Ask EU: Libre Office
2020-08-19 20:58:32 UTC
I have a Mac and am trying out Libre Office instead of MS Word and Excel.
Does anyone else here use it on a Mac and have you found any disadvantages?
2020-08-20 03:30:16 UTC
On 19 Aug 2020 20:58:32 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
I have a Mac and am trying out Libre Office instead of MS Word and Excel.
Does anyone else here use it on a Mac and have you found any disadvantages?
I do not have a Mac but I have been using Libre Office and its
predecessor for ages. Before I retired I used to find I could exchange
documents between Libre Office and the MS equivalents with no
difficulty at all. I have heard that it is not very clever at
faithfully transcribing the more sophisticated functions of word
processing and spreadsheeting from Office to Libre Office and/or the
other way round but it was not a limitation I ever came up against.

2020-08-20 08:26:11 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
I have a Mac and am trying out Libre Office instead of MS Word and Excel.
Does anyone else here use it on a Mac and have you found any disadvantages?
I do not have a Mac but I have been using Libre Office and its
predecessor for ages. Before I retired I used to find I could exchange
documents between Libre Office and the MS equivalents with no
difficulty at all. I have heard that it is not very clever at
faithfully transcribing the more sophisticated functions of word
processing and spreadsheeting from Office to Libre Office and/or the
other way round but it was not a limitation I ever came up against.
Thanks Nick. It was the exchanging of documents I was concerned about.
[My Mac has a new updated OS so the very old version of Office I had will
no longer work and MSpit wants me to take out a mortgage every year for the
dubious privilege of using their services.]
2020-08-20 10:14:04 UTC
On 20 Aug 2020 08:26:11 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
I have a Mac and am trying out Libre Office instead of MS Word and Excel.
Does anyone else here use it on a Mac and have you found any disadvantages?
I do not have a Mac but I have been using Libre Office and its
predecessor for ages. Before I retired I used to find I could exchange
documents between Libre Office and the MS equivalents with no
difficulty at all. I have heard that it is not very clever at
faithfully transcribing the more sophisticated functions of word
processing and spreadsheeting from Office to Libre Office and/or the
other way round but it was not a limitation I ever came up against.
Thanks Nick. It was the exchanging of documents I was concerned about.
[My Mac has a new updated OS so the very old version of Office I had will
no longer work and MSpit wants me to take out a mortgage every year for the
dubious privilege of using their services.]
In my experience of M$ office and Open Office (an earlier free suite,
similar to Libre Office), the stated incompatibilities between the two
related largely to formatting - although Open Office was happy to open docs
created in M$ Office and would save docs as .doc if you wanted (with some
caveats relating to formatting).

The fact you have been using an ancient version of M$ Office probably means
any possible problems are less than they might have been IYSWIM.
2020-08-20 14:08:49 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
I have a Mac and am trying out Libre Office instead of MS Word and Excel.
Does anyone else here use it on a Mac and have you found any disadvantages?
I do not have a Mac but I have been using Libre Office and its
predecessor for ages. Before I retired I used to find I could exchange
documents between Libre Office and the MS equivalents with no
difficulty at all. I have heard that it is not very clever at
faithfully transcribing the more sophisticated functions of word
processing and spreadsheeting from Office to Libre Office and/or the
other way round but it was not a limitation I ever came up against.
Nick
I get constant complaints from one committee member that the odt (or
other files) are zip files and their ipad cannot read them so they are a
real pain in the neck!
2020-08-20 22:08:43 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
I have a Mac and am trying out Libre Office instead of MS Word and Excel.
Does anyone else here use it on a Mac and have you found any disadvantages?
I do not have a Mac but I have been using Libre Office and its
predecessor for ages. Before I retired I used to find I could exchange
documents between Libre Office and the MS equivalents with no
difficulty at all. I have heard that it is not very clever at
faithfully transcribing the more sophisticated functions of word
processing and spreadsheeting from Office to Libre Office and/or the
other way round but it was not a limitation I ever came up against.
Nick
I get constant complaints from one committee member that the odt (or
other files) are zip files and their ipad cannot read them so they are a
real pain in the neck!
I (used to) use the Save as... functions to provide the documents in
whatever form the recipient wanted.

Incidentally (swerve) I am feeling pretty pleased with myself -
probably unjustifiably but pretty pleased nevertheless. Yesterday I
stripped the password protection off a PDF document by using the Linux
Print to PDF function and saving the result.

2020-08-20 21:38:49 UTC
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 19:08:43, Nick Odell
I get constant complaints from one committee member that the odt (or
other files) are zip files and their ipad cannot read them so they are a
real pain in the neck!
They _are_ .zip files, just with a different extension.
Post by Nick Odell
I (used to) use the Save as... functions to provide the documents in
whatever form the recipient wanted.
If I ever got access to an offender's machine for more than a minute or
two, I changed the default to save as .doc (or .xls); I've yet to
encounter anyone who actually _uses_ whatever extra facilities the new
format offers, so they don't even notice. AFAIK, even the latest Office
still can save in .doc . I use 2003, and the only thing I can think of
that I use that 1998 (I had a 1998 version of '97) didn't have is cell
content positioning.

Assuming your complaining member is using 2003, there are patches that
allow 2003 to open (though not save) .docx (works transparently, i. e.
once you've installed the patches, if you try to open a .docx, it just
opens (it _may_ warn you that some features aren't available, but only
on the rare occasion that the creator has actually used them); I don't
think you can still get the patches from MS, but they should still be
findable. (If you can't, I've almost certainly got them.)
Post by Nick Odell
Incidentally (swerve) I am feeling pretty pleased with myself -
probably unjustifiably but pretty pleased nevertheless. Yesterday I
stripped the password protection off a PDF document by using the Linux
Print to PDF function and saving the result.
(-: [I haven't tried that with the Windows print to PDF I have (I use
pdf995, but there are many); I haven't encountered a protected PDF for
ages, or at least not one I wanted to do anything with that needed that
doing.]
John

The breathtaking wonders of nature revealed to the soothing tones of Sir David
Attenborough. Life doesn't get much better than that.
- Ben Preston, Radio Times editor (2016/11/26-12/2)
BrritSki
2020-08-21 07:31:29 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I (used to) use the Save as... functions to provide the documents in
whatever form the recipient wanted.
If I ever got access to an offender's machine for more than a minute or
two, I changed the default to save as .doc
If you'd ever done that to me you'd never have had access to my machine
again. What outrageous presumption !
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-08-21 15:08:33 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I (used to) use the Save as... functions to provide the documents in
whatever form the recipient wanted.
If I ever got access to an offender's machine for more than a minute
or two, I changed the default to save as .doc
If you'd ever done that to me you'd never have had access to my machine
again. What outrageous presumption !
Not savvy users, obviously; only the sort of corporate drone who just
lets the company IT department do everything, and don't understand such
matters or what problems their default setting causes other users!

Whoever decided to limit tagline length to 68 characters can kiss my
Sam Plusnet
2020-08-21 20:03:06 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I (used to) use the Save as... functions to provide the documents in
If I ever got access to an offender's machine for more than a minute or
two, I changed the default to save as .doc (or .xls); I've yet to
encounter anyone who actually _uses_ whatever extra facilities the new
format offers, so they don't even notice. AFAIK, even the latest Office
still can save in .doc .  I use 2003, and the only thing I can think of
that I use that 1998 (I had a 1998 version of '97) didn't have is cell
content positioning.
Assuming your complaining member is using 2003, there are patches that
allow 2003 to open (though not save) .docx (works transparently,
The key word (sorry) in Nick's post was "Ipad". If you buy kit from a
company who claim "It just works!" then it's obvious that any problems
must be someone else's fault.
2020-08-22 15:59:34 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I (used to) use the Save as... functions to provide the documents in
If I ever got access to an offender's machine for more than a minute
or two, I changed the default to save as .doc (or .xls); I've yet to
encounter anyone who actually _uses_ whatever extra facilities the new
format offers, so they don't even notice. AFAIK, even the latest
Office still can save in .doc .  I use 2003, and the only thing I can
think of that I use that 1998 (I had a 1998 version of '97) didn't
have is cell content positioning.
Assuming your complaining member is using 2003, there are patches that
allow 2003 to open (though not save) .docx (works transparently,
The key word (sorry) in Nick's post was "Ipad".  If you buy kit from a
company who claim "It just works!" then it's obvious that any problems
must be someone else's fault.
My post - but the problem is pretty real - I have not yet found anything
which will interpret an odt file on an ipad. If anyone knows of
anything do let me know please?
2020-08-22 17:26:55 UTC
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 16:59:34 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
My post - but the problem is pretty real - I have not yet found anything
which will interpret an odt file on an ipad. If anyone knows of
anything do let me know please?
I think you've already been given the answer - open the odt file and save
it in a compatible format before sending it to the ipad user.
2020-08-24 09:40:12 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
My post - but the problem is pretty real - I have not yet found anything
which will interpret an odt file on an ipad. If anyone knows of
anything do let me know please?
I think you've already been given the answer - open the odt file and save
it in a compatible format before sending it to the ipad user.
Which I accept - but why can't Apple comprehend the file format - it is
a standard after all.
2020-08-24 11:45:46 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
My post - but the problem is pretty real - I have not yet found anything
which will interpret an odt file on an ipad. If anyone knows of
anything do let me know please?
I think you've already been given the answer - open the odt file and save
it in a compatible format before sending it to the ipad user.
Which I accept - but why can't Apple comprehend the file format - it is
a standard after all.
Ah but... isn’t Office a Micro$oft product? Competition is not
neccesscelery the same thing as co-operation!
Joe Kerr
2020-08-24 16:14:21 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
My post - but the problem is pretty real - I have not yet found anything
which will interpret an odt file on an ipad. If anyone knows of
anything do let me know please?
I think you've already been given the answer - open the odt file and save
it in a compatible format before sending it to the ipad user.
Which I accept - but why can't Apple comprehend the file format - it is
a standard after all.
Ah but... isn’t Office a Micro$oft product? Competition is not
neccesscelery the same thing as co-operation!
Office is. LibreOffice isn't. Open Document Format files (odt, ods, odp,
odg, odf) files are a standard - not MS formats, though newer MS
products can read them.
--
Ric