foregrounded in Ambridge life a huge number of discussions will have taken
place about the opportunity and challenge this throws up. For one thing, I
sense the younger characters have been foregrounded and if Brain is less of
a wicked baron, who will be designated to take on the negatives and the
dramatic tension in the coming years.

That’s my 2.5 p 🤨. Look forward to reading others’ views.
2018-07-21 09:19:07 UTC
[...]
All of the long term planning got canned by SoC when he arrived and has
not been picked up since. HK-J didn't use it either. It is hoped the
new editor will re-instate but no-one knows.

Hindell last time had to mop up the Rob mess (which she did pretty well)
but this time I reckon has stuck her oar in giving us the Shula divorce
which someone has been waiting to use for ages but it needed the other
nonsense to stop. Home Farm was foreshadowed - but we all knew the
partnership would not work and then history was ret conned to accelerate
the story. The new editor is attending meetings and has agreed the
divorce, I think the departure of Anisha was added to put some fire in
Snappy's belly as Lavinia clearly failed to do it well enough.

I doubt Mr and Mrs Collingwood actually want to leave - the stories are
too meaty.
2018-07-21 11:02:36 UTC
[...]
I am not convinced the five year plans were dumped by soc, or if they were,
could be restored.
2018-07-21 11:03:36 UTC
[...]
Think I should have said, “could not”. Sorry.
2018-07-21 11:42:46 UTC
On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 11:03:36 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
I am not convinced the five year plans were dumped by soc, or if they were,
could be restored.
Think I should have said, “could not”. Sorry.
YADTrump and I claim my $5 ;)
2018-07-21 12:41:49 UTC
Think I should have said, “could not”. Sorry.
YADTrump and I claim my $5 ;)
😛🤪
p***@never.here
2018-07-22 10:05:14 UTC
Think I should have said, ?could not?. Sorry.
YADTrump and I claim my $5 ;)
??
I'm sure Penny will be along to correct me if I'm wrong but Isuspect
she is referring to this;

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/07/17/donald-trump-summit-meant-say-why-wouldnt-russia/793488002/

or https://tinyurl.com/yah9xrum
Pete
Sid Nuncius
2018-07-21 16:23:53 UTC
I am not convinced the five year plans were dumped by soc, or if they were,
could be restored.
Think I should have said, “could not”. Sorry.
YADTrump and I claim my $5 ;)
I thought it was obvious that you meant to say YA not Trump AI don't
claim my $5 (which the Mexicans will pay).
2018-08-05 13:28:27 UTC
I am not convinced the five year plans were dumped by soc, or if they were,
could be restored.
Keri said they were. He hopes they will return.
2018-08-05 14:54:34 UTC
I am not convinced the five year plans were dumped by soc, or if they were,
could be restored.
Keri said they were. He hopes they will return.
I think they will be an option for an Editor. There has to be a five year
plan of some sort.
2018-07-21 11:51:59 UTC
[...]
Unless they’re (or one of them) not as fit as they might be for their ages?

2018-07-21 12:07:22 UTC
[...]
Sincerely Chris
Well, one has hole in his wallet, the other may be saddle sore.
2018-07-21 12:41:49 UTC
[...]
Miss Whiplash up to her old tricks?
2018-07-21 13:02:35 UTC
I doubt Mr and Mrs Collingwood actually want to leave - the stories are
too meaty.
They are both of an age where they may want to put their feet up an not
take on major commitments. I think I've also heard, in the past, that
Judy Bennett isn't/wasn't in the best of health[1], although I don't
know if the problem was a long term one or something fixable.

On the other hand, they might be happy to simply drift into being
background characters who are only heard occasionally. A cottage in
Loxley Barrett, or wherever, could suit Brian and Jenny well for that,
along with a dearth of stories centred on The Stables.
Try to live simply. A simple lifestyle freely chosen is a source of
strength. Do not be persuaded into buying what you do not need or cannot
afford. (Quaker Advices and Queries #41)
krw
2018-08-05 13:41:16 UTC
They are both of an age where they may want to put their feet up an
not take on major commitments.  I think I've also heard, in the past,
that Judy Bennett isn't/wasn't in the best of health[1], although I
don't know if the problem was a long term one or something fixable.
On the other hand, they might be happy to simply drift into being
background characters who are only heard occasionally.  A cottage in
Loxley Barrett, or wherever, could suit Brian and Jenny well for that,
along with a dearth of stories centred on The Stables.
[1]?
Good question but, after a lapse of a couple of weeks or so, I can't
remember what I was going to say. I think it might have been the final
clause, which may originally, have been going to be a footnote. In that
case, I can't remember what I had been thinking of going on to say
instead, for the rest of that sentence.
Q. What do you get if you cross a hen with a bedside clock?
A. An alarm cluck!
krw
2018-08-05 15:04:30 UTC
[...]
Well Shula appears to have lost her senses but that does not imply there
is anything wrong with Judy Bennett.
2018-08-05 15:17:14 UTC
[...]
I'm pretty sure I heard, some time ago, that that was why we hadn't
heard much of Shula in recent years. I don't know if the fact we've
recently heard rather more of her is down to Judy Bennett having
recovered from whatever had been wrong with her or if it's more a last
hurrah for Shula.
Enjoy life, you will never get out alive.
krw
2018-08-05 16:01:10 UTC
I'm pretty sure I heard, some time ago, that that was why we hadn't
heard much of Shula in recent years.  I don't know if the fact we've
recently heard rather more of her is down to Judy Bennett having
recovered from whatever had been wrong with her or if it's more a last
hurrah for Shula.
Yes I think Charles mentioned in an interview. She is 75 whilst Shula
is a lot younger - Colin Skipp had a similar difficult age gap which led
to his being recast. And she was certainly missing for some time but I
put that down as much to an editor obsessed with other matters as to
unavailability.

I still do not see the current stories as leading to an exit for Shula -
most obviously there has not been a pony obsessed kid (in the way Shula
was) who is able to acquire the Stables.

A solution to the divorce might be for Alastair to buy the Stables and
land from Shula which gives her the money to buy the house from him.
She then sells the house and decides to move away. Alastair employs a
professional to manage the Stables who buys the house from Shula.
Perhaps the husband of the professional stables manager is married to a vet?
2018-08-06 11:14:55 UTC
They are both of an age where they may want to put their feet up an
not take on major commitments.  I think I've also heard, in the past,
that Judy Bennett isn't/wasn't in the best of health[1], although I
don't know if the problem was a long term one or something fixable.
(Hope the latter, of course.)
Post by Serena Blanchflower
On the other hand, they might be happy to simply drift into being
background characters who are only heard occasionally.  A cottage in
Loxley Barrett, or wherever, could suit Brian and Jenny well for that,
along with a dearth of stories centred on The Stables.
[]
Difficult one. Despite _occasional_ utterances that he's getting tired
of things, I don't think Brian is ready for the pipe and slippers
lifestyle quite yet. And I _think_ Jenny - not so much _likes_ her
lifestyle as lady bountiful, lady of the manor, or whatever, as just
_assumes_ it - without malice, despite what Susan often thinks. And she
(Jennifer) does sometimes seem to actively enjoy organising events - I
think she rather enjoyed doing Ruth's, for example. I can't see them -
their characters, anyway, fine if their Good Friends want to -
believable settling down in a cottage.

Of course, these days, in estate-agent speak, a "cottage" might be
something with 3 or 4 b w en-suite and a triple garage, and maybe a
staff ...

[Actually, do B&J have staff at the moment - I mean domestic, such as a
cleaner, not things where they can appropriate farm employees? I don't
think so.]
Won't you come into the garden? I would like my roses to see you. -Richard
Serena Blanchflower
2018-08-06 11:26:02 UTC
[...]
I agree with you about Brian and Jennifer but, when I was referring to
them choosing to drift into the background, I was thinking more about
their close friends. After all, they are all well into their 70s and it
would be perfectly reasonable for any of them to feel that they'd rather
put their feet up, rather than be tied to Ambridge so much.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Of course, these days, in estate-agent speak, a "cottage" might be
something with 3 or 4 b w en-suite and a triple garage, and maybe a
staff ...
[Actually, do B&J have staff at the moment - I mean domestic, such as a
cleaner, not things where they can appropriate farm employees? I don't
think so.]
I know they have had a cleaner, in the past (Betty Tucker worked for
Jenny, for a while) and I think, since then, there's been a very
occasional reference to someone. It's possible that they don't have any
help now but I think it's far more likely that they do, even if it's
agency cleaners, rather than someone they employ directly.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. (Aesop)
Mike
2018-08-06 11:44:11 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Of course, these days, in estate-agent speak, a "cottage" might be
something with 3 or 4 b w en-suite and a triple garage, and maybe a
staff ...
[Actually, do B&J have staff at the moment - I mean domestic, such as a
cleaner, not things where they can appropriate farm employees? I don't
think so.]
I know they have had a cleaner, in the past (Betty Tucker worked for
Jenny, for a while) and I think, since then, there's been a very
occasional reference to someone. It's possible that they don't have any
help now but I think it's far more likely that they do, even if it's
agency cleaners, rather than someone they employ directly.
Didn’t Squire Brian ‘try it on with ‘staff’ (Betty I think)?
2018-08-06 15:32:14 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Of course, these days, in estate-agent speak, a "cottage" might be
something with 3 or 4 b w en-suite and a triple garage, and maybe a
staff ...
[Actually, do B&J have staff at the moment - I mean domestic, such as a
cleaner, not things where they can appropriate farm employees? I don't
think so.]
I know they have had a cleaner, in the past (Betty Tucker worked for
Jenny, for a while) and I think, since then, there's been a very
occasional reference to someone. It's possible that they don't have any
help now but I think it's far more likely that they do, even if it's
agency cleaners, rather than someone they employ directly.
Didn’t Squire Brian ‘try it on with ‘staff’ (Betty I think)?
Yes, I seem to remember him chasing her around the swimming pool before
she immediately handed in her notice.
For all that has been, thanks. For all that shall be, yes. (Dag
Hammarskjold)
Btms
2018-08-06 17:00:38 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Of course, these days, in estate-agent speak, a "cottage" might be
something with 3 or 4 b w en-suite and a triple garage, and maybe a
staff ...
[Actually, do B&J have staff at the moment - I mean domestic, such as a
cleaner, not things where they can appropriate farm employees? I don't
think so.]
I know they have had a cleaner, in the past (Betty Tucker worked for
Jenny, for a while) and I think, since then, there's been a very
occasional reference to someone. It's possible that they don't have any
help now but I think it's far more likely that they do, even if it's
agency cleaners, rather than someone they employ directly.
Didn’t Squire Brian ‘try it on with ‘staff’ (Betty I think)?
Almost certainly. A tried and tested device. Poor Moll.
2018-08-06 21:40:47 UTC
Didn’t Squire Brian ‘try it on with ‘staff’ (Betty I think)?
Don't remember the Betty incident though I wouldn't be at all surprised.
I know Clarrie wasn't an employee but I distinctly remember Brian and
the Wood Pigeons.

2018-08-07 02:56:56 UTC
Didn’t Squire Brian ‘try it on with ‘staff’ (Betty I think)?
Don't remember the Betty incident though I wouldn't be at all
surprised. I know Clarrie wasn't an employee but I distinctly remember
Brian and the Wood Pigeons.
Nick
An unusual second album ...

A sleekzorp without a tornpee is like a quop without a fertsneet (sort of).
RC Mitchell
2018-08-08 23:01:06 UTC
Didn’t Squire Brian ‘try it on with ‘staff’ (Betty I think)?
Now that's going back a bit. I wouldn't bet my life on it but I'm pretty
sure that story came to a head round about the time of the Great
Storm/Market Crash of 1987. Thirty-one years ago nearly. I'm feeling old
all of a sudden.

RnT
BrritSki
2018-08-09 07:33:11 UTC
Post by RC Mitchell
Post by Mike
Didn’t Squire Brian ‘try it on with ‘staff’ (Betty I think)?
Now that's going back a bit. I wouldn't bet my life on it but I'm pretty
sure that story came to a head round ...
I thought the whole point was that it DIDN'T come to a head ?

Btms
2018-08-06 11:51:12 UTC
[...]
They must have cleaners. I do. And a gardener. But I don’t have a big
house.